Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Western Realm(Updated 12/02) (Brave the Biggest Hold Seen!!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ameph
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged

File: The Western Realm Alpha Three.hold (100.1 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Western Realm(Updated 12/02) (0)  
Hello, folks.

It's me, Ameph.
You might know me as the author of the pitiful attempt of a hold known as the Pitiful which took the label as 'Largest Hold' for awhile.

I did discover that someone (thanks to who ever did) went and completely fixed my unsolvable hold after I got scared and fled DROD.net. I have learned from past mistakes such as make sure the room is solvable as well as make sure that people can go back. Big mistakes on my part when I made the Pitiful.

I recently came back here and saw that there was a new DROD out. After playing with it, many ideas have come to me. Before I knew it, I was already in the process of making 'The Western Realm' which I aim to make larger and more deadlier than the Pitiful. I also plan to make smarter rooms compared to the workaholic rooms back in the Pitiful. I'm sure those who played it remember those rooms.

I don't have a file yet but I plan to get the first level ready to show what it is.

Update: First Three Levels are complete.

[Last edited by Ameph at 12-02-2007 09:29 PM]
11-16-2007 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: The Western Realm (0)  
I liked the element of exploration that Pitiful had in that you had to find all of the rooms, but you "knew" where they were. I'm talking about levels like The Secret Passage (level 6) or Razor Ridge (level 12) where you had an interesting architectural idea and the puzzles fit into that space.

However, I agree with you in that a lot of the rooms were tedious and not that fun to complete. If you can combine the sort of atmosphere you had with Bloody Fort (secret level 1) and Red Rocks (level 8) with fun, interesting puzzles, you could make a good hold.

I, for one, am looking forward to The Western Realm. :)

11-16-2007 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Give up now. The Lunchbreak Special's 61 levels and five hundred something rooms are tacked to the 'biggest hold ever' award.

Seriously, I hope you don't do that much. I mean, more than 61 levels, and not even a compilation is just doing worse than 'a madman on steroids'.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-16-2007 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ameph
You know that the Lunch Break Special only beat the Pitiful by 73 rooms and it's a Compliation.

For all I know, it was done by one person while the Pitiful was orginally done by me.

Watch me. I'm going to redeem myself for the Pitiful's tedious rooms and poorly tested design.

11-16-2007 at 09:51 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
:hi back!

11-16-2007 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
YES! I for one loved Pitiful, and will gladly help test this! I'm looking forward to it a lot.
11-16-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Ameph wrote:
Watch me. I'm going to redeem myself for the Pitiful's tedious rooms and poorly tested design.
Go for it :) The absolute best kind of architect is one who learns from what he/she did wrong in the past and doesn't make the same mistakes again.

11-17-2007 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I didn't say that I didn't look forward to your hold! I just said that you could aim a few more rooms than lunchbreak special, but not more levels... that would be crazy!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-17-2007 at 01:35 PM
Ameph
Oh, levels? I don't aim for levels. I'm aiming for rooms. Someone could make a 100 Level hold with only 2 rooms per level.

11-17-2007 at 03:11 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
If you're looking for testers, I would love to test it.
11-19-2007 at 04:48 PM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Me to, do you want me to PM my email?
11-19-2007 at 09:29 PM
Ameph

File: The Western Realm Level 1.hold (8.9 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
License: Public Domain
Hmmmm...I could use some testers in a way...

Anyways, I'm about done with 3 levels at the moment. Not much progress. I don't know how many levels I will have in all but I will tell you this...

Level 1 should be 100% conquerable. See what you think.

11-20-2007 at 02:50 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I'm for test too. Download now.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-20-2007 at 02:58 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Yeak, I hate this type of rooms. I give it 4 fun with 2 brains

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-20-2007 at 03:13 PM
Tim
I'd say it's pretty standard fare. About 5 brains.

Some small comments:

* People nowadays don't like dark rooms anymore. We just turn the darkness off.

* It is interesting that you have to finish all the rooms west of 2E before completing 2E, because after you've completed 2E and leave W, you can't enter 2E again.

* 2N1E + 1S1E is just simply unfair.

* 1S1W has been done before.

* There are probably unintentional solutions in 3S1E and 2N2E.

Perhaps you might want to know that there is an Hold Administration Process nowadays that needs to be processed before a hold gets promoted to the Holds board. Rooms that you can't return like 2E means that the hold will not be promoted.

[Last edited by Tim at 11-20-2007 10:28 PM]
11-20-2007 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Overall, I'm rather impressed with the first level. There are some problems, as Tim has pointed out, but it's also a great improvement from Pitiful.

There are many interesting rooms with oremites, Once West being the easiest (and probably one that should be recommended to be done first)

There are also several rooms with hot tiles and bridges that I liked. At first I did not like the way that Twice West was looking, but then I spotted the trick :)

Quarce North Thrice West is both secret and required. If you want this room to be a secret room, then uncheck the required box - that means that you need to finish the room in order to drop the blue door.

Twice North Once East is a pretty tedious room - perhaps some sort of trick involving keeping the wubba alive or manipulating it into a tricky-to-access snake chamber may be in order. Since it's a required room, I'd suggest using crumbly walls instead of secret walls so the player can find the room.

Some rooms are unnecessarily long - Thrice West was very simple after the orb was struck, as the aumtlich never moved and the queen spawn was very regular. The briar took a really long time to kill everything. Perhaps speeding it up by walling off some of the areas might be a good idea.

I'm not sure what Once North Thrice East is about - I was able to mop up the tar and babies really easily despite the hot tiles, and then I just had to wait a long time for the tar mother to get blown up.

I'm not sure what your intended solution is for Twice North Thrice West - I just dropped one of the trapdoors on the bridge and lured the serpent onto the bridge, killing it.

Anyway, this is a good first effort, and if the remaining levels are of this quality or better, I think it'll be a great hold. I like your style and look forward to seeing more puzzles. :)

11-20-2007 at 08:52 PM
Ameph
I saw that and fixed it, I did.

My current version must be updated. The far 4N3W is currently required in my files. I, however, noticed the problem in W2 and fixed it.

The Snake Room with the Wubba is difficult? I thought it was pretty straight forward. I was able to do it myself once I figured out how the Wubba moved.

However, how bad are the dark rooms? Are they looked down on in this site? That will ruin my plans a little.

11-20-2007 at 11:47 PM
Chaco
No, the snake room with the wubba is boring and easy.

I'm saying that if you redid that room and made it more difficult it would be a better room.

I don't like it when darkness is used to hide things, but I like it when it's used for atmospheric and decorative effect, and the player can still see what is going on in the room easily.

11-20-2007 at 11:52 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Ameph wrote:
However, how bad are the dark rooms? Are they looked down on in this site? That will ruin my plans a little.

The "Cheap, Unpopular, and Filler rooms" section of this post explains what you should avoid in architecture.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-20-2007 at 11:55 PM
Tim
I found the wubba room to be easy, except I had problems looking for the secret walls in the room. (Perhaps because my monitor is really old.)

The problem with darkness is that it is depending on the monitor you are using. During testing, it was found that complete darkness is still visible on a laptop, but is completely black on an old-fashioned large monitor.

For your information, your dark rooms were so dark, they looked almost completely black to me.

11-20-2007 at 11:59 PM
Ameph
Guess I'll have to change my next level and change the darkness on those levels.

It's called 'The Dark Abyss'

11-21-2007 at 01:07 AM
Ameph
An update on those waiting. This will probably take awhile to complete this hold. I'm also waiting out on getting the full version of TCB so I can make the levels look different rather than the same.

I have the first 2 Levels complete as well as one of the Secret Levels.

Third level will take awhile. It's going to be a very big one, she is. Anyone interested in seeing the new Level 1 as well as the second one or would that ruin the suspense?

11-28-2007 at 03:18 PM
Ameph
icon Re: The Western Realm(Updated 12/02) (0)  
Dump to update.

12-03-2007 at 12:38 AM
Ameph
I know someone has gotten through those levels by now...

12-13-2007 at 03:16 PM
Tim
I'm usually not willing to play an alpha hold, especially since I've already completed level one before. And I have to do it again because it's a different hold?

Any chance for an anyone-edit version?

12-15-2007 at 05:47 PM
Ameph
I believe it is...

When I upload it again, I can make into an anyone hold.

12-15-2007 at 11:57 PM
Tim
Nuntar wrote:
I thought I'd try this out but my DROD is telling me I can't play the hold as it was created on a newer version. As I've been out of the loop for so long, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can someone tell me if there's a way round it?
Just download the patch here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php

Note: Please back up all the files before you patch. I can't guarantee anything as I haven't patched myself yet. :)

12-16-2007 at 09:14 PM
Tim
Nuntar wrote:
Is it exactly the same room? If not, how similar must a room be to an old one for this to be a problem, as such? Surely most of the basic ideas have been done by now... does this mean we can't have any basic rooms in our holds at all? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just trying to learn the ropes, asking these questions because I really don't know the answers.)
If I recall correctly (I've already deleted the hold) the room looks and plays like (but not exactly the same as) Odd Jobs Medium : 1 Harmonica : 1 East.

It doesn't mean that it is bad, but more like, "Hey! I've played it before!" I'm only the guy who spots the things. What the achitect do with it is up to them. (s)he can keep it, or enhance it, or change it.

What an Architect should not do, is making an exact copy of other people's rooms and let the original creator find it after it is being uploaded into Holds Board. (Let's just say I was a bit disappointed when someone did that with one of my rooms.)

12-17-2007 at 03:03 PM
Chaco
King Reubus' Palace : The Lobby : 1 West and The Killing Jar : The dark basement : 3 West are also rather similar rooms.

12-17-2007 at 03:11 PM
Ameph
I can tell you that I have no intent on copying rooms. I had no idea that the room was similar to others.

But the other rooms I see don't have Oremites, though.

12-17-2007 at 04:41 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Western Realm(Updated 12/02) (Brave the Biggest Hold Seen!!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com