Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Take Five contest compilation (So unlike the last time I ran a contest, I figured I'd post the compilation to architecture in the same year that the contest ran.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: Take Five 6.hold (2 MB)
Downloaded 28 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Take Five contest compilation (0)  
NOTE: This has been published. Thanks to Chaco and Dischorran for HAing it!

This is the contest compilation for the recent Take Five Contest (March/April 2017). Here are the related threads for folks who haven't been following the contest but would still like to help with beta testing.

Contest Description

Original compilation and voting

Please feel free to make suggestions in the thread below. If you'd like to update a room or your entry at this point, please post a copy of it below along with a list of the rooms that have changed. If you participated in this contest and I don't hear from you by, say the end of May, I'm going to just assume you're okay with everything and don't want to make changes to your entry. If you don't want to make changes to you entry you're welcome to say so in this thread but don't have to. I'm hoping to push this out to HA by maybe the end of May or so, but am fine with waiting longer if a lot of changes still need to be made or if anyone asks super nicely for more time.

Change Log:
Changes as of Oct
* Changes to Girkle Gun scripting that do not impact any rooms in this hold but make it nicer for architects who may want to copy the scripting to other holds.

Changes as of Sept
* New version of Five Pointed Spear.

Changes as of 23/April
* New Version of Stuck in the Muck that fixes break in 1S and challenge scripting in 1S1W
* New Version of Master of the Mundane that fixes checkpoint placement in 3N

As of 19/April Following changes have been made to the original version:
* All entries re-downloaded and copied over so that architects' names will appear at level entrance. This will probably break all existing demos, sorry folks.
* New version of Duplication Desert that fixes a room break in 2S1E.
* New version of Custom Weapons Redux. Many changes
Click here to view the secret text

* New version of Five-Pointed Spear.

*New version of Minimalism.

To Do:
* Feedback and testing on other levels.
* There were probably unintended solutions in levels that the architects may want to fix, though I'm also 100% fine if those architects want to leave them in.
* Much more important than USes, there are a couple of challenge scrolls locked behind room clear conditions. Can we please move those so that they are accessible from the start of the room? *Sigh* Apparently we can't have nice things.
* I'm working on a new level map that's a bit more spacious. Once that's done, First through third place along with architect names will be displayed with the level titles on the map. At the moment, I plan to use forum screen name for architect names (as opposed to the player name that shows up as the architect name in the level entrance text screen.) If you'd prefer that I use something else please let me know.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-30-2017 01:49 AM]
04-20-2017 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527

File: Stuck in the Muck.hold (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
icon Re: Take Five contest compilation (+1)  
New version of Stuck in the Muck.

Changes:
-1S Leak fix: can't just exit and loop back through to get extra cuts anymore
-1S1W Scripting fix: Challenge no longer awarded for just entering the room after you cleared it. Derp.

Notes:
-Challenge scroll in 1S can remain where it is because there is literally no way to clear the room without doing half of the challenge in the process, the scroll effectively just says "now do it the other way".
-Challenge scroll in 3S spoils a solution, and can't reasonably be worded in a way that doesn't spoil a solution, so MUST remain behind the green door.
-In view of at least one existing demo, might consider adding a challenge to 2S1E for not using the eastern powder keg at all? Maybe? Opinions welcome.

Here are some links to Things!

04-20-2017 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: Take Five contest compilation (0)  
This is a new one to me: what's wrong with Challenge scrolls behind room-clear doors? That actually seems sensible if your Challenge contains spoilers (clear room w/o using ____) as Xindaris mentioned.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so if this has been discussed somewhere feel free to point me there.

May as well add I loved this contest and (almost all) the entries. It has a Lunchbreak Special feel to me.
04-20-2017 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
I don't want to make any changes to my entry, just to be clear :)
04-20-2017 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
LeoS wrote: This is a new one to me: what's wrong with Challenge scrolls behind room-clear doors? That actually seems sensible if your Challenge contains spoilers (clear room w/o using ____) as Xindaris mentioned.

I find it super annoying as a player. If there's a challenge I'd rather know about it and be able to decide if I want to do the room that way. I may not want to bother with the non-challenge way of doing things. Case in point, for 3S, the challenge doesn't actually spoil much other than the fact that there's a mirror in the room and mirrors can weigh down plates. It's not like players wouldn't notice the three mirrors there, and I'd rather try to do things the hard way from the get go rather than have to solve the room once then solve it again in a slightly harder way.

But even if the challenge scroll "spoils" a solution to the room I don't feel like it warrants completely blocking it off from the player. If an architect is absolutely heart set on avoiding "spoilers" they can always put the scroll behind a "warning scroll" telling the player not to read further if they want to avoid spoiling things. I tend to lean on the side of "player directed" rather than "architect directed" in terms of design though. I'd rather give the player the autonomy to chose how they want things to go than to force what I happen to think is best on them.

At any rate. I'll respect Xindaris' wishes for this one. It's his entry and I'd rather let him keep it the way he wants to. Next time I run a contest I'll remember to specify no blocked off challenges in the rules though :P

04-20-2017 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
mauvebutterfly brought to my attention that, in Master of the Mundane 3N, one of the checkpoints is badly placed because the evil eye is looking at it.

So, I'd like the two northern checkpoints to each be moved one square north, and the two southern checkpoints to be moved one square south, so the symmetry is maintained but all the checkpoints are safe to use.

I don't have any other changes to make.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-21-2017 12:16 AM]
04-21-2017 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Insoluble - thanks for the reply, I honestly never even noticed or considered this perspective. My DROD solving style tends to be Barge Right In and begin doing stuff and if I complete the room, yay, if not, sit back and try to puzzle out what I should do. And then, if the room was short or fun enough go back and try to optimize (or at least improve) my solution. So I'm already re-playing most rooms several times; the Challenge just adds another round of fun (imo) or if it isn't fun, I skip trying the Challenge.

Some architectural common sense probably matters - scrolls behind doors in puzzle/linchpin rooms vs. 1000-move or massive horde rooms. Anyway, for my own future contest entries or architecture (next time = first time lol) I'll be aware of that...and place challenge scrolls behind an elaborate gentryii maze instead. :P
04-21-2017 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insoluble
Xindaris wrote:
New version of Stuck in the Muck.
Changes:
-1S Leak fix: can't just exit and loop back through to get extra cuts anymore
-1S1W Scripting fix: Challenge no longer awarded for just entering the room after you cleared it. Derp.

Updated the hold with this new version.

Pekka wrote:
I don't want to make any changes to my entry, just to be clear :)
Cool. Thanks for checking in!

Chaco wrote:
mauvebutterfly brought to my attention that, in Master of the Mundane 3N, one of the checkpoints is badly placed because the evil eye is looking at it.

So, I'd like the two northern checkpoints to each be moved one square north, and the two southern checkpoints to be moved one square south, so the symmetry is maintained but all the checkpoints are safe to use.

I don't have any other changes to make.

No problem. Checkpoints have been moved.

04-24-2017 at 08:16 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: Five-Pointed Spear.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
In chat it was recommended that I add a challenge to 11N, so I finally got around to doing that.

I also fixed a (highly improbable but technically possible) bug in the 10N1E challenge and fixed up the challenge scroll there to be more clear.

05-01-2017 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Fair warning: I'm finally just about finished recording a demo set for this, so will probably be sending it to HA soon. Possibly later tonight. I haven't seen any comments in a while so I'm assuming everyone is happy with the fixes they made to their entries. If you have any last minute adjustments please let me know and I'll hold off on sending it in.

09-25-2017 at 01:59 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: Custom Weapons Redux.hold (53.4 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
I've been playing around with the girkle gun and fixed a couple of serious bugs. Nothing that I could reproduce in the rooms in this compilation, but just in case I've replaced all the rooms using the element.

I've played through all the rooms again, and everything seems to be working fine.

10-17-2017 at 03:25 PM
Insoluble
Thanks. I just updated the hold with the new scripting.

10-21-2017 at 04:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Take Five contest compilation (So unlike the last time I ran a contest, I figured I'd post the compilation to architecture in the same year that the contest ran.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com