Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spawn Tiles
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Spawn Tiles (+5)  
Spawn tiles are a second-tab element that spawn different things.

Spawn tiles start off "clean"; that is, they spawn nothing. However, once a monster steps onto a spawn tile, the monster is immediately killed and the spawn tile is "imprinted" with that monster. On every thirtieth turn, the spawn tile creates the imprinted monster at its coordinates, assuming nothing is on top of the spawn tile. The monster will try to move on the next turn. If the monster cannot move, it will *not* be killed by the spawn tile unless it moves off and back on again.

Spawn tiles that are clear are white. Spawn tiles that are imprinted use a faded picture of the monster they spawn as a background.

Briar grows over spawn tiles, but does not destroy either them or the imprint. Tarstuff cannot grow over spawn tiles.

Most monsters will imprint on spawn tiles. However, there are some notes and exceptions:
- Brains and waterskipper nests cannot be placed on spawn tiles.
- Tarstuff mothers and snakes are unaffected by spawn tiles. Spawn tiles act like scrolls to serpents.
- Rock giants are unaffected by spawn tiles. If a rock giant walks over a spawn tile, the tile will become "clear" and stop spawning until it gets imprinted by another monster.
- Fegundoes act like rock giants when they fly over (or blow up on) spawn tiles.
- Mirrors behave like rock giants when pushed over a spawn tile.
- Spawn tiles are not destroyed when dropped into pit or water. However, pits and water count as obstacles if the imprinted monster cannot walk on them.
- Spawned enemies will trigger pressure plates as soon as they spawn.
- Spawn tiles are unaffected by explosions and fuses.
- Swords block spawn tiles.
- The player, clones, decoys, slayers, and Halph are unaffected by spawn tiles.
- Mimics, stalwarts, and soldiers will die and imprint on spawn tiles like most other monsters.
- Citizens will die and imprint on spawn tiles. If there are relay stations, the spawned citizen will turn the color of and pathmap toward the nearest relay station.
- Monsters spawned always start off facing southeast.
- Visible characters will die and imprint on spawn tiles. Invisible characters do not, and they do not block spawn tiles.
- Builders can create and destroy spawn tiles. Spawn tiles created by builders start off clean.

===========

Phew. I think I covered everything, but please ask if any of you have questions. I hope that this element has sufficient element interaction be interesting without being too confusing. :)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-13-2012 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Spawn Tiles (+3)  
The basic idea is alright, but this element has lots of little weird quirks that don't seem to have any reason for existing and make the element more confusing to deal with. Why can't tar and serpents go over it? Why do rock giants and mirrors clear it? Why remove puzzle potential by excluding brains and waterskipper nests? Why would monsters spawn facing southeast, of all directions, and why not the orientation of the monster that was imprinted? Why would a fegundo clear a spawn plate but not an actual explosion?

06-13-2012 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Spawn Tiles (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
Why can't tar and serpents go over it?
Tarstuff cannot grow over force arrows or orthosquares (the other major second-tab elements), so I figure it will not grow over this stuff, either. The serpent decision was arbitrary.
Why do rock giants and mirrors clear it?
Would a rock giant stepping on a spawn tile imprint the tile with rock giant or rock golem? I figure that rock giants should act like the other large monsters and not be damaged at all. Mirrors are not even alive, so they should not be "spawned". Finally, being able to clear spawn tiles sounds like a neat idea.
Why remove puzzle potential by excluding brains and waterskipper nests?
Good question. Nevermind my idea.
Why would monsters spawn facing southeast, of all directions, and why not the orientation of the monster that was imprinted?
Your idea is better.
Why would a fegundo clear a spawn plate but not an actual explosion?
Fegundoes are easier to control than explosions.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-14-2012 at 06:12 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Spawn Tiles (+1)  
I think the main thing I don't like about this idea is that a room that was cleared will become spontaneously uncleared. You can unclear a cleared room by cutting tarstuff to create a new stuffbaby, but that's your own action. (I suppose growing briar can also create a stuffbaby, but that still feels different than this, somehow.) There's something just a little off about the idea that if I clear a room and then just stand at the edge for several turns, it'll be de-cleared.

It also has the potential to cause all kinds of unintended solutions or backtracking problems, as people drop green doors and then leave and re-enter via exits the architect never wanted them to, but that's not an argument against the request itself.
06-14-2012 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
So have them stop spawning once a room is cleared.

06-14-2012 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Tahnan wrote:
I think the main thing I don't like about this idea is that a room that was cleared will become spontaneously uncleared. You can unclear a cleared room by cutting tarstuff to create a new stuffbaby, but that's your own action. (I suppose growing briar can also create a stuffbaby, but that still feels different than this, somehow.) There's something just a little off about the idea that if I clear a room and then just stand at the edge for several turns, it'll be de-cleared.
Actually, I'm not sure how this could happen. By the spec, the spawn tiles don't spawn anything by default. They only spawn something after being imprinted by a monster stepping on them. So, in an empty room, I don't think they'd generate anything. Please let me know if I missed something here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-14-2012 07:01 PM]
06-14-2012 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Spawn Tiles (+2)  
No, I'm pretty sure Tahnan's right.
e.g. Room with one roach and one spawn tile.
1. Roach steps on and imprints spawn tile
2. Kill roach - room cleared (you've killed the only monster)
3. Spawn tile keeps spawning roaches so the room becomes uncleared

Some possibilities:
1.(as Rheb says) Spawning stops when room is cleared
2. Spawning only occurs while the original monster (or a spawned monster) is present (alive).
3. You need to get out of the room while there are no monsters, or the room is unconquered
4. Spawn tiles have to be blocked with tarstuff/mirrors/briar or destroyed in order to stop them spawning.

I think that if these issues, and those Jatopian mentions, are resolved this could be quite a nice element.

[Last edited by Jacob at 06-14-2012 07:46 PM]
06-14-2012 at 07:41 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Oh, I thought Tahnan was talking about a situation where the player reenters a cleared room, as opposed to still being inside a pending-cleared room. That makes sense.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-14-2012 at 07:59 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Spawn Tiles (+2)  
Alternatively, an imprinted spawn tile could be treated as a monster, and you can kill the imprint with your sword.
06-14-2012 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I think I like MMM's idea best. Then you have some modicum of control over spawning.

But I think that if there is a monster over the spawn, the monster should be killed in the first move, and the imprint would remain.
06-15-2012 at 05:02 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spawn Tiles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com