Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Elemental Showcase Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged

File: Showcase Elementary.hold (111.4 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Elemental Showcase Compilation (+3)  
The long-awaited Elemental Showcase compilation is here!

Note that the "start here" puzzles are only semi-complete. (Hopefully it'll be apparent which ones are.) Chaco volunteered to write me a few puzzles for these rooms, and I'll be in touch with him.

Testers, please check: stair associations; completability; all the other things you usually check.

Architects, please check: that your level looks correct. Note that I have corrected spelling/grammar errors. If that's a problem, let me know and I can undo my corrections. It's also possible that, in clicking on rooms to edit/test/whatever them, I may have accidentally placed a wall, roach, etc. I've tried to keep intact whatever "hold ending" messages you had, slightly adapted for consistency, so check that, too.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 07-31-2008 10:55 PM]
07-16-2008 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Elemental Showcase Compilation (0)  
I noticed that you did mention that Doom got a second place tie, but I see no mention that PoPS won. Inconsistent :).
07-16-2008 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Dex Stewart wrote:
I noticed that you did mention that Doom got a second place tie, but I see no mention that PoPS won. Inconsistent :).
Yeah, I realized that just after exporting. I've gone back to add places to all five highlighted holds.
07-16-2008 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Mine looks good, but I was wondering if you could add checkpoints. I was having a difficult time with it, and I built it. Thanks, and great job!
07-17-2008 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Elemental Showcase Compilation (+1)  
I've been working my way through this one. Tahnan, the hub level looks great so far - one of the more interesting compilation hubs I've seen yet. :)

Here are the entries I've completed so far:
* Jason's Oremites levels
* Lst6's Builders levels
* Lst6's Platforms level
* voyager's speed potions level
* BoyBlue's Lightposts level

Here's where I'm currently stuck:
* I'm at the end of Someone Else's stalwarts level, Deeper 2E, trying to get the stalwart to kill the guards that are trapped in the yellow door. Seems like endless trial and error. Help please?
* I also tried Kevin's gel level, The Basement, but couldn't even get started. I realize this level is a maze in disguise, and it's intended that I can only cut my way to one of the possible exits of each room. So, from the Entrance, I can cut my way out to the west. But then in 1W, I'm having trouble getting anywhere. I need help on this one too.

07-27-2008 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
* I also tried Kevin's gel level, The Basement, but couldn't even get started. I realize this level is a maze in disguise, and it's intended that I can only cut my way to one of the possible exits of each room. So, from the Entrance, I can cut my way out to the west. But then in 1W, I'm having trouble getting anywhere. I need help on this one too.

See my post from the original poll thread, where I helped jbluestein with the same problem.

07-27-2008 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
This is something I've brought up before privately, but if it isn't a problem, could I have the green doors removed from the entrance room of my entry? While it won't be the same as it was during the contest, I would like for players to have the option of solving my puzzles in any order they want when playing my entry in the compilation.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-27-2008 at 02:22 AM
NoahT
Pointing out that the "Tokens" end stairs and all the stairs that are supposed to go to hot tile entries lead to the end of the hold. I haven't found any other stairs like that yet, but if I do I'll post them.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 07-31-2008 06:58 AM]
07-31-2008 at 06:53 AM
NoahT
Also, in "Building and Destroying," if you backtrack from Puzzles 4N to 3N, Beethro becomes swordless and stays that way, making it impossible to do other entries afterward.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 07-31-2008 08:03 AM]
07-31-2008 at 07:26 AM
Tahnan
icon Re: Elemental Showcase Compilation (+2)  
Hold updated in first post. Changes include:

* Removal of green doors from NoahT's hold (sorry, NT! Utterly forgot)

* Scattered checkpoints added to Someone Else's hold

* Scrolls for the top five finishers now indicate their placement

* End-hold stairs fixed for Tokens and the Hot Tile holds (I think only one needed it? Maybe two)

* B&D:Puzzles:4N now has a "set player sword on" command

* B&D:Puzzles:5N now has an editor's note to indicate an utterly unclued and random piece of scripting that was necessary for finding the secret room

(EDIT: whose stupid idea was it to turn the ":P" in "B&D:Puzzles" into a graphical smilie thing? Man I hate those.)

[Last edited by Tahnan at 07-31-2008 08:09 PM]
07-31-2008 at 08:07 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Downloaded this for the first time.

Tried three levels at the hot plate room in the main hold, all three stairs conquered the hold. Didn't even bother checking the rest, you should do a full stair re-verification.

Also played through my hold in the editor. Seems to be working as intented.
07-31-2008 at 08:37 PM
Tahnan
Doom wrote:
Tried three levels at the hot plate room in the main hold, all three stairs conquered the hold.
*splutter*

None of those stairs ended the hold in the version I exported. I think there's got to be some kind of serious exporting bug here, and since I don't know how it happened, I can't even report it coherently.

There's a new version attached to the first post. G-d willing, this one'll work. (EDIT: According to Chaco, no. Posting a bug report.) RE-EDIT: seriously this time. Working version attached.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 07-31-2008 11:57 PM]
07-31-2008 at 09:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Elemental Showcase Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com