Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Grand Constructions (Official activity for August.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Director of Department of Grand Constructions (+1)  
And a quick update on my end, I did.
08-23-2007 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Director of Department of Grand Constructions (0)  
Congrats, Ezlo!

Question to Erik: Are you planning to do an Illumination before the end of this contest? If so, I can send you a Topic Picks at the end of this month.

I am not applying to any function here yet, at least not before I know who won the voting.

08-23-2007 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Tim wrote:
Question to Erik: Are you planning to do an Illumination before the end of this contest? If so, I can send you a Topic Picks at the end of this month.
Illumination continues next month. I still have to sort out the bulk e-mail problem. Thanks for offering on the Topic Picks!

-Erik

08-24-2007 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ezlo has accepted the position as new Chief Editor. He'll be grandfathered into the Departmental position instead of appointed by the not-yet-elected Director. Gamer_Extreme_101 picked Ezlo for this job. I think Ezlo will be awesome.

Ezlo, I'm going now to update your permissions.

-Erik

08-25-2007 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
where was the part where patrick even considers that other people were applying for the job, like myself?

08-25-2007 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
silver wrote:
where was the part where patrick even considers that other people were applying for the job, like myself?
As far as I can tell, people stepping down from positions aren't required to publicly ask for all candidates. If they wish to just do some shoulder-tapping to find their successor, it seems that's valid.

08-25-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
I know that Patrick did consider a number of people and talked to some of them. I'm not saying he considered every possible person and his decision must have been perfect, but I think he was responsible about it.

There was some confusion about how the spot would be filled because first I asked Patrick to make a decision and didn't hear back from him. Thinking he'd gone AWOL, I then said that the Director would fill the position. But then I learned Patrick was asking around so I reverted back to having Patrick do it.

-Erik

08-25-2007 at 05:21 PM
ErikH2000
Schik wrote:
As far as I can tell, people stepping down from positions aren't required to publicly ask for all candidates. If they wish to just do some shoulder-tapping to find their successor, it seems that's valid.
That's right. Except for a few special cases all the positions work like that. It is mainly this way so that people can plan their own departure gracefully without waiting for a Director appointment, election, or something else to happen. Or in the case of people who wouldn't wait, the position isn't left abandoned while a replacement is sought.

-Erik

08-25-2007 at 05:28 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, everybody's dispersed and gone home and forgot about this whole contest, but still...

Congratulations to JBluestein, not only for winning, but for immediately doing constructive things after getting elected. Josh gets 100 rank points and one item of his choosing from the Prize Pile for all of his skillful political maneuvering.

Chaco ran a vigorous campaign with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy. He fully deserves those 50 rank points.

MeckMeck GRE positioned himself as a political outsider seeking to bring down the system. Hmmm. Well, maybe that wasn't what he was trying to do. Anyhow, he gets 25 rank points and my appreciation for putting his name forward.

Everybody that posted in the contest topics before... NOW... is considered a participant. See why I couldn't tell you the rules of participation beforehand? So this list includes:

bflatjeff
calamarain
coppro
Elfstone
Ezlo
gamer_extreme_101
golfrman
Jason
Jatopian
Kwakstur
Mattcrampy
Maurog
mrimer
NiroZ
NoahT
schep
Schik
silver
Tahnan
Tim
techant

Who was a rookie? Jeez, I can't tell you right away. Will have to get back to you on that.

Enjoy your new overlord! --I mean, "democratically appointed public servant".

-Erik

09-22-2007 at 02:50 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
A participant? As in participated in a contest, on our way to participating in 8 contests? :)

09-22-2007 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
calamarain wrote:
A participant? As in participated in a contest, on our way to participating in 8 contests? :)
Yep.

09-22-2007 at 03:47 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yes, indeed, congratulations to everyone! Not just the candidates, but the voters as well, for expressing their voices and making sure the right person was put in the right place! I had a lot of fun campaigning and I believe jbluestein truly won the election.

I'd like to take the opportunity now to mention that just because I am not the Director of the Department of Grand Constructions does not mean I am not a part of the Bureaucracy right now. Some of you may have already observed this. :)

To save the rest of you time, I've joined the Department of Grand Constructions by becoming a Hold Administrator. It's a job that I believe takes up as much time, or perhaps more time, than being a Director, it gives me some more authority as well, and it's one that I enjoy working with. So, as a result, I will probably not attempt to leave my current job and run for Director of Department of Challenges.

Good job to all who participated in the August activity! I hope our Bureaucracy will become stronger and better as it is formed, but in order to do that, we need informed and expressive citizens, so make sure you vote in the next election, wherever that may be! :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-22-2007 02:35 PM]
09-22-2007 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Chaco wrote:
So, as a result, I will probably not attempt to leave my current job and run for Director of Department of Challenges.
There is nothing to say that being a HA will stop you taking a directors role in another department, in fact, Erik has said the following as pre-reqs for a directors role...
ErikH2000 wrote:
Objective Qualifications (enforceable by Registrar)
* Has played DROD for at least six months.
* Has participated in the hold building process as a published architect or hold administrator.
Steve.
09-23-2007 at 07:30 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Yes, actually, there is.

I removed "Hold Administrators" from the list of required positions for the Department. It will go under the Meta-Office instead, which is another way of saying that the Bureaucracy rules won't apply to it. Which is another way of saying "it ain't broke, so we don't fix it".

-Erik
Combined with the 1-Department rule, that means that HAs aren't eligible for any position outside the Meta-Office.
09-23-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
coppro wrote:
Combined with the 1-Department rule, that means that HAs aren't eligible for any position outside the Meta-Office.
Is the Meta-Office considered to be a department in that sense? And considering jbluestein is already the Director of Grand Constructions I think we need clarification from the tinkerer.

Steve.
09-23-2007 at 07:54 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
It will go under the Meta-Office instead, which is another way of saying that the Bureaucracy rules won't apply to it. Which is another way of saying "it ain't broke, so we don't fix it".

-Erik
09-23-2007 at 07:58 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
The Meta-Rules specifically state that the Meta-Office is exempt from the One-Department rule. ;)

09-29-2007 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Grand Constructions (Official activity for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com