Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "The DAA Specifies" (A potential room-building game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon "The DAA Specifies" (+2)  
I've had an idea for something sort of forum game-ish thing that could also result in an interesting multi-user hold.

The idea is pretty simple. The game is run as a chain of players.

Player A states a Specification for a room, something which is not too hard to make happen in principle, and which it's easy to tell whether or not a room satisfies (like "The DAA Specifies you must use exactly 6 roaches and no other monsters", or "The DAA Specifies that in your room, the delver must have access to an unlimited supply of soldier horns at all times", for example). Then Person B takes up the challenge and tries to build a good room up to specification. Person B in turn states a rule that Person C must uphold, and it continues forward. It's a little like building a room based on the interaction generator thingy but a human can come up with higher-level specifications than just "use/don't use this interaction", and also possibly ones that are more likely to lead to unique or interesting rooms.

I'm curious if anyone would be interested in playing?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-20-2016 05:40 AM]
11-20-2016 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: "The DAA Specifies" (0)  
Sure, I'm game.

11-20-2016 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
That sounds interesting enough I'd like to try for a bit too.
11-20-2016 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Sounds like good times, I'd contribute to this.

11-20-2016 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Yeah this looks fun, I'd like to participate too.

11-20-2016 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: "The DAA Specifies" (+1)  
Sounds good.

One thing that I've noticed about this forum, however, is that a lot of people are really active. What this means is that we'd probably need some way to prevent two people from working on the same room at the same time.

I guess you intend to have Player A accept the challenge and issue another one before necessarily building the room?

Maybe that's what you intended from the start, but I thought I'd request clarification on this part.

11-20-2016 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
That's probably a good idea, mauve, rather than each person having to wait on the previous person to finish building before getting a challenge to build stuff themselves. It's even OK if somebody sees a challenge and says "not for me" or accepts but then just can't get a room together for any reason, we could more or less just let somebody fill in doing that challenge if they want or leave it alone otherwise. This "skipping" could be abused for somebody to intentionally issue a challenge without ever intending to build a room, but I think that would (1) be fairly obvious and (2) why would somebody want to do that in the first place?

For final compilation purposes, we might ask that persons A - F use a particular hold style so their rooms can be on one level, G - L use another particular style so their rooms are on the second level, so on, and worry about room connections later. Also each room should probably have a scroll saying who built it since one of the last steps will be copy-pasting all the rooms into one hold.

So, should a thread be put in Forum Games or in Architecture to maybe start this thing up?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-20-2016 03:32 PM]
11-20-2016 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Xindaris wrote:
use a particular hold style so their rooms can be on one level

Actually, rooms in a level can have different room styles. It might make things look jarring though, so I guess it's up to the architect to decide about this.
11-20-2016 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'm aware they can have different styles, I was suggesting we ask people to use the same style so things look "more consistent".

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-20-2016 03:33 PM]
11-20-2016 at 03:33 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
I agree that we should use 1 room style for level and that we should do this in the architecture board. Once we have enough architects (it's up to you deciding the number) we can start, each architect could be identified by a letter so we can all work in different rooms. For example, architect A tells architect B to build 1N using certain things; at the same time architect B tells architect C to build 1E and so on, or something like this.

11-20-2016 at 04:05 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I can do a room or two.

I'm thinking the real challenge will be to not let these rooms devolve into ridiculously complicated slogfests. You know what they say about too many cooks...

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-20-2016 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Okay, well this is more than enough interest as far as I'm concerned. I've put up a thread.

The rules are intended to make things go smoothly and not have the first person wait absolutely forever to get to build a room; if you have objections or suggestions for changes to them feel free to mention that in the architecture thread.

11-20-2016 at 07:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : "The DAA Specifies" (A potential room-building game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com