Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod: AE styles in TCB
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged

File: AEStyles.zip (420.4 KB)
Downloaded 360 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Drod: AE styles in TCB (+3)  
This is a project I've been working on for a few days and it's ready now. The .zip file includes all the 9 styles, originally from Architect's Edition, modified for use in TCB, put in .dmf files. This includes wals, breakable walls, force arrows, trapdoors and the 2x2 obstacle (replaces the 2x2 Empire Statue).

Off course, the styles don't have half the effect if you don't put the music in it. for that, I suggest you go here[url=http:/ http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=117971]. Once you have them, Go to the drod.ini file in the "Drod: The City Beneath" folder, go to the music section and fill this in:

(Style you want the music for)Ambient=(Name of the file).ogg
(Style you want the music for)Attack=(Name of the file).ogg
(Style you want the music for)Exit=gustomatic.ogg
(Style you want the music for)Exit=underway.ogg
(Style you want the music for)puzzle=(Name of the file).ogg

you have to do this for every one of them.

Cavern          thespaces.ogg
Cliffs          delusions.ogg
Slime           simple.ogg
Voids AE        nightwlk.ogg
Ice             gladyoucame.ogg
Lava            thewaydown.ogg
Palace          thegivers.ogg
Catacombs       fortune.ogg
Sanctum         waiting.ogg

I'll post the images and tim files later.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-09-2008 10:16 PM]
02-07-2008 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
icon Re: Drod: AE styles in TCB (+1)  
Timo,

I don't know how you do it, but you obviously seem to have the same ideas as me.
Once again you beat me with the creation of a style. I've been working on the same AE style conversions for some time now, and they're practically finished.

I have created some additional tiles which you don't have yet, so I can offer to collaborate on this.

(Also, your link is broken)

[Last edited by Jutt at 02-07-2008 07:45 PM]
02-07-2008 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006

File: StyleImages.zip (119.6 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
Jutt wrote:
Timo,

I don't know how you do it, but you obviously seem to have the same ideas as me.
Once again you beat me with the creation of a style. I've been working on the same AE style conversions for some time now, and they're practically finished.

I have created some additional tiles which you don't have yet, so I can offer to collaborate on this.

(Also, your link is broken)

Of course, I don't see any reason why not. give me a moment and I'll put all the files that I made for it.

EDIT: Here you go, included are all the files you need.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-07-2008 09:35 PM]
02-07-2008 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt

File: AE_style_images.zip (184.8 KB)
Downloaded 94 times.
icon Re: Drod: AE styles in TCB (+2)  
Hmm, I attached my original files, which mostly correspond with yours, but have a somewhat different look. They have additional tiles for tunnels and 1x1 and 3x3 variations on the obstacles. The obstacles however don't fit properly into your template, partially because you're replacing a different obstacle, which doesn't have a 3x3 variant.

02-07-2008 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
I have to say it, the images you made are really good. A lot smoother too. I just took the pictures from the originals and made them larger.

EDIT: another thing, in the AE6Tiles, remove the purple color around the obstacle.

EDIT AGAIN: aren't there some graphical mistakes when you place the walls in certain positions? I had that problem, that's why the Wall images from from me aren't just the same as solid walls.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-07-2008 10:28 PM]
02-07-2008 at 10:24 PM
Jutt
icon Re: Drod: AE styles in TCB (0)  
I have to say it, the images you made are really good. A lot smoother too. I just took the pictures from the originals and made them larger.
Thanks, it took me quite some time to figure out a way to get them smooth like this. Enlargement from 14x14 to 22x22 is tricky.
EDIT: another thing, in the AE6Tiles, remove the purple color around the obstacle.
Good one. It looks fine when placed on a floor, but I forgot that obstacles can be placed nearly everywhere. I'll see what I can do.
EDIT AGAIN: aren't there some graphical mistakes when you place the walls in certain positions? I had that problem, that's why the Wall images from from me aren't just the same as solid walls.
Yeah, the walls are a bit problematic. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I think your solution with alternative wall images is the best option. In that case I will have to make some changes to the walls, which will take some time.

02-07-2008 at 10:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Jutt wrote:
Thanks, it took me quite some time to figure out a way to get them smooth like this. Enlargement from 14x14 to 22x22 is tricky.
I need to do some tricky tile enlargement myself. Would you describe how exactly you did it?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-07-2008 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Jutt wrote:
Yeah, the walls are a bit problematic. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. I think your solution with alternative wall images is the best option. In that case I will have to make some changes to the walls, which will take some time.
I was able to solve a few of these graphical issues by adding a few black lines at the edges.

Also, whar program are you using to make these images?

02-07-2008 at 11:29 PM
Jutt
mrimer: I need to do some tricky tile enlargement myself. Would you describe how exactly you did it?
I didn't use the same method everywhere, since there is no method that works well for every image. I have one trick though which tends to work quite well for these tiles. As I don't know what your images look like, I can't tell whether this will work for you.

First I enlarged the tiles with a factor 2 to 28x28, using a simple pixel resizing. this doesn't degrade the image quality as all pixels are preserved, and keeps all lines sharp.
Then I rework the pixel art in places where the enlarged pixels make the image look blocky. In some cases this requires a lot of work.
When I'm satisfied I downscale the tiles to their final size. Reducing the image size is much easier than enlarging it, which helps preserving the image quality. For the downsampling I used a lanczos interpolation and a little tad of sharpening afterwards.

That's it; a bit complicated and time consuming though.

Timo: I was able to solve a few of these graphical issues by adding a few black lines at the edges.
Okay, will try that tomorrow, it's getting a bit late now.

Timo: Also, what program are you using to make these images?
A combination of Paint (pixel art), Irfanview (Lanczos resizing) and GIMP (Whenever I need some advanced tools).

02-07-2008 at 11:49 PM
Timo006

File: Tiles.zip (194.1 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Other
So, I've made the Tiles from your images a bit better, and a lot of graphical bugs are fixed with this. you still have to change the Wall images though.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-08-2008 03:34 PM]
02-08-2008 at 03:01 PM
Jutt

File: AE_style_images.zip (199.8 KB)
Downloaded 87 times.
Here's the full set with all graphical bugs fixed. I also included your original wall images. They fit into the styles very well, so I don't think they need any special graphics.

02-08-2008 at 05:11 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
OK, maybe I'm a touch inept, but I can't quite work out how to take the .dmfs from the top post and tweak things to get the graphics from Jutt's last post into them. Am I going to be better off waiting for revised .dmfs in this case?

02-08-2008 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jutt
You can't simply put the new graphics in the old dmf files. You'll either have to drop the new images in the appropriate Drod directory and modify your drod.ini, or wait for the new dmf's to be posted. The latter probably only depends on wether we concider this project as finished.

02-08-2008 at 07:02 PM
Hikari
I figured that much... I'm just not much good at the drod.ini stuff if I don't have a definite "here's what you do". I'll just wait for the project to be finished, I guess.

02-08-2008 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Timo006
I've made all the nine dmf's, I'll put them up in the top post in just a minute.

02-08-2008 at 08:36 PM
Jutt

File: AE_Floors.zip (28.8 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
Here are some additional images for the alternate floors. I think they fit in with the styles quite nicely.
You may include them in the dmf's as well.

02-09-2008 at 02:57 PM
Timo006
Really nice images you've got there. I'll be putting them in the dmfs as soon as possible.

EDIT: Here, this should do it.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-09-2008 07:16 PM]
02-09-2008 at 06:24 PM
Blooloo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Could You Please give me step by step instruction on ho to do this using a mac? :?

02-10-2008 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
I don't have a mac, so I don't know how to implement these styles on a mac :?, could somebody be kind enough to give some information on this?

02-10-2008 at 11:20 AM
Timo006
Blooloo wrote:
No, I mean the Music.

Sorry, but I don't know how to do that, I don't have a mac, so I really can't help you with that.

Could somebody using a mac please give some info on this?

02-11-2008 at 06:50 PM
Hikari
icon Re: Drod: AE styles in TCB (+3)  
I've not tested to make sure this works, but I'm pretty sure it will...

Right-click on your DROD-TCB.app, and choose 'Show Package Contents'. Once you're inside, go to Contents, Resources, Data, Music. That's where you'll want to put the .ogg files.

Your .ini file should be located in your user folder, Library, Application Support, Caravel, (either drod-3_0 or drod-3_0-demo depending on if you have the full version or not). You'll have to manually tell TextEdit to open it, as it shouldn't be auto-associated, but once you're in there, you can go ahead and modify as stated in the first post in this thread.

To make it easier, here's the section out of mine (though I've got some other styles installed, so check to make sure you've got all the ones I've got, and if there's any missing, strike them from this before you paste it in).

Click here to view the secret text

02-12-2008 at 06:44 PM
Blooloo
:? :hmmm: Still Says Textedit Can't Save it. Sorry I didn't Tell You Earlier,Hikari.

[Last edited by Blooloo at 02-16-2008 03:42 PM]
02-16-2008 at 03:41 PM
Hikari
OK. Try control-clicking on the file, then 'Get Info'. If the box under 'General' that says 'Locked' is checked, uncheck it. Also, make sure that under 'Ownership & Permissions', it says you can Read & Write. Then try it.

02-18-2008 at 07:36 PM
Blooloo
It says read only and even The admin password can't change permissions. :(

04-13-2008 at 04:39 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
This might seem obvious, but you aren't running TCB when trying to edit the file, are you? If you are, close it first.
04-13-2008 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blooloo
Still doesn't work... :(

04-19-2008 at 05:32 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Blooloo wrote:
Still doesn't work... :(
By default, Macs and Linux systems have file-level permissions. For some reason, it sounds like the file has root only write permissions.

My advice would be to find out where the file is on your drive. If you use the file explorer (or Mac equivalent), you should be able to work out the location. It will probably be something like /home/blooloo/.caravel/something. I'm afraid I'm not a Mac expert but the path to the file should appear at the top of your file browser.

Next step would be to drop to the prompt. That may be called Terminal or similar. It looks like a black screen with a prompt.

Having noted the path, type "chmod 777 path_to_file". That will allow everyone to edit the file. If you get a permissions error, try "sudo chmod 777 path_to_file", and if that fails, log in as the root user (or using "su -" should switch user to root without rebooting). At that point, run my first command and reboot and log in as usual. You should then be able to edit the file...
04-20-2008 at 07:23 AM
Blooloo
I've fixed up all the permissions. now, how do I actually edit the directory?I can't find DROD 3.2 under app support.

[Last edited by Blooloo at 05-19-2008 02:42 PM]
05-19-2008 at 04:44 AM
Hikari
Blooloo wrote:
I've fixed up all the permissions. now, how do I actually edit the directory?I can't find DROD 3.2 under app support.

Hikari wrote:
Your .ini file should be located in your user folder, Library, Application Support, Caravel, (either drod-3_0 or drod-3_0-demo depending on if you have the full version or not). You'll have to manually tell TextEdit to open it, as it shouldn't be auto-associated, but once you're in there, you can go ahead and modify as stated in the first post in this thread.

Is this what you're asking for?

05-28-2008 at 11:38 AM
Blooloo
oops. sorry. :frusty Now i'm faced with a different problem. I've stored all the files in "music" and the lines in the .ini. What's wrong?

[Last edited by Blooloo at 05-29-2008 02:52 PM]
05-29-2008 at 02:49 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod: AE styles in TCB
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No