Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Non-Deadly Explosions around Tarstuff
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
IP: Logged
icon Non-Deadly Explosions around Tarstuff (0)  
Not sure if this is an intended consequence of the rules, but it seems strange enough to post.

If _Explosion is set to a value less than 100, or to a negative value that is less than the health of the produces tarstuff babies, then when the explosion removes tarstuff, any babies produced during the square-by-square removal procedure will survive the explosion.

Square-by-square removal is done from the top-left corner of the explosion and works down each column in turn. As a result, the babies left by the explosion are always from those squares that have an empty square to their S, E or SE. So a Tar Blob that looks like this:

TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
        O~~~

...may end up looking like this:

TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
TTTTT  b
TTTTT  b
TTTTTbbb

This is, of course, a natural consequence of the described code, but the resultant 'baby patterns' seem unintuitive.

I can think of three possibilities for dealing with this:
(1) Leave as is.
(2) Delay baby generation until *after* the explosion is done.
(3) Cause any tar hit by an explosion to become a damaged baby instead.

I'll note that tarstuff destruction occurs even if it was part of a Tar Mother -- if a bomb explodes a square that the Mother itself was on, then the tarstuff underneath is removed and the Mother gets damaged as normal.

Anyways, comments and opinions welcome.

08-07-2009 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Non-Deadly Explosions around Tarstuff (0)  
I'd vote for option 3.
08-07-2009 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I'd vote for option 2 - the equivalent situation in DROD would just remove a rectangular block of tar and generate no tar babies at all, so that's what I'd expect to happen here too.

08-07-2009 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
Option 2 seems good for me. I'd like it to be like DROD.
08-07-2009 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Option 2 does feel the most intuitive--due to playing DROD, I'm sure, which always has 100% bombs.

I see some challenge potential with option 3, but would prefer option 2 be enacted.

08-07-2009 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Option 3 seems the most reasonable to me: when working with a 100% bomb, the tar will act exactly as in DROD, since every generated baby is immediately killed. It doesn't seem reasonable that a weak bomb should utterly destroy tarstuff yet leave babies alive, especially since congealed tar is presumably stronger defense-wise (can only be cut in particular ways) than tar babies.

08-07-2009 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Option 2 makes the most sense to me.

08-09-2009 at 12:54 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
Fix submitted to SVN. (29/12/10)

Due to TCB suffering from similar problems and unintuitiveness, it seems that Option 2 is really the only logical choice. I've posted a proposed TCB patch here, which should be relatively easy to convert for RPG.

Oh, and RPG highlights the problem well even without setting _Explosion to something different. Similar to the example in the TCB thread, create the following room:
 /\
DTTD      D = Decoy
 TT       O = Bomb
 TT       T = Tar
  O       /\ = Swords with Tar underneath

If you set the bomb off, only one baby will survive: the one under the western sword. Nothing will spawn at all under the eastern sword, because that Decoy is still alive when the tar becomes unstable. Also, you will see damage numbers for all the created babies that were destroyed this turn. In the room's current configuration, 5 babies will be created and 4 of those will be killed. If you reflect the room vertically, then only 4 babies will be created with 3 of those killed.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 12-29-2010 01:46 AM]
11-09-2010 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Non-Deadly Explosions around Tarstuff
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com