Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (Looking for a child-friendly hold.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (0)  
I've been trying to goad my 15-year-old brother into playing DROD. He's no idiot, but certainly a novice in regards to the game. I'm sure he'd love to participate if you'd like some of that demographic.

06-21-2006 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I have a sister who is 8 who likes DROD. Since I am only 11, I could try it also... ;)

06-21-2006 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Can i try it? I am only 15, and I have a 9-year old sister who's learning to play.

06-21-2006 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (+1)  
I'd love to test, but I'm 16 and an irregular poster so I doubt that'll happen (although I'm certainly able to *half-hearted hint*). Anyway, I'll just give my 20 grubbles:

I played the first 3 levels of KDD when I was 7-ish. I absolutely loved them, especially the eccentric scrolls, the music, and the pretty colors (although death screams startled me). I wasn't too fond of efficiency, and I hated being told 'you could have done better' (that scroll saying the alcove was unnecessary against 4 rows of roaches).
Mimics were just too much multitasking, especially in Level 4. Evil eyes were alright once I figured out their properties. Wraithwings were annoying because of their unpredictability (would they kill me or not?) Serpents scared me because I couldn't kill them and they were unpredictable. Tar I hated; it made me quit.

I wouldn't make fun of Halph too much, as kids might relate to him.
I wouldn't try to downplay the violence in DROD. The title is inescapable anyway, and most children actually have a bloodthirsty streak anyway (What? Read the original Peter Pan.) That doesn't mean Beethro should be an immoral thug.

Edit: Er, I didn't see that it was almost done. Oh well, I'm sure Jacob knows what he's doing.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-21-2006 10:32 PM]
06-21-2006 at 10:08 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
My daughter just turned 5. She loves playing... however, I have to almost always help her. She gets through parts her self and it takes her a long time. Also... she doesn't like moving forward unless Beethro is. She takes the time to be sure that he is pointing in the direction she wants him to go.

It is pretty fun for her. Ususally I try to create a simple room or two for her. I have never really been good at it though.
06-21-2006 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'm unable to add a some people for beta-testing, I think just Larrymurk and Bradwall, as they've not made themselves available for beta-testing.

06-22-2006 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
I'd love to test some holds, as I'm only 12! But I can only do this if I don't need CaravelNet.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-22-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
If you want me to TRY to get my daughter to test it just tell me. She's pretty much given up on DROD and moved on to useless games. Oh, the sadness.
06-22-2006 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
larrymurk wrote:
If you want me to TRY to get my daughter to test it just tell me. She's pretty much given up on DROD and moved on to useless games. Oh, the sadness.
Oh, the humanity.
And I mean that in ways both serious and not.

06-22-2006 at 08:46 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Jacob wrote:
I'm unable to add a some people for beta-testing, I think just Larrymurk and Bradwall, as they've not made themselves available for beta-testing.

You also seem to have missed me, perhaps because I posted right at the end of the last thread page... that, or you bear me some secret grudge. Or both. Or something else I didn't quite get (I am made myself available for beta-testing ).
06-22-2006 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
I don't have CaravelNet but I would like to beta-test it!

06-22-2006 at 11:54 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Erm, I can't seem to be able to test it. Am i allowed to or not?

06-22-2006 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Jason wrote:
I don't have CaravelNet but I would like to beta-test it!
Since the hold is intended for a Smitemaster's Selection, it won't be available to test by non-CaravelNet members.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-22-2006 at 12:37 PM
Jason
Oh. :(

06-22-2006 at 12:41 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
Jacob wrote:

Can't figure out how to do that. I can't find that in my profile anywhere.
06-22-2006 at 02:56 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (+1)  
bradwall wrote:
Jacob wrote:

Can't figure out how to do that. I can't find that in my profile anywhere.
Profile -> CaravelNet tab -> "Make me available for beta testing holds" ?
06-22-2006 at 02:58 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection. (Looking for a child-friendly hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com