Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : RPG...To the Death! (Battle by Numbers)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon Chaco's Extremely Serious Life-Or-Death Analysis (+1)  
On a more serious note, I'd like to do some public philosophizing and Serious Analysis of the contest structure. I already pretty much did all of this before I decided my statistics, so feel free to extrapolate what I did based upon all this. I believe I have a good chance of winning, naturally. :)

Strategizing below in secret tags, for both length and if the reader would rather not read all this.

Click here to view the secret text

I'll remind everyone that the addition of random chance into the mix with the two skills, Skill and Courage, means that the "best" build might not necessarily win. But I think that there's room for intelligent decisions, just like in Backgammon, if anyone's ever played that.

Feel free to critique any of my above analysis. Some of it is very objective and some of it is subjective.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm supposed to state something about my character build.

Having a sword through one's abdomen can really ruin your whole day. I've taken the smarter option and defended myself well, and made sure I can penetrate everyone else's defenses. I have an immovable object and an unstoppable force, the best strategy!

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-26-2009 08:58 PM]
07-26-2009 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (0)  
I'm ready for anything with my abs of steel (def), arms of iron (atk), and ankles of aluminum (health)! One of these is +40 training points, too.
07-26-2009 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
2, 4, 6, 8,
My stalwart's really great!
3, 5, 7, 9,
You're all going to lose horribly due to his amazing stats and unsurpassed bravado!

07-27-2009 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
There's a major flaw in much of Chaco's reasoning, but I won't point it out. :)

If you play a player with a weak build and beat them, that will become your disadvantage in later rounds. If you have a strong build and subsequently beat a strong player, you will be unstoppable in later rounds. Therefore, if the two most confident players square off first, one of them will surely become the ultimate victor.

I am highly confident in my build. In fact, I'm prepared to say it's the best possible build. Does anybody with a similar level of confidence want to square off against me and let the dice determine the winner?

07-27-2009 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
My stalwart is not a jack of all trades. Vigorous specialized training ensures he'll crush all opposition with but a few wounds. One of the skills is used to great effect, as well!
07-27-2009 at 09:29 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
People who have boasted:

skell
Robobob3000
Tim
Doom
Chaco
brian_s
Dischorran

The arena master states:

Neather2 has twice as much defense as offense.
Someone Else has the same amount of defense and offense.
Dex Stewart has all three skills.
Nuntar has not spent any training points.
Sillyman has 700 health.

You may now submit your fight list. Have the person you want to fight the most at the top of your list, and the person you least want to fight at the bottom. You have negative 768 weeks, 3 days until the lists are due. If the list is not sent, the arena master will not be kind to you.

07-27-2009 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
I went for an attack-heavy strategy without obtaining any of the skills. I would love to fight a similar opponent. Please let me know if you are this person.

07-27-2009 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Muahaha, my balance is impeccable.

Unfortunately for ROB, I have skills. And no circular blocks to pick up. What a shame.

07-27-2009 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Beating a player with no bonus skills is to your advantage - each bonus skill that your felled opponent opted out of translates into 5 more talent points worth of stats that you get to take into the next round. Bonus skills, unfortunately, are non-transferrable.

If anybody else out there has no bonus skills (no Bravery, Skill, or Courage) please let me know (via PM, if you wish) and we can arrange a fight. Then the winner of our first-round battle will win the whole dang thing! :D

07-27-2009 at 09:25 PM
Chaco
Can we change our fight lists up to the deadline? I've already sent my list in, but I'm strongly considering changing my priorities given what people have said in this thread.

07-28-2009 at 02:07 AM
zex20913
Lists may change until the deadline.

07-28-2009 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
The battles are set! Some of the battles have essentially finished before they started, and some need the dicing. I'll be back later today with the final results!

For those who did not submit lists, I chose to use their adding 0 to the total sum for each battle--if somebody wanted to fight someone who did not submit a list the most, and there were no ties, that fight happened.

07-28-2009 at 03:50 PM
zex20913
What a round we have had! While some battles were indeed predetermined, there were some ferocious matchups to be sure!

The battles turned out as follows:

Dex Stewart v Doom
skell v Robobob3000
Neather2 v Chaco
Someone Else v Dischorran
Tim v brian_s
Nuntar v Sillyman.

In the first battle, that of Dex Stewart v Doom, there was an inevitable triumph, as Dex Stewart's weapon broke on the armor of Doom nigh upon immediately. Though Dex was only mildly wounded each time, no amount of health could have allowed him to prevail. The victor is Doom.

The second battle appeared to be one for the ages, with a mix of stat selections and skills, but in the end, this turned out to be an on-paper victory for Robobob3000. There was quite literally no chance for skell to win. The victor is Robobob3000.

The third battle, that of Neather2 v Chaco won the title of fight of the night here at the arena. They were quite evenly matched, and things came down to chance. A true fight to the finish, but Neather2 came out with the lucky victory. The victor is Neather2.

The fourth battle was Someone Else v Dischorran. Striking first certainly came into play, as this was fairly evenly matched. Dischorran was ahead until the very end, when he faltered. Someone Else emerged victoriously. The victor is Someone Else.

The fifth battle was between Tim and brian_s. This was the battle least desired by the competitors, but that's how the cookie crumbled. And it turns out that they both brought sticks to a gunfight...wait, that doesn't work. Once they realized that neither could hurt the others, they reverted to boastful cries. And Tim really did cry when brian_s said something about his mother. The victor (higher health) is brian_s.

The final battle was foretold, as one of the competing Stalwarts didn't even seem to remember signing up for the fight. Nuntar, we hardly knew ye. The victor is Sillyman.

The remaining competitors are Sillyman, brian_s, Someone Else, Neather2, Robobob3000, and Doom.

Interestingly enough, 2 of these victors did not submit fight lists. Perhaps this is an advantage? Who knows.

The fight lists appear in the secret tags below.

The stat increases appear in the secret tags below.

It is now time for the second round to begin! This is the last input you will need to have--I need your fight lists. You have negative 768 weeks, 2 days to get them in! Choose well.

07-28-2009 at 08:17 PM
RoboBob3000
Someone Else gains
+255 health
+55 atk
+5 def

This means that Dischorran had a 510, 110, 10 build, which would have been 101 talent points. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there's a miscalculation or typo somewhere.

Edit: Durr! Nevermind. There's rounding involved here. Carry on.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 07-28-2009 09:45 PM]
07-28-2009 at 09:43 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Oh well. Congrats Robobob3000 for beating me, I knew I shouldn't have invested into the skills, perhaps I would have had a chance then :).

07-28-2009 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Well... this is a good omen? Though really, I'm at a bit of an unfair disadvantage here, through no fault of my own or the dice.

Bah.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 07-29-2009 12:10 AM]
07-29-2009 at 12:09 AM
RoboBob3000
*slaps Doom with the Dueling Glove*

07-29-2009 at 01:18 AM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Damn i win. I'll submit a list now.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-29-2009 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Hey, i've missed something or what, there are weapons or something i must know?

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-29-2009 at 02:57 PM
zex20913
I currently have all fight lists.

I'm leaving the deadline open, in case anybody wants to change their lists. All current fights are easily determinable.

07-29-2009 at 06:42 PM
RoboBob3000
Unless a player specifically asked for more time, I'd say that you should just go ahead and post the results - I know I'm not going to change my list.

07-29-2009 at 06:50 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Yeah, me neither.
07-29-2009 at 06:52 PM
Sillyman
Not I.

07-29-2009 at 09:04 PM
zex20913
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (+1)  
This round of fights was entirely non-dependent upon the skills. I think that if I run this again, I will add new skills such as Piercing Bravado (ignore the opponent's defense for one strike, 10% chance) and Adrenaline (double your attack for one strike, 10% chance.) That way, the skills may have more of an impact on the final outcome. I may also adjust the percentages of the current skill-set.

Anyhoo, the fights are as follows:

brian_s v Neather2
Someone Else v Doom
Robobob3000 v Sillyman.

In the first fight, brian_s found himself in the unfortunate predicament of being unable to harm Neather2. Fortunately, Neather2 had the same predicament, and had less health. The victor is brian_s.

In the second fight, Doom found himself in the same unfortunate predicament. Further unfortunateness occured for Doom when Someone Else could strike him. The victor is Someone Else.

In the third fight, Sillyman's Nuntar fight put him at a disadvantage. So strong that Robobob3000 pretty much had the run of the arena with him. Still, will Nuntar's carryover effect Robobob in the next round? That remains to be seen...soonish.

The final three are Robobob3000, Someone Else, and brian_s.

The fight lists appear in the secret tags below.

The stat gains appear below the secret tags.

And now...the final battle! Round robin style!

brian_s loses to Someone Else, via a too-low attack.
brian_s loses to Robobob3000. Even though his skills lengthened the amount of time he survived, brian_s could not stand up to Robobob's attacks.

brian_s thus finishes in third place. Yay!

And the final battle, which will determine the winner, is Someone Else v Robobob3000.

Drumroll please.

The victor is Someone Else! It seems that Robobob's strategy was demolished by his fight with Sillyman, who had fought a non-boosted Nuntar. Alas, alack, maybe next time.

Robobob3000 has finished in 2nd place.

Someone Else has finished in 1st place.

Congratulations, all, and thank you for playing!

07-29-2009 at 10:23 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
That was a nice, quick contest. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out that my stats provided the seed for Someone Else's win. :D

07-29-2009 at 10:38 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Third place, woohoo! Just by being a big ol' brick! I guess I was never intended to win it all, eventually someone with a big enough hammer was going to break through.
07-29-2009 at 10:42 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Good game everyone. It seemed as if the last few fights were determined by how much defense I had.
07-29-2009 at 10:44 PM
zex20913
You also wound up with the highest attack, Someone Else. And the highest Def. brian_s had the highest health.

07-29-2009 at 10:46 PM
Chaco
Good showing, everyone! This was a pretty fun contest, and I think doing it again would be interesting.

Anyway, here was my original character build:

HP: 500
ATK: 65
DEF: 25

Bravery, Skill, Courage

===

As I mentioned earlier in my analysis, I thought this would be a pretty decent build. However, I think I made two important mistakes:

A. Buying Courage instead of using the 10 points for something else - at best, Courage acts by saving a few HP, while defense saves hit points every time, or having more ATK would have helped.

B. Increasing DEF to the extent that I did, 25 DEF. I probably should have taken 10 points out of that and given myself 10 more points in ATK instead, giving me 75 ATK and 15 DEF, which would have been better in the long run, since I'd most likely have crossed at least one "hit" threshold.

Also, it didn't help that I lost in the first round, but that's besides the point. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-29-2009 10:55 PM]
07-29-2009 at 10:54 PM
RoboBob3000
Aw shoot. Here I thought I had the whole thing locked up, but a couple of unlucky breaks did me in.

I'm curious as to what Someone Else's second round build was. I decided he probably had something similar to 755 HP, 110 Atk, 60 Def, and Skill. Am I close? I would have beaten that build straight up in a second round matchup, but Skill probably would have turned the tide in his favor. I had mulled over battling him in the second round, but decided that my best bet would have been to stick him with Sillyman and hope to fight him in the finals. I contacted Sillyman and asked him to place Someone Else at the top of his list.

Unfortunately, I failed to forsee that Sillyman would actually be the last one picked for a fight, and that he would go to the other leftover player. My smartest move should have been to guarantee an opponent for myself rather than trying to do that for another player.

One problem with this game was the way Nuntar's non-participation was handled. Giving him no talent distribution screwed everybody in his branch of the bracket, not just him. In the future, it would probably be best to wait for a replacement player.

My original build was 550HP, 81 Atk, and 34 Def, with no bonus skills. My second build was 800/121/49.

My strategy:

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 07-29-2009 11:06 PM]
07-29-2009 at 11:03 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : RPG...To the Death! (Battle by Numbers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com