Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The 132nd Archivist (Includes New JtRH floor style)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
IP: Logged

File: Pyramidstyle.zip (372.6 KB)
Downloaded 94 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The 132nd Archivist (+16)  
What is the 132nd Archivist?
The 132nd Archivist is an attempt to archive all things related to the Eighth. While I won't be archiving official cannon, as that is done on the original DROD site, DROD.net, what I will be archiving is useful DROD downloads, information, and mods. The original DROD forums can be a hassle to search through, especially if you are looking for new improvements in the Development Board.

The 132nd Archivist

So you are attempting to make the DROD.net forums obselete? Blasphemy!
Absolutely not! As you can see, I don't have a forum here on this website, as the original DROD.net forum does the job rather well. The only thing I'll ever have here is a guestbook for users to show their appreciation.

If you're the 132nd Archivist, then who is the 23rd Architect and the 67th Artist?
Ah well, they are all indeed the same person. In addition to archiving downloads, mods, and news from the original DROD site, I have plans to release a few of my own Floor Styles for DROD here on this website. The first one I've got in development is called Pyramid and is an Egyptian themed floor style.

Conspiracy!
Perhaps.

Architect eh? So where's your holds?
I haven't created any yet. To tell you the truth, I've always wanted to create one for DROD, but I've been a bit intimidated by the excellent holds that have already been created. Maybe one day I'll get around to it, but until then, I'll content myself with archiving and artisting.

To celebrate the opening of the site, I decided to try my hand at creating a new floor style for DROD. It's attached to this post. If you'd like to view it before you download, you can check out the new site.
11-10-2005 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The 132nd Archivist (0)  
Fansite yaaaaaaaaay!

11-10-2005 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
This fan site is very professionaly done.

Everyone should check it out!
11-10-2005 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Awesome site! (And I've got lots of mod points. Yay!)

About my Trompe le Monde style, I never had any problems with missing graphics. There must be something wrong with your file.
But then, I don't really care about it. Graphics aren't my main area and I never use AE to do anything anyway.
11-10-2005 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Beatifully done! I like it a lot!

-- Tim

Although the site didn't quite fit on my browser window... And my screen on this computer is 800x600... (Fortunately, I don't play JtRH on this computer :))

11-10-2005 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
From the site:
The only rant I have about the way files are done is that it doesn't allow you to just edit the walls, floors, and pits. The rocks, plants, and statues are also included in that group, and as I'm not such a great graphics artist, well... lets just say that parts not very pretty.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that you can edit only part of the tiles. See Sanctum 2 for example. Vyvycyn hasn't replaced the obstacles.

Search the development forum for info on how to do that. You want to mess with the *.tim files.

[Last edited by Doom at 11-10-2005 03:57 PM : quote tag fixing]
11-10-2005 at 03:57 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
All of the JtRH order links go to the DROD:KDD order page (buyKDD.html), not DROD:JtRH (buyJtRH.html). Might want to fix that .. (also, why no Linux ordering links ? buyJtRHLinux.html, buyKDDLinux.html :))

Anyway, nice site. I added a link to it on DROD's Wikipedia page.

- Gerry
11-10-2005 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Saqqara wrote:
What is the 132nd Archivist?
The 132nd Archivist is an attempt to archive all things related to the Eighth. While I won't be archiving official cannon, as that is done on the original DROD site, DROD.net, what I will be archiving is useful DROD downloads, information, and mods. The original DROD forums can be a hassle to search through, especially if you are looking for new improvements in the Development Board.
That sounds like a good idea. I've been considering collating mod information and other JtRH downloads that have been popping up in various places, but if you can do it, that would be cool.

However, archiving general information regarding the Eighth might not be such a good idea, since I am doing that at present, and your work might end up redundant (or we may argue a bit). It, however, might be better to incorporate your site into DROD.net. It's not that I don't think a fansite would be cool, but if it contains a source of information about the Forum that users will potentially tap into, a secondary site may not allow enough less active users to find it (I guess it would also get confusing to have to leave the DROD site to find some semi-official information). It might therefore be better for you to have your own section on the website in which you can store your archives, although we'll need to see what Patrick thinks about it.

In any case, it's very cool, (and it is yet another poke for me to work on DROD.net III).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-10-2005 08:46 PM]
11-10-2005 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486

File: Style1Tiles.png (154.1 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
icon Re: The 132nd Archivist (+3)  
I made a few quick changes to your Style1Tiles file, so that the secret and broken walls look right, and added a quickly made pyramid obstacle.

-vylycyn

11-10-2005 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Cooooool site!

btw, the link to drod.net in http://ancient-empires.net/drod/about.html doesn't work.

Also, on the same page, the lateral bar doesn't work (to me).

[Last edited by Bombadil at 11-10-2005 10:01 PM]
11-10-2005 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Really good site !

I don't like the date though : "11/07/05"

To me (and others) that means "11th July"

Do your visitors have to try and work out if you're American or not to decide what that date means ?

Use a politically neutral format, please!

11-11-2005 at 01:09 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: The 132nd Archivist (+1)  
Oh dear. I've created a monster! .. 'sgot a point, though ;)

Btw, I just noticed that the scrollbars are invisible in Opera, due to the colors you chose.

- Gerry
11-11-2005 at 01:27 AM
jamie
Indeed.. It's all your fault :P

11-11-2005 at 02:49 AM
Saqqara

File: Pyramidstyle.zip (383.1 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
icon Re: The 132nd Archivist (+2)  
All of the JtRH order links go to the DROD:KDD order page (buyKDD.html), not DROD:JtRH (buyJtRH.html). Might want to fix that .. (also, why no Linux ordering links ? buyJtRHLinux.html, buyKDDLinux.html )

Thanks for pointing this out trick. I've now fixed it where the Linux download links are on the pages alongside the Windows links.

I made a few quick changes to your Style1Tiles file, so that the secret and broken walls look right, and added a quickly made pyramid obstacle.

Thanks, vylycyn! The pyramid looks really great. I've changed the file on my site to reflect the changes, as well as the one in this post. Also, I've added your name to the author list. If you'd like to do more, I wouldn't object. :P

btw, the link to drod.net in http://ancient-empires.net/drod/about.html doesn't work.

Thanks Bombadil, I've fixed it.

I don't like the date though : "11/07/05"

Alrighty jamie, I fixed that as well, the date should now be clear and politically correct. :P
11-11-2005 at 04:18 AM
jamie
Saqqara wrote:
Alrighty jamie, I fixed that as well, the date should now be clear and politically correct. :P

Ok, so... this "9:57 CST" business......

(JOKE! :lol)

11-11-2005 at 07:10 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
jamie wrote:
Indeed.. It's all your fault :P

I told Indeed, and she has no idea what you're talking about. She wasn't even here!

11-11-2005 at 10:26 AM
jamie
Indeed, she *would* say that though.

11-13-2005 at 12:47 AM
Saqqara
icon Re: The 132nd Archivist (+3)  
I've updated the site to include leroy's new visual style, Toscana. The Clocks page will be following shortly.
01-17-2006 at 02:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yay! :)

Uhm... just one question. Which room did you use for the "skin preview" pictures?

01-17-2006 at 08:37 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
It's room in level 1 of King Dugan's Dungeon. Let me go check it's co-ordinants.

EDIT: It's Six north Two west.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 01-17-2006 09:39 PM]
01-17-2006 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I realised that a few minutes after making that post. I just didn't want to look stupid. Too late.

01-17-2006 at 09:59 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Saqqara wrote:
I've updated the site to include leroy's new visual style, Toscana. The Clocks page will be following shortly.

Hmm, at the risk of looking like a glory monger, looking on the JtRH mods page, I didn't see it. Maybe you've got an old version of the page up. Also, since this page explicitly links to an order page for the linux version, you might want to update it with a link to the mac version as well.

All in all, it's a nice site and visually very appealling. Good job on the design.

-leroy

01-18-2006 at 12:08 PM
Doom
I can see, and download Toscana. Maybe you're loading an old version of the page yourself, leroy00.
01-18-2006 at 12:31 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Doom wrote:
I can see, and download Toscana. Maybe you're loading an old version of the page yourself, leroy00.
Oh, sorry, how embarassing. I didn't realise the page was cached on this computer. Thanks.

-leroy

01-18-2006 at 12:48 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Saqqara, mind if I link to your site on the "Sending you Away" page?

01-19-2006 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Saqqara
Not at all! It would make the site more accessible for its targetted audience.
01-19-2006 at 04:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The 132nd Archivist (Includes New JtRH floor style)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com