Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3407
IP: Logged

File: The Good the Bad and the Ugly compilation fixed.hold (37.8 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (+2)  
I'm ever so sorry, but as promised, here's a beta version of the compilation hold for the eponymous unofficial contest. This contains a single-room hub with stairs to each of the contest entries. The clearing of each entry is tracked by scripting, and a door opens in the hub each time an entry is cleared, ultimately opening a path to the exit. Story is minimal - after all, the focus should be on the entries. I've played it through start to finish, so it's completable, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the scripting's bulletproof.

It would probably be a good idea for contestants to check over their rooms to make sure nothing went awry in the copying.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 07-31-2009 05:37 AM]
07-17-2009 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (+1)  
Mine seem to be fine. And that hub room! Beethro says exactly what I was thinking when I first saw it.
07-17-2009 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (0)  
Yuck. I've played through this horrendous thing. Now I need to brush my teeth. Or something.

If this atrocity comes anywhere near the Holds board, be warned that I plan to rate it a "1" and dump tons of negative karma on it.
Click here to view the secret text

07-20-2009 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626

File: Chacos The Good the Bad and the Ugly compilation.hold (36.6 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation (+2)  
Following what I mentioned earlier in the contest thread, and a discussion with Dischorran earlier...

Attached here is a modified version of the hold at the top of the hold. I've added a duplicate version of every level, which should play exactly the same - any solution demo to the original "ugly" room will work exactly the same and solve the room in the new version, and in general none of the room behavior is changed.

It's telling that exactly two (maybe three) of the rooms actually look halfway decent cleaned up (mine, noma's, and possibly AlternatePuzzles' as a stretch), while the rest are pretty much lost causes no matter what I do. This is probably reflective of each of our design philosophies; as I mentioned earlier I pretty much just made a regular puzzle and then made it ugly, while I think everyone else concentrated on making a room ugly, then put a puzzle in the room.

Anyhow, I think some of this material might be interesting to Dischorran, or other people.

07-21-2009 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Cool! That's worth emptying out my mod points pile, such as it is (why do people keep modding me down??? :D).

07-21-2009 at 03:43 AM
Dischorran
I've transferred the prettified rooms to my copy and wired the entrances appropriately - this version's up top now. Chaco's stuff is all unrequired postmastery content, accessible by a new stairway in the hub. Hopefully everyone's OK with having their entries modified in this section.

Fair warning: I've worked up everything as per the original version, so it *should* all work, but I haven't done an entire playthrough of the new hold yet. I'll update this post appropriately once that happens.

07-21-2009 at 04:59 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Hmmmm... I wouldn't say the new postmastery rooms work exactly the same as the regular contest entries.

Most notably:

In the modified version of VIPCOOL's entry, the inability to take the platform from (3,9) to an east pointing tunnel at (1,13), which then takes me to the west tunnel at (6,13), cuts off my fast solution to this room. Certainly the room is still solvable, but definitely not the same.

In the modified version of The Stew Boy's entry, the conversion of obstacles to walls makes more places where seep can go. The new inability to pass a seep at (22,12) cuts off one of several paths through the room.

And a minor nitpick:

There was something very nice about the "ugly" pits in noma's second entry: their pattern made it easy to count squares for the roach queen timing part of the puzzle. In the "neat" version, counting squares is harder.
07-26-2009 at 11:20 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
All I can really say to the above is "Oops, I didn't realize that."

I'll try to weasel out of fixing any of this stuff by deferring to Dischorran, to see if he thinks anything is worth fixing, and if so, how. (It was a real pain to work on the two winners.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-26-2009 09:38 PM]
07-26-2009 at 09:37 PM
Dischorran
I'll take another look at VIPCOOL's and Stew Boy's levels to fix them up. As for noma's, using dark tiles on oremites seems standard these days, so I'll probably just do that.

07-26-2009 at 10:07 PM
Dischorran
New version posted, with the relevant issues hopefully corrected and with a full playthrough (finally). I'm still not entirely convinced Stew Boy's deuglified entry is quite right, but it's certainly closer.

07-30-2009 at 01:26 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
So now my solutions for the "ugly" rooms seem to work for the "neat" rooms too, which is what you intended.

While it's cool to look at the "neat" vs "ugly" rooms, I can't say that actually punching in the same solutions twice is very much fun. It was more interesting looking for unintentional differences. :|

Bleach Storehouse now has an inaccessible room 1E.
07-30-2009 at 08:25 AM
Dischorran
Whoops. I put that there to make checking my work easier and forgot to remove it. EDIT: It's gone now in the new version posted above.

As for not being much fun, well, it *is* just post-mastery content. I suppose I could hack a return doorway into the rooms and make them non-highscorable if people feel strongly that they're too annoying.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 07-31-2009 05:37 AM]
07-30-2009 at 03:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com