Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Puzzle Rally Race (May Mini-Contest)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
A good strategy for the "smaller" ones is to change one letter to a necessary letter.

For example, to change PIE to LED in 3, we can use the words "LIE, LEE, LED." We change one of the starting letters to a desired letter at each move.
Good hint zex but when techant said "first" I think she was talking about the first anagram in the 3rd puzzle. :)
05-10-2008 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Also, I'm announcing for everyone that no word given as a hint in this puzzle leg (ex. agaricus) will be found in either the unscrambled anagram or a forum member's name. That would be too easy. (And incorrect.) :)
05-10-2008 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
noma - I know how rebuses (?) work, I've solved many in my youth. I'm just notoriously bad at picking words that go with images. Or figuring out where I went wrong when I'm supposed to subtract a P at the end that I don't have. :)

(it's not your fault)

(also, techant is stuck on the same anagram that I'm on. I think the hint's a little odd, since all the other four have one degree of information (forum enforcer, for example) while this one has three degrees (possible nickname of a North American cousin of an Odyssey character) which I've no idea what the North American cousin is, let alone what a nickname could be...)

[Last edited by Chaco at 05-10-2008 03:53 PM]
05-10-2008 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Ah. Rebus: thought you might know how, but just in case... Well, at least submit the words you think you've figured out as you can get partial points.

Re anagram:
Odyssessian(sp?) character - it's one of the monsters

North American nickname - for instance, Americans might be called "Yankees". What other North American countries are there, and what might the nickname do they go by? (Further hint: I'm one of 'em.)
05-10-2008 at 06:20 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Well, I unscrambled the first anagram fairly easily. My problem came attempting to match it with a forum member. I found people who fit the first word, but not the second, and vice versa.
I was convinced noma had made a mistake on number four, but then I found (I believe) the correct answer. I also found a rather funny alternate answer for #2, which I knew couldn't be right but still made me laugh.

BbJ

05-10-2008 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
bflatjeff wrote:
Well, I unscrambled the first anagram fairly easily. My problem came attempting to match it with a forum member. I found people who fit the first word, but not the second, and vice versa.
There definitely is one that fits both bills. And while he hasn't been "rolling around" too much lately, he has posted in the last 4 days.
05-10-2008 at 06:32 PM
Chaco
Okay, I finally solved it and sent the solution to you. But I have to reiterate that there was no way I would have been able to find the solution without your help. (Mostly because I've never heard of any nicknames like that before, being one of those silly unworldly Americans)

05-11-2008 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma

File: CW4.jpg (45.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
I apologize for posting this so early but I will be out of internet range most of the day tomorrow. Because of that, an updated leaderboard will not be available until about 7pm EDT. My apologies.

The next leg will begin Local Time:05-12-2008 at 10:00 PM, in negative 831 weeks, 4 days.

Puzzle Leg #4

We're off to Europe... Wieliczka, Poland to be exact. As you approach the checkpoint you are told you must complete some paperwork before you can check in. Complete the answers and submit them via PM by Local Time:05-15-2008 at 11:00 PM to qualify for rank points.

For this leg, you will earn 1 solve point for every correct answer and 5 bonus points for correctly completing the entire crossword.

Type your answers with their corresponding numbers under the headings "Across" and "Down".

Link to Puzzle
Once you get to the page, you can right-click or control-click the image to download it. I will also attach a file after the leg begins.

Good luck!

[Last edited by noma at 05-15-2008 05:31 AM]
05-12-2008 at 04:35 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Hrm...I'm needing assistance on 2 clues. 8 across and 7 down. Anybody want to trade? PM if so.

05-12-2008 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (+1)  
Me too,and a few others...

05-12-2008 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Seconded. (Fourthed?)

I can't find a four letter word that fits 7 down, and 8 across has me baffled, even though I know two letters.

BbJ

05-12-2008 at 10:57 PM
noma
Hello all. Well the Leaderboard is finally updated and zex20913 is back in the lead.

Regarding the current puzzle: as it seems I'm being a bit too obscure or misleading (unintentionally I assure you), here are a couple of clues:

7 Down: It seems I'm geometrically challenged. Call me a ___ head.

8 Across: the FAQ points to the answer.
:)
05-13-2008 at 01:16 AM
bflatjeff
Well, that helped for 8 across. Still no go on 7 down, hoping for H&S effect with this post.

BbJ

05-13-2008 at 03:10 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I'll give one answer or your choice to the first person who gives me 8 down.

05-13-2008 at 04:06 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'm also completely stumped on 8 down, I have all the rest.. I've been through every official, article I can find, theres nothing that I can see :( My fault for not knowing the history of the eighth well.

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-13-2008 05:27 AM]
05-13-2008 at 05:27 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
For the answer to 8 down, I referred to the fan site. ;)
05-13-2008 at 05:33 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
For the answer to 8 down, I referred to the fan site. ;)

Well it took some work but I found what you were talking about. I looked at it last night but was too tired to see it. Today I saw it clearly. Still stuck on 7,10,12.

Got them all now #10 had me stuck more than any other. :w00t

[Last edited by techant at 05-14-2008 10:35 AM : Update message]
05-14-2008 at 07:39 AM
noma
There is less than 5 hours left to complete Leg #4 of the Puzzle Rally Race and qualify for rank points. Leg #5, the final leg of our journey, will begin shortly after that.

Remember, you can still go back and run any leg you missed, or didn't complete, to accrue solve points.

Links to the Puzzles:

Puzzle Leg #1 : Word Ladders
Puzzle Leg #2 : Rebus
Puzzle Leg #3 : Anagrams
Puzzle Leg #4 : Crossword

[Last edited by noma at 05-15-2008 10:42 PM]
05-15-2008 at 06:28 PM
noma
And here we are : the final leg of the race. Due to a media blackout, the results from Leg #4 will not be posted until the completion of the rally. I will say that it's impossible to know who will win at this point. The tension mounts. (Also, due to a job cancellation, the race organizer has a chance to go to her internet and computer-free cottage until Tuesday. *happy sigh* I will keep tabs on things via Blackberry.)

The next leg will begin Local Time:05-16-2008 at 12:30 AM, in negative 831 weeks, 1 day.

Puzzle Leg #5 – The Finish Line
Where are you off to now? The finish line is in Amesbury, England. To complete this leg, you will have to go scavenging. You have until Local Time:05-20-2008 at 02:00 AM, which is in negative 830 weeks, 4 days, to arrive at the finish line with your answers.

This leg of the race can earn you up to 40 solve points, 2 bonus points, plus rank points for answering all questions correctly before the end of the race. It is not necessary to answer the bonus question to qualify as a completed leg and earn rank points. Your first submitted answer counts as your final answer ; no re-submissions will be accepted and no submissions will be accepted after the deadline.

See you at the finish line by Local Time:05-20-2008 at 02:00 AM and thanks for racing! Good luck!

Scavenger Race:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by noma at 05-16-2008 02:21 AM]
05-15-2008 at 10:42 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Where's the happy dance smiley... :yahoo:

Found it. :)

05-16-2008 at 01:37 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Bah, and I just got started too. :(

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-16-2008 01:50 AM]
05-16-2008 at 01:50 AM
noma
Remember, the score is cumulative. You never know...
05-16-2008 at 02:20 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Man, I'm obviously overthinking #2. It's obvious what name it is referring to, but a search reveals absolutely 0, and how who created the thread could matter.. Anyone want to swap hints?

(solved, thanks CSR.)

[Last edited by TripleM at 05-16-2008 10:20 AM]
05-16-2008 at 08:28 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I had to get a *lot* of help with this one, from someone more familiar with the context.
TripleM wrote:
It's obvious what name it is referring to

how who created the thread could matter

05-16-2008 at 09:43 AM
Chaco
I have all of the correct answers except 4a. (and 4b. as a result of that)

4a. is worth 3 points. I'm willing to trade 3 (or perhaps more if you ask nicely) or more points worth of information in exchange to the answer to that question. I've been all throughout the TCB hold and haven't found a good character name that the letters would unscramble to nicely.

05-16-2008 at 11:11 AM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Chaco wrote:
I have all of the correct answers except 4a. (and 4b. as a result of that)
That characted is in TCB, but it is not in the hold (think outside the grid).

Speaking of which, could anyone give me some hints on 2nd question? Will help with others in return.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 05-16-2008 07:00 PM]
05-16-2008 at 06:05 PM
noma
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (+1)  
This is your roving reporter coming to you from the northern Canadian wilderness (which is currently overcast and unseasonably cold, though still better than being stuck in the city) through an arcane method called "dial-up." No longer confined to Blackberry surfing, the Race Leaderboard is now updated up to the end of Leg #4.

There are just negative 830 weeks, 4 days until the Rally Race is complete and, while most racers have reported in, there is still time for anyone to run the race or complete previously incomplete legs.

See you at the finish line with the results. Thanks for racing!
05-19-2008 at 05:14 PM
noma
icon Re: Puzzle Rally Race (+2)  
After weeks of racing we have a winner. Standing on the top platform, holding a very large trophy cup, surrounded by babes or dudes (depending on preference) with slightly damp eyestalks from being showered with champagne... zex20913! Well done and congratulations, zex20913! Coming in second... the winner of Leg #2... runtly! And with a third place finish... congratulate kie, the winner of this last leg. National anthems over and done with, let's see how it all came down.

156 pts: zex20913
132 pts: runtly
126 pts: kie
125 pts: RoboBob3000
122 pts: TripleM
118 pts: CuriousShyRabbit
114 pts: dischorran
  99 pts: Chaco
  97 pts: techant
  89 pts: bflatjeff
  87 pts: eb0ny
  23 pts: Remlin
  22 pts: Rheb
  15 pts: bachus
    4 pts: Ezlo, NiroZ, Someone Else
    3 pts: Hahi

Full details for each leg can be seen on the Leaderboard page.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated, especially those who stuck with it through the end. You made it a lot of fun for me; thank you also for your kind and helpful comments throughout.

Solutions below

Leg #1 Solutions:

Leg #2 Solution:

Leg #3 Solutions:

Leg #4 Solutions:

Leg #5 Solutions:

[Last edited by noma at 05-20-2008 03:41 AM]
05-20-2008 at 02:03 AM
noma
Prizes (from me) have now been awarded via the modding up of old posts. (Or in the case of runtly, the two most recent posts. You didn't have a lot out there!)

Thanks again for playing! :thumbsup
05-20-2008 at 02:19 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
noma wrote:
Leg #5 Solutions:
Note: I was a little flexible here in awarding partial points.
1. "...then beggars would ride." (calamarain's favourite DS9 episode is "If Wishes Were Horses.")

"1. The name of calamarain’s favourite DS9 episode is a phrase that begins a well-known saying. How does the saying finish? (3 points)"
I thought this was a trick when I found the whole rhyme at:
http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a43-if-wishes-were-horses.htm

If wishes were horses,
Beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches,
I would wear one by my side.

I guess I was the one tricked by the word saying rather than rhyme. :w00t

Thanks for a fun contest!!

[Last edited by techant at 05-20-2008 02:53 AM]
05-20-2008 at 02:47 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Puzzle Rally Race (May Mini-Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com