Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : RPG...To the Death! (Battle by Numbers)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon RPG...To the Death! (+5)  
I know that some of the past contests I've tried to run have fizzled, but this one is different, as it requires less overall management from me.

DROD RPG is a great thing for those scripters among us, and for those of us who like fighting with known outcomes. But a true Stalwart must be ready for anything. A true Stalwart must prepare for the unexpected.

This contest pits you, a rookie Stalwart, into an arena against other rookie Stalwarts. But each will have come from a different battalion where they were trained in the art of...Stalwarting.

Now, everybody knows that Stalwarts start with 500 health, 10 attack, and 10 defense. But since your troop knows that you are heading into the arena, they have allowed you to have 100 points of training.

One point of training can improve your Stalwarts in the following manner:

1. Gain 10 points of health.
2. Gain 1 attack.
3. Gain 1 defense.

Ten points of training can net your Stalwart

1. Bravery. (Hit your opponent first, if they do not also have Bravery.)
2. Skill. (Deflect the blow from the opponent, with a 1/6th probability of success.)
3. Courage. (Gain 1/10th of the health you deplete from your opponent with 1/2 probability of success per strike.)

Edit: You may only purchase one of each of these. You may not buy 2 courages, or 3 skills. They do not stack. I suppose you actually could buy more than one, but that would not be very efficient on your part. End edit.

Each player will choose how to distribute his or her 100 points, and notify the Arena Master privately (PM me.) At the same time, you will notify the Arena Master of the order in which you would like to face your opponents.

That is to say, you will be creating a list of the other Stalwarts in this battle, with the first being the Stalwart you would most like to face. These lists will be made public once the battles have been set. (To choose the battles, in each round, the lowest summed fight will be fought--if there are two Stalwarts who wish to face each other most in the first round, they will fight. Those fighters will then be eliminated from the match-making, and the same procedure of smallest sum will be applied until the last. I realize this is not an efficient algorithm for choosing the matches, but it is the algorithm I will use.)

During each battle, the two rookie Stalwarts will fight each other. A stalwart who has Bravery will strike first against a Stalwart who does not have Bravery. If both have Bravery (or if both do not), the Stalwart with the lowest health will strike first. If there is a tie for health, the Stalwart who submitted their choices to the Arena Master first will strike first. For the other two skills, I will be rolling dice and flipping coins like mad.

All battles will be conducted in a similar style to fighting monsters in RPG. One Stalwart strikes, then the other. If two Stalwarts are unable to harm each other via attacking, they will resort to verbal threats, and the Stalwart with the higher willpower (health) will be the victor. If they are still tied after this check, the most valiant Stalwart who fought but lost will take the place of these lame-O Stalwarts who couldn't find the nerve to stab each other. The lame Stalwarts are then treated as losers.

After each round, the winner of each battle will gain half of each of the health, attack, and defense of the loser added onto their base stats, rounding up (not retaining any halvsies). Skills are non-transferable. Each round is a fresh round--the fighters heal their wounds to their new full base, and gain their attack and defense appropriately. The results of battles will be made public, and the winners will submit new lists of fighters they wish to face. These results include the gains to the base, but not the base themselves.

Stalwarts are boastful--they can also say whatever they choose about their base stats in public before the matches are submitted.

The lone remaining Stalwart will be declared the winner, and receive 10 points.
The second-place finisher will not be declared the winner, but will still gain 5 points.
There will be a round between the Stalwarts defeated in the semifinals, worth 3 points.

Tl:dr; Distribute your points and make a list of who you want to fight.

8 Stalwarts to start, 16 for awesomeness. Entry notification due by Local Time:07-25-2009 at 10:00 PM, which is in negative 768 weeks, 5 days. If we don't have enough participants by then, the deadline will be extended until 8 are submitted. First come first serve. If we're close to 16, we may wait a bit.

Good luck!

[Last edited by zex20913 at 07-22-2009 02:34 PM]
07-22-2009 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (0)  
Oh, great idea. I'll PM you my stalwart's skills soon.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-22-2009 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Nice one. I will prepare and send my skills later today.

07-22-2009 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (+10)  
I am in.
07-22-2009 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (+1)  
Edit to rules: (For clarity) Skills do not stack. Purchasing 2 "Skill" does not increase your chance of parrying.

07-22-2009 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I'm fightin' too.
07-22-2009 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Maybe i think that each winner of a match should gain 3 training points. Or something like that.

07-22-2009 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
(As PMed) Neather2--I did consider that, but thought it would add a touch too much complexity for this first go. If I run the contest again, I'd likely include it.

07-22-2009 at 02:49 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
zex20913 wrote:
2. Skill. (Deflect the blow from the opponent, with a 1/6th probability of success.)

When you say deflect the blow, does that mean that each time I defend, there is a 1/6th chance that despite anything else, the opponent will do exactly 0 damage to me on his turn?

07-22-2009 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (+5)  
Count me in!

07-22-2009 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
zex20913 wrote:
3. Courage. (Gain 1/10th of the health you deplete from your opponent with 1/2 probability of success per strike.)
Can you have HP than you start with?

And I want to play too, although I don't understand how.

07-22-2009 at 05:08 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'll play.
07-22-2009 at 06:44 PM
zex20913
Chaco--yes, every turn, you would have a 1/6th chance of deflecting the blow, causing 0 damage from your opponent.

Tim--If you were to strike first and the blow goes through, and courage kicks in, you would gain 1/10 health depleted. That is, if you hit your opponent for 20 points of damage, you would gain 2 health. The base is not a maximum. If you started with 700 health, you would go to 702 before your opponent struck you.

Playing consists of (essentially) choosing your opponents based on how you think you match up with them, and choosing appropriate starting stats for your Stalwart.

We currently have 7 brave Stalwarts already! (I'm not counting Chaco, as he asked a question, but didn't yet opt in.) Things are starting to get interesting.

07-22-2009 at 08:11 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
So should we wend our talent distribution and opponent list at the same time, or should that be done seperately?

If that can be done seperately, can we send our talent distribution now, or should we wait until everyone has signed up first?

I assume that the hit points collected with the Courage talent are rounded up, no?

07-22-2009 at 08:39 PM
zex20913
You may send your talent list now. Once the 16 are set (or 8, if that's all who sign up), the full list of competitors will be available, and thus you will be able to send in your lists.

Indeed, I will round up Courage points. One thing to note is that if you finish above your base due to courage points, they will not carry over after the healing round--they do not add to the base.

If any of these clarifications change your plan, you may change your status up until a future deadline--the first one after all competitors are signed up.

07-22-2009 at 08:52 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'll opt in; this looks like an interesting exercise. I'll be very interested in seeing what everyone's builds are.

07-22-2009 at 09:47 PM
Neather2
Wow, up to 9 players in so poor time.

07-23-2009 at 11:01 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I'm in.

07-23-2009 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: RPG...To the Death! (+3)  
I'll try this game.
07-25-2009 at 12:58 AM
zex20913
This puts us up to 11 people. I can either wait for 5 more, or knock the final 3 submissions out. What to do, what to do...

I'll wait for a bit, and extend the deadline for signup 'til later tonight. Nuntar, sillyman, and brian_s, you're on the chopping block. Try to do yourselves some convincing.

07-26-2009 at 12:50 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Make that four more.

07-26-2009 at 01:34 AM
zex20913
You're right. There are now 4 people on the chopping block. :)

I want 4 more names ASAP of people who are playing. I'll check how the roster looks in about 13 hours.

07-26-2009 at 02:03 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
We could do this with 12 people. Reduce 12 to 6 to 3, like stated in the rules.

But when there are three left, each person would face both of the other two, in two separate rounds. There are two possible results:

1- one person wins against both (first place), one person wins once and loses once (second), and one person loses twice (third)

2- each person wins once. The tiebreaker would be whoever had the highest health left after their win.
07-26-2009 at 03:19 AM
zex20913
I like brian_s's idea. If we don't have 16 by...11ish hours from now (10:00 EST), we'll start with the current 12.

07-26-2009 at 04:13 AM
Neather2
It's time. Should we choose our opponents now?

07-26-2009 at 05:26 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think there's 9 more hours to go, actually.
07-26-2009 at 06:04 AM
zex20913
Allrighty! The contestants are set, and the battles shall begin soon! The crowd is mumbling in anticipation, but they should be raising their collective decibel level to "muted roar" soon enough!

The contestants are

Dex Stewart
skell
Neather2
Someone Else
Tim
Doom
Robobob3000
Chaco
Nuntar
Sillyman
brian_s
Dischorran

The arena master is still waiting for 3 stat submissions.

You have negative 768 weeks, 3 days remaining to send in your stats.

This will also be the boasting period. You may say anything you want about your Stalwart. It may be true, it may be false. If you do not say anything about your Stalwart (and it must be related to the stats), the arena master will say something true about your statistics. These statements should be public (in this thread) so people can have a chance to influence their lists.

State well!

[Last edited by zex20913 at 07-26-2009 03:17 PM : Time left...]
07-26-2009 at 03:16 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Ok, then let me be first to boast about what I am made of!
*clears throat*
Ten, Twenty, Seventy, Sword, Shield, Health, Something else?
You won't guess for I am the best!

Is this fine?

07-26-2009 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
A fine boast! Onwards and forwards!

07-26-2009 at 03:51 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
With my 40+ stats, I'm going to win anyway. :whistle

:swordfight: :swordfight: :swordfight:

By the way, has anyone submitted his/her fight list? I did.

07-26-2009 at 04:38 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : RPG...To the Death! (Battle by Numbers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com