Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Eel (flying serpent)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2334
IP: Logged
icon Eel (+2)  
This monster would only go over pit. If you were on land beside it's head, it would kill you, like a seep. If it's body is beside you, then you can step onto it. If you are on it's tail, and you didn't move, you would die. It doesn't pull you along. Also, if you are beside it's head and on it's body it could kill you unless you are on the segment behind it's head. The way to kill it would be to trap it, like a normal serpent.
10-21-2005 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Eel (0)  
I like your suggestion.

Question: Over certain pits (e.g. rectangular ones) and with no other flying monsters around the eel would be invincible, right ?

Suggestion: since Beethro never falls into pits otherwise, I don't like the idea of falling of the eels tail. Perhaps just make the tail deadly, i.e. let it have a stinger.

I see some lovely puzzle potential involving eels and trapdoors.

kind regards,

Michael

10-21-2005 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
I like that. Maybe two kinds, like the serpent and the rattlesnake, with the second one being able to be killed with your sword
10-21-2005 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Eel (+1)  
[insert generic supporting message here]

10-22-2005 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
This sounds interesting...

If it doubled back on itself, could it grab Beethro from off its back?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
10-22-2005 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
I was kind of thinking that it couldn't double back on itself. It would be confusing, but if you think it would be good, then tell me so.
10-22-2005 at 10:46 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
I don't think it should be able to eat you of the back of another eel or itself. 2 monsters in the same square for one thing, destroys the whole monsters layer thing. The risk of falling off ought to be danger enough when riding them. (and I think you should be able to fall off. Beethro might be experienced enough to watch his step while walking on floor, but he has no experience in ridng flying eels (since such creatures probably haven't been encountered by the guild before), and that's probably a lot harder even if you have experience.) I really like this idea, sounds really fun.

[Last edited by Krishh at 10-23-2005 09:26 AM]
10-23-2005 at 09:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
2 monsters in the same square for one thing, destroys the whole monsters layer thing

Yeah, that's too bad b/c other monsters ought to be able to step on the eel, IMO. Of course, what happens to them when they get to the tail? I assume they ought to be killed also.

But as far as being able to attack Beethro on his back... it wouldn't make that much difference to the monster layer since Beethro will be dead at that point anyway (ie restart the room immediately after)

10-23-2005 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
It should be called Quetzalcoatl instead.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-23-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Falling off = more Undo and no puzzle potential. Now, bumping off maybe...
Yeah, the monster layer thing could present a problem. What say the developers? Where are they, anyway?

10-23-2005 at 10:51 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Jatopian wrote:
Yeah, the monster layer thing could present a problem. What say the developers? Where are they, anyway?
Generally those of us on the dev team need to be very careful what we say on this forum so we don't make people think that something is or is not in a future release. It's easier to just not say anything until an official press release.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-23-2005 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
But if you don't fall off, you have to move with the eel, regeardless of what did you actually do, breaking another principle of DROD: nothing that takes control of Beethros actions away from the player. In my opinion, falling off the end is better.
10-24-2005 at 07:55 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Krishh: No, you die rather than fall off. Tail has stinger.
10-24-2005 at 08:39 AM
Krishh
How is that different, except making the ridable portion effectively a square shorter?
10-24-2005 at 09:08 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
If the tail has a stinger, you can't fall off the eel, because the stinger will kill you before that.

But what about bombs? If they would kill eels and you were standing on one when it happened, you would fall again.
10-24-2005 at 09:25 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Well, you'd get blown up with the bomb too...

Unless you were on a part of the eel which wasn't in the explosion, but the head was.

Let's just say you got blown up too and leave it at that.

10-24-2005 at 11:55 AM
Someone Else
Have you ever seen a serpent in an explosion? The whole serpent blows up. I agree that a stinger makes the rideable portion shorter, so we don't need it. But if we make a sword killable eel, then the end could be a stinger, so you can not easily kill the eel from it's back. The name is irrelevent, at least for now, and eel is shorter, so let's leave it at that. Also, if you couldn't get killed by the eel while on the eels back, you would be invincible while on an eel. It's like seeps, they cant come off the wall except to kill you.
10-24-2005 at 11:03 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Someone Else wrote:
Have you ever seen a serpent in an explosion? The whole serpent blows up.
Actually, it doesn't exactly "blow up" - it just burns up, since anything under a serpent outside the blast radius isn't affected by it (its insides probably get burnt first, with the outside insulating it from the surroundings until totally incinerated).

10-24-2005 at 11:11 PM
Someone Else
Same thing.

Or, at least close enough
10-24-2005 at 11:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Eel (flying serpent)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com