Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
<<51525354
Page 55 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
IP: Logged
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
Okay, so this is shameless self promotion, but I've been working on this project for a little over 5 months.

I've been working on a Scooby-Doo parody called Skunky Mutt and the Puzzle Posse. I got the idea a good while back when a couple characters of my MisFitZ cartoons mentioned watching shows called Skunky Mutt and the Puzzle Posse and Professor Y (a take on Doctor Who).

Anyway, it's been a lot of work and I figured I'd share it with as many people as I could. It's called Skunky Mutt and the Puzzle Posse: The Blackwater Beast

(Fair warning, though. While my MisFitZ animations typically ran no longer than 5-7 minutes, this new one runs almost 24 minutes long.)

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 04-23-2014 04:31 PM]
04-23-2014 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Look! Links! (+1)  
Look! Here's a huge list of links that are worth checking out!

04-23-2014 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vike91
Rank Points: 230
icon Re: Look! Links! (0)  
stigant wrote:
:tongue

04-23-2014 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
stigant wrote:

I

I'm dying
04-24-2014 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
This happens every single time I shave.

[Last edited by Vike91 at 04-26-2014 11:55 AM]
04-26-2014 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Legend of Zelda is cheat proof

05-31-2014 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
05-31-2014 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
What are you going to do today? (With Jellybeans!)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-01-2014 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This picture getting drawn has to be one of the most captivating videos I've ever seen. Didn't much care for the commentary, though.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-29-2014 at 08:14 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
If you ever have some spare time I'd recommend watching God on Trial. 'God on Trial is a 2008 BBC/WGBH Boston television play written by Frank Cottrell Boyce, starring Antony Sher, Rupert Graves and Jack Shepherd. The play takes place in Auschwitz during World War II. The Jewish prisoners put God on trial in absentia for abandoning the Jewish people. The question is if God has broken his covenant with the Jewish people by allowing the Nazis to commit genocide.'

It asks and raises some interesting philosophical questions and is generally a good watch, if quite heavy.

WARNING: Contains buzz words.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

10-21-2014 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
Death Illustrated is a good game, if old (2003-2002) and abandoned. The singleplayer campaign is worth checking out, because even though there are few maps (about 35, 2 of which are blank) these are levels sure to last you a lifetime, no matter how scarce.

Multiplayer (because it is abandoned) doesn't work (no servers), but if you could set up your own server, you could get people to play DI again for sure.

On singleplayer modes, 19 levels are Campaign, the other (about 16) are Deathmatch.

Be warned... on some computers like mine directly clicking "Death Illustrated" doesn't work, and instead click "death.bat".

It's completely free, you don't have to pay at all.

04-18-2015 at 10:07 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Caution: shameless self-promotion ahead

I have a Twitch stream. A while ago, I started playing through the Myst series on stream. I finished 1-3, but I had to stop at Myst IV because the visuals were choppy and I couldn't figure out a way to fix it. I believe I've figured it out now, and I'm planning to pick up where I left off: at the very beginning of Myst IV. I'll be starting in about 3 hours, at noon Eastern Time.

If you'd like to join me in my stream, it's at http://twitch.tv/thedimono and I'm planning to stream there every Sunday at that time - when I finish Myst IV I'll be moving on to another puzzle game, and so on.

08-23-2015 at 02:03 PM
Vike91
Look! I'm streaming!

http://www.twitch.tv/vikester

edit: streaming over. I'll inform later of the next streaming time.

[Last edited by Vike91 at 01-08-2016 01:22 AM]
01-07-2016 at 11:56 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
Well if anything goes here, I'll link to a flash animation that's been just like a flash animation to me. (You'll get that joke about 3 1/2 minutes into it.)

01-23-2016 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I know that by internet age it's super old, but my wife just shown me The Coconut Song and it's so awesome I can't not share :D.

05-27-2016 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I stumbled across this today: A poem on AI rights.

Pretty fun read!

06-14-2016 at 01:45 AM
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Racing for Rupees!

Hands down, one of the best (non-Pixar) animations I've ever seen.

07-02-2016 at 10:03 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Project Euler

This came up in DROD chat a few times - it's essentially a collection of math puzzles about number properties, or in some cases geometry. For example, you might be asked to find the index of the first Fibonacci number with 1000 digits, or figure out whether each of a thousand triangles contains the origin or not.

A surprisingly large number of them are solvable just with paper and pencil, but since several of them involve very large numbers, very large data-sets, or both, you're generally encouraged to do some programming to have your computer help you out with searching for the answer.

This combination of mathematical deduction, to reduce the size of your search space, and clever programming to efficiently search said space, or do the computations in a straightforward manner, means that solving any one single puzzle is quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, here's my friend key in case you want to share progresses:

743381_VkXHaIiXuipT7mwLRNssohIBZLm6ZJ8m

03-24-2017 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302

This video has some video previews of technical papers from SIGGRAPH 2017. It's good for a brief glimpse into recent computer graphics research. It's 3m 11s.
05-07-2017 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Pedro Medeiros ( https://twitter.com/saint11 ) creates frequent pixel art tutorials and post them on his Twitter feed. They feature a variety of pixel art specific techniques and more general animation techniques.

Here is a link for an advanced search that shows just the tweets with the #tutorial hashtag. Search results.

They are also freely viewable on his Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/saint11/posts?tag=tutorial
06-07-2017 at 06:41 AM
Pekka
Springer released a selection of open access books as PDFs some time ago. I saw a link to this categorized list of these books by Harish Narayanan today, and I'd like to share it here.

https://hnarayanan.github.io/springer-books/

The announcement that Springer made earlier is here.

https://www.springeropen.com/books

06-15-2020 at 06:36 PM
azb
At the place I am currently working at, I am hosting an unofficial video game design club on Google Hangouts.

Although I am flexible and can change how the club functions, I believe it would make the most logical sense to make 2D games before 3D games, as 3D is harder to make if you are not familiar with game design.

Similarly, I think it would also be best for us to work on art first as that is the easiest to do on a computer, and then sound design next, and then level design because you need sound and art for a functional level, and then finally programming.

The link for anybody who is interested and has a Google/YouTube account is:

https://hangouts.google.com/group/PU8pJLmU5DKBXpUx7

For this week, I am teaching basic shape tools in Microsoft Paint, and then each week we will learn something new:

What we will learn x weeks from now:
1) color theory
2) opacity and gradients
3) JPEG vs PNG compression
4) select and freehand drawing tools
5) tools similar to freehand tools, such as burn, smudge and clone
6) layer masks and blending
7) basic transforms and cropping
8) warp transforms
9) pen tool
10) text
11) seamless backgrounds and textures
12) animated GIFs
13) imitating 3D art styles without use of the perspective tool.

08-31-2020 at 07:42 PM
azb
I have finished a Google Site with all of the tutorials up to now which I update each week; so far I am still only teaching digital art/graphics, but I plan on moving on to sound design in December.

https://sites.google.com/view/as220gamedesign/tutorial

[Last edited by azb at 10-19-2020 03:14 PM : Clarified date of next unit]
10-19-2020 at 03:13 PM
azb
I finished publishing the final tutorial video in the 2D graphics and animation unit just now, and I made sure to organize it in a neat playlist for anybody interested. Note that some videos have info cards to link back to previous concepts that they are built upon, IE how layer masks rely on a good knowledge of the alpha channel, or how blending modes rely on a good knowledge of the math/computing behind how RGB colors work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqvGFhXbDTLqccOVlybDi9drTRspA2Dv4

[Last edited by azb at 11-25-2020 01:48 PM : YouTube embed won't work for link]
11-25-2020 at 01:47 PM
azb
Sadly, the website appears to be down right now (I get a 404 link), so I think I will have to start another one from scratch, but for now I have a link to the sound and music production playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqvGFhXbDTLr6pKLfCdIcOBNv8U9PcnAH

I teach in this order each week:

1: How headphones vs speakers work, as a prerequisite about how you will get different playback sound qualities depending on what you listen with

2: Basics of sound waves, such as frequency, volume, and what a triangle, square or sine wave is

3: Basics of digital recording, such as sample rate and bit depth

4: Lossy audio compression files such as MP3 or OGG Vorbis (note that I do not cover lossless files such as FLAC because most game engines do not support them)

5: Mechanics of how sound is made physically (string, wind and percussion instruments)

6: Basic electronic effects like amplification, pitch and tempo changing, reversing and inverting the sound, or fade ins/fade outs

7: Modulation-based effects, like tremolo or vibrato

8: Time-based effects, like echo, repetition, delay, or reverb

9: Tone-based effects, like overdrive and distortion, phasers, or wah-wah effects

10: Basic spectral effects, like compression, low and high pass filters, or bandpass/bandstop (notch) filters

11: Advanced spectral effects like equalization (AKA audio mixing)

12: How harmony and chords work (how to layer tracks for a more richer sound)

13: Harmonic series for synthesizing your own tone/timbre from scratch

14: Types of tempos/beats/measures (1:1, 4:3 etc)

15: Arpeggios and their similarity to chords

16: Octaves and how semi-tones, quarter-tones etc work

17: Scales (like Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do)

18: Keys (referring to the relative pitch a scale is in, not like physical piano keys)

Currently, I am only on week 5 of the program, but I am still working on recording the rest taking it on a week by week basis.

Do any of you guys who are musically inclined think I teach it in the proper order, and do you know if I missed out on anything?

[Last edited by azb at 12-30-2020 01:26 AM : Clarify which part I am on]
12-30-2020 at 01:25 AM
azb
Okay, I can see now that I forgot bass vs treble boosting, as well as crossfade effects and paulstretch effects, so I think bass vs treble boosting would go well with basic spectral effects, paulstretch effects would go well with time-based effects because of how it stretches out the sound over the specified time, and crossfade effects would go well with the video that introduces harmony because they are based on having different tracks/layers seamlessly blend into one another, as opposed to the regular fade ins and fade outs.

I also forgot about vocoders and autotune, but I think that would best fit with tone-based effects since it is all about getting an electronic sound to your voice or whatever instrument you use.

EDIT: Actually, I think vocoders would work better when teaching harmony and harmony-based effects like crossfades, because of the nature of how vocoders work (IE: how you have to synthesize a second track to the one you are applying the effect to, to make the vocoding work/tune the vocoder).

[Last edited by azb at 12-30-2020 10:08 PM : Revisit vocoder placement]
12-30-2020 at 09:21 PM
azb
icon Re: Look! Links! (+4)  
Hello everyone,

I have developed an Asteroids style game using MIT's Scratch engine, with a theme similar to Bandersnatch's alternative timelines, or Dr. Who's TARDIS, famous time travel concepts like that. In particular, I implemented time travel by having the player switch between multiple eras of 2D gaming, starting with the original era of the Asteroids game (late 70s/early 80s arcade machines) leading up through all the major eras to present day HD gaming.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/454879843/

02-15-2021 at 01:02 AM
azb
Hello everyone,

A: I have completed the music production unit of the tutorial, so for everybody's convenience here it is:

I also have a link to the 2D graphics unit for anybody interested:

B: I will also start this week teaching 2D game programming using MIT's Scratch Engine for convenience to anybody new to programming and software development, so I do in this order each week:

1) Introduction to the binary system and how variables consume more data the greater their number value

2) Event blocks, which will not start the rest of the code until they are executed (like how double clicking on drod.exe will start the code in DROD's case)

3) Look blocks, which are used to alter a graphic mid-game, like its size or color

4) How to work with imported graphics in Scratch, called "Costumes"

5) Sound blocks, which can also be used to alter some properties of a sound mid-game such as its pitch or volume

6) How to work with imported sound and music files in Scratch

7) Control blocks, which are used to direct the flow of the rest of the code

8) Creating custom variables in Scratch

9) Blocks that run before rendering the next screen

10) Mathematical operator blocks, which have a wide range of uses from simple addition and multiplication, to more complex things like logarithms and trigonometric functions

11) Sensing blocks, which are used for sensing physical/real-world inputs rather than virtual inputs like keystrokes

12) Motion blocks, which are (in my opinion) the most technically complicated of Scratch's blocks, but also the fundamental cornerstone of how game mechanics work/are implemented.

13) 1D constant velocity linear motion, like in many platformer games for enemy AI

14) 1D accelerated linear motion, which is usually used to make player characters run

15) 2D constant velocity linear motion, like you see in the Asteroids enemies or the ball in Pong.

16) 2D accelerated linear motion, including projectile motion.

17) Constant velocity rotational motion, again using Asteroids as a reference to constant rotational rate of the ship when you turn it.

18) Accelerated rotational motion, like with increasing the spinning of a bike wheel by applying torque.

19) Complex motion that combines rotational and linear motion, like top-down 2D racing games do.

Would you guys say that it is well-thought out and in good order, or did I miss out on anything?

[Last edited by azb at 04-01-2021 08:01 PM : Link wasn't working properly]
04-01-2021 at 07:58 PM
azb
I am also thinking that I should teach 3D modelling and texturing after making 2D games, and then making 3D games after that.

In particular, I would like to teach for 3D modelling in this order:

1) Basic polygonal meshes, like in the Mario 64 era (although some of the game's models could be more detailed too)

2) More detailed meshes, like Quake III had but they were still pretty low poly

3) Hyper realistic models, like Call of Duty or Fortnite has

4) Texturing your models using Photoshop skills taught in the first unit

5) Adding extra textures to your model, like bumpmaps, lightmaps normalmaps etc.

6) Animating your models using keyframe animations

7) Animating your models using skeletal animation model formats, similar to how skeletons work in real life human bodies

8) Scanning real-life actors into skeletal models, like many triple A studios do or technical colleges

I am thinking that for the 3D programming unit after, I can do:

1) Programming the models to display different polygon counts at different fields of view, similar to how older 3D PC games worked

2) Introduction to the 3 axis, such as yaw

3) Programming vector calculations for environmental factors such as light raytracing, or sounds decreasing with distance/radius

4) 1D constant velocity motion, such as a player moving along one axis in most games

5) 1D accelerated linear motion, such as some physics games have like the Marble Blast series (both PC and Xbox releases)

6) 2D constant velocity linear motion, like shooter game gun vectors have (although it's so fast it's hard to tell and feels instantaneous)

7) 2D accelerated linear motion, including projectile motion

8) 2D constant velocity rotational motion, like you see when you turn the character around with the mouse in some games

9) 2D accelerated rotational motion

10) 3D rotational motion, like throwing a ring or tennis racket at an angle in real life and how it follows a bizarre mathematical pattern (ignoring linear displacement from things like gravity or the force of your throw)

11) 3D rotational motion combined with 1 and 2D linear motion, so using the previous example but this time with linear displacement caused by the factors mentioned above

[Last edited by azb at 04-05-2021 06:04 PM : Grammar - incorrect "a" before "skeletal models"]
04-05-2021 at 06:02 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
These seem like interesting topics to me and you seem to have put a lot of thought into the curriculum. I have nothing else to add to what you've proposed.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-07-2021 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<51525354
Page 55 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com