Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : 2 player drod (yea some wont like that...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
IP: Logged
icon 2 player drod (0)  
I am thinking of an two player version of drod... Basicly you got 2 Beethros who can move at the same time (that is the game waits for the next turn as long as both have entered their next move).

If one of them leaves a room, he wont be able to until the other one does so as well.

I know that most of the rooms would be unbelievably easy with two players, but I guess we could build severell wonderful rholds which just can be finished with both of them.

Basicly.... thinking about it is kind of similar to a clone and a speed potion with switching betwenn beethro and the clone after each half turn. Still it would make life much easier to create some nice 2 player holds...
06-18-2007 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3640
icon Re: 2 player drod (0)  
Which Beethro moves first?

Would monsters use the current "go towards whichever friendly entity is closest to me" algorithm that they use with Stalwarts and Beethro?

What happens if one of the Beethros dies? Do both have to restart the room?

What happens if one of the players quits in the middle of the game? Does that end the game for the other player as well?

06-18-2007 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
The move instandly... like the game waits until both players enteres their next move and then it executes both moves instandly.

Enemies go after the closer player, if both are at the same distance of it the should be some kind of preference directions (like snakes)

If one beethro dies they have to restart (although their could be an option that just one has to finish, some kind of matyrizing thing)

I wasnt think about what happens if one player leaves. I didnt thought about it being an online thing, more sth offline so two players (or one of course) can play it on one machine... If played online it might be tedious to communicate...

what do you think about it?
06-18-2007 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
What happens when they both want to move to the same square? Do they bump into each other and bounce back? Does one of them move (thereby moving before the other one)?
06-18-2007 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
There are many requests on 2-player DROD. And it is rumored that a 'Smite-To-The-Death'-like program will be made.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-18-2007 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Ravon wrote:
What happens when they both want to move to the same square? Do they bump into each other and bounce back? Does one of them move (thereby moving before the other one)?
#

I would say if both try moving on the same square they should get killed and forced to redo the move, as this is not a natural behaviour.

06-18-2007 at 05:22 PM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
That's an awful idea. It'd cause far too much frustration and annoyance.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
06-18-2007 at 06:24 PM
Geiler Hengst
or do some player one over player 2 algorithm, like it is with beethro and a mimic... that is a diagonal move of player 2 might be changed into a vertical/horiontal one...
06-18-2007 at 09:33 PM
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
That is an excellent idea, very possibly the best I've heard yet.:thumbsup

However, how would you determine which beethro moves first?
06-18-2007 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Ravon wrote:
However, how would you determine which beethro moves first?
Presumably, you wouldn't - the game would use an algorithm that checked for impossible move combos, then just move them one at a time in an arbitrary fashion. The "arbitrary" bit doesn't matter if nothing moves between their moves and their moves don't interfere.

06-19-2007 at 03:42 AM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
or 1 beethro, before he plays chooses his role as leader beethro, and after both players choose to move the leader moves first and the second beethro will just budge the square the leader is in like a wall, all done in 1 move, dont know if this was what you were saying jatopian as i have no idea what arbitrary means...heard it loads of times though
06-19-2007 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: 2 player drod (+1)  
The worst part of this idea, besides the fact that it would play frustatingly disjuncted, is that DROD is about planning and predicting what happens in the room. So two player DROD would end up as the first player to solve the puzzle dictating moves to the second player, leaving the first player with a less responsive clone and the second player with a menial task not anything like DROD. Even if the room was about horde killing, which usually allows more freedom in the players movements, it would still take more time coordinating your moves than actually killing the monsters.
06-19-2007 at 12:28 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
HAY GUYZ LETS REMOVE TURNS LOL :fun :thumbsup

06-19-2007 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Krishh wrote:
The worst part of this idea, besides the fact that it would play frustatingly disjuncted, is that DROD is about planning and predicting what happens in the room. So two player DROD would end up as the first player to solve the puzzle dictating moves to the second player, leaving the first player with a less responsive clone and the second player with a menial task not anything like DROD. Even if the room was about horde killing, which usually allows more freedom in the players movements, it would still take more time coordinating your moves than actually killing the monsters.

nono it would perfectly work as long as they dont interfere... for example they would have to clear two seperate puzzles in a short amount of time and in they end they just enter together. Or they could manage an unbelievable hord of roaches which would be impossible to do alone.

See it as i meantioned before as an easy implementation of two clones on red tiles. That is they have to move each and every turn but you skip the boring switching in between. and the two beethros (beethro and assthro :-) dont have do move actually if the situation calls for not moving...
06-19-2007 at 04:45 PM
Bobpie
Rank Points: 54
I think this is a idea worth some concideration, this would add some interesting elements to the game, for example a monster that has a twin you have to kill at the same time or they regenerate.
There, of course, would be the annoying and mentally constipateing(not a blood clot to the brain) series of events that would go into makeing this. For example, would this be via internet, or would two people have to be in the same room, or have a lan connection going. There is also those constently talked about issues oon this topic. ALSO, if this is 2-player AND you have to play it one computer, why can't one player just play both roles?
But once again, this idea could be a good one IF some of these details could be put to rest. Who knows, there could be a DROD comeing out called "DROD: The Delver Duo"?
06-20-2007 at 01:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : 2 player drod (yea some wont like that...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com