Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Transfer all data to new version (feature request for the next iteration DROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Transfer all data to new version (+2)  
I know this is a long way off, but I want it to get stuck in the dev's minds, if that makes any sense. Basically, transferring my progress from DROD 2 to DROD 3 was very annoying, as I had to go re-download every hold I had ever played, a sizeable number, before re-importing my player. I do not want to do that again, and I also would like to get rid of this directory that now contains half the hold files out there. Please tell me that DROD 4, or even 3.1.1, will be able to get progress directly from other version of DROD, without ridiculous efforts on my part.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 12-12-2007 11:56 PM]
12-11-2007 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: Transfer all data to new version (0)  
Since the list of the holds played can be retrieved from the player file and holds can be downloaded in-game, DROD could automatically download all the holds and then properly import the player file. It requires subscription, yes, but it seems to be simplest solution.

Another solution would be to export the player holds into a separate file (*.playerholds file, for example). When importing player file, the system would check for the existence of playerholds file with the same name in the same directory and import all the holds and the player file.

Any other ideas?

03-20-2008 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
eb0ny wrote:
Since the list of the holds played can be retrieved from the player file and holds can be downloaded in-game, DROD could automatically download all the holds and then properly import the player file. It requires subscription, yes, but it seems to be simplest solution.
The subscription requirement doesn't deserve that offhand dismissal. I don't want all the crap holds taking up my hard drive space, only the good ones. Some of my hold collection are on Architecture or other places and can't be downloaded thus. Ones I'm building may not be exported anywhere. And this would require ridiculous amounts of time and bandwidth on even the best connection, and rule out anyone with dial-up or no connection at all.
Another solution would be to export the player holds into a separate file (*.playerholds file, for example). When importing player file, the system would check for the existence of playerholds file with the same name in the same directory and import all the holds and the player file.
A roundabout way of things. If we wanted to go the external route, the best way would surely be a resource converter utility.

03-20-2008 at 09:41 PM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
So, an exporter appears the better idea of the two. What if the two files I have mentioned above are merged into a single *.player file? Sure, it becomes big and bloated, but it works.

Because of the file's size, there should be exporting options. I.e. what holds to export along with the profile. There should appear a new window with name field, confirmation and cancel buttons and four checkboxes with the following options:

> Mastered - The 100% completed holds.
> Conquered - All completed holds, regardless of the percentage.
> Started - All started holds.
> Untouched - All the remaining holds.

I guess there should also be an option to define the custom selection.

...Am I too thorough?

03-21-2008 at 04:18 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Transfer all data to new version (+1)  
Um, I thought the original idea was you just click on a button in DROD, point it at an older drod version, and bing! Your progress is transferred over. Easy.
03-23-2008 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Um, I thought the original idea was you just click on a button in DROD, point it at an older drod version, and bing! Your progress is transferred over. Easy.

Yes this! And it would be extra-special-sauce if it would also transfer over custom clocks and tar images. Or at least provide a GUI for managing these.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
12-22-2011 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Whoa, blast from the past. I guess this request applies to DROD 4 too though.

12-22-2011 at 05:18 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I wrote this on the other thread but decided to put this here too:

I downloaded all the holds (not just the ones I had progress in) by using shift + click on all the holds, clicking "Download" and then leaving it for an hour or two while it downloaded everything.

I then went back and imported the profile I'd exported from TCB. I seem to have all my progress for all the downloaded holds now. I even managed to merge another profile I had at the same time so it looks like I've got everything consolidated into this one file.

04-02-2012 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Transfer all data to new version (+7)  
west.logan wrote:
I wrote this on the other thread but decided to put this here too:

I downloaded all the holds (not just the ones I had progress in) by using shift + click on all the holds, clicking "Download" and then leaving it for an hour or two while it downloaded everything.

I then went back and imported the profile I'd exported from TCB. I seem to have all my progress for all the downloaded holds now. I even managed to merge another profile I had at the same time so it looks like I've got everything consolidated into this one file.

I have a similar situation to yours, but I always end up with two players listed in the "Change Player" dialog, both with the same name. I never know which one contains the progress for any given hold.

If I download a hold that I've played before, I have to reimport all the player files I have lying around, not knowing which contains the progress for that hold. And after all that, I need to switch between the imported players in that dialog to determine which one has the desired progress.

It's a big frustrating mess. :evilmad:

A new approach needs to be taken with TSS:

Either store all player progress in the cloud (presumably only for those with CaravelNet subscriptions) so that all progress will be immediately shown for all holds under a single login.

And/or:

Allow easy merging of player accounts, and don't require reimporting ever. That means keeping track of progress for holds that aren't currently installed, so if they are installed later, no further action is needed to see the progress in those holds.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 06-08-2013 06:37 PM]
06-08-2013 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
disoriented wrote:
Either store all player progress in the cloud (presumably only for those with CaravelNet subscriptions) so that all progress will be immediately shown for all holds under a single login.
I support this idea.

Completely.

All the way.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-08-2013 at 06:38 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
You said you were implementing this, correct? Any status update?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-20-2014 at 02:22 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
One "simple" improvement that I can see would be if the progress for a hold was imported even if that hold isn't currently present. That way the player file could be exported and reimported without worrying about which holds had already been imported. Then later if the holds were imported, the saves would be available. Even better would be if the game could show a list of the "missing" holds.

06-20-2014 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I think our plans for this in a post-5.0 world are just "the Cloud". Yes, it would just be a premium service available only to CaravelNet subscribers, but I'm okay with that. But if someone wants to make a tool to take data from an old install and copy it over, that would be a neat thing.

06-20-2014 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
I'm having trouble consolidating all of my progress into a single
player running under the single master Engine 5.0.1.

I have DROD v5 and v4 installed, and in v5 I have the holds GETB and Flood Warning installed, but unplayed.

In v4 I have completed GETB and FW, I and export my complete player as a file: DRODV4.player

Then I launch v5 and import that player file.

When I'm done I see two players with the same name.

This didn't happen when I did the equivalent thing for version 3.

How should I proceed?

02-08-2015 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: Transfer all data to new version (+2)  
Wow, the H&S effect works even all the way out here!

The answer is to use the Export Saves Only button from DROD4 and to import that file into DROD5.

The only issue I'm seeing is that not all of my secret finding
is honored for the holds I import this way. I had 100% in the V4 engine, but 70% and 50% in v5: weird.

I'm expecting that when I revisit secret rooms, the counters will get back in sync.

Anyway, now for some nostalgic revisiting of old holds, and challenges!

Nuntar - more kudos - JTRH 5.0 looks even better than ever!

02-09-2015 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
It sounds like when you first started TSS you created a new player, rather than importing from GatEB. That means you have two players with different IDs (but the same name), so the game won't merge them.

Exporting saves like you did will get your progress across, but not any recorded demos.
02-09-2015 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Transfer all data to new version (feature request for the next iteration DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com