Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Advanced Concepts (Educational...but still fun.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.0/10 (62 votes)
σ 1.50
Author Name:Josh
Submitted By:jbluestein
Hold Name:Advanced Concepts
Theme:Educational...but still fun.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:12
Number of Rooms:254
Number of Monsters:2585
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
IP: Logged
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+1)  
This hold is fantastic, and everyone who is enjoying DROD, but struggling with more 'Advanced Concepts' (Heh) should play this hold.

Once one has finished the information and practice rooms, the difficulty quickly ramps up, either in the form of harder versions of required rooms, or secret rooms with completely new puzzles. There's even a treat for those who master the hold, consisting of harder versions of these harder versions. (Yeah, it confused me too.) One of the post-mastery rooms in particular took me a couple of hours to work out, and proved to be a valuable lesson in brained roach queen movement and a great brain exercise. Thanks for that, TFMurphy!

This terrific hold deserves a 10 for fun, and I would rate it a 7 for difficulty.
05-01-2012 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+3)  
Finally got round to finishing this :)

I have to agree with the general consensus -- this is a very well-crafted hold, and nicely informative. I would recommend it to anyone who's finished GatEB, JtRH and TCB and wants a "bridge" to help them move on to more difficult holds. I'd certainly not recommend, as one person did, playing this as your second hold, for a number of reasons. Many of the rooms require a good understanding of the basic room elements, such as pressure plates and oremites -- not just knowing what they do, but being able to look at a configuration and understand what it's set up to do, and so use that to help grasp the particular quirk the room is teaching. Secondly, it is long, and I can imagine the Advanced Brain Movement level in particular generating a feeling of "if DROD is this complex, it's not for me" in players who haven't learned to love the game through playing easier holds first.

A few comments on individual levels:

Brained Roaches
Very nice level, with puzzles that really test and consolidate understanding of what you've just learned. I disagree with da rogu3 about "steady increase in difficulty" though; I found the first couple of optional rooms to be nicely paced, followed by a very sudden leap in difficulty. Ah well. They are optional.

Rock Golems
Not my favourite style of tutorial -- each room just gave you a rule and a simple illustration, so that when it came to the challenge rooms, you had to work out the details of how to manipulate golems to desired squares for yourself. But that's a minor flaw, considering that the challenge rooms were great fun and had excellent variety. I found 1S2W considerably harder even than the secret rooms, for some reason.

For other levels, I guess I don't have much to add to what's already been said :)

09-16-2013 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
urbanizzz
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (0)  
Hello.
I'm a fan of the DROD from Russia. I play the DROD since 2009 year.
But in order to play DROD properly, it requires knowledge that are in Hold Advanced Concepts.
So I decided to translate this hold into Russian at least for myself. Also I think it really helps to popularize the game in Russia.
But my knowledges of English is not very good, so I actively use online translator.
If I could use the clipboard it would be greatly accelerated the work of translation.
But to highlight text from scrolls and transfer it to a translator by the clipboard requires access to edit the Hold.
So I ask for help from the architector of this Hold in obtaining the access to edit.

01-22-2014 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Welcome!

Did you know?

You can enable the ExportText=1 setting in the drod.ini file to export all text from a hold for translation/localization.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-23-2014 01:09 PM]
01-22-2014 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
He'll still need either someone with editing priviledges to do the speech export for him, or an anyone edit version of his own.

Is jbluestein still about?

01-22-2014 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
urbanizzz
Thanks mrimer
I'm a fool, I should have read the FAQ :)

Thanks Jacob.
I sent a message to jbluestein

01-23-2014 at 07:03 AM
mrimer
Oh -- I said "speech" above, but the ExportText setting also exports scroll text as well, into an XML format file. You need to add additional lines for another language (for example, with "rus" as the language code), and then reimport this file, and it will display these lines when the game's language is set to the one you have specified. So, a hold may contain multiple languages at the same time.

01-23-2014 at 01:12 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407

File: Advanced Concepts.xml (198.1 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+3)  
Here's a speech export. Knock yourself out.

01-23-2014 at 11:26 PM
urbanizzz
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+1)  
Thanks Dischorran, that's what me need

Thanks to mrimer for the clarification

01-24-2014 at 06:03 AM
urbanizzz
Dischorran wrote:
Here's a speech export. Knock yourself out.

Can you help?

There is string from your file:
<DescriptionMessage lang='eng' text="$ABM_Hub_Message$"/>

where to find the value of a variable $ABM_Hub_Message$?
there are several such variables.
02-12-2014 at 11:30 AM
mrimer
Ahh...I don't think we handle this case well for localization.

We need to add a new pre-defined variable in the hold for checking on the current language setting or something, in order to allow for setting scripted text to different values based on it.

02-12-2014 at 03:58 PM
urbanizzz
OK

I think I can substitute for the variable text:

<DescriptionMessage lang='rus' text="Bla-bla-bla"/>
02-13-2014 at 04:00 AM
chesse20
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+2)  
First hold i tired where im not stumped past the first room and don't even know what mechanics im trying to figure out. Super cool
02-11-2019 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Advanced Concepts (+2)  
Started playing DROD again and thought I'd try and continue reviewing holds I've completed...this one might prove tricky due to the timeline:

43% of hold done March 2010 (can't remember why I stopped at this point)
34% of hold done June/July 2011 (stuck on Rock Golems: 3N1W)
22% of hold done June 2018 (stuck on Roach Queen/mirrors post-mastery room)
Final room (above) cleared last week when I finally figured out my mistake

From what I remember, this is a really good informative hold. Definitely not for beginners but really drills done into some of the mechanics for a lot of elements. This is done in a interesting way with examples of the techniques described and shaded floors to help reinforce the points made.

This is also a good community collaborative effort with each architect bringing their own flavour to the mix.

I imagine most of the regular players have played this already but if you haven't you really should.

Difficulty: 7
Fun: 9

Progress - Gavin G
07-29-2020 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Advanced Concepts (Educational...but still fun.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com