Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Page 3 of 8
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1304
IP: Logged

File: Someone Elses Fetch The Pie.drh (94.2 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+4)  
Okay, so here's the hold with inventory script built in. I made modifications in (always in the bottom right corner):
Zeroth Level: The Entrance
Inventory (obviously)
First Interlude: The Entrance
Second Level: 7N
Third level: 1S 3E

I don't have time right now to play through and make sure it all works, but I tested it a little bit and it should work fine. Just make the Inventory level look nice, because right now it doesn't. If you need any further help implementing it, just ask. Also, you might want to put some scrolls in telling people that it won't work in those areas that I've turned it off in.
03-21-2009 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (0)  
!!!

So that's what the "Equipment Enable" and "Equipment Disable" commands are for (besides doing that to the other three equipments). Can't believe I overlooked something that easy.

Well, thanks. That should pretty much do it. I'll clean things up and make a new version of the hold sometime soon with the inventory fully incorporated into the hold.

03-21-2009 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
A new version of the hold has been uploaded!

Someone Else's inventory system is in. The sword slots left around the levels are out. The inventory system is selectively disabled in some rooms where I really don't want the player arbitrarily disarming and rearming himself; those areas are pointed out with scrolls and sound cues.

Also, a few areas have been touched up, particularly one armory which I forgot to add a clue to.

Basically this is a cosmetic update; if you don't feel like updating from the older version earlier today you won't have missed much.

03-22-2009 at 12:45 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Yay! An inventory! Granted, I'll have to replay the hold yet again, but that's a small price to pay ;)
03-22-2009 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
I've reached the end. Do you want me to try and get all items I left behind?

Nice story, by the way. I really pity the poor goblins. Vincent starts to feel less and less like a hero ;)

Edit: Also: Noooo! Hot-tiles have made an apearance in the hold. I found it quite comfortable to be able to pick up every potion whenever I found it.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-22-2009 06:15 PM]
03-22-2009 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ShadowTiger
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Absolutely lovely quest. :) I am enjoying it immensely.

I'm currently wandering through the first Interlude, completely bedazzled even thinking about how hard it must have been to come up with all of those puzzles.

In fact, I'm quite stuck on the serpent / bomb puzzle. Very ingenious. I can rotate the Mimic, sure, but he always ends up in the lower left area of where he could go. I assume he has to end up in the upper half of his little snake area to survive the bomb blast? Any tips, please? :)
04-12-2009 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
ShadowTiger wrote:
In fact, I'm quite stuck on the serpent / bomb puzzle. Very ingenious. I can rotate the Mimic, sure, but he always ends up in the lower left area of where he could go. I assume he has to end up in the upper half of his little snake area to survive the bomb blast? Any tips, please? :)

The mimic doesn't have to survive the bomb blast - as you'll notice, the bomb blast covers the entire serpent area.

However, you do need to open all the doors in front of the hand bomb before you head to the Southwest corner, which involves hitting both of the orbs in your area. Then you can light the fuse and the third door will open with the explosion.

Blondbeard wrote:
Also: Noooo! Hot-tiles have made an apearance in the hold. I found it quite comfortable to be able to pick up every potion whenever I found it.

Heh. Yeah, I basically added those to be an additional challenge that are completely optional and out of the way. It's basically a moderate reward for setting things up so you have low HP at some point, so you can grab the potion with minimal HP loss, and then grab all the health left behind, and then perhaps do it again later.

So, yeah, you can basically keep playing the same way you've been playing all this time (picking up health as soon as you get to it) if you're willing to essentially ignore two large, shiny health potions :)

I doubt I'll feature hot tiles anywhere in this bit of the hold wherein you *must* tread over them, or are even a viable option - they're liable to be out of the way and ignorable, just as these two are now. (As for Aumtlich, your other concern, due to story reasons they probably won't be showing up yet.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-12-2009 02:46 PM]
04-12-2009 at 02:40 PM
ShadowTiger
Rank Points: 12
lol, thank goodness. Those things are crazy. :P

I love the artistic look of the Goblins' area, as well as the area joining with the rattlesnake. It feels like the lobby of some Manhattan-bound corporate office building and lounge. .. and then there's lava. Yeah. ..hehe. XD

Very clever use of the orbs and the mimic on that one puzzle though. I am growing rapidly concerned that I am unable to strike the orbs at my current power level, (57.) although I don't think it's based on that. I think I'm on an unpatched Tendrys' Tale. He really should be able to hit the orb from the position and angle I move him into. It's very strange.
04-12-2009 at 06:39 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Tendry requires a sword to use an orb. Perhaps you're bumping into them?

04-12-2009 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
I just (finally) got to the temporary hold stairs, after several months of on and off attempts.

The thing that allowed me to get there was inventory abuse. There were several puzzles (trapdoors, tarstuff cutting) that were made easier by dropping the sword temporarily. Maybe it's that I am no good at playing RPG, but I couldn't manage to get through the fifth level without using this technique.

Also, I think I lost my inventory for a bit, after using the grappling hook in a room where you take the inventory away. Not sure though. It came back after I went to the title screen.

I think I just feel glad to get through the hold.

05-21-2009 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+1)  
Be that as it may, but inventory abuse is a small price to pay for the convenience for having an inventory. One way another hold solved this in was to have certain "inventory squares" (preferably several in each level). I think Fetch The Pie could benefit from this. You wouldn't have to go back and forth between levels, but you wouldn't have your inventory available all the time.
05-22-2009 at 06:28 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I thought using the inventory to quickly switch between swords was intentional...
05-22-2009 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Blondbeard wrote:
Be that as it may, but inventory abuse is a small price to pay for the convenience for having an inventory. One way another hold solved this in was to have certain "inventory squares" (preferably several in each level). I think Fetch The Pie could benefit from this. You wouldn't have to go back and forth between levels, but you wouldn't have your inventory available all the time.

This was the approach that Fang's abandoned RPG hold Fighter's Way took, and I'm thinking it might be a good balance between having the inventory available all the time and just leaving sword slots around various hub junctures.

I would very much like to prevent inventory abuse of this form, particularly voluntary disarmament, so I might end up implementing this system in the future.

05-22-2009 at 03:45 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch the Pie Update: August 16th, 2009 (0)  
Fetch the Pie has been updated!

Main features:

*A new sector in Level 4
*A new sector in Level 5
*Sector 6, with plenty of new content
*A new 2nd Interlude, which is more difficult and far more interesting than the original
*Some tweaks to Levels 4 and 5 to smooth out the difficulty and make backtracking go faster
*Revised the inventory system to use specific "inventory squares" to access the inventory. This should be convenient but should similarly keep the player from breaking many of the sword puzzles in the hold.
*Revised the Rattlesnake Cave

*Unfortunately we aren't quite to the meat of the plot yet. But we're getting there.

There is a lot of new content here. I'd recommend replaying from the beginning since there are changes as early as Level 3, and so the inventory system squares show themselves. I believe this hold should play conveniently, and the new content will be well-received.

I'd like to hear some feedback on how well I'm doing, but first, go forth, discover truth, and have fun! :)

08-16-2009 at 07:42 PM
Blondbeard
When I exit second interlude 2S (after compleating the room) my DROD RPG crashes.

My end-stats: 1238/251/50/4/0/0. I also have 1361 Greckles, and if I were to go and pick up things left behind I would get more lives and keys. I wonder when the rattlesnake challange will be worth it, though... A damage reduction of 10 seems a bit small for two rattlesnakes.

Do you want me to maximize My stats? Is there any other specific info you would like? Also: I like it :)

Edit: Corection. My ATK was 251 in the end. Not 151.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 08-17-2009 06:09 PM]
08-17-2009 at 01:29 PM
Chaco
Blondbeard wrote:
I wonder when the rattlesnake challange will be worth it, though... A damage reduction of 10 seems a bit small for two rattlesnakes.

That's kind of the point... it really is pretty small, and only questionably worth it. But 10 damage per fight eventually stacks up. It depends on how much HP you lost to the rattlesnakes in the first place.

A few things that I should mention:

*There is a score checkpoint for killing the two rattlesnakes, so the player should at least do that once

*The earlier you kill the rattlesnakes, the more damage you take (and will have to heal using the limited health potions around), but the more fights remain in the game to "recover" HP from, 10 at a time

*I'm rather certain that in the next update, there will be one more level-sized chunk (probably on level 7) to play through. I'm not sure whether there will be over 150 fights in it or not, but I'll figure out how many once I've built it.

*I'm planning on building a reset point after that point. Vincent needs an opportunity to sit down, eat something, and take a nap. He hasn't been doing this on the stairs, what with the MASSIVE CONSPIRACY and all.

Also, there is a mobile enemy that features somewhat prominently in this update. I'm hoping that it should behave at least somewhat intuitively. Level 6 is kind of a meatgrinder, and it's important to avoid getting hit.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-17-2009 03:57 PM]
08-17-2009 at 03:57 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Alright, I managed to get a bit further in Level 4, but it's still quite hard.

My current stats are (before going for the goblins in 3S6E:

Click here to view the secret text

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-17-2009 at 04:58 PM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
I've always been puzzled about the Pie Fort Scout #1, since you can defeat him the normal way (which I usually don't) however I tested the normal way... and I ended up with way more hp than I had if I had defeated him earlier. Will defeating him early help later on, or are the three +150 HP potions the only things we miss out on? If there's no other bonus than defeating him with taking little damage and recovering most using the sole potion near its pressure pad, we'd be better off fighting him the normal way.

PS: I just noticed why we take more damage defeating him the other way, it's because we have to fight those mad eyes. Since I only recover 150 HP on the 420 damage I take, I'm better off healing 450 HP of the 475 damage I'd take on the normal way. That is, if there's no other bonus gained through the other way.

08-18-2009 at 03:36 AM
Chaco
Fang wrote:
Will defeating him early help later on?

No, that would be pretty cruel - finding out that you should have made a different decision four levels back. The decision here won't affect the story.

There are two different score checkpoints for handling him in the two different ways, though, so the player will have to find out and try each way once.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-18-2009 01:54 PM]
08-18-2009 at 01:54 PM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Autosave in 5th level 3W looks like an NPC and not the X red, I think it's not facing the good direction.

08-18-2009 at 03:53 PM
Chaco
Fang wrote:
Autosave in 5th level 3W looks like an NPC and not the X red, I think it's not facing the good direction.

No, it's like that because I forgot to set the NPC's type to "Checkpoint". If you look in the editor, you'll see his type is "None". Oops.

08-18-2009 at 04:00 PM
ijack7
Rank Points: 13
I just uploaded your latest version of the above but I am having some problems. I sent you a review of the previous version earlier today. In the latest version you have changed the way to access your inventory (no cmd) and I have been unable to access my inventory in some rooms in level 3. The yellow squares were there but they didn't work, so I couldn't change swords. These were rooms where I could access inventory in the previous version.
08-21-2009 at 12:03 AM
Chaco
You should probably start a new game from the beginning - the inventory access and squares might be wonky if you resume from previous saved games, since the program will still have the old rooms in cache.

If you revisit the rooms, starting from the beginning, you should be able to visit the inventory by treading on an inventory square. These squares should be infinitely reusable. While this does mean you can't access your inventory *any time*, it still lets you access the inventory most of the time, at least somewhat conveniently.

08-21-2009 at 12:59 AM
ijack7
Not being able to access inventory at anytime would have caused me problems on the last version of the game. In two of the rooms (on level 5) I had to put my sword away so that I could move without hitting a gel baby or a mud baby. There would have been no way I could have reached an inventory square. That was the only way I could get a top score on those particular rooms. Unfortunately, I no longer have the room numbers. One was the room where you change the tar to gel but then can only afford to kill one gel baby at a cost of 580 HP. The other was the room where you work your way through mud but have to limit how many mud babies you kill or the briars will eat what you are trying to get to. Perhaps there was another solution that I missed.
08-21-2009 at 03:36 AM
ijack7
I'm playing your latest version and the game is locking up on the cut scene in level 6 at once north, twice west. Any one else had this problem? I have restored back to defeating the second scout several times and tried different approaches to this room and it still locks up. The cut scene apparently finishes but it won't return control to me.
08-23-2009 at 01:53 AM
Chaco
Fetch the Pie has been updated!

No new ground is covered in this update, unfortunately. However, this should still increase the quality of the hold nonetheless. Among the changes:

*Level 4 should be much less of a roadblock now. Completing the level involves fighting only five goblins instead of six now, which should decrease the disparity between attack checkpoints by around 90 health points, besides freeing up one more goblin's worth of health. There is also more ATK available, making it easier to reach ATK checkpoints for goblins, tar babies and the level boss.

*Some of the rooms in level 5 have been tweaked, particularly the health potion purchase room.

*Level 2 4N2W has been changed and Level 3 3S has been added, so the earliest you'll want to restart would be the beginning of level 2. I don't think levels 1 or 2 need any more changes.

Hopefully a lot of problems, and hopefully all the ones mentioned in this thread should be fixed.

The hold should definitely be easier now, for the better. There are now more rooms, more resources available and more options, so reaching the end should be much easier now. As a result, anyone skilled enough to beat level 4 in the older version should be ahead of the difficulty curve now.

Eventually I'm planning on adding one more segment where the hold stops now, and then a reset point after that. I'm planning on making the use of the Belt Buckler worthwhile during this segment.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-13-2009 01:49 AM]
09-13-2009 at 01:48 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Alright, I managed to pass Level 4 and 5 now, but 6 is still tough. But maybe it's supposed to.

Stats upon entering Level 6:

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-29-2009 at 12:34 AM
Chaco
Yeah, Level 6 is kind of tough. You should probably enter it with around 750 to 1000 HP. The level then becomes about prioritizing objectives and optimizing whenver you can.

I hope it isn't too hard, though - just at the right level of difficulty where it's good to make good decisions.

It occurs to me that I didn't mention earlier that the bug reported elsewhere means that Citizens' swords won't automatically stab the player when he steps on them. If this happens and the swords do nothing, then just play fair, and bump into the citizen enemies' bodies in order to let them get the first hit.

09-29-2009 at 01:09 AM
Blondbeard
I would hate to see this getting easier and easier. We already have some rather easy user made holds :)
09-29-2009 at 02:56 AM
zex20913
...I think you're in the position of a professional DDR dancer critiquing a 2-foot dance.

I'm not trying to say that this hold is low quality (far from it), just that not everybody is an expert, and for a new(ish) game, it'd likely be best to have more low-difficulty holds than not.

09-29-2009 at 03:46 AM
Page 3 of 8
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com