Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #6
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 597
IP: Logged
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+1)  
Yeah, thought I might be okay to play but had a funny turn earlier on and had to go and lie down for an hour and a half so it's definitely a no from me for today but once I'm better I might go for a zoom-run anyway just for fun as Chaco says above. Good luck to everyone racing!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-19-2020 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I will be starting my stream about half an hour before the race starts, about Local Time:01-19-2020 at 05:30 PM, at the following URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjQnA3y3Frs

Not sure what I'll be streaming before the race. Maybe L M N O?

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-19-2020 03:35 PM]
01-19-2020 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+2)  
I'll join this even though I'm very out of practice. I'll be warming up with the new war hold.
https://www.twitch.tv/blorx

01-19-2020 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
https://www.twitch.tv/entrropic
Random Obsessive as warm-up then the race hold when it comes up.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-09-2020 01:11 PM]
01-19-2020 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
01-19-2020 at 05:52 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: Blind Race 6 Six and Stones.hold (62.8 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
The Blind Race #6 contest race hold is attached to this post.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-19-2020 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Someone else may want to confirm these times to be sure they are correct.

(Edit: Race start was 6:00pm UTC)

1st Place: Chaco (7:06pm UTC)
2nd Place: mxvladi (7:08pm UTC)
3rd Place: blorx1 (7:22pm UTC)

Rabscuttle and Nuntar also participated and made excellent progress.

Congratulations to all the racers!

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-20-2020 06:43 AM]
01-19-2020 at 07:39 PM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (0)  
Thanks for playing all of you!

I did some testing and I found some of the rooms pretty nifty. But then I figured: "Hey, these are drod gramdmasters, so they deserve a bit of a challenge."

Now browsing through your play sessions. Hope you had fun and it wasn't too frustrating.

Congrats Chaco
Thanks for organising Mauve and
Thanks for live-hosting this Diso

01-20-2020 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
And btw: I still think this should have been called

Blind Race #6: 6 feet beneath

But I guess that may be a bit too morbid for some of us :)

01-20-2020 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I've checked out all the streams linked in this thread. Well done, everybody.

For what it's worth here is the breakdown for joker usage in this race:

I hope my memory was right with all of these. I had just binged four streams, so I might have been mixing things up.

Interestingly, there were no duplicates this time around (although there were cases where a player had used up all of their jokers and then wanted to joker a room another player had jokered.)

Also, it's probably not fair to judge the difficulty of the levels based on joker usage since one player wasn't sure if there was more than one level and blew all the jokers early.

01-20-2020 at 11:30 AM
Dying Flutchman
That's interesting Mauve.

For the next race, why not add the feature to retract a joker using special command? Provided each room has a seeding beacon, that'd be quite ready to script.

Or is joker-anxiety party of the race philosophy?

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 01-20-2020 12:56 PM]
01-20-2020 at 12:43 PM
mauvebutterfly
That's a good idea.

Also, there wouldn't need to be seeding beacons in the room, since you can add an active beacon via scripting. Although, that will require there being an open spot for the beacon.

The harder part is in remembering which rooms the player used a joker in and only letting them reset a jokered room. Otherwise you could farm an easy room over and over to collect jokers. I could still probably script something for it though.

That being said, I'd kind of like to run in the next race, instead of being an architect. I've been going back and forth like that since race #3.

edit: On second thought, this would be way too much work and potential for bugs for the payoff. I think the idea the idea that there's a slight time tax in running back to previous levels to use a joker is a fair trade for skipping a room, and nobody has really had any issues with the current system. If a runner chooses to play greedy and use a joker before seeing all of the rooms, that's a risk that they can take.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 01-20-2020 01:16 PM]
01-20-2020 at 01:06 PM
mauvebutterfly
Changes made to the hold post-race:

This contains mild spoilers, so if your name is navith or you still intend to run the race, please don't click ;)

I intend to send this to the HAs this weekend, so if anybody who participated (running or spectating) in the race has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

01-20-2020 at 02:01 PM
Rabscuttle
mauvebutterfly wrote:

I intend to send this to the HAs this weekend, so if anybody who participated (running or spectating) in the race has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

There's an orthosquare in Nostalgia.
01-20-2020 at 06:34 PM
disoriented
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+4)  
Nostalgia is always a little distorted from the true state of the past, Rabscuttle.

01-20-2020 at 10:58 PM
Chaco

File: blindrace6_splits.png (261.7 KB)
Downloaded 259 times.
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+3)  
Inspired by uncopy2002's splits of Blind Race #2, here's a set of splits based off of rough measurements of how long it took everybody to do each room. Rabscuttle's YouTube stream had a few dropped frames, but otherwise these should be mostly correct (maybe plus or minus a few seconds in either direction, this isn't scientifically exact). I don't have Nuntar's footage so didn't include that in this set either.

Some quick observations to be made from this:

* Atrophied Shore 2S1E was probably the best room to joker in this whole hold, since it took everybody over 6 minutes to beat it and yet nobody actually jokered it. Interestingly Rabscuttle actually beat this room the fastest despite not finishing.

* Nostalgia: The Entrance might have been the easiest room in the hold, but Nostalgia: 1S was the fastest, probably because of the lower monster count.

* Chaco's margin of victory over mxvladi was easily less than one room; it's easy to come up with an extra 1:49 anywhere and anytime.

01-21-2020 at 03:01 AM
Chaco

File: blindrace6_times.zip (32.2 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Here's the spreadsheet in ODS (original, LibreOffice) format, and XLS format. The time offset formatting is OK but including/excluding times from the average based on whether the racer jokered the room is currently done manually on a row-by-row basis, so it's not as automatic as I'd like.

Nevertheless this might save some work for the next race.

01-21-2020 at 03:04 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rabscuttle wrote:

Yes. That was actually a force arrow originally, but then I realized that I hadn't used orthosquares anywhere so I switched one in. I was trying to use everything found in KDD at least once.

That being said, that doesn't really fit with the tileset that I chose, so I'll probably "fix" this in the final release.

Also, yuck, orthosquares. I generally prefer not to see those.

01-21-2020 at 08:31 AM
Dying Flutchman
Rabscuttle wrote: There's an orthosquare in Nostalgia.

Off-topic: That quote somehow really sounds like the name of some obscure avant-garde art collective.

01-21-2020 at 09:39 AM
Rabscuttle
mauvebutterfly wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:

Yes. That was actually a force arrow originally, but then I realized that I hadn't used orthosquares anywhere so I switched one in. I was trying to use everything found in KDD at least once.

That being said, that doesn't really fit with the tileset that I chose, so I'll probably "fix" this in the final release.

Also, yuck, orthosquares. I generally prefer not to see those.

Orthosquares weren't in KDD though, they were introduced in JtRH. They do appear in a secret room or two in KDD2.0, which might be where the confusion lies.
01-21-2020 at 12:10 PM
mauvebutterfly
I think that TSS got released right around the time I discovered DROD, so I'm a bit shaky about what was in which version of KDD.

01-21-2020 at 01:13 PM
Rabscuttle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me4pdpvVZ1k

I streamed the remaining rooms, then had a poke about the post-completery levels.
01-24-2020 at 01:57 PM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
Looks like the hold was uploaded twice. Someone might want to remove one of them.
02-04-2020 at 01:37 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #6
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com