Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Top Drawer (The Official March 2008 Contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Top Drawer (+5)  
Top Drawer: The Official March Contest

It was a dark day in the Empire. Of course, being underground, day and night weren't meaningful terms to many of the Empire's citizens. But, in this particular case it was in fact daytime. 29th Storage Manager and his team (1034th, 1035th and 1036th Storage Technicians) had been assigned to do a routine check of Long Term Archive 34, and ensure that no degradation or deterioration had occurred.

As you can imagine, this was rather boring work. No-one goes in the filled Long Term Archives unless they're checking out obscure research - the Archives get one citizen a day in at most. This might explain just how an absolutely humongous Adder got in there without anyone noticing and ate Artwork Cabinet 7. And guess which unfortunate citizen was responsible for checking the place last week, and signing off that it was entirely free of snakes?

So, unless poor 29th Storage Manager can replace what was destroyed without anyone noticing, the punishment... well, we won't go into details. Suffice to say that it's extremely unpleasant and involves fourteen books, two potatoes, ten Tar Techicians and a large trapdoor.

But as you forumites are thoroughly nice and generous people, I'm sure you'll help replace what was in the Artwork Cabinet for no charge, and save 29th Storage Manager from his terrible fate? You won't? You mean, mean people. Fine, will you do it if there's prizes for the best ones? OK then.

He needs to do it before anyone notices - the next check is scheduled in 3 weeks and things need to be ready by then.

The rules:

1) To enter this contest and help out poor 29th Storage Manager, you must draw/make and submit a piece of artwork to the submission thread. The deadline is 3 weeks from today - that's 12 noon (GMT) on Tuesday the 25th of March.

2) The artwork must be DROD-based. It could be a picture of Beethro, or of a monster. A drawing of a dungeon. A model of Dugandy Castle. A sculpture of Halph. Provided the art is firmly DROD based, it will be accepted.

3) Files must be smaller than 400k. This rule may be slightly bent if you can't compress the image without losing necessary quality (e.g. pixel art), but don't push it. Stick to jpgs and gifs if possible. Make sure the filename of your art is clear - put it in the form of "Myname - Title of my piece"

4) You may use any medium you like. Pencil and paper, paint on canvas, chalk on blackboard, 3D rendering, drawing programs, paper mache, whatever. You could even make a little DROD diorama and take a photograph of it, or a paper mache sculpture of a roach.

5) All work must be original. This means you can't use graphics from projects you've previously done, you can't use graphics from DROD: AE (despite their being public domain). It all has to be your own work, and done for this contest.

6) The entry must be entirely your own work, no joint efforts.

7) The entries will be judged by a vote once the deadline has passed.

8) The entry must be at least 200x200 pixels. While character sprites are cool and so are avatars, they're not the point of this contest.

9) No photomanipulation. Yes, even if you take the original photo, you can't just 'shop it to look DROD-like. This is a art contest, not a 'shopping contest. The only time you're allowed to submit a photo is if it's a photograph of the work you've done - e.g. a photo of your drawing if you don't have a scanner, or a photo of a model you made.

10) You are allowed if you want, to base your work off existing things. e.g. if you wanted to do the Mona Lisa, but with a Negotiator as the lady, feel free. But you draw the whole thing yourself from scratch, you don't alter an existing image of the Mona Lisa.

11) If you're not sure if your entry is within the rules of the contest or you're confused, please ask.

12) You may alter your submission at any time until the deadline. Also, you're allowed two entries for the contest, but they do have to be different works - one cannot contain bits copied and pasted from the other.

Prizes:

If the art is provided, 29th Storage Manager will be so grateful that he has offered to provide the following prizes to the best works, as determined by a poll of the forumites.

1st Prize: A prize from the prize pile, and the Empire Brass Medal For Artistic Excellence (which happens to be worth exactly 100 rank points)
2nd Prize: The Rooted Hold Wooden Trophy For Graphical Brilliance (worth 50 rank points)
3rd Prize: 1st Award Awarder's Pewter Goblet for Visual Genius (worth 25 rank points)

The Debutante Plastic Participation Award will also be given out for this contest. Anyone who has not participated in a contest before will receive the trophy, which happens to be worth 10 rank points.

So, to sum up the point of this contest... in one sentence...

Make some DROD fan art, and post it to the submission thread

Don't worry if you don't think you're any good, just try! Consider it good practice. I'll repeat that - everyone who says they're bad at drawing... nonsense. If all of you think you're bad at drawing and don't enter as a result, then anyone could win :P Seriously guys, even if you think you're the world's worst artist... give it a go! What have you go to lose?

Also, please don't forget to vote for the current contests that are still being processed - Depicting the DROD Number, and Holds Al Dente 2008

[Last edited by calamarain at 03-04-2008 10:14 PM]
03-04-2008 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Top Drawer (0)  
Great contest calamarain! I will try to do something in my artclass and post it. I just have to find a way to sneak it out of there...

EDIT: And why do we have to sell our medals once we win them? I will probarbly not win, but it would be quite nice to have a medal in my signature...

[Last edited by Pneh at 03-04-2008 01:22 PM]
03-04-2008 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Unfortunately, the medals don't actually belong to 29th Storage Manager. He found them in Trophy Cabinet 17, and he needs to put them back. So he can award them to you, but then you need to give them back and just keep the rank points. Otherwise he'll be in even deeper trouble than he already is.

03-04-2008 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
The Empire has art? Is this canonical? Are there Imperial occupations which include artiness? Do citizens have unsuppressed artistic ability to use in recreation? Is it all citizens or just those not vat-born? It really seems the Empire should take Plato's position on the matter: that art is far too affective on humans to be anything but a carefully State-controlled tool.
Also, how much of it is emo, and how much "modern"? and how much any good?

Also, I predict this will come down to a duel to the death between calamarain and vylycyn, unless a "dark horse" appears from obscurity.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-04-2008 10:39 PM]
03-04-2008 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
icon Re: Top Drawer (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Also, I predict this will come down to a duel to the death between calamarain and vylycyn, unless a "dark horse" appears from obscurity.
:P As the contest organiser, I believe that I'm exempt from winning. And of course the Empire has art. Just that most of it's stolen from the surface in an attempt to understand the irrational behaviours of the simple ones.

03-04-2008 at 10:46 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Top Drawer (+2)  
Coincidentally, this contest is also where I keep my socks.

03-04-2008 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
I'd like to join, and this time I'll take my time in making artwork. Not like I haven't done so before, but I'd like to take my time.

Not really a lot of ideas that can be done in less than 400K of data. But, I'll try my best.

03-04-2008 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Mr. Slice wrote:
Not really a lot of ideas that can be done in less than 400K of data.
A Google image search for "Mona Lisa" would suggest otherwise. Just don't make it a frakkin' bitmap!

03-04-2008 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Jatopian wrote:
The Empire has art?

Why do you think any bad artist will do... 29th Storage Manager has just got to fill that archive.... :w00t The 32nd Gossiper heard him saying, "..anything give me anything..' So I think I will give it a try.

P.S. By the way Photography is art they just don't have cameras in the Eighth, digital or film. :lol

[Last edited by techant at 03-05-2008 12:47 AM : spelling]
03-05-2008 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
techant wrote:
P.S. By the way Photography is art they just don't have cameras in the Eighth, digital or film. :lol
Yeah :) But I included that rule just so this wouldn't be a photoshopping/photomanipulation contest :) Photos only allowed if you're photographing something you've made for the contest - a chalk drawing, or a model or something.

And yeah, Mr Slice - 400k is not an extravagant limit for images. Just don't make it a bitmap - save it as a JPG and it should be well under that size.

[Last edited by calamarain at 03-05-2008 09:03 AM]
03-05-2008 at 09:02 AM
Mr. Slice
Oh, good. I normally save my images as PNGs, but I can save it as a JPEG as well.

03-05-2008 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Actually, it depends a bit on what type of image you're going to create. These filetypes have different compression methods which perform best on different types of images.
If it's an image with only a few distinct colors or with large areas of one single color it's best to save it as png. This is usually the case with pixel art and vector art. However if you have an image with many colours and smooth gradients, it's better to save it as a jpeg. For example, this would be useful for photographs.
I strongly recommend though not to use gif images, as they support only 256 distinct colours per image and produce for the same image nearly always larger files than png.
And always make a lossless backup (png or bmp) of your image in case something goes wrong.

03-05-2008 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jutt wrote:
Actually, it depends a bit on what type of image you're going to create. These filetypes have different compression methods which perform best on different types of images.
If it's an image with only a few distinct colors or with large areas of one single color it's best to save it as png. This is usually the case with pixel art and vector art. However if you have an image with many colours and smooth gradients, it's better to save it as a jpeg. For example, this would be useful for photographs.
Indeed. jpegs are recommended purely for filesize reasons, but they're not required. If you're doing pixel or vector art than a png will be well within the 400k limit, and is perfectly acceptable. Of course, there haven't been any entries yet, so I can't judge ;) Making art takes time.

03-05-2008 at 04:58 PM
Mr. Slice
It does. I'm still trying to decide what art to do.

03-05-2008 at 06:23 PM
techant
icon Re: Top Drawer (+1)  
Thanks calamarain for this great contest idea. I havn't drawn in years, it was really fun to try my hand at it again. :thumbsup

03-08-2008 at 07:51 AM
calamarain
techant wrote:
Thanks calamarain for this great contest idea. I havn't drawn in years, it was really fun to try my hand at it again. :thumbsup
And thankyou for entering. Yours is the first one :) Have a modpoint, you participant-type-person, you.

03-08-2008 at 02:12 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'll try this one! Hopefully people will like the result! :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-08-2008 07:13 PM]
03-08-2008 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I'll try this one! Hopefully people will like the result! :)
Looking forward to your entry.

03-09-2008 at 01:45 AM
Mr. Slice
I'm going to back out of this contest. Why? It's for your own good. Period.

03-09-2008 at 11:30 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
hmm, I might be in on this
03-10-2008 at 01:20 AM
techant
calamarain wrote:
techant wrote:
And thankyou for entering. Yours is the first one :) Have a modpoint, you participant-type-person, you.

Thank you for the mod. I want to encourage the rest of you to try and make an entry. I remember the make a roach contest, and we had a number of great entries for that. Com'on you can do it!! :fun

03-10-2008 at 05:25 AM
calamarain
Mmmmhmmm. Current we have two entries. One of them's mine and I'm ineligible to win. But we're still only in the first week. Come on guys, if no-one else enters but you, you're guaranteed second place at the very least ;)

03-10-2008 at 12:57 PM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
I am preparing my entry... Currently it's size is 7 A4 sheets... And I'm only about halfway through, hehe... :shifty

03-10-2008 at 04:30 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I will try this one. I am going with a digital drawing, as my physical art skills are almost non-existant.

I really like the back story for the contest!
03-10-2008 at 11:25 PM
techant
brian_s wrote:
I will try this one. I am going with a digital drawing, as my physical art skills are almost non-existant.

I really like the back story for the contest!

I did a physical drawing, I wish my digital drawing skill were better but mine are just about non-existant. You may think the same for my physical drawing when you see it, but that is what makes this contest fun. I am looking forward to seeing everyone work. :thumbsup

03-11-2008 at 05:43 PM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
(This post was removed because the post was bad/stupid.)

[Last edited by Monkey at 03-15-2008 01:44 AM]
03-14-2008 at 11:40 PM
Jatopian
Monkey wrote:
When did you last see humor in the Empire? :huh
Unintentional or intentional? Because parts of it are laughable.

03-15-2008 at 12:28 AM
calamarain
Monkey - is this your entry for the contest?

03-15-2008 at 12:32 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
calamarain wrote:
Monkey - is this your entry for the contest?
yeah
Jatopian wrote:
Monkey wrote:
When did you last see humor in the Empire? :huh
Unintentional or intentional? Because parts of it are laughable.
I'm guessing unintentional, because I don't know what's to be laughed at. Except for the :huh.

[Last edited by Monkey at 03-15-2008 12:41 AM]
03-15-2008 at 12:39 AM
Jatopian
You said in the Empire, not in your post.

Edit: Oh FFS that is not what I meant.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-15-2008 01:52 AM]
03-15-2008 at 01:22 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Top Drawer (The Official March 2008 Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com