Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 4,500th Member
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon 4,500th Member (+1)  
As you might know, 9:34 12,29,07, at this current time, happens to be the time of 4,500th member. While this isn't quite as cool as one of the thousand member milestones, it's still interesting!

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 12-30-2007 03:49 AM]
12-29-2007 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: 4,500th Member (0)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
Mod-down. Thought so! :?

If you think you'll be modded down, why post?

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 12-29-2007 06:42 PM]
12-29-2007 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Well, I had the very little thought of being modded down, but it really didn't seem big. It actually was barely anything if I think about it! That's why I ignored it! But why did someone mod me down? My guess was because, either I'm not a nifty person, or this stupid thread takes up too much space, announcing something that can easily be read at the front screen.

12-29-2007 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: 4,500th Member (+1)  
I'll publicly post that I was the one who modded down Mr. Slice.

I'd also like Mr. Slice not to take that mod down as an attack against him or some other unpleasant action towards him, since it isn't - I would have modded down this topic no matter who started it.

The reason I did this is that I'd like to discourage people paying attention to forum statistics, such as member count or total forum post count. They're arbitrary numbers that I don't much think are worth discussing.

I'm aware that not everyone shares my opinion; that's why everyone else has the opportunity to post in this topic, mod Mr. Slice's post back up, etc.

So, Mr. Slice oughtn't worry about this. The mod-down is more of an expression of discontent against milestone topics in general.

12-29-2007 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Chaco wrote:
I'd also like Mr. Slice not to take that mod down as an attack against him or some other unpleasant action towards him, since it isn't - I would have modded down this topic no matter who started it.
Yeah. I don't see any reason why you'd have a grudge against me. Although, the only reason I actually care about my rank points, is because I'm hanging between the reasonable Goblin, and the lowly Roachling. I noticed that fewer people care about roachlings. Now this doesn't approve to everyone, because some people take the time to look at their stuff and mod it up, if that happens. But I'm just saying that being a roachling, not a lot of people care a bunch anymore. Not like they originally did, un-hopefully. :?
Fortunately, I really don't care about my popularity because I feel that I'm a good person anyway.
Click here to view the secret text

12-29-2007 at 09:03 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Personally, I agree that milestones aren't worth calling attention to (for example, I considered noting in my 1000th post that it was my 1000th post, but I decided against it). However, I feel that a better approach than downmodding would be to just say "please don't call attention to this sort of thing," considering that with a lack of explanation, Mr. Slice didn't understand what the downmod was about. I'm sure he isn't alone; many people aren't going to see this sort of thing as something to be discouraged, and are thus less likely to understand a downmod as opposed to an explanation.

Additionally, I think that there ought to be something in the forum etiquette post about what not to call attention to, and that that thread ought to be stickied. But that's just me.

-Noah

My stuff:

12-29-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
NoahT wrote:Mr. Slice didn't understand what the downmod was about.
No no, I understood what the downmod was about, thanks to the infinite knowledge of Chaco. Now that arbitrary member numbers are not to be attentive to, this post might be stickied. But that's just me.

12-29-2007 at 09:34 PM
NoahT
I meant before Chaco posted. Sorry to mislead you like that.

-Noah

My stuff:

12-29-2007 at 10:22 PM
Mr. Slice
That's ok.

12-29-2007 at 11:00 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Chaco wrote:
The reason I did this is that I'd like to discourage people paying attention to forum statistics, such as member count or total forum post count. They're arbitrary numbers that I don't much think are worth discussing.
Erm... this is the "Anything" board though :?

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-29-2007 11:15 PM]
12-29-2007 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yeah, so this is the "Anything" board. I'd like to point out again that this is the "Anything" board, not the "Everything" board. Yes, anything goes here, but that doesn't mean everything has to.

That's just my viewpoint though. Your mileage may vary.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-29-2007 11:41 PM]
12-29-2007 at 11:40 PM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
How come every last thread Slice posts in becomes an awkward series of apologies and "that's okay"s?

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
12-30-2007 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
How come every last thread Slice posts in becomes an awkward series of apologies and "that's okay"s?
I'm very sorry that I didn't arrive sooner to avoid misunderstandings on the part of Mr. Slice, Chaco, Zonhin, and myself. Not that they would necessarily have understood things correctly if... or, what I mean to say is... generally, the level of misunderstanding might have been reduced. And perhaps the distribution of rank points could have been more equitable. Which is not to say that anyone modded down inappropriately, but I am hoping that at least I haven't given offense to anyone. Is everything okay, I hope? I am pre-accepting everyone else's apologies on the matter as a show of good faith.

-Erik

12-30-2007 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
NoahT wrote:
Additionally, I think that there ought to be something in the forum etiquette post about what not to call attention to, and that that thread ought to be stickied. But that's just me.

-Noah
Problem is that it varies constantly, and is sure to provoke disagreement between forumers.
12-30-2007 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
[some... thing...]

-Erik
That's just... that's just sooooo off the scale... that... that I'm...

*TILT*

np: Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)

12-30-2007 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
ErikH2000 wrote:
WORDSWORDSWORDS

-Erik

This is the best thread.

12-30-2007 at 01:01 AM
Mr. Slice
icon Re: 4,500th Member (+3)  
zonhin wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
WORDSWORDSWORDS

-Erik

This is the best thread.

Oh, thanks Zonhin, you made me feel good about myself. Unless that was a sarcastic post. But I think I make weird threads that do weird things. Don't kill me for it, you were the one that provided fuel, I just drove us to the store. With luck, if you keep providing fuel, I might be able to get us back home. We can only hope.

12-30-2007 at 01:39 AM
zonhin
What?

12-30-2007 at 01:47 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Mr. Slice, you're awesome. I say this honestly and without sarcasm: keep posting!

-Erik

12-30-2007 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mr. Slice, you're awesome. I say this honestly and without sarcasm: keep posting!

-Erik
:stretcher

Wow. That is, scary? I've never experienced this thing before, but I guess that's what you feel when your true love says they love you. Again, whoa. I'm gonna go back and eat my pizza.

12-30-2007 at 02:22 AM
NoahT
Mr. Slice wrote:
I'm gonna go back and eat my pizza.

How many slices? ;)

-Noah

My stuff:

12-30-2007 at 02:57 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
ErikH2000 wrote:

-Erik
Quit stealing my thunder. :P

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 12-30-2007 03:23 AM]
12-30-2007 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
icon Re: 4,500th Member (+2)  
NoahT wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
I'm gonna go back and eat my pizza.
How many slices? ;)
One. It's Mr. Slice and I'm not married yet.

12-30-2007 at 03:38 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'd like to publicly state that I modded up Chaco, and share his opinion on the matter.
Mr. Slice wrote:
I guess that's what you feel when your true love says they love you.
I didn't experience your exact emotion, but having experienced expressions of love and compliments, I suspect this is not so.

And hands off Erik; he's married. There's even an excellent pic on the forum wherein he's about to bag & tag the lady.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 12-31-2007 09:53 PM]
12-31-2007 at 09:47 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Mr. Slice wrote:

That's a slight touch of homophobia there...

01-01-2008 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
I have no problem with them. So, no phobia here!

01-01-2008 at 02:53 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yeah, that uh, that was a joke, Mr. Slice.

Although I'm now gonna point out that "homophobia" is a stupid word because when you break it down to its roots it means "fear of what is the same" which is ironic considering that it is used to mean a form of intolerance for what is different.
Hoo boy that was a stream-of-consciousness sentence there, though a technically grammatical one.

01-01-2008 at 03:22 AM
Mr. Slice
How was I supposed to know it was a joke? I can't read your mind! Or can I...

No I can't. Good stream of consciousness there.

01-01-2008 at 03:38 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Jatopian wrote:
Although I'm now gonna point out that "homophobia" is a stupid word because when you break it down to its roots it means "fear of what is the same"
Mmmm. It's one of those words whose meaning has changed over time. Now it's rarely used in any context other than "fear of homosexuality".

01-01-2008 at 03:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 4,500th Member
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com