Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : If on a summer's day, a delver (story with scripts galore.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zZah
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
IP: Logged
icon If on a summer's day, a delver (+1)  
Hello,
So, i have this hold that i've worked on, but recently haven't had the time to finish it. It's fairly heavy on the scripting, and gets even more scriptastic in the later levels, but it all works towards a neat little story i've got.

I have the first two levels for you's, levels three and four are partially done, but no where near enough to release. Also, some of the dialogue scripting just doesn't exist yet, as it is less important to the actual game play. It's all writen out, i just haven't bothered to include it yet.
So, i won't have time to work on it for another month if not more, but it is here for your enjoyment.

Oh, yeah, some of the secret rooms don't have the secrets in 'em, they are still accessible though.

comments are always welcome, and good, and fuzzy, possibly squishy.

[Last edited by zZah at 10-18-2005 06:59 PM]
10-18-2005 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: If on a summer's day, a delver (+2)  
So, I crossed the Bridge of Doom.

I then crossed back, because I missed a few rooms.

Now, I can't get back over.

Also, if the room right before the staircase isn't the last one for you, you also get stuck.
10-18-2005 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vertigo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: If on a summer's day, a delver (0)  
Not bad so far. Haven't been able to figure out a way to go north through 2N after the initial completion though, I see that orb and yellow door in the NE part of the room, just unsure of how to get there.

Edit: Beaten by several minutes!

[Last edited by Vertigo at 10-18-2005 06:20 AM]
10-18-2005 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon 3N! (0)  
I can't get though 3N, the room with an mimic that locks you.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-18-2005 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zZah
icon Re: If on a summer's day, a delver (+1)  
Fixed both issues about not getting back through the rooms once you beat them.
It honestly never occured to me that players would go backwards...

10-18-2005 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
That's the first direction I went, actually, and once I hit the blue door, I, uh, kinda had to.

Oh, and the guy runs away from the crowd every time you enter the room. You might consider an end on room exit.
10-18-2005 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I cant cross the bridge of lollipops. The blue door wont open.
10-18-2005 at 06:10 PM
zZah
Banjooie: the NPCs in the entrace will have lots of dialogue that explains why your on your quest and such... i just haven't got around to including it yet. but it will be fixed.

MeckMeck: its fixed now. I changed around the room requirements to fix something else, and in the process forget to reset somethings...
10-18-2005 at 07:03 PM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
icon Re: If on a summer's day, a delver (+2)  
A Lonely Path - Once South Once East: the rescued NPC does not "End on Exit" and keeps re-appearing and saying "Thank you". The dude in Once South Once West behaves properly however, and merely re-reminds the player of the item they have recieved, which is considerate.

So far, I am really digging the

I also like the landscape; this is a very wierd place. Open Field roach and spider battles are tense and enjoyable.

10-21-2005 at 05:55 AM
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
Edit: Post on the forum and then solve it yourself. This almost never fails. But I still want to know: what does Der Kleine Waffeljunge mit einem Stock mean?

"Until it ends, there is no end."

[Last edited by bdwing at 10-23-2005 09:14 AM]
10-22-2005 at 11:33 AM
zZah
well, if google is correct it means "the little waffle boy, with a stick."

if your confused as to why i'd choose such a title, there is a long and funny backstory to it.
too long to go into, but suffice to say, funny. with waffles. and sticks.
10-24-2005 at 02:27 AM
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
The second level has some nice, challenging rooms apart from the "keep off the grass" rooms to the east. The west rooms, 1W and 2W have interesting challenges.

1W, with the golem puzzle on the way in, was a wonderful challenge by itself. It looks like it will be annoying to go back through though, but I'm not sure yet, because 2W is freaking me out. Careful golem placement is needed to keep the room from being unsolvable, and it's got me beat. It's a great concept, but a little too hard for me. This does not mean that someone won't eventually come along and ace the room in 1 try... I'm just whining :P

So far, great puzzles, and I'd test it more if I weren't distinctly in the mood for a simpler game (read as "If I weren't the boss of weaksauce")
11-06-2005 at 12:35 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Ultra-mega-über-whatever you want to call it-bump.

It's been over a year since the last comment in this thread. But I'd just like to mention that I finally conquered this hold. It's really a great piece of work, from start to finish. The first level puzzles are okay, but the second level is where Zzah shines. The "keep off the grass" puzzles are exquisite, and the golem puzzles to the west (2W especially as Sergenth mentioned) are brilliant.

Overall, this is just a fantastic hold for something that's incomplete. I recommend that anyone who's looking for some unorthodox but quality smiting play it.

And, yes, I only have 50% secrets, not 100%. Still looking for those last three...

11-21-2006 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Yeah. Great bump. I played a bit of this hold and I realized it would take a smarter person than me to finish it. I didn't get to see the second level, but I can see from Chaco's comments that it rules. I totally think this should be put on the Holds Board. But I don't think zZah is still around...

Keep posting,

11-21-2006 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
I think Zzah's just one of those "inactive" types that veeeery rarely posts. If you check his posts you'll see he's participated in a few things other than this thread, and even a monthly contest.

But yeah, I don't think he'll check this thread for a while.

More on-topic, I've found two of the missing secrets - one was very well hidden. I still need one more for the first level though.

11-21-2006 at 02:28 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I saw Chaco's post and realised this was one I had missed. I agree that it's a good 'un, but I'm stuck in the lower half of the golem room with the trapdoors in it. The trapdoors are no problem, but I can't get in amongst the golems at the bottom. A tip or two would do please Chaco, or anyone else, if you wouldn't mind.

Also, because I'm useless at horde management, I could do with a tip for 1N1E on that level, too.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 11-22-2006 03:30 PM]
11-22-2006 at 03:28 PM
Chaco
1W:

I think 2W is probably the best room in the hold, don't you agree?

1N1E:

11-22-2006 at 03:38 PM
bandit1200
Thanks. I'd managed the golem one before I saw your reply. First time through I had spent some time practicing the trapdoor half, not realising I didn't need to complete it the same way after completing the bottom half. Heh. In the roach one I was practically there, but had being going in with my sword pointing in the wrong direction.

Chaco wrote:I think 2W is probably the best room in the hold, don't you agree?
Yep, what looks a simple room is quite tricky.

The orb maze with the roaches had me studying for quite a while too, I just couldn't figure out how to get to the bottom roach.

The orb puzzle near the end is horrible, *and* I need to do it again. :?
11-22-2006 at 08:03 PM
jemann
Rank Points: 160
Chaco wrote:More on-topic, I've found two of the missing secrets - one was very well hidden. I still need one more for the first level though.
Well, I can only find one of the three on level 1 ('To the bookshop'); I seem to have tested every room boundary to no avail. Any hints for the other two?

And yes, level 2 is very good. The golem/roach/bomb maze really forces you to plan ahead in golem placement...

11-24-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
jemann wrote:
Chaco wrote:More on-topic, I've found two of the missing secrets - one was very well hidden. I still need one more for the first level though.
Well, I can only find one of the three on level 1 ('To the bookshop'); I seem to have tested every room boundary to no avail. Any hints for the other two?

And yes, level 2 is very good. The golem/roach/bomb maze really forces you to plan ahead in golem placement...
That'll be the same two I can't find, after bumping Beethro against every available spot. I can barely move my fingers this morning after looking for those secrets *and* playing Tokyokid's hold last night.
11-24-2006 at 07:18 AM
Chaco
Did you notice that orb off of the Bridge of Doom?

Try playing around in that room - it should become obvious what you need to do.

11-24-2006 at 01:34 PM
bandit1200
Chaco wrote:

Umm, it didn't become obvious. :?
11-25-2006 at 09:06 AM
Chaco
What happens if you get a question wrong?

11-25-2006 at 09:42 AM
bandit1200
If that was a hint, it was so subtle I didn't even understand it.
11-25-2006 at 01:04 PM
Chaco

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-25-2006 08:54 PM]
11-25-2006 at 08:53 PM
bandit1200
Ah, I'm not seeing him anymore, which is why your hint made no sense to me.
11-25-2006 at 09:24 PM
jemann
Rank Points: 160
Chaco wrote:

Cheers, secret found.

I'm going to have to give up on the hold, I think. I'd like to see beyond the master doors, but have no clue how to get to the last secret. Even those grassy areas in level 2 have solid borders (yes, the lawn-enforcement squad can be evaded).

[Edit: to clarify, I've found all the secrets bar one on level 1 - the same one Chaco can't find. D'oh!]

[Last edited by jemann at 11-27-2006 03:30 AM]
11-26-2006 at 11:57 PM
Chaco
Did you conquer the hold? There are three secrets on level 1 and three on level 2. I've found all three on level 2, so it's possible to get them all I think.

(Incidentally, if you've found all three on level 1 I'd like to PM you the location of the two I've found in the hopes you can give me the third.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-27-2006 12:04 AM]
11-27-2006 at 12:03 AM
zZah
Wow, just wow.

I thought that this hold would fade into history.
I'm also touched that some of you have enjoyed the puzzles in it.

I had intended to finish it, but the factors of school (at the time) and now work strayed my interests from it.

The title of the hold was a take on a novel by Italo Calvino, where every chapter was a different story of sorts, but in the end it all came together. This hold was meant to do the same, I was also trying to do things with the scripting that i had not seen.

Thanks to UrAvgAzn for trying to revive dead holds.
01-05-2007 at 08:45 PM
Chaco

File: If on a Summers day a Delver.hold (73 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
I noticed that the hold mentioned in this thread doesn't seem to be available for download in any of the posts anymore, presumably since the architect took down an old version and forgot to put another version back up.

Since I thought this was a good hold, I'm attaching the most recent version of the hold I have so that curious Architecture delvers can play the hold. If zZah has plans for the hold and wants me to take the hold off of this post, I'll go ahead and do that.

08-23-2011 at 05:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : If on a summer's day, a delver (story with scripts galore.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com