Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Perfection (Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.2/10 (80 votes)
σ 1.37
Author Name:Larry Murk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Perfection
Theme:Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:11
Number of Rooms:77
Number of Monsters:854
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:27 (+27 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged
icon Perfection  
I recommend a couple things for all DROD players-

1. While the spawn clock is very pretty, I find a digital clock with a serpent counter far more useful. Look up DIGITAL on the DROD forum WWW.DROD.NET).

2. Transparent tar/mud allows you to see what is underneath tar/mud. Look up TRANSPARENT on the DROD forum.

About Perfection-

I designed many rooms to require precise timing or technique. While many of the rooms are quite challenging, I hope the player can solve them with some thought and persistence. The player will get the most reward by taking the time to solve each puzzle on their own; however, this hold is fairly difficult so you might need some help. At times characters in the game will offer hints. When all else fails, post your questions on the HINTS AND SOLUTIONS board on the DROD forum. Remember, the point is to have fun.

Credit goes to-

Stefan: If you know DROD, you know Stefan. He is an amazing player, architect, and thorough tester. He will not just solve a room, he will tell you exactly how many ways the room can be solved. As I kept making edits Stefan played through the entire hold at least three times making sure everything worked.

Henri(Doom): Henri was also instrumental in the testing. Henri commented on every room and along with Neil came up with a brilliant design (that ended up not being used in this hold).

Matt(Schik): Matt was also one of the original testers. More importantly, Matt works his monkey magic on improving the site. The private testing board system he implemented is a boon for anyone creating holds.

Mike(mrimer): Mike was in charge of doing all the scripting and final edits. Mike didn't just start making changes, he first played through the entire hold. Thus, Mike was able to make changes that were consistant with the hold design.

Erik(ErikH2000): Regarding this hold, Erik was the story man. He came up with the Perfectionists' Complex blocking Beethro's journey along with the other story elements. Of course Erik is better known as the creator and King of DROD. This man's vision has created a superb game along with a vibrant community. We can only hope that he and the lovely Queen Brittany never lose their passion for all things DROD.

Neil(Oneiromancer): This one i'd romantic guy helped with any issues that arose.

Adam(AlefBet): OK, I'm not exactly sure what Adam does, but I can say that I appreciated (and agreed with) the comments he posted.

Allison: I told my 8 year old daughter she would be included in the credits for helping me decorate the hold so here she is. She prefers designing clothing, but she is young yet.

Larry(larrymurk): That's me. I'm the architect. I'm a 40 year old divorced guy with one lovely daughter. I was among the first class to graduate from Stanford University with a BS in computer science. I love writing games (I've even sold a couple for not much), playing computer games, and bridge. An accident 5 years ago left me paralyzed(quadriplegic), yet amazingly I can still use a computer fairly well. As Neil would say, "Game on."

Further credit-

Following are rooms from other holds that I reworked. I recommend all of the following holds.

Level 1: 2S > Smallsome Swicks (Level 1:2S1E) by ErikH2000
Level 8: 1N > Simon's Dungeon (Level 3: 4W) by Doom
Level 8: 1S1W > City of Queens (Level 1: 2E) by Tim
Level 8: 1S1E > Claythro Tower (Level 3: 1S1E) by ClaytonW
The Perfectionist Observatory: 1E > The Steps (Level 1: 2N5W) by urban

Voice acting-

Beethro: Sten
Jobus: dmurk
Complex Receptionist: me
Perfectionist #1: DiMono
Perfectionist #2: DiMono
Perfectionist #3: dmurk
Perfectionist #4: Oneiromancer
Crazy Voice #1: mrimer
Crazy Voice #2: DiMono
I Saw Isosceles: ErikH2000 & mrimer

CD Cover Art by ErikH2000
11-07-2005 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Perfection (+1)  
Woo! The SS is here!

Here's a direct link to Larry's combo clock so you don't have to go hunting around for it.

I'm excited to play this one through!

11-07-2005 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: notperfect.JPG (22.3 KB)
Downloaded 2378 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Perfection (+3)  

L3:2S
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-07-2005 08:05 AM]
11-07-2005 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Perfection (0)  
Schik changed the "submitted by" to Larry, so that Larry can get the karma points and see the hold in his list instead of me. It's only fair.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Perfection (+2)  
Great hold... one of the best I've played.

Every room in this hold requires you to think and most require you to think hard. And then cry and then think some more. This is a very tough hold. Possibly on par with Bavato's, and certainly harder than any of the other holds mentioned in this thread.

I'd have to say that my favorite was L9 1N or possibly L9 2S. But those rooms only beat out the others by a hair. There are some queen manipulation rooms that use tricks I've never seen before.

Great work on the I Saw Isosceles number. That had me rolling with laughter.

You mentioned some of the holds that influenced you (and they're all great holds too), but this hold goes well beyond what was done before.

[Last edited by stigant at 11-13-2005 07:50 PM]
11-13-2005 at 07:43 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Perfection (+11)  
Erik gets full credit for writing "I Saw Isosceles".

Erik(ErikH2000) and Mike(mrimer) were the vocalists.
11-13-2005 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Phew... I finally did it.

And I've got to say - that was something quite different... :thumbsup :D

(Yeah, so I didn't play every room umpteen times so I could get into the hi-score list, but being the 11th to beat it is nice, too... :))

Click here to view the secret text

np: Solvent - Science With Synthesizers (Apples & Synthesizers)

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-17-2005 10:23 PM]
11-17-2005 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I BEAT IT, AND MASTERED IT!!! Great hold I must say. The puzzles were well made.
I kept making narrow escapes and finding myself saying "perfect", which is the effect you probably wanted this hold to have on people. Here are some things I would like to say.

Maybe it is just my improvement in the ways of perfect technique, but for some reason Perfect 9 was one of the easiest levels for me.

The puzzle that I would consider to be the most perfect would be Perfect 3: 1S,1E. I absolutely loved that puzzle.

"I saw Isosceles" was great.

And lastly, I thought the ending was great and showed the true form of perfection.

11-21-2005 at 01:50 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
:toohard :toohard :toohard
My brain hurts...
:toohard :toohard :toohard

11-21-2005 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I am SO impressed! Any mortal designing a hold around the theme perfection would probably fail, but this hold really IS perfect. I guess that makes Larry some kind of god. Spooky :)

I love the way you have to think in every single room, and beating the hold gives you quite an ego trip. It makes you feel smart. The story, the voices and the layout was also superb. Good job!
11-22-2005 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RavenBlack
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
I don't seem to be able to download the Perfection hold - in 'P' the only holds on offer for me are "Pelcho's Puzzles", "Penthouse", "Phil's Dungeon" and "Pitiful". I also don't see it in http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php which I think offers me the same holds as the in-game "change location" list. (Certainly the same four for beginning with P.)

Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

[Last edited by RavenBlack at 11-13-2006 03:28 AM]
12-17-2005 at 05:32 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The only requirement for Perfection is to be a subscriber to CaravelNet...and since you appear to have high scores (and can download holds in-game), you seem to be a subscriber. You can only download it in-game (unless you want to buy the CD), so it definitely should be in the list in-game. I really don't know why it wouldn't be there for you. Perhaps Schik or mrimer would have an idea.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-17-2005 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
The Smitemaster's Selection holds (like Perfection) are only available to full CaravelNet subscribers - they don't come with the free trial version of CaravelNet that comes with a purchase of JtRH.

12-17-2005 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RavenBlack
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Schik wrote:
The Smitemaster's Selection holds (like Perfection) are only available to full CaravelNet subscribers - they don't come with the free trial version of CaravelNet that comes with a purchase of JtRH.

Aha, thanks. Would be good to make it clear somewhere that the free trial isn't *just* time-limited. Probably the ideal way would be to show things in lists as if they are available, and then explain in a "you can't have that because..." message. That way it functions as a kind of advertisement as well fixing the looking like something went wrong.
12-18-2005 at 02:27 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Aw... and I was really hoping I could get JtRH and even just be happy with the little bit of CaravelNet so I could get the super-duper SS holds. :weep

12-18-2005 at 02:40 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
:D I am the 100th viewer of this thread :shock: :w00t

-Insane
12-24-2005 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
icon Re: Perfection (+5)  
Insane wrote:
:D I am the 100th viewer of this thread :shock: :w00t

-Insane

1,000th maybe?

:band
12-24-2005 at 07:37 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Finally!!!! :w00t :hooray :yay :jumpy :8bounce
conquered and mastered it.
I was stuck on L7 1N for a while, (I got the demo, but I still messed up).
Then I stopped playing for a while , because it was to difficult for me. :blush
Nut then I wrote the demo, move by move on (I think) 3 pages of paper, and finally got to Level 8.
But that was difficult to (offcourse).
So I tried, but stopped playing again (almost gave up :~( :blush )
But yesterday, I took al my strenght an started again,
I finished level 8, and today finished the rest.
(I still had to do all the secret levels, beginning with the pentagon, hexagon, etc.)

(getting to my conclusion)
This was (for me):
the most difficult
the most challenging
the most "this-is-a-SS-so-I-have-to-master-it-hold"
the most Perfect hold

I know I almost gave up, but I actually enjoyed most of it. (90%)

(I'm so proud and happy I finally mastered it, that I could write a whole page, I gues)
So, :shutup :thumbsup :P

02-14-2006 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
I must say that this is one of the very best holds I've ever played. I love the theme, I love the rooms (the one I've beaten, I absolutely hate the ones I can't figure out ;)), and especially the beauty of the solutions. You took it to a whole other level here; this is truly art.

I'm not exactly the guy in the Top 10 of high-scores, but all rooms in the hold sharpens efficiency and makes the player better at DROD.

04-24-2006 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I wish to sign my name on the list of people who have mastered this work of art! Amazing, simply amazing! This hold not only sharpens your existing skills, it teaches you new tricks. (Even if you're an old dog.) The most amazing thing is that as I was playing it, even my Architecture skills improved! Now when I create a room, my standards are higher than they ever were before!

Man, look up to this hold so much, I might just go off and join the Perfectionists! :lol
06-06-2006 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Okay, now you've gone and made me jealous... :doh

06-06-2006 at 04:05 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
How?
06-06-2006 at 04:49 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well, I have commmented on every other SmS thus far, so why stop now?

Perfection started off as a difficult hold with tricky rooms, and then steadily got harder, but in good DROD tradition, peaked in difficulty at about 8, and a bit into 9, and then became a bit easier. I definatly enjoyed the 'Perfectionist cult', with its very quirky style. Hopefully we will see more of them in the future.

There were, however, some things I wouldn't like to see again. The thing that tops this list is lack of checkpoints. I relise that its a cheap way to make things more difficult, but on some levels, especially the last to levels where there was some emphasis on forsight(for example the Tar room on level 8, and 1W in the perfectionist obervatory), I found myself doing the same mundane things hundreds, perhaps even thousands of times, as I perfer to play around and see what works as opposed to sit down and plot my path.

There is one, other annoyance with this hold, and that is that you go though the same level layout 9 times. I always look forwards to exploring the next level, and knowing that the next level would probably be exactly the same didn't exactly thrill me. However, I understand that this hold was much more focused on difficult and very tricky puzzles as opposed to an adventure, so I haven't marked you down for that.

All in all, a great hold. Many enjoyable concepts, unfortunatly masked by a very unforgiving style of this hold.
10-21-2006 at 02:17 PM
larrymurk
NiroZ wrote:
There were, however, some things I wouldn't like to see again. The thing that tops this list is lack of checkpoints. I relise that its a cheap way to make things more difficult, but on some levels, especially the last to levels where there was some emphasis on forsight(for example the Tar room on level 8, and 1W in the perfectionist obervatory), I found myself doing the same mundane things hundreds, perhaps even thousands of times, as I perfer to play around and see what works as opposed to sit down and plot my path.

Niroz,

I'm sorry you felt there were a lack of checkpoints and furthermore that you felt that there were intentionally fewer checkpoints in order to make the hold more difficult.

I am the number 1 proponent of allowing infinite undos. I try to put savepts in all my rooms and hopefully in as useful spots as possible (I try to put them where players have the option to step on them or not). In the L8 tar room I put a checkpoint at the end of the entrance area so you wouldn't have to repeat it over and over. Then I put two checkpoints further on. As for the observatory room you mention, I did put 9 well spaced save points there although I'll admit that I didn't know where the most useful place was to put them since the start can be pretty hairy and once again I wish there were simply a save anywhere feature so I wouldn't have to guess.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hold and I'll continue to try to add as many useful save pts to my holds as possible.
10-21-2006 at 06:48 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I understand the dislike of the identical layout from level to level; but on the other hand, it is thematic, so I found it quite forgivable.
10-22-2006 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
I understand the dislike of the identical layout from level to level; but on the other hand, it is thematic, so I found it quite forgivable.
Yeah, with changing layouts it just wouldn't have been Poi-fect enough... :)

np: Rhythm & Sound ft. Rod Of Iron - Lightning Storm (François K. Remix) (See Mi Yah Remixes)

10-22-2006 at 12:10 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
"Variance is by its very nature imperfect" -72nd Architect

10-22-2006 at 01:49 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Well, look at that.

It's been a long and lonely road. Perfection was the...let's see...third hold I ever started playing, right after KDD 2.0 and The Choice.

Started it, managed (barely) to clear the first level, gave up. Went back, did a little more, gave up. Well, no longer!

I have just conquered Perfection, and I feel pretty good about it!

This was an awesome hold with great puzzles. Level 9 was my favorite, and I even managed to solve most of the rooms on it (Level 9, that is) without having to resort to hints. (1S1W took a bit of a nudge.)

I think that the reason why I like larrymurk holds so much is that, in most cases, the rooms rely on some very precise movements that, once you figure out what they are, you can perform in fairly short order. I contrast this with the as-yet-unsolved-by-me Beethro's Teacher, which (while also an excellent hold) has considerably more daunting rooms. Not necessarily more difficult (although that's debatable), but simply put: once you figure out what you need to do, it may take you a very long time to do it even so. No slur on Doom is intended -- different styles, both very enjoyable.

So anyway, I'm done (almost). I have a single secret room to finish before I master the hold (guess which one?), and then I can move on to something else.

A year ago, I would have given this hold 10 brains. But since we're suffering from brain inflation these days, I'm forced to give it only 9. And a 10 rating.

Bravo, Larry!

11-10-2006 at 05:23 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
I also conquered and mastered it. I hated and loved the final room in the perfectionist's observatory. This hold is actually the best I ever saw, it's weird to see that a impossilble-looking room turns into a pretty easy room, that's why I liked it. gave it a 9 brains and a 10 rating.

11-10-2006 at 10:02 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK, finally mastered it (and completed the room behind the master wall). I confess to muttering a few vile imprecations when I first entered the room, but it actually wasn't as bad as all that once it was clear how to solve it.

Permit me to reiterate how excellent this hold is.

Josh

11-12-2006 at 05:59 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Perfection (Fall 2005 Smitemasters Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com