Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (Our Official Contest for October)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged

File: Sample Games.hold (4.1 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (+5)  
Extraordinary and Noteworthy Announcement

The Everyone Eighth Games Commission is pleased to announce that funding has been procured to hold the first international Everyone Eighth Games, an event dedicated to the pursuits of excellence, leisure and amusement. While other competitions are restricted to freakishly gifted and talented people who spend unreasonable amounts of time training and preparing, the Everyone Eighth Games will be accessible to, and winnable by, anyone who has ever played a game of tag or a hand of cards. As the name says, these are the Games for everyone.

However, before the Games may commence, content is required. So the Commission is submitting a request to the architects of the Eighth asking them to create events worthy of inclusion in the Everyone Eighth Games. And, while the honour of having your proposed event included in the first international EEG should be enough, to further entice participation--and in the spirit of the Games--the Commission has decided to make the Games building process a contest in itself. The criteria, judging process and prizes for the contest can be found in the prospectus below.

Do monsters play games? Yes they do! Let the pre-Games games begin!

Note: there are several levels of sponsorship available at varying cost structures. Those interested in sponsorship opportunities should contact 1st Financial Administrator of the EEGC.

==============================================================

Everyone Eighth Games Game Submission Prospectus

Criteria
Using DROD, create a room-sized conquerable version of a board game, card game, video game, sports & leisure activity or any other everyday game. These can be adaptations of existing games or an original idea. The game must span a single room only. Some examples are attached. As with any good game, there should be a point to completing the room: a goal to be achieved beyond simply clearing a room of monsters.

Submissions
- Where: Submission topic
- Maximum number: three separate games
- Deadline: Local Time:10-25-2010 at 11:00 PM, in negative 700 weeks, 2 days

Judging Process
Once the submission process is complete, a poll will be set up in which each entry may be awarded up to ten points. Entries should be judged based on whether the room actually can be defined as an “everyone” game, leisure activity or sport, as well as on creativity, aesthetics, enjoyment and adherence to the spirit of the EEG principles of excellence, leisure and amusement. Architects should vote 10 for their own entries.

Prizes
First place: 100 points, a pick from the Prize Pile and a seat of honour at the Games
Second place: 50 points and a seat of honour at the Games
Third place: 25 points and a seat of honour at the Games

As well, and really the ultimate reward, each conquerable game (should its architect grant permission) will have the honour of being included in the Everyone Eighth Games.

[Last edited by noma at 10-04-2010 04:35 PM : added submission info]
10-04-2010 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (+1)  
Four questions. You will be graded on content and proper use of iambic pentameter.

1. For the purposes of this audience, wouldn't DROD be an everyday video game? Because I can totally build a rockin' DROD room.

2. Can we use RPG with its extra-fancy scripting, or is it DROD only?

3. You're just doing this to drum up interest in Rosebud, aren't you?

4. How many of these questions are serious?

10-04-2010 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
1. For the purposes of this audience, wouldn't DROD be an everyday video game? Because I can totally build a rockin' DROD room. -- The EEGC members can only assume this is an attempt at humour, but since they have never heard of this "DROD", the meta joke has flown over their heads. (But if you think it'll work, go for it.)

2. Can we use RPG with its extra-fancy scripting, or is it DROD only? -- Just DROD events this time. Maybe next time there will be RPG games for the Games (which I think would have to be multi-room) but those events will be judged separately.

3. You're just doing this to drum up interest in Rosebud, aren't you? -- Of course I am. Do you think it's working?

4. How many of these questions are serious? -- I'm pretty sure this is the only one.

[Last edited by noma at 10-04-2010 09:14 PM]
10-04-2010 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (+8)  
Im soooooo excited...getting to work right away, Thanks for this opportunity oh great "The Everyone Eighth Games Commission" and Commissioners.

10-09-2010 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
icon Re: The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (+2)  
There's just a week and a half left to get your submissions in. One room shouldn't be too difficult -- especially for this group -- so I'm hoping we're going to get a lot of entries. We've certainly got lots of inspiration around us: games, games, games everywhere. And just because something may already have been "Drodified", doesn't mean you might not do it better. Remember, it's not originality you're going to be judged on, but all that other stuff listed under "Judging." So let's see what you've got! The Committee is counting on you.
10-15-2010 at 04:14 AM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
I didn't know about this contest. I'm definitely in! I've got a great idea for this :D
10-21-2010 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
icon Re: The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (0)  
A reminder from the Commission: less than five days left to get your submissions in!
10-21-2010 at 04:39 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Whoa, thanks mrimer for pointing this out to me after my long time of being away.

I totally don't have time to spend DRODing, so I'll probably submit to this contest anyway. I could pick something up at the Gathering for Gardner tomorrow...

[Last edited by coppro at 10-21-2010 06:05 AM]
10-21-2010 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Point of clarification: although according to the criteria the game must span a single room only, if you'd rather not put an "end hold" staircase within the game room, I thought I should point out there is no rule against having an entrance and/or exit room.
10-22-2010 at 03:32 AM
noma
There's just over a day left: plenty of time to flesh out that idea you've been noodling over. We want to have a robust Everyman Eighth Games, and in order to have that, we need more game proposals. So get those designing brains, uh, designing, and let's build an Everyman Games that will be the envy of any other world's Everyman Games. (And just because that particular bar is not that high, that's no excuse for not trying. ;))
10-24-2010 at 04:56 PM
noma
Submission phase closed. You can download the entries and rate them from the contest poll thread.
10-25-2010 at 11:50 PM
noma
icon Re: The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (+3)  
The Everyman Eighth Games Commission has completed its voting and is pleased to announce that the winning architect is BoyBlue with Boulder Dungeon. In second place is vinheim with his entry Oracle of Seasons, closely followed by our third place architect techant, with her entry of Capture and Kill. Now that voting is complete and content available, the Commission will compile the entries and launch the Games. The only snag might be that we have just recently learned it could cost upwards of 100 million dollars for a stadium in which to hold the events. Did we mention that sponsorship opportunities are available at reasonable prices?

Prizes:
BoyBlue - 100 points and a pick from the Prize Pile
vinheim - 50 points
techant - 25 points

Architects, please post here if it's okay to use your entries in a compilation. Thank you.

[Last edited by noma at 11-03-2010 06:36 AM]
11-03-2010 at 06:35 AM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
I'm completely ok with my room being put up, but are we not allowed to change our room a tad bit? Or does it have to stay as is?
11-03-2010 at 10:12 AM
noma
I'll be setting up a thread in Architecture where you can post your rooms, so feel free to revise them to your liking. And if anyone else gets inspired with an idea, your contributions will be welcome.
11-03-2010 at 05:16 PM
Dischorran
Fine with me; the entry's good as is.

11-03-2010 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh god you know what's worse than playing Dischorran's entry?

Optimizing Dischorran's entry. (Which probably means playing it repeatedly.)
11-03-2010 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Tahnan wrote:

Yup. That's the brilliance of my design. Even when you know what's coming, you still play it.

11-03-2010 at 09:02 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Tahnan wrote:

Actually, not really. Optimizing it will be very easy.

EDIT: Also, you are cleared to include mine in a compilation if you really want to.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-04-2010 06:27 AM]
11-04-2010 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Techant, there's an unintended solution for your entry (Capture and kill) you may want to correct before a compilation is made.

You can just place a clone by the exit stairs and it tell you how great you are for completing the hold, then you can exit.

11-17-2010 at 09:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Everyman Eighth Games Architecture Contest (Our Official Contest for October)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com