Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : SSSlitherin (Explore SSSlitherin)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (23 votes)
σ 1.04
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:SSSlitherin
Theme:Explore SSSlitherin
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:23
Number of Monsters:49
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: SSSlitherin.hold (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 1570 times.
License: Other
icon SSSlitherin  
SSSlitherin

Beethro is called upon to do some exterminating at a place called SSSlitherin.
Beethro will have to master the hold to find out the secrets about SSSlitherin and its lisping curator Sam Smiley.

-Custom floors.
-Original puzzles.
-Fun story.

WARNING: There are gunna be snakes, so..

How to prepare:

1. Read up on snake movement rules.
Check-
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2587&page=0#23935

bibelot explains unbrained serpents-
Click here to view the secret text

2. Install serpent clock.
One can be found here-
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6321&page=0#63477

3. Practice, practice, practice.
Try playing Tim's excellent hold named Penthouse.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6606

Testers-
Briareos
michthro
10-13-2006 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
icon Re: SSSlitherin (+1)  
Mastered it. :)

Needless to say this is a great hold.

Now on to the expert version...

10-13-2006 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
You just beat me to it!! Mastered, although I think that is enough snakes for one day.

Another excellent hold by Larry. I like that in most of the rooms, you can see exactly what needs to be done, but still need to spend some time thinking it through.

Out of all holds I've played, I think I've made more use of backspace here than anywhere else!

Thanks Larry.

Steve.
10-13-2006 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: SSSlitherin (0)  
W00t! A Larrymurk Hold! Hopefully this'll be the third one I master! (The other two? Odd Jobs Novice and DROD Learning Zone...)

10-13-2006 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Ah, five brains. This will be a nice warm-up to the expert version.

I'm set and ready to go!

10-13-2006 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
Who needs a serpent clock after this?

An adventure through this hold instills a sense of all things snakeley, and I delighted at the behavior of the common serpent as its movements created unexpected animated cellular automata (ala Game of Life).

The first challenging larrymurk hold I've ever mastered!

What I've learned:

10-14-2006 at 05:12 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Very nice! If you want great serpent rooms larrymurks holds is deffinitly where you should search. These rooms more or less solves themselves due to fabulous architecture, and it's a delight watching snakes shift their movement behaviour exactly when you need it.
10-14-2006 at 10:20 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:
Very nice! If you want great serpent rooms larrymurks holds is deffinitly where you should search. These rooms more or less solves themselves due to fabulous architecture, and it's a delight watching snakes shift their movement behaviour exactly when you need it.
I wonder if you'll say the same about the expert version... ;)

np: SCSI-9 - Albali (The Line Of Nine)

10-14-2006 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I was put off immediately by being asked to buy JtRH and subscribe to Caravelnet. No matter how well meaning, and how nicely it is put, it still grates. The implication, whether meant or not, is that the player doesn't own a paid for copy of JtRH. As for Caravelnet, that is for the individual to decide, not for architects to badger them into it.
10-15-2006 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
bandit1200 wrote:
I was put off immediately by being asked to buy JtRH and subscribe to Caravelnet. No matter how well meaning, and how nicely it is put, it still grates. The implication, whether meant or not, is that the player doesn't own a paid for copy of JtRH.
You can't possibly be serious... :huh

So Larry asks people who play this hold to support Caravel Games, who after all *made* you playing this very hold *possible*. Looks like the right thing to do to me... the hold would have made good Smitemasters Selection material IMHO, so if they had went that route you could not even play it for free; on the other hand, it might not have contained the scroll you object to, then - problem solved.

No-one is forcing you to do anything, though, so why not just ignore that scroll?

Complaining about it takes waaay more time than ignoring it, and will probably only make people look at you funny... :rolleyes

Just my .02 EYPO, though...

np: Yello - Tub Dub (1980-1985: The New Mix In One Go)

10-15-2006 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Yes, I'm serious. I paid for the game - hell, I paid for the Webfoot game when it was released - how many forum users can say that? So I reckon I'm supporting the game. I have no use for a CNet membership, so why should I be cajoled into getting one? What next? A payment to actually register on the forum. (And no, this time I'm NOT serious. ;) )

You're right that it could easily have been an SS hold, and I would have no complaints about that. I don't think I'm entitled to something I'm not paying for, which, of course, I am also entitled to not have.

Complaining about it takes waaay more time than ignoring it,
Umm, so why didn't you just ignore my post? :P

It was just my two penn'orth as well. I had an opinion and voiced it. And yes, I know that opinions are like aol's - everyone has got one and most of them stink.

I should point out, before anyone should think it so, this is nothing personal against Larry. I would have said it whoever had written the scroll.

Anyway, I've made my point, and I'm also off topic, so I'll shut up.

10-15-2006 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I personally don't remember being put off by that, but I have CaravelNet. It is bad to seem pushy; I'm just unsure whether it was.
bandit1200 wrote:
And yes, I know that opinions are like aol's - everyone has got one and most of them stink.
Did you mean "gaols"?

10-15-2006 at 09:32 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Pilchard VIII wrote:
W00t! A Larrymurk Hold! Hopefully this'll be the third one I master! (The other two? Odd Jobs Novice and DROD Learning Zone...)

How about Easy Or Hard?

Great hold larrymurk, my wall has a hole in it. I like the custom floors, and what would make this hold great is voice acting. These are very unique puzzles, very enjoyable! So Larry, keep making more awesome holds!

Keep posting,

10-15-2006 at 10:16 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Jatopian wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
And yes, I know that opinions are like aol's - everyone has got one and most of them stink.
Did you mean "gaols"?

....no. No he didn't.
10-16-2006 at 10:02 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Mastered this hold. :thumbsup

This was an Interesting hold. :) At least I didn't need a snake clock to finish this one.

Some of the rooms seem to be very hard, and others felt very familiar... (6N2E) ;)

I like your idea of adding Q&A's between rooms. It's funny yet incredibly repetitive.

The master room was a bit strange. A voice seems to stay in place while a snake walks around the room. I'm stil not sure if that's intentional...

All in all, a very interesting hold. Since this one is quite easy, I'd say play this one first before playing Penthouse.

(To be honest, if I knew you were doing snake/other monsters interactions, I would have given you the rooms that were left over during Penthouse, but didn't fit in as it was a serpent only hold... Well, I can always use them later...)

-- Tim

10-16-2006 at 09:56 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I've mastered this hold as well (haven't beat the master room yet, though). It was good fun, as I'd expect from a larrymurk hold.

I'd call it very easy, except that snake puzzles aren't really my forte, so it was only fairly easy.

I give it an 8 with 5 brains.

(And yeah, I'll solve the master room, then start on SSSlitherin Expert. I'm sure that will be easy too (choke).)

10-18-2006 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
And mastered... great hold as can be expected from larrymurk. I also love snakes so this was lots of fun :)
05-23-2010 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: SSSlitherin (+2)  
I always wondered if there is a "Snake Hold" - until I discovered this one.

What a fabulous hold. Not too difficult (for me) and lots of fun.

I guess bow I know much more about snake movement :)

Normally I do not like holds' stories, but the one is really funny.

Anybody interested in snake movement should play this hold.

And now to SSSlitherin Expert ...

adS

07-06-2013 at 11:10 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
adS wrote:

For another snake hold, you might want to check out Tim's Penthouse
07-06-2013 at 11:23 PM
adS
Rank Points: 214
larrymurk wrote:
adS wrote:

For another snake hold, you might want to check out Tim's Penthouse

Yes, I have tried that one, too.

However, I like yours much more - probably because I am mathematician. Most rooms are based on a crystal clear ideas and
I have solved some of them with a bit calculation modulo 10.

By the way, I think 5N1W is a lesson about goblin manipulation, not snakes - an excellent room, anyway.

adS

07-07-2013 at 12:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : SSSlitherin (Explore SSSlitherin) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com