Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Penwielder
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 628
IP: Logged

File: Copycat Contest Compilation.hold (47.3 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation (+3)  
This hold has been published.

The compilation of this.

Not much else to say here. Look over all stairways, make sure I didn't do anything really odd, and leave other comments if you like.

Participants: You can upload any modifications to your entries here. Be sure to tell me which rooms have changed (unless you really want me to replace the whole thing). You're also welcome to request modifications to your respective rooms in the hub level, within reasonable bounds.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 07-19-2011 03:08 PM]
04-10-2010 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation (+2)  
Penwielder wrote:
Not much else to say here.
There's plenty more to say here! This is The Single Greatest Topic of All Time! Hurrah!

04-10-2010 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation (0)  
Yay for the greatest topic of all time.

I've not looked through everything yet, but I do note that none of the "go to level entrance" scripting in my level works.
It all directs to "End hold" rather than the entrance to the particular room.

04-10-2010 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
This is the... :blush

I entirely forgot about that. At least this isn't a new forum game or something. In fact, a few of everyone's favorite authors are quite likely to be in here. Note the winners in the original topic, for starters.

Fixed your room descriptions, Jacob.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-10-2010 02:55 PM]
04-10-2010 at 02:53 PM
Jacob
Thanks.

Two more things:

When you complete Penwielder's level, you come out at the completion stairs for Doom's level (1N). Instead of 1N1W. So the hold's not completeable.

If you complete the entrance to Doom's level and re-enter it, the cutscene plays again, making the player inexplicably jump across to the other side of the room.

04-11-2010 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Fixed my own exit stairs.

Doom's cutscene is a little harder to deal with. I originally was going to leave it as it was, since that problem was in his original entry. For now, I've made sure the scripts end when you replay the room from the north, and I've blocked off the passage to the front of his entry with a sister door in the hub. It doesn't seem like the best solution, though.

Edit: Changes uploaded.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 04-11-2010 05:08 PM]
04-11-2010 at 05:07 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Penwielder wrote:
For now, I've made sure the scripts end when you replay the room from the north, and I've blocked off the passage to the front of his entry with a sister door in the hub. It doesn't seem like the best solution, though.
Scripts seem fine now.

You don't technically need the sister gate in the hub room, thanks to the already fixed scripts. Just move the level entrance a few tiles so it's not on a wall. First time in the level the script takes priority, later you just appear at the level entrance location - and passing through the room isn't any different without scripting.

edit:
Looking at the editor it looks like re-entering Penwielders entry forces you to restore due to the green sister gate in the room. Possible changes include green sister gate in the hub room, blue door in the entrance room, or some kind of scripted solution.

[Last edited by Doom at 04-11-2010 06:59 PM]
04-11-2010 at 06:52 PM
Penwielder
I moved your level's entrance to where the script would end, though facing north, since no goblin would then be present.

I also added the sister door to my own entry.

I hope Rheb posts a fix to his entrance at some point, and possibly 1N as well, though that's not nearly as critical. Techant's 2N1E could use a fix, too. I'm not aware of any other unintended solutions at this point, besides my 1N1W. If anyone still manages to do the latter by warping out of the room with a clone, please let me know.

04-11-2010 at 10:52 PM
Penwielder
I forgot about this thing. I really should get it out there.

The main thing holding me back is that I suddenly realized at some point that I would need permission from each participant to include h(is/er) entry, and I never got around to asking for it. So, uh, I'm asking. You can post here or PM me with that. If anyone still wants to fix unintended solutions, go ahead and post the new version here (like me, you've probably just forgotten).

Since there have been no further comments, I'm assuming the hold is properly completable--I can't do it myself because I still haven't solved all the rooms.

I'm looking forward to the next illumination due to this topic, as well, but that's beside the point.

08-19-2010 at 06:36 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908

File: COPYCAT larrymurk.hold (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
Here's the reworked version of my entry.

I hope we get all the entries.
08-20-2010 at 01:02 PM
Jacob
I thought all the entries were worth playing, so I hope this gets released.

You can use my level. I have a quick look later to see if there were any things that needed changing, but I think I was happy with it as it was.

Edit: Actually, can you put a red door tile over the end of the fuse, and a west facing arrow over the one trapdoor in 2N in my level (Copycat Cavern). This forces the player to enter the central area.

[Last edited by Jacob at 08-20-2010 06:28 PM]
08-20-2010 at 06:08 PM
Penwielder
Larry: DROD says this is identical to the fix you posted in the contest topic, which is what is in the compilation hold.

Jacob: Interesting unintended solution there. It's fixed now.

EDIT: I'm unable to remove the old version at the top, so I'm attaching the new one here.

[Last edited by Penwielder at 08-21-2010 05:36 PM]
08-21-2010 at 05:35 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211

File: Copycat - Rheb.hold (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
icon Re: Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation (+2)  
Here's my updated copycat entry.

(With references to Doom) :P

11-15-2010 at 04:53 PM
Penwielder
Thanks, Rheb! I've put it in. The new version is in the first post of the topic. The only thing I'm waiting on now is permission to use techant's entry. With that, I'll be able to submit.

11-16-2010 at 01:12 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Copycat 2010 Contest Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com