Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Braid
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: Braid (0)  
I read some walkthroughs and I still wonder what I'm supposed to do, but after hearing that I might just not bother. Maybe I'll see if there's a video of the alternate content somewhere legible i.e. not Youtube.

03-17-2011 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Braid (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
somewhere legible i.e. not Youtube.
A simple search found a 720p version on youtube, it seemed pretty legible to my eyes.

03-17-2011 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
I read some walkthroughs and I still wonder what I'm supposed to do, but after hearing that I might just not bother. Maybe I'll see if there's a video of the alternate content somewhere legible i.e. not Youtube.
the wikipedia article probably gives you the best understanding of the ending.
03-17-2011 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
The ending has far more poignancy if you actually get it, but a big part of the point of the ending is that it's not worth actually getting.

03-18-2011 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
http://lparchive.org/Braid/

Oh look I found a complete playthrough of Braid with readable links

How did this happen :(
04-04-2011 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
slimm tom wrote:
you can't really get stuck on the platformer aspect of the game.
NiroZ wrote: I also wish the game would have spent a bit more time explaining things.
Jatopian wrote:
"Guess the mechanic" is not a fun sort of puzzle.
So, yeah, I've been stuck on this game for a few years. There must be some mechanic I'm not getting, and the official walkthrough's "figure it out for yourself, loser" attitude did not provide much motivation to keep going.

I've recently decided to give it another go, and once again hit a wall at roughly the same point. There are parts of the game which to my understanding seem to be impossible. Not hard to pull off, not "I don't see what to do here": not possible according to my understanding of how the game works.

Obviously then my understanding is incomplete or wrong, but knowing that alone doesn't really suggest any avenues.

I think my most immediate problem is not with the whole time control freakshow, but somehow related to jumping higher than is usually possible. I've figured out the trick that jumping off one of those lion-sphere-monsters provides a slightly higher "ground level" with no obvious jump height penalty; but some things are out of reach by more than one monster-height.

Any ideas on what to try, apart from giving up and either ignoring the game completely or watching somebody else do it on youtube?
09-24-2013 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Ask for a hint here?

If I remember rightly there are cases where you can have multiple jumps from a single creature depending on the time travel mechanic. Ages since I played it though.

09-24-2013 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
Znirk wrote:
I've recently decided to give it another go, and once again hit a wall at roughly the same point. There are parts of the game which to my understanding seem to be impossible. Not hard to pull off, not "I don't see what to do here": not possible according to my understanding of how the game works.

Obviously then my understanding is incomplete or wrong, but knowing that alone doesn't really suggest any avenues.

I think my most immediate problem is not with the whole time control freakshow, but somehow related to jumping higher than is usually possible. I've figured out the trick that jumping off one of those lion-sphere-monsters provides a slightly higher "ground level" with no obvious jump height penalty; but some things are out of reach by more than one monster-height.

Any ideas on what to try, apart from giving up and either ignoring the game completely or watching somebody else do it on youtube?
Which puzzle are you stuck on?

World 2?
Click here to view the secret text

Or world 5?

Or a different puzzle? (the 2 above are what I thought of after reading your description)

I wouldn't give up, unlocking world 1 and finishing the game is absolutely worth it.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 09-24-2013 02:32 PM]
09-24-2013 at 02:31 PM
Znirk
OK, the first level I have trouble with (in the sense of "I seem to be missing something fundamental to the game" rather than "I'm not seeing something about the level") is "Hunt!" in world 4 (during the horizontal position=timeline bit).

There's an obvious sequence to stomping the lionospheres, but I can only get to the first five and don't know how to reach the last one without bringing back any of the others. (Maybe my 'obvious' sequence is wrong, but I don't see a lot of potential for variation there.)

If you know the solution, please don't bother with hints at this point: I'm ready to have things explained to me in a slow loud voice.
09-25-2013 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
If I remember the room correctly, it is the one where you need to kill each monster to check them off the door?

09-25-2013 at 05:49 PM
da rogu3
icon Re: Braid (+2)  
Also, if you want a deeper hint but don't want to watch the video solution, the jumping trick is that

09-25-2013 at 09:03 PM
Znirk
Yes, I think that's what I was blind to. Not that it's possible to do what Jacob and da rogu said, but that this does something interesting.

Thanks for the help. I'll go see how far this takes me.
09-26-2013 at 09:25 AM
da rogu3
Not sure what they're called, I think most people call them goombas because they are similar to the monsters in Mario.
Znirk wrote:
This mechanic was actually in the very first level, three easy pieces, where you had you jump on 2 goombas to reach the piece.
More generally, the bounce height is higher when the falling distance on the monster is higher. Whether you achieve this falling distance by jumping from a higher ledge, or jumping on another monster first, is irrelevant.
To do the trick I mentioned earlier:

09-26-2013 at 11:49 AM
Znirk
da rogu3 wrote:
More generally, the bounce height is higher when the falling distance on the monster is higher.
Yes, I had gotten that far; but it completely surprised me that the bounce goes higher, rather than to the same level or lower, than what you were falling from.

If I'm looking at the same bit of the first level as you are, I think solved that one by jumping from the cannon barrel and bouncing off only one monster.
09-26-2013 at 12:16 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Braid
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com