Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Is there something in the forum's water supply?
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
Elfstone you are not allowed to retire to a cottage that doesn't have internet. :|
Don't get us wrong: the first part is not causing the objection, it's the last part. By any chance did you buy the 3G iPad? Vodafone offers pretty good 3G packages and I'm sure other providers do as well. We used one while in Ireland; it was great. You won't be able to be play DROD on it (unless one of the current projects is an iOS version of DROD (pretty please?)) but you will be able to surf and log into chat.
07-11-2011 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Jatopian wrote:Because we'll miss you. :(
:blush :) :kiss

noma wrote:Don't get us wrong: the first part is not causing the objection, it's the last part. By any chance did you buy the 3G iPad? Vodafone offers pretty good 3G packages and I'm sure other providers do as well. We used one while in Ireland; it was great. You won't be able to be play DROD on it (unless one of the current projects is an iOS version of DROD (pretty please?)) but you will be able to surf and log into chat.
no - I don't have one of those fancy 3G phones and so I didn't bother with the 3G iPad. It was going to cost more and at that point I didn't think it worth it - still don't to be honest.
(When I move permanently to Raasay I will get BT to connect the phone line. ;) )

07-12-2011 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Tim wrote:
If anyone feels that they are being treated unfriendly on this Caravel Forum, can contact Caravel. Caravel doesn't like unhappy customers, and you might be helped.
I still don't even know what this is all about. Unless Tim is trying to bully someone off the forum.
07-13-2011 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
I still don't even know what this is all about. Unless Tim is trying to bully someone off the forum.
I think this is the opposite case. If someone feels like they are being treated badly on the forum, Tim sounds like he advises that they get in contact with Caravel to resolve the dispute (if it was unresolvable between the two parties for whatever reason).

I doubt Tim is lying about this "offer", since he is a part of Caravel. Even if he is not credible, I have a nagging suspicion that Caravel would like happy customers instead of unhappy customers, and will do what they can to ensure forum disputes are resolved without too many hurt feelings. Do people agree with this, at the very least?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-14-2011 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
If Tim is in charge of it, I predict Caravel will not do what they can, whether it is because they are incapable or unwilling. Tim strikes me as very fractious and embittered for some time now.

Edit: And if anyone is thinking "Look who's talking," I would say to them: Yes, look who's talking. That Jatopian knows a thing or two about being fractious and embittered.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-14-2011 02:13 AM]
07-14-2011 at 02:12 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
But I thought you were a human being at some point.
07-14-2011 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
I was, and I am now. But for a while there I was a truculent troll.

07-14-2011 at 02:23 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Tahnan wrote:
Tim wrote:
If anyone feels that they are being treated unfriendly on this Caravel Forum, can contact Caravel. Caravel doesn't like unhappy customers, and you might be helped.
It's about people who feel who are treated unfriendly, Tahnan.

And just for the record, the only person I can think of who makes me feel unwelcome on this forum, is you. You will probably see this as a personal attack or something, but it's just the truth. There is plenty of immaturity and silliness, a lot of sarcasm, toes are being stepped on inadvertently all the time, but when it comes to outright hostility, oh yeah, that Tahnan guy.

Could be just circumstantial (and yes, I did pronounce it like an Italian mobster), but that's the cold, hard facts. Overall, it's a great forum full of wonderful and intelligent people with insightful contributions, and this is why I am still here. Keep up the good work!

07-14-2011 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I personally have no problem with brutal honesty, when it serves as constructive criticism.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-14-2011 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (-5)  
NoahT wrote:
I personally have no problem with brutal honesty, when it serves as constructive criticism.
Not everyone shares that viewpoint, though.

EDIT: An example of Tahnan's erm... delectable humor. And forthrightness. And rudeness.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 07-14-2011 09:29 AM]
07-14-2011 at 09:00 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Jatopian wrote:
Tim strikes me as very fractious and embittered for some time now.
I love how people are still trying to overanalyze me instead of looking at the real problem :)

When I wrote the other post I was trying to get official permission to post some screenshots of the next SmS on the forum (and making the screenshots myself obviously).

And when I came back to the forum, what did I see? People with management qualities* fighting each other, chasing other other people away. What's the point of posting them on the forum if there are no customers left? Why not just send the news to the regular games news sites instead?

*) There's this saying that only bad managers are inconsiderate to other people. Nowadays I just call them "people with management qualities". :)

By the way, why are you guys still talking about me instead of those (hidden) screenshots that I've released in the forum? You must have found them by now. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-14-2011 10:14 AM]
07-14-2011 at 10:04 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Things I care about:
Checking the entire forum for random screenshots of a hold that's going to be released soon.
Kittens.
Things that are lies:
The first thing on the list of things I care about.
Anything a stripper tells you about the champagne room.

PS: still trying to find out who precisely we've successfully chased off the forum
PPS: 12th Archivist don't link posts like that because that was hilarious and oh god my side hurts now

[Last edited by Banjooie at 07-14-2011 01:02 PM]
07-14-2011 at 12:59 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
It wasn't hard to find. I'm not sure how excited I should be about it though :)

Or is that a new character?

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-14-2011 01:08 PM]
07-14-2011 at 01:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Tim wrote:
By the way, why are you guys still talking about me instead of those (hidden) screenshots that I've released in the forum? You must have found them by now. :)
Nope, can only find the one. Any hints as to where the rest could be? If that picture is called Sms4.png, that probably implies there are at least 3 more pictures hidden somewhere.

A search for "Well done! You've found a screenshot! Picture uploaded with permission from Caravel." doesn't yield any results.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-14-2011 11:04 PM : spelling]
07-14-2011 at 01:09 PM
west.logan
da rogu3 wrote:
If that picture is called Sms4.png, that implies there are at least 3 more picture hidden somewhere.

Not necessarily. Tim could have taken four (or more) and then picked what he thought was the best one, and be too lazy to change the file name.

Or...he could want you to think there are at least three more, just to be evil :D

07-14-2011 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
west.logan wrote:
Or is that a new character?

That's an old character. We met him already in The City Beneath.

Screenshot #4 is the relatively boring one anyhow.

As for hints for the rest of them, as far as I know there aren't any others to find right now, but Tim's in the process of talking to Schik about where to hide another one that'll be a bit more interesting.

07-14-2011 at 02:10 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+2)  
I've seen a lot of people write some pretty unfriendly posts, here and elsewhere.

And every single one of them seems to believe they are helping the community... :huh

Don't take this as an attack or anything, I just think it would be good if we all could calm down a little.

07-14-2011 at 05:42 PM
Jatopian
icon Re: Is there something in the forum's water supply? (+3)  
12th Archivist wrote:
EDIT: An example of Tahnan's erm... delectable humor. And forthrightness. And rudeness.
Wasn't Mr. Slice the multi you made for some kind of "social experiment" that involved seeing how we'd react to a newbie who was dumb for no reason? Or was that the multi you made who was a jerk for no reason? I don't know why you'd think this is good evidence.

07-14-2011 at 08:30 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Chaco wrote:
As for hints for the rest of them, as far as I know there aren't any others to find right now, but Tim's in the process of talking to Schik about where to hide another one that'll be a bit more interesting.
I can confirm that this next one is up now. :shutup
07-14-2011 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
heh. Anyone solved it yet? ;)

Edit: Oh, and to anyone looking, don't bother searching through old posts, you'll never find it that way.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-14-2011 11:06 PM]
07-14-2011 at 11:02 PM
12th Archivist
Jatopian wrote:
Wasn't Mr. Slice the multi you made for some kind of "social experiment" that involved seeing how we'd react to a newbie who was dumb for no reason? Or was that the multi you made who was a jerk for no reason?
The fact that people still think this is true is just more evidence that I will never redeem myself as an honest person that people appreciate without considerable reserve.

But all this drama and my all of my self-centered posts are stupid. I think we should take a break from the hostilities and enjoy finding the next secret image. Right? :)

07-15-2011 at 12:00 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
No, that was... Dr. Murphy. I'm pretty sure Dr. Murphy was that particular alt.
07-15-2011 at 06:33 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Waterskippers with frickin aumtlichs attached to their heads.
07-15-2011 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Rabscuttle wrote:
??

:w00t

07-15-2011 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rabscuttle wrote:

That's one of the funnier things I've read in a few days :) Couple o' plusses.

07-15-2011 at 12:55 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
??

:w00t
Seems to me someone is channeling Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies - AGAIN:
Wikipedia sayeth:
One of Dr. Evil's greatest desires is to have "frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads," and is disappointed when he can't have the sharks because of laws on endangered species.
(Yeah, that saying is all over the internet (aka "a meme") by now... ;))

np: Atari Teenage Riot - Shadow Identity (Is This Hyperreal?)

07-15-2011 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
Jatopian wrote:
I don't know why you'd think this is good evidence.
To me it clearly is. The identity of Mr. Slice is irrelevant because it wasn't known until at least mid-to-late 2009, a year after the topic he just used as evidence. I dislike being this direct, but it seems to me that you're just bringing up his past mischief as a way of dodging his legitimate point. EDIT: Thanks, Jatopian. I didn't know Mr. Slice had ever contributed well enough for us to know that his trolling was purposeful. I stand corrected.

Personally, I've never* felt antagonized by Tahnan, with the possible exception of feeling that way on behalf of others. I've been into clever insults at times in my past, if not on this particular site, so I can relate to him to the extent that I don't generally say anything about it. Besides, he's currently in second place in CaravelNet scoring, and has contributed in other ways around here, as well.

...As has 12th, nowadays.

As for the forum in general, one thing I've noticed in the past is that a decrease in the amount of organized stuff happening (which in our case would be stuff like new holds, challenges, contests, SmSs and games) results in not only a decrease in activity, but a degeneration in the quality of the activity that remains.

Anyhow, I haven't found the second screenshot yet. I don't really know where to look, if not in old posts. Going by the last news release, I thought this thing would've been done well before now, but I understand how long it can take to exterminate unintended solutions.

*Well, I guess there was one time, but that was only a tiny part of a topic which was heated to begin with.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 07-15-2011 11:34 PM]
07-15-2011 at 10:04 PM
Jatopian
Penwielder wrote:
To me it clearly is. The identity of Mr. Slice is irrelevant because it wasn't known until at least mid-to-late 2009, a year after the topic he just used as evidence. I dislike being this direct, but it seems to me that you're just bringing up his past mischief as a way of dodging his legitimate point.
No, because it's Tahnan getting angry at someone who's deliberately trolling, all the more valid because we weren't aware it was a troll. As opposed to Tahnan being a jerk undeservedly.

07-15-2011 at 11:06 PM
12th Archivist
I was never trolling. Not once.

Anyway, now that we are done with that topic, we can get back to the regularly scheduled programming. I am trying to find those gosh-darned pictures without any luck so far.

07-16-2011 at 12:38 AM
da rogu3
12th Archivist wrote: I am trying to find those gosh-darned pictures without any luck so far.
Very subtle hint for the second picture:

Edit: And a question to those who have seen it..

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-16-2011 01:42 AM]
07-16-2011 at 01:21 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Is there something in the forum's water supply?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com