Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Controlling AE style transfers (Already coded!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1309
IP: Logged

File: DROD30ChangeAEStyles.patch (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
License: Other
icon Controlling AE style transfers (+3)  
I have attached a patch that will add 9 new ini options called AEStyle1, AEStyle2, AEStyle3, etc. in the Graphics section that can be used to control the style translation from AE. Then, whenever an AE style is played, it's played as if it were the chosen style. Unfortunately, due to the method of converting styles, this cannot apply retroactively - holds need to be reimported for this to apply to them. However, if a hold with an older style is then edited and reexported, the fact that it remains an old style will be retained in the hold file (as with JtRH).

I think that some people who don't like the built-in style associations will like this request.

Also, given this, it would also be possible to allow the old styles to be selected on the style menu (probably as another ini option), but I haven't coded it yet.

NOTE: I don't want the fact that I've coded this to mean it must be included. I can still use it for my own purposes if it doesn't make it into the next patch.

EDIT: Changed licensing to MPL, which it should be.

[Last edited by coppro at 02-07-2008 09:44 PM : At Mike's request]
05-13-2007 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Controlling AE style transfers (0)  
I have no idea why people would downmod this post in any way - this is a legitimately interesting idea, and he even took the time to code it.

That being said, I'm sure that someone would have to recreate the AE styles into TCB compatible styles, which shouldn't be that difficult, I imagine. Heck, even I could do it if I was given a little direction. It'd be an interesting feature, to say the least.

Edit: Idea #2: Perhaps, instead of being as a part of an official patch, what about if it was turned into an unofficial patch? If anything, that'd probably be more appropriate, considering that it'll be only the hardcore players who want it the most.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 05-13-2007 05:49 AM]
05-13-2007 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
I've already released an unofficial code patch. However, I don't want to release an actual executable, as Caravel has already made it clear that they don't want people releasing their own binaries on their site.
05-13-2007 at 03:45 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yay, coppro! Hopefully the AE styles & support for them do eventually find their way into the game proper.

05-13-2007 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro

File: old-styles-unified.patch (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Controlling AE style transfers (+1)  
Attached a unified diff.

Now you won't have to have a headache.

(Note: Trick mentioned something about not creating a dependency on DROD from DRODLib. If this is a problem, you can move wszOldStyleNames to a different file.)
08-14-2007 at 12:59 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Actually, I already remade seven of the nine AE styles for DROD: TCB in my spare time (everything but Cavern and Voids, for reasons that can probably be guessed). However, I currently have not exported them due to this bug.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-14-2007 01:14 AM]
08-14-2007 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Haven't you already done Voids (Voids 3.0)?

Also, the bug should be fixed for the new 3.1 beta patch (hopefully). I can't wait to see those changes!
08-14-2007 at 01:15 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
I mis-spoke. Yes, Voids is one of those six. Cavern, Ice and Sanctum are not replaced. I've made Slime, Cliffs, Voids, Palace, Lava, and Catacombs 3.0. I used Cavern Redux, hard walls for Iceworks, and hard walls for Fortress for the other three styles. The main reason I made them was for that Compilation of KDD Challenges I was doing in my spare time, which needed a bit of authentic flavor. But I digress.

The current way I've got things set up is that the "soft" wall background is a hue-change of the regular wall, and you can get the "filled-in" AE-style change by using hard wall.

However, AE holds use soft wall by default, so when playing those holds with these styles, you would get discolored inner walls, and not uniform walls.

If I make the "soft" wall and hard wall images the same, though, there's no point in using hard wall, and if I make the hard wall images hue-changed versions of the soft wall images, then I break consistency by making soft walls act hard, and hard walls act soft.

Actually, I could even export those styles right now by grouping the LavaTiles, LavaPit, etc. with the VoidsRoad, VoidsGrass etc. images. Those images would be ignored in AE holds due to the fact that those floor types don't even exist in AE.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-14-2007 01:26 AM]
08-14-2007 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
Could I help makeing the other styles?

08-14-2007 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
Rise, my undead minion! Bwahahahaha!

This feature would be really nice, especially once you take the conversion of the AE styles to TCB into account. It would be rather win to be able to play AE holds with the graphics they were designed with, WITHOUT having to give up features like, you know, undo.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find some fresh virgin's blood. This last bit of necromancy seems to have drained my stockpile.
08-05-2008 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Controlling AE style transfers (Already coded!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com