Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Flight of the Fegundo (Player role fegundo hold)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged

File: Flight_of_the_Fegundo_v8.hold (52.5 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Flight of the Fegundo (+4)  
For the last few weeks, I have been experimenting with player role fegundo. Right now I have one main level and a tutorial level ready for testing.

Update:
New version: added a new level, some changes in previous levels, added some lighting.

Update 2:
I added a new level, there are now four including the tutorial. This will be the last update with new puzzles, but I plan to add at least one more room about the end of a fegundo's journey.

Update 3:
Hopefully the last one, the edit privelege is set as 'You and Masterers'. I removed the secret in Flight School but added a new one in a different level, along with a few changes to the Jungle level. I also added an ending cutscene.

Update 4:
Probably the last version. I fixed the unintended solutions and made other changes.

Update 5:
Added another secret, should be easy to find. Also changed the other secret rooms.

Update 6:
Overhaul of the Jungle Heat secret room, plus a few minor changes.

Update 7:
Final version. Fixed a spelling mistake and made decorative changes.

[Last edited by brian_s at 09-11-2009 10:56 PM]
08-10-2009 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (+2)  
This is great! I love the Fegundo PR and all the puzzle territory it opens up. It must be about the most different to Beethro you can get! Anyways, some comments:

Click here to view the secret text

All in all, this is a fun, well-designed first level with a hearty mix of lynchpins and 'how-do-I-do-that's. My only suggestion - for the first level and the tutorial - would be to spruce up the aesthetics a bit with lighting, weather effects etc.

Thanks, though, for a fun 10 minutes playing this through :)

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 08-10-2009 09:52 AM : Going green]
08-10-2009 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (+1)  
Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased that you like it so much. I do plan to add lighting and effects, but after I get the puzzles made and tested.
08-10-2009 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (0)  
Welp, guess that about kills the hope of ever having consistent player roles.

08-10-2009 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
I'm not going to comment on the puzzles (yet, I'll do it once the hold is finished) I'm just going to list bugs and unintended solutions.

Flight school

Level 1

This is great fegondo hold! (I think it is the only) I love the fact that you're invincible! However, being invincible give loads oflimits to puzzles but opens paths to new ones! I expect LOTS from this hold. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-10-2009 10:02 PM]
08-10-2009 at 09:24 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Chaosgamer wrote:
You should also mention that if you place a fegondo clone on a pressure plate than the clone will activate it.
No, he shouldn't, as that is a bug that will be patched in the next official version of TCB.

EDIT: Or should be, anyways, since the intention that clones should always sync their flying attribute with the player. But that hasn't been working too well in the current beta patches yet....

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 08-11-2009 12:21 AM]
08-11-2009 at 12:16 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (-1)  
what did I say about consistency in player roles tfmurphy

08-11-2009 at 12:27 AM
brian_s
TFMurphy wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote:
You should also mention that if you place a fegondo clone on a pressure plate than the clone will activate it.
No, he shouldn't, as that is a bug that will be patched in the next official version of TCB.

EDIT: Or should be, anyways, since the intention that clones should always sync their flying attribute with the player. But that hasn't been working too well in the current beta patches yet....

In the tutorial I placed a scroll warning about switching clones while one is over a hot tile. If the pressure plate behavior changes, I suspect the hot tile behavior would change too.

I don't have any puzzles based on these yet, but now I am thinking that if I do exploit those behaviors that a change could render a room unsolvable.
08-11-2009 at 02:07 AM
brian_s
New version, see first post.
08-13-2009 at 02:55 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've mastered this one. It's pretty fun experimenting with all the unfamiliar and quirky behavior of the fegundo player role. I like the little bits of story that are starting to appear, especially being treated as a "wild animal" on the second level. :)

Flight School

Icy Beginnings

Unsafe Shelter

08-16-2009 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
New version, see top post.

Also, I would like to add a fegundo avatar instead of Beethro's face. I remember seeing instructions somewhere on the forum but I can't find them. Could someone give me a link, please.
08-19-2009 at 03:10 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I don't remember where the post was, but I can tell you how to do it, assuming you've already made your own fegundo avatar that's ready to go.

1. Click on any NPC in your hold.
2. Click on the Characters button in the upper right corner.
3. Add a new character... how about Freddy Fegundo?
4. Under "Graphic" choose Fegundo. Not sure why it says graphic there though. This gives your character the properties of a fegundo.
5. Under Avatar, you see Beethro's face, because that is the default avatar for a fegundo. Click on Custom Avatar, double click the Import Image line, and browse to the fegundo avatar you made. The image size should be 130x164 pixels. You can also import custom tiles for your character, but I think the default fegundo tiles are plenty good enough here.

6. Once you've made your custom character, Freddy Fegundo, you need to change all your Player role commands. Everywhere you've got "Player role Fegundo" you need to have "Player role Freddy Fegundo".

08-19-2009 at 03:42 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
And now I've played the new version. :)

Flight School

Icy Beginnings

Unsafe Shelter

Welcome to the Jungle

08-19-2009 at 06:32 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Playing slowly. In Flight School 2N, you might want an open green gate at the western entrance, to keep people from leaving to the west; if you exit west, you can't actually progress.
08-19-2009 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
New version, see top post.

CSR, thanks for the avatar instructions. I got it in just fine.
08-22-2009 at 01:39 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: FotF Welcome to the Jungle 2N Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
That is simply a wonderful fegundo avatar. :)

Very nice ending as well.

After doing nearly the exact same thing in the new Welcome to the Jungle secret room, I suspect I'm doing something unintended in Welcome to the Jungle 2N. My demo is attached.

Let me know if you'd like to see demos for other rooms.
08-22-2009 at 07:01 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Played the tutorial and the first 2 levels - which are all great.
One mistake so far though - it's "Ephelna", for the hold entrance text (assuming you mean the Eighth continent).

08-22-2009 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Fegundo_Test.hold (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Thanks for that demo, CSR. I don't know how such a simple solution kept escaping me.

Rather than make a main hold update right away, I decided to post a test hold for Jungle 2N and the secret.

I am fine with the one aumtlich solution for 2N, but my intended solution for the secret requires both aumtlich alive when the eye is killed.
08-23-2009 at 01:29 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Playing around with the new rooms led me to find a new class of one-aumtlich solutions for both of these rooms.

08-23-2009 at 04:51 AM
brian_s
At least this time the fix is easy, I can just add a water tile in front of the eye.
08-23-2009 at 02:33 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: FT Jungle rooms 1W Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Okay, pretending the tile in front of the eye is water, here is what I do in the secret test room. I use both aumtlich, but only one is alive when I kill the eye.
08-24-2009 at 03:03 AM
brian_s
I found that unintended solution when I was making changes to address your previous post, but thanks anyway.

With all that you have done, I decided to dedicate the secret room to you.
08-24-2009 at 03:16 AM
Jacob
Not yet completed the last level, but thought it might be worth pointing out a little aesthetic point.

You've marked off the tiles around the the edge of the pools where the waterskippers can get you in a couple of rooms in the 2nd level, but you've missed out the diagonals. Is this intentional, cos it's kind of misleading?

Otherwise, it's all pretty great so far. (Not the biggest fan of the stalwart-golem manipulation room but it's hard to say what could be changed).

08-25-2009 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit

File: FT Jungle rooms 1W Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Is this what I was supposed to do in the secret room? If it's not, I'm out of ideas, and will need some help finding the intended solution. EDIT: Actually with a little tweak, I can still kill one aumtlich before the eye and the other after. Replaced demo with new one.

To prevent my previous solution and (I think) enforce this one, you might move the "arrow of no return" one square southwest in addition to adding the water tile.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-26-2009 06:00 PM]
08-26-2009 at 07:30 AM
brian_s
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Is this what I was supposed to do in the secret room? If it's not, I'm out of ideas, and will need some help finding the intended solution. EDIT: Actually with a little tweak, I can still kill one aumtlich before the eye and the other after. Replaced demo with new one.

To prevent my previous solution and (I think) enforce this one, you might move the "arrow of no return" one square southwest in addition to adding the water tile.

That was very clever, but it is still not my intended solution. I think I have blocked all your recent solutions by adding water in front of the eye, a second broken wall north of the first and orthosquares on both broken wall segments.

My intended solution involves

Jacob, I added the dirt tiles back to the corners. Aestetically, I thought it looked better without. But I think you are right about it being a little misleading. I will wait for your input about the last level before I upload version 5.
08-27-2009 at 03:09 AM
Jacob
I will wait for your input about the last level before I upload version 5.

Sorry, I've not had so much time lately to play DROD at all, so please don't let me hold up the hold.

What I've played of the last level I like.
Did I do 1N right?

In Entrance, 37,28 is a tile on the room edge through which it is not possible to exit. Intentional? Furthermore, the first part of the speech keeps playing if you re-enter, without having stepped on the power token (to go on to the next part).

08-27-2009 at 11:27 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: FT Jungle rooms 1W Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Hmmmm... this?

Not sure how a second square of broken wall will make me do this and not the solution attached to my previous post.

08-28-2009 at 03:15 AM
brian_s
New version, see first post

CSR: The second broken wall is in the square north of the first one, also both have orthosquares on them now.

Jacob: That is the intended solution for 1N. I also plugged the hole, I did not know it was even there.
08-29-2009 at 01:13 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
brian_s wrote:
CSR: The second broken wall is in the square north of the first one, also both have orthosquares on them now.
As mentioned above, that doesn't stop me from doing this again. But is it really worth stopping that solution. It's certainly not a trivial solution.

Except for Jungle 2N (which was easy to replay) and this room, all my other demos survived the changes.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-29-2009 06:30 PM : removed demo]
08-29-2009 at 04:09 AM
brian_s
Your solution is about as hard as my intended solution, so I'll just leave it at this point.

Could I see how you handled the Unsafe Shelter secret room. Looking at your earlier post about it, I think you solved that one differently, too.
08-29-2009 at 02:05 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Flight of the Fegundo (Player role fegundo hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com