Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Page 4 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (0)  
It would be best to have more holds than less, easy/medium/hard/lunatic doesn't matter. RPG right now can't even compare to the number of holds from the Classic boards. ;)

09-29-2009 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ijack7
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+1)  
The latest version was much easier than the previous version. I had so much attack and health points by the time I got to level 6 that I breezed through without even bothering to get the bronze shield. There was also health and attack points available which I didn't use. Of course I've played so many versions that I now know all the 'tricks' and what strategies to use. I'm sure it will seem much harder to a first time player. One problem I had was that one room in the 2nd interlude kept crashing the program on my computer (Dell Dimension 8400 running Windows XP). Whenever I left the room with the Antlions after completing the room, windows would close the program and ask me if I wanted to send an error message to MS.
09-29-2009 at 05:35 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Two things on the second interlude twice south, first the game crashes on me whenever I hit anything. The other is that I don't see a way to get all of the greckles, since in order to get both of those anthill things (sorry can't remember the name) I have to use the mimic and it doesn't give me the greckles.
09-29-2009 at 11:11 PM
ijack7
deftriver wrote:
Two things on the second interlude twice south, first the game crashes on me whenever I hit anything. The other is that I don't see a way to get all of the greckles, since in order to get both of those anthill things (sorry can't remember the name) I have to use the mimic and it doesn't give me the greckles.

Here us how I did it.
Click here to view the secret text

09-30-2009 at 05:56 PM
deftriver
Rank Points: 75
Here us how I did it.

Two issues, the first is that I only get greckles from the one that I kill, the second is that when I try to leave the room the game crashes.
10-01-2009 at 02:48 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
Alright, I completed this hold. Stats:

I shall now wait for the next level!
And the day you'll return. You haven't been very active these days...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-24-2009 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ryani
This hold is pretty fun, but I've run into a few problems:

1) DROD crashes in 2nd interlude 2S after the mimic and I hit an antlion nest at the same time; the following lines in my .err file seem to be related to this crash:

Assertion error in line 2950 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "pMonster->bAlive"
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 12/1/09 3:13AM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 12/1/09 3:14AM ***

2) It doesn't seem to be possible to complete the 2nd interlude if you didn't bring the grappling hook past the beginning. There are no inventory squares once you pass the force arrows at the start of the level, and it seems like the hook is required for 3S1W. Am I missing something?

3) I am worried that I am going to have to start level 6 over again. I locked myself in at 1N2W in order to get the green key, with the idea that if I had enough health to last until the end of the level, I'd find another way out (such as through the "mechanical doors" in the goblin level). But no such way has presented itself. Unless there is a way out past the interlude (which I cannot currently complete), I am trapped. Is there a secret exit I am missing?

4) I couldn't solve the trapdoor puzzle leading to the hook. Usually I am pretty good at these types of puzzles, but I just gave up on this one and used a key.

5) Some of the sworded enemies don't seem to hit me if I hit them on the same turn. In particular, hitting the goblin captains from a diagonal seems to work. Is this intended? Also, in the "point of resistance" room, I was able to step on two swords and hit one of the targets without taking any additional sword damage.

6) Maybe I don't understand how it works, but the belt buckle doesn't seem to work. I didn't get any additional DEF from it. Perhaps I didn't understand how it works? Afterwards, I decided not to get it; it costs a lot of hp.

Lots of the puzzles have been interesting and difficult. I especially had trouble with (and liked) the mimic + rattlesnake puzzle in the first interlude.

Thanks for this hold! It's fun so far.

Stats right now (beginning of interlude 2):

12-01-2009 at 11:58 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+2)  
ryani wrote:
This hold is pretty fun, but I've run into a few problems:

1) DROD crashes in 2nd interlude 2S after the mimic and I hit an antlion nest at the same time; the following lines in my .err file seem to be related to this crash:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 12/1/09 3:13AM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 12/1/09 3:14AM ***
A lot of people have been reporting similar problems. I hope this issue can be worked out, but beyond that there's not much I can really do about this one.

2) It doesn't seem to be possible to complete the 2nd interlude if you didn't bring the grappling hook past the beginning. There are no inventory squares once you pass the force arrows at the start of the level, and it seems like the hook is required for 3S1W. Am I missing something?
The grappling hook is not required to "complete" Second Interlude 3S1W. You do bring up a good point in that I should think about the player's ability to have travel-based accessories in this level.

3) I am worried that I am going to have to start level 6 over again. I locked myself in at 1N2W in order to get the green key, with the idea that if I had enough health to last until the end of the level, I'd find another way out (such as through the "mechanical doors" in the goblin level). But no such way has presented itself. Unless there is a way out past the interlude (which I cannot currently complete), I am trapped. Is there a secret exit I am missing?
Yes, unfortunately you are trapped; 1N2W is the only way in or out of that base. In the next update I will add a similarly triggered exit door leading to 1N1W so triggering the pressure plate seals both entrances, trapping the player in the room and letting him know he messed up. Finding out that you're trapped that late in is cruel.

4) I couldn't solve the trapdoor puzzle leading to the hook. Usually I am pretty good at these types of puzzles, but I just gave up on this one and used a key.
I don't think anything is required besides my assurance that the puzzle is solvable, and you can save a yellow key if you solve the puzzle. :)

5) Some of the sworded enemies don't seem to hit me if I hit them on the same turn. In particular, hitting the goblin captains from a diagonal seems to work. Is this intended? Also, in the "point of resistance" room, I was able to step on two swords and hit one of the targets without taking any additional sword damage.
This is related to a bug in currently released RPG builds where characters that don't start with swords, but are given swords (for example, wubbas, goblins or Citizens) won't damage the player when he steps on their swords, like with Guards or Swordsmen.

The Goblin Commanders deliberately have their sword safe to player, but attack in front like eyes. This has the effect of giving the player the first hit if they attack the goblin commander on the same turn as stepping on their sword, but if the player steps next to them without stabbing them on the same turn, then he suffers sword damage as though they were a sworded character. This behavior should be preserved when the aforementioned bug is fixed. This behavior is supposed to represent the player being a better swordfighter than the Goblin Commanders.

The various sworded Citizens do not currently cause sword-impalement damage, due to the bug, and so they currently behave like normal monsters when the player stabs them and gets the first hit. When the bug is fixed, they should get an extra hit by sword-impalement, and I want this to be the architect-intended behavior. The reason I haven't made these people just attack first or give them attack in front behavior is that when the bug is fixed, they would effectively get two free hits(one from a sword, one from attacking first) to start out, and just moving next to them without stabbing them would also let them get two free hits rather than one (one from the sword, one from attacking in front). I would like such enemies to get one free attack, not two.

(I know this is confusing, but the gist of all of this is that the Goblin Commanders' behavior is intended, and currently if you find yourself facing a Citizen who is facing towards you and has a sword, it would be a courtesy to just fight them by running into them and letting them get a free hit. When the published versions fix the impalement bug, then I'll redo some of the monster properties and the boss fight at the end of level 6 should work better.)

6) Maybe I don't understand how it works, but the belt buckle doesn't seem to work. I didn't get any additional DEF from it. Perhaps I didn't understand how it works? Afterwards, I decided not to get it; it costs a lot of hp.
The Belt Buckler is supposed to make the player take 10 fewer damage from every fight he gets into when it is equipped. This is not the same as having 10 extra DEF, since the player is healed a maximum of 10 damage at the end of the fight only if he is still alive, and if the total damage is less than 10 then only that damage is healed (you can't get more hit points than you started with).

Lots of the puzzles have been interesting and difficult. I especially had trouble with (and liked) the mimic + rattlesnake puzzle in the first interlude.

Thanks for this hold! It's fun so far.
You're welcome. And thanks for your commentary; it's helpful.

===

Despite my less-frequent visitations of this forum, I am still working on this hold, slowly, when I have spare time. I'm not going to lie, though, I wouldn't expect a new release before late January or the middle of February. A status report is that I am working on the areas just following where the current version cuts off.

12-06-2009 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Angry Banana
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Can anyone help with 1st interlude 3 south 3 east? I'm completely stumped by this. I can only figure out one way to move through the bomb path without hitting one, and then I can only push the mirror one way, into the water.
12-14-2009 at 08:24 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Angry Banana wrote:
...I can only push the mirror one way, into the water.
Push the mirror...

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-14-2009 10:58 PM]
12-14-2009 at 10:24 PM
Angry Banana
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Oh man, due to my mistake I'm gonna have to load a save from a while back, which means re-doing the snake puzzle over again(and I cant remember how I solved it, I just sort of got lucky the first time). Oh well, I guess I learned a lesson about being careful with saves. Thanks for your help.
12-14-2009 at 11:14 PM
moonrainz
Rank Points: 11
Awesome! I've only played so far, but I like it. How'd you make it so, hmm, hard? I whish I could do something like that.
01-13-2010 at 03:48 PM
lordatog
Rank Points: 51
Two possible oversights:

1) The Belt Buckle doesn't seem to work properly if you get in multiple fights in a row. You're supposed to get healed the turn after fighting something, but if you spend that next turn fighting something else, the healing from the first fight never actually happens.

2) 2nd Interlude 2S 1W has five more mirrors than you need - it turns out that if you push a mirror onto a fuse, leave the room, and come back, the fuse section under the mirror will have vanished. The puzzle's not too hard so I don't think players cheating through it that way is a big deal, but I thought you should know.

Overall, I think this is clearly the best unfinished hold I've played. There are many interesting choices to make, plenty of excess (but expensive) keys and potions lying around, making the game more possible for poor players while not impacting optimizers much, and you've somehow created an atmosphere that is, I feel, superior to that of Tendry's Tale. I look forward to the next update.
02-12-2010 at 06:17 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
How about a status report? :) It would be apreciated.
03-29-2010 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+2)  
Blondbeard wrote:
How about a status report? :) It would be appreciated.

I've been working on it on and off. I haven't gotten to the part where I actually introduce the plot advancement, though. Not for lack of planning, but of time. I have some ideas as to the stuff I want to put in this update that I've written down, and what I've already put in is good.

There's one particular regular-DROD bit I'm trying to get finished before I continue work on Fetch the Pie, which is almost done. Then I can just hand it off to the collaborative project coordinator and I don't have to worry too much about it anymore.

So, don't expect an update to Fetch the Pie before late April at the earliest, probably May or June in actuality. Sorry. This is the rate I'm working at, and I'm pretty busy with college visits and the high school golf season starting up again. But I haven't forgotten about this and I'd like to conclusively finish this story before I head off to college.

03-30-2010 at 02:40 AM
Blondbeard
Thanks!
03-30-2010 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Fetch the Pie updated 6/12/10 (+2)  
Those of you who were taking bets, the date today is June 12th.

Fetch the Pie's new alpha is released! Huzzah! :)

==

There is a whole lot of new content in this update, including two new levels (Seventh Level and Eighth Level). There are also a few changes to earlier rooms for balance and convenience. The earliest change is in Third Level 3S, so that is the furthest back you absolutely must restart, but I would recommend you restart from the beginning, just so you don't miss anything, and also so you can check how many secret rooms are in the new levels, if you figured out how to do that (which isn't difficult).

There is one room in Level 5 (4S) which has been changed and has had more material added. You will almost definitely want to restart before you visited that room so the new version of the room loads. (It aids backtracking from the new sections to level 5 also.)

==

Since in level 6 the default monsters were giving out too many greckles, I had to replace them with custom monsters, in one case (the Sword Sentry) upping its statistics so it wouldn't be killed too quickly. I followed a similar rule here, since it would be inappropriate to have fegundos and Aumtlich running around. (There are no Aumtlich in this hold. Yay!) So there are a lot more custom monsters in this update. There's some fairly original work here, with some more complicated behavior, but I think you should be able to figure out how everything works.

==

Levels 7 and 8 should be about as difficult as level 6. You will want to conserve your resources and play wisely, since there's plenty of ways to spend health and keys, and the monsters in this update are quite strong. Watch out!

==

I've been working on this update for a long time, and I think you all will appreciate the wait. Once again, I hope to be able to finish this (epic?) hold by late August, before I go off to school on August 28th or so. But there are no guarantees here.

Have fun! I mean it. I hope this is a really good hold, and I have reason to believe that will be the case.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-13-2010 02:42 AM]
06-13-2010 at 02:26 AM
Blondbeard
Well... Of course it's fun, but you already knew that, didn't you ;) What I don't think it is is particularly easy. I would say it's definitly harder than Tendry's Tale (for instance). If you want it easier I think a good way to do it would be to include more yellow key -> 300 HP options (and probably more key -> 400 HP also). In the last level I found myself needing to go back and collect even the non-optimizing potions, and I don't have that many of them left.

Some specifics: Second Interlude is waay too hard when you first encounter it, and then you close a door, and can't play it :( Either you have to up the reward considerably, or you have to let it remain accesable so the player can get to it at a later time (when he can one-kill the monsters).

In 7th level 3S the inventory squre doesn't apear to be working.

The western part of 8th level could use another inventory square.

Stats before compleating this version: 2031/469/100/9/4/0/0. Also 14646 greckles. I can't help but notice that the need to save greckles kind of dissapeared after getting the serpentskin armor. In hindsight I should have used more keys in order to avoid damage from monsters.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-15-2010 08:38 AM]
06-15-2010 at 08:37 AM
Chaco
Thanks for the feedback.

Your statistics are good and are along the lines of what I was expecting an end-of-update readout to look like. If you still have 2000 HP after fighting the end boss then you're doing great.

I will probably want to include more key->HP trades, and possibly a small amount of free HP at the start of level 7, especially since I think there are big differences in optimization - good players leave behind the ~1600 HP available in level 2 until later, for example, while people who haven't been optimizing as well need to pick it up sooner, and then might run into trouble in later levels 4, 6, and 7 and 8.

==

Blondbeard wrote:
Some specifics: Second Interlude is waay too hard when you first encounter it, and then you close a door, and can't play it :( Either you have to up the reward considerably, or you have to let it remain accesable so the player can get to it at a later time (when he can one-kill the monsters).

What I'm mostly concerned about is that during levels 7 and 8 the player gets 340 ATK, which lets him one-hit-kill tar babies. That means there is a huge difference between taking 80 damage per tar baby (when we first access the Second Interlude) and later on with the Steel Shield, where tar babies all take 40 damage or 0 damage.

The health provided in Second Interlude was allocated on the basis of every single tar baby in that level (and there are many) taking 80 damage to kill. I don't want the player exiting that level with more health than he entered it with, because the sheer health gain available (at least 2000 I think) would really unbalance the game if it weren't balanced by each tar baby taking some of it away.

So I am probably going to increase the reward for the level as it stands, since it has to be completed before the player has 340 ATK. (Incidentally, if the player is doing well enough they can enter the level with 275 ATK and kill mimics for free.) I just have to figure out what kind of a reward would be useful without being too useful. I might just add one more green key or yellow key, but at the same time I'm trying to make green keys much more valuable through rarity and the need to spend them in order to make things easier.

==

Anyway, it is good to receive confirmation that it was fun. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-15-2010 04:53 PM]
06-15-2010 at 04:53 PM
Blondbeard
Doh! I missed that there were a lot of potions! Never mind my comments then! I'll have to recheck the interlude.
06-15-2010 at 06:46 PM
Chaco
Fetch the Pie has been updated again!

==

This is just a cosmetic update, though. I changed all the colors of the monsters so that they should look, on the player's machines, the way I meant them to look. This should result in Simple Sentries becoming blue, Red Sentries becoming red (not blue), Security Eyes becoming yellow, and other such things.

There was a bug which meant that although everything looked OK to me, I was making monsters that looked different to everyone else using a Windows machine.

==

Nothing else in the hold has changed, so if you've already downloaded the recent update on June 12th, only download this one if you want monsters from the point you're playing onward to look "correct".

06-16-2010 at 12:01 AM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628

File: Belt Buckler 2.png (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 599 times.
License: Public Domain
Although I have much to eventually say about this hold, for the moment I post for a very different purpose.

As one who recently ventured into the graphical world, I've been looking for little ways to gain some practice. It's the part of game creation I've always been worst at. As I was trying to get to sleep the other night, I kept coming up with possible ways of drawing DROD-related objects. For some reason, the belt buckler came to mind. So I got up this morning and made one:

Use it if you like, or, if you don't, that's fine too. I did it more for the experience, really. If you'd like it a slightly different color, or you'd like the gem/stud in the buckle bigger, those things can easily be done. After all, a script of mine does 80% of the work (the belt texture and shape) and modifying a color parameter would only take a moment.

Edit: Image modified as requested.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 06-20-2010 11:05 PM]
06-18-2010 at 03:01 PM
Chaco
That's really good!

If the stud could be made a bit taller than it is wide, that would reflect the way I want the Belt Buckler to look. (I don't have any notebook sketches or anything like that, though.)

==

I don't think I mentioned this in a forum post, but in the current version of Fetch the Pie, the Belt Buckler is an accessory that provides +10 DEF as long as it is equipped. It's not technically made out of metal. (Earlier versions behaved differently and were far less useful for the amount of trouble the player must go through to get one.)

06-19-2010 at 11:14 PM
Blondbeard
For some reason DROD still crashes in the mimic/aumtlich-room of the second interlude. Quits when I try to exit the room, after killing all the monsters.
06-20-2010 at 07:46 AM
lordatog
Rank Points: 51
I love the hold, but... please change Second Interlude 2S. It doesn't actually work. The mimic/briar trick required to complete the room always causes the game to crash when I try to leave the room, and at least some other people are having the same problem. If it were an especially clever puzzle I could see trying to save it, but in this case it is not hard to figure out what you have to do, or to do it. It's one of the weakest puzzles in the hold, and it crashes the game. It's not worth it.

EDIT: Foolish me. In an attempt to work around the crashing, I tried to save and quit after the briar trick. The save worked, but does me no good as the game is still unstable after loading it. Worse, though, opening the Restore screen now automatically causes the same instability. In other words, my entire save history for this hold is screwed and I have to start over. Which I won't do until this room has been completely scrapped and replaced with something that doesn't break the game. This is probably the best DROD RPG hold, including the official one. Please don't let a glitch ruin it.

[Last edited by lordatog at 07-05-2010 01:54 AM]
07-04-2010 at 03:28 AM
Chaco

File: FTP Minigame.drh (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain
The next version is going to have a new Second Interlude 2S, because I completely agree with everyone's criticism of it and I would like to work around the bugs that some people have been reporting.

==

To tide you guys over until I come up with a larger update, here's a smaller FtP update. The hold attached to this post contains one room that I am wondering whether to include in Fetch the Pie or not. It's a minigame that involves dodging and cutting through a horde of Security Eyes while getting hit as little as possible. (However, a large number of hits are all but inevitable.)

This would be positioned to block a secret room with a good but not completely necessary reward.

I personally enjoy playing through this room, but at the same time I know that it's very unpredictable and I don't think there's any definitive strategy that can be come up with to reduce the number of hits taken below any certain point.

What do you guys think? Let me know what your thoughts are about this room.

07-29-2010 at 03:30 PM
Blondbeard
69 hits on first try :) Quite fun, but as you say a bit random.
07-31-2010 at 11:21 AM
ijack7
57 hits without trying to optimize. I think this would make a good puzzle, especially if you allowed the player to make it easier but at a cost (e.g. keys).
08-04-2010 at 08:17 PM
shaf
Rank Points: 10
I'm Having Problems Solving First Interlude - Room 3E. If I kill all the Tar Babies from the 4 enclosed areas N, S,E,& W then the Gate in the NW corner becomes blocked. Is there a specific sequence to killing the Tar Babies? I usually Start at 12 O'clock and Go Clockwise to 9 O'clock.

[Last edited by shaf at 09-20-2010 04:58 PM : Spelling correction]
09-20-2010 at 04:56 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
shaf wrote:
Is there a specific sequence to killing the [mud] Babies?

For starters, try...

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-20-2010 06:30 PM]
09-20-2010 at 06:07 PM
Page 4 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com