Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (All done now - thanks for your help!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged
icon Re: A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (0)  
Sorry, I know I said I would send my interview a couple of weeks ago, but haven't done yet.

I'll do so ASAP.

11-01-2011 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (+1)  

MHighbrow,

you said you'd send me the interview questions via PM, but I have not received them.

If you still need some answers, I'm available...
11-01-2011 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
Bombadil wrote:

MHighbrow,

you said you'd send me the interview questions via PM, but I have not received them.

If you still need some answers, I'm available...
Oops. That'll be my fault. I'll get on that right away, thanks for telling me.

While I'm here, is there anyone else who I've missed? I know there are a few other interview arrangements which came to nothing for whatever reason, which I plan to try to rearrange. If I missed you, don't be shy to tell me so!

[Last edited by MHighbrow at 11-02-2011 12:32 PM]
11-02-2011 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
MHighbrow wrote:
Oops. That'll be my fault. I'll get on that right away, thanks for telling me.

No problem. I'll try to send the answers to you this week!
11-02-2011 at 12:36 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I never applied so I don't suppose I can count, but I wouldn't mind doing an interview if you wish me to :).

11-02-2011 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Don't think I ever got the questionnaire sent to me. I might have time this weekend to zip through it.

11-02-2011 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I've finally answered the questionaire - sorry.

11-07-2011 at 11:28 PM
MHighbrow
Hah, don't apologise. You aren't late or anything. Looks like I came to the forums the instant you submitted that questionnaire, so I've got your responses. :)
11-07-2011 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
So, when do we get to see the fruits of your labour?
01-06-2012 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, if he hides it behind the :10bux: barrier, I'll copy and paste it for you, don't worry.
01-06-2012 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Done. Well played, my good sir.
01-06-2012 at 08:54 PM
MHighbrow
Trickster wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
So, when do we get to see the fruits of your labour?
I assume that Banjooie means: When will the verbatim results of our responses be posted directly to Something Awful forums once the charade of "thesis on DROD" is finally dropped?
... I actually have an account on SA. Don't tempt me.

No, seriously, I'd like to get the dissertation polished off and handed in first, to avoid any possible accusations of plagiarism by the university if they find this. (That's not likely to happen even if I post my findings now, of course, but this is worth a lot of my degree so I'm erring on the side of paranoia.) The hand-in date is fairly soon, so I'll talk to my tutor, get the dissertation handed in and hopefully have a summary up for you guys by the end of February.

Sorry for the late reply - I've been a bit lax in checking the DROD forums lately (I've had a couple other essays to attend to).
01-17-2012 at 12:21 PM
MHighbrow
Hope no one minds the double post - this is just to say that the dissertation's been handed in now, and I'll try to get a little post-mortem written up on it by the end of the week. I can't share the dissertation itself for a while but I think I'm okay to summarise how it went. I'll probably take down my post at the beginning of the thread when I do - seems silly to make people anonymous in the dissertation and then have all the details right there.

Thanks again to everyone who gave up their time to help me!
02-21-2012 at 02:45 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
If you want to take down your post, please edit it with an alternate text instead of deleting it, as that will delete the whole topic. ;)
02-22-2012 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
MHighbrow
icon Re: A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (+2)  
Okay, here's how it went:

First off, the dissertation changed a little during the writing. Not significantly enough to make all the data collection pointless, of course, but, well, some ideas worked and some didn't. The main change was the content analysis, which ended up not being very helpful at all. I ended up with some pretty superficial findings like "people are more likely to post about creativity on the Architecture boards," which I don't think you needed a dissertation to figure out for yourselves. So that got largely dropped, and I focused on the interview responses instead (which, again, were incredibly helpful!). I also ended up focusing the study a little more on community identity, rather than online communities in general, just as something to anchor the study around.

So, what did I find? Well, although I can't give you a fully detailed account for a while (dissertation are gonna take a few months to get marked and processed and everything), I can give you a summary of what I think are the key points I found. Note that a lot of these are my opinion based on the interviews and what I've noticed while I've been here, so you may well think I'm wrong. That's fair enough, although there's not much I can do about it now. :P

1) Firstly, there are definite expectations of etiquette around here, and more than a few of you pointed out that people who break this etiquette, accidentally or otherwise, tend to get made fun of. That's nothing new or unique to this community - there's at least one study from as far back as the mid-90s which noticed that people in newsgroups who made a faux-pas were strongly disapproved of. There's a bit of concern that this might be exclusionary to people trying to participate in the community, although obviously no-one here is trying to drive out other people.

2) Caravel provides spaces of creativity in the Architecture boards and the Hold boards (as well as other places like contests). In these spaces, there seems to be a few rigid expectations for how to contribute - if I want to make a hold I need to use DROD to build a hold and it needs to be fully functional (rooms need to be completable, etc) before it can enter the Holds board.

Now, there's a guy called Jaron Lanier who I'm guessing a few of you will know of - he was a pioneer of virtual reality technology and is pretty important in computer science. Lanier is strongly opposed to the Web 2.0 trend of collaboration online, and wrote a book setting out his arguments (You Are Not A Gadget: A Manifesto). One of his key arguments is that individual identities are sacrificed in the name of conforming to a particular idea of community or to fit into templates set out by websites - for example, Wikipedia demands a particular writing style with an impartial viewpoint, so you can't bring your own ideas and flair into any articles you write for Wikipedia. So with the DROD community, it could be that these rigid expectations drain individual identities from a hold to enforce community expectations.

Obviously, this doesn't quite hold water. These processes of quality control are put in place because holds in DROD aren't passively experienced by the user - the user has to actually play the holds to get entertainment out of them. The idea that holds need to be completable, for example, is largely to avoid annoying the player, not to squash identity.

Those first two points don't really say much about community identity and creativity, but they tie into the third point:

3) There's an expected, though unofficial, process of creativity in how everyone on the Architecture board will provide suggestions for how to improve the hold. This process of collaboration encourages a kind of creative etiquette - from the interview responses there seems to be certain expectations of some kind of difficulty, avoiding tedious ideas for puzzles and rooms, and so on. But other expressions of identity and creativity within the holds, like character dialogue, tend to be left alone save for spelling corrections. So instead of quashing individual identity in the name of community expectations, you encourage certain values in hold design without harming the original intent of the holds in terms of puzzle ideas and storylines.

So I think community identity is built and reinforced at least in part by creativity being standardised to fit community expectations without sacrificing individual expressions of identity to do it. Obviously this is a very condensed form of the argument, and it's a bit more detailed in the dissertation, but I'm erring on the side of caution here still. I hope that's clear enough - I can try to clarify if need be. To be honest, much of this is personal opinion based on the evidence, because you would not believe how little geographical literature there is on this kind of thing.

Thank you again for all your help! The dissertation's all finished now, and I couldn't have done it without you. :) I think I got at least one quote in there from each person who responded, but even if I didn't use your responses you were still very helpful.

One of these days I should probably get around to making my own hold. I've got a handful of rooms on my hard drive from 2010 here but I've never done anything with them...
02-24-2012 at 03:26 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
That's actually pretty interesting (the conforming aspect). I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for sharing!

Though to my mind there is indeed "good" architecture and there is "bad", so at this point I don't see a problem with a few strong opinions influencing the holds being made. I'm glad that most seem to encourage creative license and just point out obvious things like checkpoints needed or pointless rooms or ones that are simply tedious. So the process seems to work well here :)

02-24-2012 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
west.logan wrote:
That's actually pretty interesting (the conforming aspect). I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for sharing!

Though to my mind there is indeed "good" architecture and there is "bad", so at this point I don't see a problem with a few strong opinions influencing the holds being made. I'm glad that most seem to encourage creative license and just point out obvious things like checkpoints needed or pointless rooms or ones that are simply tedious. So the process seems to work well here :)

Yeah, there is architecture which doesn't made for great puzzles, but I don't think I've ever seen "bad" architecture get completely rejected in the Architecture board - even in those threads where the author makes a lot of, let's call them "rookie mistakes," other people will patiently walk them through what they've done right and what they could do better, instead of completely tearing them apart. That came through in the interview responses as well. As for creative license, I've never seen anyone go, for example, "your story is dreadful, I think it would be better if the Slayer was a vampire" or whatever. Maybe it's happened before, but there wasn't any mention of that kind of thing in the responses and I never saw it happen.
02-27-2012 at 03:52 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Great analysis! I would love to see your finished piece if that's possible.

In any case, you've certainly captured the essence of an online forum dedicated to creative expression.

[Last edited by Syntax at 03-24-2012 06:16 AM]
03-24-2012 at 06:16 AM
MHighbrow
icon Re: A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (+2)  
Hi all! Got a couple of important updates on this for you all.

The dissertation went down incredibly well! It received a final mark of 78%, giving me a first class degree. I can't thank you all enough for the help you've given me here - I'm massively grateful to all of you!

Now, I know I'm overdue to show you guys the dissertation itself, and I'm sorry about that. However, there is a very good reason for that:

I might be getting the dissertation published! My dissertation tutor has floated the idea of us editing and trimming the dissertation for publication in an academic journal. It'll need a lot of work before it could happen, but I would love to make it happen if I can. Once I know if we're definitely going ahead with this or not, I'll get into contact with everyone here who helped out to make sure they're okay with being in a published article. Watch this space!

If you want to email me now, by the way, my new email address is alexjharby@gmail.com (I've graduated from Leicester now, so I'll lose my university email account in a few weeks). Or just use PMs!

Sincere thanks again to everyone here!
08-06-2012 at 02:05 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
MHighbrow wrote:
The dissertation went down incredibly well! It received a final mark of 78%, giving me a first class degree. I can't thank you all enough for the help you've given me here - I'm massively grateful to all of you!
Congratulations!

I know what a large accomplishment this is. You should be proud. :)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

08-06-2012 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A dissertation all about Caravel Forums! (please read!) (All done now - thanks for your help!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com