Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemastery Recap (Will you help me find my sword?)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smitemastery Recap (+1)  
Welcome back! I became active on this forum after you left, but thoroughly enjoyed struggling all the way through Bavato's Dungeon. :)
agaricus5 wrote:
But, I still have Golbar's Caves somewhere and I will probably send it to Architecture at some point. I am not sure I particularly want the hassle of Smitemasters' Selection, especially since I already have a storyline arc (I don't want to tread on the canon if I can avoid it!) and seriously want to avoid the disaster that was releasing Bavato's Dungeon. Watch this space!
I do a lot of beta testing and would love to try out your new project, whether you choose to post it in Architecture or on a beta board.
02-06-2009 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Smitemastery Recap (+3)  
Ha/hah/, awesome, agaricus's back.

Anyway tl;dr there was some hilarious drama, some of which I wasn't even responsible for.

Erik's new thing is morality-by-cell-phone.
No, I'm not kidding.

Mike's adoration for some random indie freeware game evolved into a DROD spinoff. He also basically runs CaravelGames now. Schik is the new Guy In The Basement. (TM)

Orb puzzles became passe and trite, as did monster horde puzzles.

It's all about the bizarre lynchpins these days.

Larrymurk made more holds about snakes. Samuel L. Jackson was unavailable for comment.

Nobody ever actually did find out what was going on with the Riddle of those pieces of paper that JtRH beta testers got, and Erik never explained any of it.

02-06-2009 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Hey, nice to have you back, Wesley!

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

02-07-2009 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Smitemastery Recap (0)  
Kwakstur wrote:
Lately, I have been working on some music inspired mostly by TCB and somewhat by JtRH. But at only 12 measures, it's FAR from complete, and the instrumentation right now is questionable. But I thought I'd share it in response to yours.

ahaha it's a midi, it

wait

this is actually well done

oh god I don't understand anything anymore
02-07-2009 at 12:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Banjooie wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
Lately, I have been working on some music inspired mostly by TCB and somewhat by JtRH. But at only 12 measures, it's FAR from complete, and the instrumentation right now is questionable. But I thought I'd share it in response to yours.

ahaha it's a midi, it

wait

this is actually well done

oh god I don't understand anything anymore
Edit: Actually, the below may not be relevant! After all, it may be that the above post is of the form "Man, that guy's being dumb sarcastic. As usual."

The actual MIDI format doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the music; it just tells the computer/sequencer which notes are to be played and when. It's the instrumental sounds used in playback that determine quality.

Ensembles are exactly the same - the sheet music can only determine what the music is, while it is the players and their insruments that determine exactly what the music sounds like.

I agree that many MIDI files will not sound very nice on many computers as the built-in musical capabilities of standard soundcards can be reasonably bad. But this is why electronic compositions generally need to be recorded from their sources, since every sound card and keyboard (or synthesizer) will have different instrument sounds of different "quality".

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-07-2009 07:52 PM]
02-07-2009 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Hola amigo! It's been a while, huh? You remember me, right? Jeff_Ray? That kid with that hold Beethro's Roach?

Maybe not, but if you do, I gotta say I've changed a great lot since you last left. I'm not so impatient anymore, and I managed to get some holds through the Holds Administrators (a new system that was inserted to filter the holds). You can find the names in my signature.

Also, I'm currently working on some RPG projects, Test Of Mind and Invasion of the Critters, and a new TCB hold: "Homeward Adventure". Check them out if you want to.

And... I've also stopped being very ambitious on hold-making. My biggest project up to date is Homeward Adventure, and I wasn't even keeping track of the levels! Also, I try to avoid doing multiple projects at once, but yeah, it's pretty much inevitable. But I did an effort to avoid doing too much at once. (I only have three projects going on at this time).

So... welcome back among us!

~Jeff_Ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-07-2009 01:31 PM]
02-07-2009 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Jeff_Ray's back.

This is good.
Or is it.
Are they attempting to lower our guard
So they can strike,
or just trying to confuse us?

02-10-2009 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I prefer a ninja shuriken style death slash theory.

02-10-2009 at 10:42 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Smitemastery Recap (+3)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Wow; I hadn't realised you were a doctor! I am impressed; on the one hand helping people through practicing medicine, on the other, protecting Eighthers through smiting evil dungeon creatures. :P

Hmm, yes. And in both situations my efforts are being thwarted by a large, unwieldy, dysfunctional bureaucratic machine.

And I shall use this opportunity to link to:
a spoof advert for my medical school, an advert for the NHS and a lecture on cost-cutting in the NHS. (I'm in one of these)

[Last edited by Jacob at 02-13-2009 02:33 PM]
02-13-2009 at 02:32 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Welcome back, Wesley.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-13-2009 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Welcome back, Neil.

:)

02-13-2009 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Welcome back, Matt. :)

What?

02-13-2009 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Welcome back, all of you.

PS. We need more active admins ;)

02-13-2009 at 03:23 PM
agaricus5
Jacob wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Wow; I hadn't realised you were a doctor! I am impressed; on the one hand helping people through practicing medicine, on the other, protecting Eighthers through smiting evil dungeon creatures. :P

Hmm, yes. And in both situations my efforts are being thwarted by a large, unwieldy, dysfunctional bureaucratic machine.
Heh. I can imagine the first bureaucracy; could someone explain the second? I have read the posts in most threads, and I have to say that I am confused about what has been going on down at the Bureaucracy boards. I do gather, though, that I have missed some rather ugly scenes in its development, which surprise me somewhat.

And I shall use this opportunity to link to:
a spoof advert for my medical school...
I have to say LOL to that. No nonsense indeed!

...an advert for the NHS...
Hmm. Yes. While the point the video argues for is debatable, I'd say that anyone who thinks we shouldn't have an NHS may not realise what they are asking for or are being somewhat selfish. After all, making our two-tiered system even more disparate will not be in the best interests of anybody who cannot afford private treatment (which I would imagine is most of the population).

Of course, our system is in desperate need of an improvement (I hear the red tape you'll face as a doctor can be quite a challenge to deal with), but we should all be fortunate that we have such a system in the UK.

...and a lecture on cost-cutting in the NHS. (I'm in one of these)
I love measure #2; brilliant! Instant, fool-proof and pre-emptive diagnosis, with the added benefit of reducing wastage of various resources, e.g. electricity and X-ray film.

Tim wrote:
Welcome back, all of you.
It seems like I'm not the only person who has reappeared recently. Am I part of a coincidental influx arc of some kind? Or has this phenomenon been happening at a steady rate for quite some time? In any case, welcome back as well!

02-13-2009 at 04:47 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
agaricus5 wrote:
coincidental influx arc

See, this is why I love this forum.
Welcome back.

02-13-2009 at 05:25 PM
agaricus5
mxvladi wrote:
2. DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale(note: this is quite different from usual DROD)
I have just discovered the TT demo and I have to say, I'm really impressed with how the DROD concept and turn-based RPG have been fused together. It almost feels like DROD, but I have to repress the urge to smite everything I see!

I think I'll get my grubby mitts on the full version too, but I think I'll play more TCB first so I actually understand what everyone's going on about (what's a Stalwart?). As a newbie with nearly zero TCB time (or maybe it's just me), I just find the story quite confusing!

But actually, please don't spoil the story for me. I'll probably understand everything better sooner or later.

02-13-2009 at 09:05 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Playing TCB first is a good idea storywise :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-13-2009 09:36 PM]
02-13-2009 at 09:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Schik wrote:
Welcome back, Neil.

:)
I never left the forums...I just haven't been posting (although I did edit a post the other day). I still check every other day at least. Of course, I only check 10 or so of the various sub-forums. Someone else always beats me to getting rid of a spammer or deleting a beta board.
Tim wrote:
PS. We need more active admins ;)
If you say so. This is still one of the most well-behaved communities on the Net. Or maybe there's wild and crazy stuff going on in the Contests board, which I wouldn't know about since I haven't checked it in over 2 years, at least.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-13-2009 at 10:37 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
They've already held 2 Mardi Gras and a Vegas Snuffalo. And they haven't cleaned up yet. I wouldn't go back if I were you.

02-14-2009 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Wesley! Welcome back!

That's really all I have to say. I think I've posted more today than I did total in the past two months....been dealing with another community and been working on setting up a game server for a very niche game for the past couple of weeks.

02-14-2009 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Happy Snugglefest, folks!

02-14-2009 at 02:56 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
agaricus5 wrote:
Heh. I can imagine the first bureaucracy; could someone explain the second? I have read the posts in most threads, and I have to say that I am confused about what has been going on down at the Bureaucracy boards. I do gather, though, that I have missed some rather ugly scenes in its development, which surprise me somewhat.

Actually, the analogy I'm making is between the NHS (that I deal with everyday) and The Rooted Empire (that Beethro encounters in JtRH and TCB).
Not the Caravel forum.

Incidentally, those videos (and other ones on that youtube account) were made by a friend of mine. We wrote a number of sketches together (several not uploaded), but some of these are purely his work/work in collaboration with other friends.

02-14-2009 at 11:56 PM
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
Welcome back, Bavato's Dungeon is still one of the most evil holds ever created. Kudos for that.

Been gone myself, so thanks for the recap in this thread.

02-21-2009 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Krissan wrote:
Welcome back, Bavato's Dungeon is still one of the most evil holds ever created. Kudos for that.
Heh. Well, if you want to do some alpha-testing for me, you are very welcome; I still need a third playtester for Golbar's Caves.

02-21-2009 at 09:51 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Wesley, its great to hear about your progress in education. I always knew you were a really smart guy, and I'm glad to see you're making the most of it.

-Erik

02-24-2009 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Wesley, its great to hear about your progress in education. I always knew you were a really smart guy, and I'm glad to see you're making the most of it.

-Erik
Whoa! It's Erik himself! :Notworthy

I... really... don't know what to say.

But really, thanks for stopping by to welcome me back. I was sad to hear that you'd left, but hope your project is going well. My father recently was working in the mobile phone industry for Motorola, so what you are doing is interesting to me. If you can find a good way to program your software to be compatible and distributable with as many phones as possible, it could definitely work!

I'll remain here in Cambridge for at least three years, although I'm interested in sandwiching my clinical years with a PhD. It would be three more years, but an unmissable opportunity to do some serious medical research if I can get accepted onto the scheme! Let me know if there are any biological Eighther phenomena that need investigating; I'm sure I could work something out for you. :)

And again, thanks to everyone for all the help in getting back into the DRODistic swing of things. The forum is still the pleasant, dynamic place it used to be and I can't believe it's only been two and a half weeks since I got back.

I also think I should upgrade my coincidental magnet. Clearly it seems to be working well at attracting absent DRODers. :w00t

02-24-2009 at 12:29 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Now, I don't do this often, but I feel it's necessary.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
(hugs Erik)

02-24-2009 at 12:38 AM
zwetschenwasser
*awkwardly shakes Erik's hand like the guy that knows other people that love the guy but doesn't know the guy himself so incredibly well as to hug and go crazy over*

02-25-2009 at 10:00 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Smitemastery Recap (Will you help me find my sword?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com