Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "The DAA Specifies" (A room-building game.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: The DAA.player (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
icon "The DAA Specifies" (0)  
"The DAA Specifies..."
(A room-building game)

The process of play:

Everyone please use the "The DAA" player file attached to this post to build your room. It's not a disaster if you don't, but if you do it will prevent people's games from being cluttered with holds like "A's Copy of B's Copy of C's Copy of D's Level 1"

There can be as many levels as there need to be, populated in order from 1 to whichever. The level styles, determined by RANDOM.ORG, are in the following secret:

Click here to view the secret text

If you don't have a particular style, the custom ones are here or can be downloaded through caravelnet. If you don't have it and it's not there, don't worry too much, somebody else will just fix it later.

For EACH Level there are 6 builders, builders A through F (i.e., Level 1 has builders 1A through 1F). Each person can only have at most one room in any given level, but you are allowed to participate in multiple levels if you feel up to it.

-Builder A is a volunteer who is willing to take on any challenge somebody else gives, as well as a bit of extra work at the end. To begin with builder A just creates the level in the correct style with an empty The Entrance room including two sets of stairs: freely-available stairs that will go back to the hub, and Victory Stairs behind a blue door. There should also be at least one exit to the room. Builder A posts this blank room in a "Level 1" hold along with a challenge for the next Builder.

-Builders B-E each choose to take on the previous builder's challenge. I'll express this in terms of A and B for clarity: Builder B will download A's "empty" hold and put a new room at one of the available exit(s) to The Entrance, and add at least one exit to the new room if The Entrance doesn't have but one exit available. Builder B then posts this blank room at the same time as saying they have accepted Builder A's challenge, and in the same post present a challenge for Builder C. Once that "empty" stuff is posted Builder B can get to work on actually populating the room with a puzzle. The hold with that puzzle in it is posted in a separate post whenever B is fully happy with the room. Do not worry about "updating" your hold to fit new frames once you're working on the puzzle. As long as your room exits are OK this shouldn't be a thing you need to worry about. The point of doing it this way is that all the Builders of a given Level can be working on their puzzles at the same time, instead of having to wait for somebody else's room to be done first.

-A always claims The Entrance, and each other Builder claims the room they add when they sign up to be that builder. (Claims as in says "My room will be in 1E" or such.) The room you claim is precisely the one you add to the new frame you upload.

-Builder F takes on E's challenge in the same way, but does not add any new exits, and posts a challenge specifically for Builder A. Try to be kind because Builder A is already taking on some extra work; if Builder A just can't do it they're allowed to ask you for a different or easier one.

-It would be wise to make a demo for your own use, so you remember what your room's solution is. Also remember to put your name in a scroll in your room so everybody knows who built it. It would probably be cool to format the scrolls like this:

-If at any time somebody who took on a challenge realizes they can't do it anymore for any reason, they declare they're dropping out and somebody can either fill in their frame by downloading their "blank" version and take on the same challenge, or that room can just ultimately be dropped if nobody ever volunteers to fill it in.

-Once ALL of the puzzles for a given level are made, Builder A goes through a process of copying and pasting rooms into F's frame so that everyone's puzzles are now in the same Level. A also deals with "loose ends" by either adding puzzle-less non-required pass-through rooms, or closing them off if that won't break a puzzle that expects the player to be able to enter from a given direction.

-In general, the puzzles should be built in a way that does not obstruct the player from traversing the entire level without solving any of them.

-Once all of the levels are built, we might look to someone who knows what they're doing to make either a hub or a world map for the levels, maybe try and have the builders of each level think of a good name and/or description for it, etc. This is a bridge to be crossed later.

Finally, I will be Builder 1A, to kick this off. Keep an eye out for my next post in which I'll do the things Builder 1A is supposed to do.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-23-2016 01:43 AM]
11-20-2016 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (907 bytes)
Downloaded 49 times.
icon Re: "The DAA Specifies" (0)  
Builder 1A here.

The DAA Specifies that in Builder 1B's room the delver must protect a disarmed timeclone who thinks he has a weapon.

11-20-2016 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1 - 1B empty.hold (985 bytes)
Downloaded 48 times.
I'm Builder 1B.

The DAA Specifies that in Builder 1C's room the delver must survive a 4-row wide chainless gentryii horde without using the alcove.
11-20-2016 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (985 bytes)
Downloaded 50 times.
Builder 1C reporting!

The DAA specifies that in Builder 1D's room the delver must manipulate the persistent pathing of citizens by blocking off, opening up, or destroying relay stations.

Since this is the first time I've used a custom room style, I'm going to mention here that you can download all the styles we will be using in this project from the manage styles screen in the level editor. You don't need to manually install anything. It ended up being a lot easier than I was expecting.

Some of these styles look pretty cool, so I'm excited to be working with them. Great idea to include custom styles!

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 11-21-2016 09:07 AM]
11-21-2016 at 09:07 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
I'll be builder 1D.

The DAA specifies that in Builder 1E's room the delver must use a number of n decoys to prevent m monsters to press some pressure plates, where n<m.

11-21-2016 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
I'll be builder 1E.

The DAA specifies that in Builder 1F's room the delver must figure out whether to kill an evil eye first or a tar baby first.

11-22-2016 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1 - 1E Completed.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Here's room 1E completed. The delver must use 2 decoys to prevent 7 roaches from pressing plates, which would seal off a "last monster" if pressed.

11-22-2016 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Nuntar, please post the updated frame with your room's position so I can have something to work off of. I can't tell whether you forgot or I worded the instructions poorly for builder F, I'll change it if it's the latter.

RE: Custom styles-I didn't so much intentionally include them as I had downloaded them quite a while back and I was determining the styles for each level of this by asking random.org for a number from 1 to 19 and choosing the style in that position in my DROD install.

Since 1A-1F have been filled, we must await somebody willing to be 2A, remembering that that can be any of the 1-builders if they want it to be.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-22-2016 03:28 AM]
11-22-2016 at 03:26 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
My challenge: The DAA specifies that in Builder 1A's room, it must be difficult to keep a Construct alive until you need him.

Here's Level 1 including all six rooms. I also filled in the room edges on 1W that don't have an adjacent rooms.

Delvers should note that the given "The DAA" profile uses non-standard keybindings. You might want to change the keybindings to whatever you're used to before attempting to record demos.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-22-2016 05:09 AM]
11-22-2016 at 05:04 AM
Xindaris
Thank you. Sorry about the controls, I just told DROD to make a new player profile and apparently it populated it with mine instead of the default for some reason?

11-22-2016 at 05:26 AM
mauvebutterfly

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Okay, apparently I managed to screw this up. I checked Chaco's level, and he built in the spot I thought I was building in, but when I downloaded my own file again, it showed as blank. I think I forgot to export before uploading.

On a side note, Chaco's room is pretty tricky. Very satisfying to solve, but it took me a while. I didn't find any obvious ways to break the puzzle.

Nuntar hasn't specified with a scroll which room the 1F puzzle will be in, so I didn't want to claim either of the two empty rooms. Instead, I chose another exit from 1B's room and added that exit back in where it originally was. I then added a filler room leading to my new room location, so that my puzzle would fit with the entrance I originally built it around. I haven't included my puzzle yet since I'm still working out a few details, but it's mostly finished.

My requirement to not use an alcove took me a while to figure out, but I found a way to do it. I am wondering if this hold will include challenges though, since it would be trivial to tweak my puzzle to make using the alcove not result in a loss condition, and using it would then make the puzzle significantly easier.

Xindaris, I don't know which room Nuntar wants, but 2W is definitely clear if you don't want to build in the entrance. It looks like this level will have a filler room somewhere.

11-22-2016 at 12:24 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (2.5 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Since the final frame supplied by Nuntar already contained Chaco's room, I've just left it in the attached file. My room is finished, barring possibly making not using an alcove into a challenge instead of a required part of the room.

Room 1C is finished: the delver must traverse a gauntlet in order to retrieve a dagger. Grabbing the dagger unleashes a gentryii horde, forcing the delver to run back through the gauntlet while avoiding gentryii.

There are also alcoves that gentryii can get trapped in, but which cause a gate to shut if anything enters them.

11-22-2016 at 02:10 PM
Red-XIII
I completed my room but I'm not sure where to attach it, I downloaded Nuntar's version and added my room, so in the hold I'm posting there are 2 puzzles, mine and Chaco's (by the way, nice room!).
Maybe to prevent confusion for the next level you could already build 6 empty rooms and put scrolls saying that 1N belongs to builder 2A, 1E to builder 2B and so on, so that there is no mistake where to build.

11-22-2016 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I intended for the shape of the levels to be "organically" determined by the builders. Let's say from now on that A always claims The Entrance, and each other Builder claims the room they add when they sign up to be that builder. (Claims as in says "My room will be in 1E" or such.)

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-23-2016 01:41 AM]
11-23-2016 at 01:40 AM
Red-XIII

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
No Nuntar, that's not intended. I uploaded a new version, now it should be fixed.

11-23-2016 at 09:14 AM
mauvebutterfly

File: DAA Room 1D - Victory.demo (970 bytes)
Downloaded 50 times.
I didn't even know that citizens worked that way.

I've solved the fixed version of the room. I'm not sure what the point of the pressure plate you added at (17,14) is though. I didn't need to use it.

11-23-2016 at 10:03 AM
Red-XIII
mauvebutterfly wrote:
I didn't even know that citizens worked that way.

I've solved the fixed version of the room. I'm not sure what the point of the pressure plate you added at (17,14) is though. I didn't need to use it.

I added that plate to prevent Nuntar's solution, though you still did something unintended for the first part (you basically mirrored Nuntar's solution for the first part). The second part is intended, blocking the citizien on the force arrow. I'll try to fix the first part later.

11-23-2016 at 10:44 AM
uncopy2002

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Added my room to the pile.

Simple idea, but should still be quite tough in execution.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 11-25-2016 09:59 AM]
11-25-2016 at 09:53 AM
uncopy2002

File: TDSL1 Level 1 1E Victory.demo (11.3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Alternate method of doing the second part of Room 1D.
11-25-2016 at 10:23 AM
mauvebutterfly
Okay, I'll rework the way my room fits into the level then.

Nuntar, did you want room 1N or 1N1E? I'll take the other one, and make my room work from there.

edit: Also, does your room require that 1N and 1N1E have a path between them, or is just the South entrance fine?

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 11-25-2016 02:47 PM]
11-25-2016 at 02:38 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
I'll take 1N1E, and no, it's not necessary to keep the connection to 1N.

11-25-2016 at 03:33 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: The DAA Specifies - Level 1.hold (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Awesome. Thanks.

I have uploaded an updated version of Level 1 with all 4 rooms that have been completed so far. This fixes the issue caused by me not exporting properly the first time.

I also made two minor changes to my room: I put the scroll somewhere more accessible, and I added an alcove to the gel section because it bothered me that it didn't have one when the other two sections did. Adding the alcove didn't change my solution at all, but I did make a new demo anyway just to make sure I didn't unknowingly break anything.

11-25-2016 at 04:09 PM
Red-XIII

Downloaded 44 times.
Here's mauvebutterfly's version with my room fixed.

11-26-2016 at 01:00 PM
uncopy2002

Downloaded 46 times.
Doom mentioned to me in chat my room was broken, so here's a hotfix using the hold Red-XIII just attached.

Specifically, added kegs on the two briar plates so you can't place the mimic there.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 11-26-2016 01:57 PM]
11-26-2016 at 01:52 PM
Xindaris
Requesting any progress reports anyone's willing to give on Level 1, as well as reminding anyone who hasn't joined up yet a Builder 2A is theoretically needed.
(I should probably make a chart)

My room's puzzle is in place to have everything else incorporated with it; it's a construct-on-hot-tiles maze with a timeclone and some shallow water. Nothing too extreme.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-15-2016 06:32 PM]
12-15-2016 at 06:20 PM
Red-XIII

File: TDSL1 Level 1 1W Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
I think uncopy2002 room has still another US, demo attached. The other rooms seem fine to me.

12-16-2016 at 10:35 AM
uncopy2002

Downloaded 48 times.
Oh, that's easy to fix; added a W force arrow on 36,9.

Here's the fixed version.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 12-16-2016 12:04 PM]
12-16-2016 at 12:03 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
I hereby take on the role of builder 2A.
I'll upload the Entrance as soon as level one is done.

Builder 2B must have the delver avoiding aumlich gazes while on hot tiles.

[Last edited by IQubic at 12-19-2016 04:22 PM]
12-19-2016 at 04:12 PM
Red-XIII
I'll be builder 2B.

Builder 2C must have the delver prevent an adder from eating a construct corpse using the construct reviving skill.

12-19-2016 at 05:37 PM
Xindaris
There's no particular reason to wait for level 1 to be done since level 2 should be a "different hold" at first anyway and the top post says what style to use. Unless you just want to wait.

12-19-2016 at 05:41 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "The DAA Specifies" (A room-building game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com