Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Twice
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged

File: Twice.drh (2.4 MB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Twice (+1)  
For those curious, this thread was called "Terra Story" before. I decided to scratch that project because I didn't need another epic storyline that would never be done. I aimed lower now, and I present you Twice.

The first level is working, it's somewhat of a copy of Terra Story's first level on the Chapter 2 side, but with some changes; like an actual optional room for optimizers and a reward at the end, mostly a bit more stats, but also a "Did you know?" scroll with an interesting fact about the hold.

There will be a maximum of five levels, so five optional areas, and your keys will get wiped every level so you start fresh. There is no backtracking. The difficulty is mild. I'll attach a version without custom music at my third post for those who don't care about a 2.4mb hold.

[Last edited by Fang at 10-21-2010 09:49 PM]
10-10-2010 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: Terra Story (0)  
I don't get what I'm supposed to do in VeTerra. I've gotten everything except the stuff in 3S1E. Entering the pool just makes part of it crumble. Where do I go?
10-11-2010 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Edit: Null.

[Last edited by Fang at 10-21-2010 09:50 PM]
10-11-2010 at 03:44 AM
Fang

File: Twice Smaller.drh (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
This post has been edited because the information contain within was no longer relevant. Instead it's null, and serves only to host the smaller version without custom music.

[Last edited by Fang at 10-21-2010 09:52 PM]
10-12-2010 at 01:59 AM
Fang
icon Re: Twice (0)  
This post serves mainly as a "heads up" about a change in this RPG Architecture thread. You can see all the new cool beans in the first post.

10-21-2010 at 09:53 PM
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Twice (+1)  
I suppose someone should look into this; hopefully people don't think that this is another hold along the lines of my similarly-named regular DROD hold from a while back... :)

I don't really know what's most useful in testing a hold, but here are my general thoughts on what sticks out.

3S1E ends up not really being a decision, since I end up circling around pretty quickly.
4S: Wraithwing doesn't hold down pressure plate. Intentional? Didn't take key and health potion.
3S2E: Did this on my way out to get the hidden exit (or leave with an extra key for bonus score). There's not a whole lot of puzzle there.
Hidden exit: Made it out with 21 health. The exit is blocked; intentional? The reward would be nicer if the score checkpoint didn't kick in until after I'd gotten them, which would leave me at 421HP/21ATK and a score of 115. However, I ended up with 497HP/20ATK/1 yellow key going the other way, for a score of 122 due to the extra yellow key.

Overall, it's not hugely difficult, and I like the tight greckle supply, but it hasn't really distinguished itself from the other RPG holds yet.

10-30-2010 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Twice (0)  
I reached the end of the hidden exit with 22 health :)

It looks like even in the version with the music file attached, you don't have the music actually playing in the secret entrance to level 2 since there's no music with a "set music" command. Despite this, the music's .ogg file does indeed exist in the hold file to make the hold file larger.

==

At this point I'd like to request that no matter how interesting U. N. Owen was her? is, that you either remove it from the hold or replace it with some public-domain remix of a song from the Touhou series that needs more love, since I personally think U. N. Owen was her? is overused now and is inappropriate for a bonus room. You could possibly use "Crescent Dream" from Lotus Land Story as a suitable "reward" music, if it is somehow your divine mission to include Touhou music in a DROD hold.

I don't personally think it's really necessary to include any custom music in the hold from outside sources. If you make some of your own, then I would accept it as readily as I accepted Jeff_Ray's Spookswielder theme, which is to say, if it's good. :)

11-04-2010 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Twice (+1)  
I should also point out that a hefty fraction of us have music (or even all sound) turned off in favor of our extensive mp3 collections, and custom soundtracks aren't really something we're looking for. Unless, of course, it's something particularly remarkable like something you're performing yourself.

11-07-2010 at 12:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Twice
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com