Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flow?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Flow? (0)  
I've see and heard several references to a feature request called "The Flow." Apparently people really liked it and it had a chance of being in JTRH. What is this Flow? I can't find a thread the describes it!
06-28-2006 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Flow? (+1)  
Searching for Flow on the F.R. board brought this topic up:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3647&page=0#36185

06-28-2006 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
icon Re: Flow? (0)  
Yeah, but that doesn't really seem to help. It's smoothing out details, I would like to see the original post.
06-28-2006 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, in the old DROD site there used to be an "unconfirmed new elements" page (I don't remember its real name). The flow came from there.

If you are interested in some historical rummaging, you can go to http://web.archive.org/web/20050124080149/http://drod.net/ , click on "upcoming" in the sidebar, and see for yourself. But you should keep this in mind as well.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-28-2006 04:10 PM]
06-28-2006 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Oh! Okay, thanks. That would be neat.
06-28-2006 at 04:21 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Any chance of it being in TCB?
(as if anyone would tell me)

06-28-2006 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There's always a chance. Nothing is 0 probability until it's history.

06-28-2006 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Flow? (+2)  
Pinnacle wrote:
There's a Shroedinger's Cat chance, of course. Do you really want someone to tell you and be responsible for killing the Flow?

++Adam H. Peterson
06-28-2006 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
AlefBet wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
There's a Shroedinger's Cat chance, of course. Do you really want someone to tell you and be responsible for killing the Flow?
Yes; I don't like it. :thumbsdown

06-28-2006 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Jatopian wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
Yes; I don't like it. :thumbsdown

ahh, but they could also tell you that its not in TCB thereby ensuring that it will be.

06-30-2006 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
It's

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-05-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
The Flow is both in and not in TCB in superposition.

++Adam H. Peterson
07-05-2006 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
AlefBet wrote:
The Flow is both in and not in TCB in superposition.
Hey! I thought this was a family-friendly forum! I don't understand the wiki link one bit.

Can someone please explain in a bit for stupid people like me what it means...
(I understand there are a lot of people here that knows a lot about quantum mechanics?)

Is it something like: "I can see that it's in there, but I can't see how fast it goes?"
Or is that something else?

-- Tim O:-

PS. Seriously, can anyone help me for some simple introduction on quantum mechanics? Or is it something that cannot be explain easily?

07-05-2006 at 10:03 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, quantum mechanics simply doesn't/does exist...
07-05-2006 at 10:28 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Well, quantum mechanics simply doesn't/does exist...
Gah. "The Flow" needs a quantum plumber anyway - a mechanic doesn't really help...

np: Dabrye & Invincible & Finale - Viewer Discretion (Two/Three)

07-05-2006 at 11:15 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
mrimer wrote:
It's

"It's" is a contraction of "It Is."
I think Mike just leaked another spoiler...

07-06-2006 at 12:20 AM
AlefBet
Tim wrote:
(I understand there are a lot of people here that knows a lot about quantum mechanics?)
In quantum mechanics, a particle can be in more than one state at the same time. Quantum computers use this property to carry out calculations on many states at once, thus being able to sort of look "everywhere" for the answer. The catch is that when you measure it to find out what its states are, it picks one of the states it's in (probabilistically) and stays there.

The application here is that the TCB code both contains the Flow and doesn't contain the Flow right now. You should see Beethro fighting hordes of monsters not knowing if at any moment a quantum measurement happens and he both dies by the Flow and by the hand of all the monsters the Flow was supposed to kill and wasn't there to. It's actually kind of funny to watch his apprehension, in a cruel sort of way.

++Adam H. Peterson
07-06-2006 at 12:20 AM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Occam Strikes Back (0)  
But how do we know when and how the wavefunction collapses? I think lack of information transcends superposition...

On the other hand, The Flow might just be this "Mothingness" oft referred. When it floweth over, god help us.
07-06-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
spudsfan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Pinnacle wrote:
mrimer wrote:
It's

That, or a random Monty Python reference. Of course, "It's not included", "It's never going to happen", "It's completely unworkable" and "It's time for lunch, so I'll comment later" are all possible as well.
07-06-2006 at 05:45 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
spudsfan wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
mrimer wrote:
It's

That, or a random Monty Python reference. Of course, "It's not included", "It's never going to happen", "It's completely unworkable" and "It's time for lunch, so I'll comment later" are all possible as well.

Is this an argument, I ask you?
07-06-2006 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
coppro wrote:
Is this an argument, I ask you?

No it isn't! ;)

(I saw that episode too)

07-06-2006 at 12:17 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
AlefBet wrote:
Tim wrote:
In quantum mechanics, a particle can be in more than one state at the same time.
To be more specific (and more general so as not to focus on quantum computing): in a lot of quantum mechanics, the state of a system is not exact. There is a probability space that dictates, for example, the position of a particle. Generally there are two values that are intertwined such that if you theoretically know one with absolute certainty, then the other one has an infinite number of possibilities. For example, the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a particle are inter-related, as are the energy and time of that particle.

Because of this limitation on the theoretical knowledge of, say, a particle, you don't know where it is is going to be until you measure it. At that point you fix its value; until then, it could have been in either of two positions (in a simple situation). This is where the whole famous Schrodinger's Cat gedanken experiment comes into consideration...you don't know if the cat is alive or dead until you open up the box, in which case it could even be said that the act of opening up the box kills or doesn't kill the cat.

Some famous scientist (probably Feynman) once said that anyone who says that they fully understand quantum mechanics is either lying or insane, so don't feel bad if you don't really get it just yet. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-07-2006 at 12:11 AM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
Another theory in quantum mechanics is that it's possible to have negative information. That is, after you are told the information you actually know less than you did before. Thus it may be possible that the developers may have told us of the existence/non-existence of flow already, but we no longer have that information in our grasp. Heck, it may be possible that the developers no longer know...

07-07-2006 at 12:25 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Here's my explanation:

Quantum physics does (not) exist.
07-07-2006 at 02:12 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oneiromancer wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
In quantum mechanics, a particle can be in more than one state at the same time.
To be more specific (and more general so as not to focus on quantum computing): in a lot of quantum mechanics, the state of a system is not exact. There is a probability space that dictates, for example, the position of a particle. Generally there are two values that are intertwined such that if you theoretically know one with absolute certainty, then the other one has an infinite number of possibilities. For example, the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a particle are inter-related, as are the energy and time of that particle.
Yep. Understand.
Because of this limitation on the theoretical knowledge of, say, a particle, you don't know where it is is going to be until you measure it. At that point you fix its value; until then, it could have been in either of two positions (in a simple situation). This is where the whole famous Schrodinger's Cat gedanken experiment comes into consideration...you don't know if the cat is alive or dead until you open up the box, in which case it could even be said that the act of opening up the box kills or doesn't kill the cat.
About the measurement with position and momentum, suppose I know I can only measure the position of a thing in time t. Suppose you can only measure the momentum of that same particle on the exact same time t. Does that mean that I can never tell you my answer?

I am reading the Schrödinger's cat experiment on Wiki, but that only says that personal observation leads to a fixed state. Now I want you to do this (thought) experiment: Same box, same you. But this time, I open the box, but you can't see or smell what's inside. Is the cat dead or not? It's been observed, so the cat can only have one of the states. But since you haven't saw it, it has both states?
Some famous scientist (probably Feynman) once said that anyone who says that they fully understand quantum mechanics is either lying or insane, so don't feel bad if you don't really get it just yet. ;)
Let's say that I'm lying in my bed right now, so I must be able to fully understand it ;) But I think I am capable to understand most of it, but I just need some (web) pointers, as I don't know where to look for good information. Any pointers would be nice.

-- Tim
07-07-2006 at 08:41 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Tim wrote:
I am reading the Schrödinger's cat experiment on Wiki, but that only says that personal observation leads to a fixed state. Now I want you to do this (thought) experiment: Same box, same you. But this time, I open the box, but you can't see or smell what's inside. Is the cat dead or not? It's been observed, so the cat can only have one of the states. But since you haven't saw it, it has both states?
Yes...objects exist only when observed (of course that means interacting with something...not just that a sentient being has to look at it with his eyes). Still, Einstein once half-joked that he felt uncomfortable with the notion that the moon doesn't exist until he looks at it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-08-2006 at 04:10 AM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
mrimer wrote:
Still, Einstein once half-joked that he felt uncomfortable with the notion that the moon doesn't exist until he looks at it.
I feel uncomforable with that notion too... because Einstein hasn't looked at the moon for over fifty years!

07-08-2006 at 05:44 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well...not to denigrate Einstein, of course, but that's not really an issue. Remember, quantum mechanics is meant to describe very very small things. The moon is very much a macroscopic object. The position of each of the individual electrons in the moon might not be exactly known, but we don't need to know that--we just need to see the whole moon. In simple situations, the uncertainty in an electron's position might be a few angstroms. So there might be uncertainty of the position of the moon down to angstrom accuracy, but not at the scale that we can measure even with the best telescopes.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-08-2006 at 06:07 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I recall a joke once (I think it was from User Friendly) that stated the only valid use of the oft-abused HTML blink tag is:

Schrodinger's Cat is <blink>NOT</blink> alive.

And this will be my only contribution to the topic.

07-08-2006 at 11:05 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308

File: nearlyambiguousavatar.png (386 bytes)
Downloaded 105 times.
License: Public Domain
icon It's pinin' for the fjords (+1)  
Who wants to wear this little picture?

I think most of you have seen the trick elsewhere in the forums...
07-08-2006 at 11:35 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Flow?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com