Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Secret Santa - Official Contest of December!
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged
icon Secret Santa - Official Contest of December! (+4)  
Secret Santa – The official Forum community activity of December!

Aim of the game: In this “activity” you can’t lose. You may be the last, but there will be an extra parcel packed for you anyway.

The Wish and the Fulfilment

The activity consists of different parts. Let’s start with the easy and pleasant one. I’ll open a submission topic (a topic where you can’t see other people’s post) in which you can post a wish. The wish has to fulfil the following criteria:

> It MUST be something non-material. No Orange Box, no I Phone and no pizza.
> It MUST be something “doable” by a single person in the given time. You may ask for a hold, or for a cartoon, but not for a self-developed operating system.
> It MUST NOT cause copyright issues.
> It MUST NOT result in a file which is way bigger than 5 MB
> It CAN be Drod-related, but it doesn’t have to.

If your wish isn't up to those standards, I'll PM you. You may edit your wish until the deadline.

On the 16th of December I’ll put all your wishes on a big anonymous wish list and post this list into a new thread. Then every contestant (only people which made a wish can pick and fulfil another ones wish!) may pick her/his 3 favourite wishes (the one’s he wants/feels able to fulfil) and PM me about it (your PM could look like this: my most favourite is wish XY, second is ZA and third is BC). Based on these PMs, I’ll distribute the wishes. Every contestant gets ONE wish distributed. You can’t get your own by the way. If any problems occur in this process, they can be solved by PMs. The deadline for this process is the 21st of December

Then you can start your work fulfilling the wish that is distributed to you. I’ll open another submission topic where you can attach your finished file. You should be finished by the 31st of December. On the 1st January I’ll publish all the files.

Then we’ll have the traditional poll. Everyone can vote on how well contestant X has fulfilled the wish of Y. Of course, voters are asked to regard the difficulty of the different wishes.

Prizes:

This month, due to things being a little different, everyone will receive some sort of prize for their contribution. Not only will you get your wish fulfilled, but you'll enjoy a nice Christmas contest and even if you don't place in the top 5 you get 3 rank points for playing. The winner of the poll gets 100 rank points and a free article from the price pile. The runner up wins 50 rank points and the third one gets 25. The 4th placed wins 15 and the 5th 8 rank points.

If you have any questions, post here or PM me. Special thanks are going to NiroZ and TripleM. Don’t worry about time zones and exact deadlines. I’ll always wait for the next day after the deadline passed before I go ahead with the contest.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 12-12-2007 05:54 PM]
12-12-2007 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Secret Santa - Official Contest of December! (0)  
Fun! Looking forward to this one!

Josh

12-12-2007 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I have wished.

How 'bout you?
12-12-2007 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I've made my wish...

12-12-2007 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Sounds great! I'll go make my wish right now. :)

12-12-2007 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Wish made. :)
12-12-2007 at 11:01 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Got my wish in.. O:-

12-13-2007 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Wished. :)

12-15-2007 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Deadline is today! Pretty sure no more submissions. Am I right meckmeck?

EDIT: Bring in those submissions! :)

[Last edited by roach strangler at 12-16-2007 05:05 PM]
12-16-2007 at 04:22 PM
MeckMeck GRE
roach strangler wrote:
Deadline is today! Pretty sure no more submissions. Am I right meckmeck?

You have 18 hours left... I won't proceed with the contest until this time will have elapsed.
12-16-2007 at 04:54 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Phew!
Thank lord. I wished, but thought I was too late! Thanks Meckmeck!

EDIT: Seems like we won't have a Christmas Present, but a New Years gift! :)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 12-16-2007 05:18 PM]
12-16-2007 at 05:16 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
EDIT: Seems like we won't have a Christmas Present, but a New Years gift! :)

I think there are some cultures/nations in which you get your presents at the 6th of January :D.
12-16-2007 at 05:25 PM
calamarain
icon Re: Secret Santa - Official Contest of December! (+2)  
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I think there are some cultures/nations in which you get your presents at the 6th of January :D.
What an epiphany!

12-16-2007 at 07:29 PM
MeckMeck GRE
icon Secret Santa - Wishlist (0)  
Here is the big forum wish list! I usually posted them 1:1 (literally from the submission topic) but I really had to add some comments to wishes #14/#15. If nobody has any idea how to fulfil those two wishes, I'll PM them in 2 days that they have to redo their wishes as fast as possible. If they like, they can change their wishes right now by PMing me.

Free:

Assignments are done!

Taken:

1.) I would like a one-room puzzle hold. No cheap tricks, no unpredictable scripting, just a single room that will twist my brain up on Christmas Day. Dazzle me.
3.) I wish that someone would create an original piece of DROD fiction of over 400 words in length to put on the fan site.
4.) I wish for a small Hold based on Stalwart puzzles.
5.) I'd very much like a fractal. Try to stick to no more than one colour for the background and one colour (and hues thereof) for the rest. Also, don't fill it completely with colours, try to leave a few blank spaces.
6.) I wish for someone to make a short hold where mimics attempt revenge for being controlled by people.

8.) I wish for a picture of a beautiful night sky
10.) I wish for a techno style for TCB.
11.) I wish for a video of a CaravelNet Forumite chugging a tall glass of egg nog. Pretty Please?
12.) I wish for a nice batch of DROD lynchpin rooms, not too hard, not too easy, if it's not too late.
13.) I wish for a good 5 room DROD hold. I also wish for better hold building skills. Lastly, I wish for world peace. [You only have to do task 1. Maybe you can combine #2 with #1. If you like you can do all.]
15.) I wish for good things to happen with DROD and Caravel. [oh dear, I doubt that we can do anything for that... let something good happen to Drod]
2.) For Christmas, I would like a nice little piece of DROD fan art. And since this is the spirit of giving, I would like whoever gives it to me to choose what format, what to draw. I just want a nice pretty picture. Is that so much to ask? :)
7.) I want an (girlish, sword optional) avatar that reflects that I am a lady player. Maybe a brown haired lady wielding a sword or standing leaning on one. Or a techie looking lady. I would like to use it at other places besides the DROD forum. I am known on other forums by 'techlady'. I can't think of a techie look that works so the sword idea is fine. These are my ideas maybe you have your own. Because I am christian lady please reflect that I am modest and also am not totally blood thirsty. I am a fair skinned lady and have long brown hair. I wear glasses but the avatar doesn't need to (nice trick if you can pull it off though).
9.) I would like to have an avatar picture of a red serpent to use in a DROD hold.
16.) I wish for some recommendations, tips or advice that will help me get better at DROD (both playing and architecting). Assume that, for whatever reason, I am unable to spend any money, so try to avoid making recommendations that would require this.
17.) I wish for a recording of a someone from the DROD community singing Jingle Bells (or as much of it as will fit into 5MB). I hope that the recording could be in WAV format?

[] = comment from me

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 12-22-2007 03:47 PM]
12-17-2007 at 12:54 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Hmmm...some of these seem less anonymous than others. (I have a pretty good idea I know who some of these belong to.)

Josh

12-17-2007 at 03:01 PM
calamarain
Right, pmmed MeckMeck with my 3 wishes I'll try.

12-17-2007 at 06:03 PM
calamarain
Nuntar wrote:
:( Not fair, I only just came back to this place so I didn't even know this was going on....
There's a contest every month, so you just need to wait a little.

12-17-2007 at 06:19 PM
techant
How can any be taken already I thought we had a chance to submit our 3 choices?

12-18-2007 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
MeckMeckGRE gave me my first choice. I don't know why he was so hasty to do so, seeing as I was one of the first to submit my preferences, but I can confirm that indeed, some are taken.

Perhaps it had something to do with his inferred difficulty of each task.

12-18-2007 at 01:48 AM
techant
Chaco wrote:
MeckMeckGRE gave me my first choice. I don't know why he was so hasty to do so, seeing as I was one of the first to submit my preferences, but I can confirm that indeed, some are taken.

Perhaps it had something to do with his inferred difficulty of each task.

Well I went ahead and submitted my choices.

12-18-2007 at 02:13 AM
MeckMeck GRE
techant wrote:
How can any be taken already I thought we had a chance to submit our 3 choices?

Everything is allright with that. I won't state any complex rules of distribtution here; I'm just trying to give anybody at least the tertiary wish and keep the work of distributing clear and overlookable. "The first one takes it" seemed more suitable to me than the "throw a dice" method. I know it's not 100% fair for those who are rarely online, but the random method has drawbacks too. If the last ones to choose don't find an appropriate wish anymore, there is still the possibilty to sort things out via PM and redistribute one or two wishes. So please don't start working on the wishes right now!

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 12-18-2007 08:47 AM]
12-18-2007 at 08:41 AM
calamarain
Few questions...

1) Do we submit our completed works to the original wish submission topic?
2) What happens to the leftover wishes? It's not unreasonable to assume that at least one person will make a wish, but not be willing/able to fulfil any of the above remaining wishes.

[Last edited by calamarain at 12-20-2007 12:03 AM]
12-19-2007 at 11:56 PM
MeckMeck GRE
calamarain wrote:
Few questions...

1) Do we submit our completed works to the original wish submission topic?
2) What happens to the leftover wishes? It's not unreasonable to assume that at least one person will make a wish, but not be willing/able to fulfil any of the above remaining wishes.

1.) No, there will be a new submission topic.
2.) I hope that this will not happen. If a contestant can't do a wish (because of illness or too much work) I'll either do the wish myself or remove the wish of the contestant which drops out of the contest. I hope I don't need to use method two, because it will require a reassignment of some wishes. Don't worry, I'll keep the contest running.
12-20-2007 at 09:03 AM
Monkey
How come I'll fail miserably at all the wishes up there? :?

[Last edited by Monkey at 12-21-2007 01:02 AM]
12-21-2007 at 01:01 AM
techant
Monkey wrote:

PM MeckMeck GRE and tell him which of the taken wishes you think you could do. He may be able to switch them around and give you one that is marked as taken and give that person their second choice.

PS MeckMeck GRE is on German time zones so he will not be on until later I think.

[Last edited by techant at 12-21-2007 04:12 AM]
12-21-2007 at 04:11 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Secret Santa - Official Contest of December! (+1)  
Monkey wrote:

Hmmm, I'm having exactly the same problem. I would love top be able to fulfill someone's wish, but I can't see how I would do any of the wishes which are left. I might try PMing Meck to see if he can suggest anything.
oh and btw, "Something" is about to happen! ;)

12-21-2007 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Wait. I just got an idea. For the people that are in the same situation as I am, could just make duplicate wishes. Then, when the wish is chosen for keeping, they could have both. :smile

It's a strategy that doesn't involve messy moving around wishes, which is good. The person who chose the wish will get 2 things, which is doublegood. And it leaves the people who got those wishes happy, which is tripleplusdoublegood. :D The only downside that I see is people groaning because they didn't get 2 things with their wish. :(

It's your choice, MeckMeck.

12-21-2007 at 03:04 PM
Elfstone
Good thinking monkey, but will your idea not leave some of the people with their wishes unfulfilled?

oh and btw, Something is about to happen

12-21-2007 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
It seems that we are going to run into a lot of trouble and unfulfilled wishes. I PMed 2 people to change their wish (marked yellow) and I'd like to encourage the remaining contestants without a assigned wish to take one of the remaining wishes. It dosen't matter if the snake avatar isn't looking like some awesome 3D-Da Vinci-50.000$ picture. If you want, I won't even include your work into the poll, I just want that everybody has fun and gets her/his wish fulfilled. If you don't PM about the wishes you want, I'll assign the last remaining wishes randomly. If you really can't do anything at all, we have one volunteer (big thanks to ZNirk) to jump in.

Something is about to happen? What do you mean?

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 12-21-2007 04:56 PM]
12-21-2007 at 04:56 PM
Elfstone
oh,

you know, :rolleyes

Something

keep watching!!

;)

:D

12-21-2007 at 05:02 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Secret Santa - Official Contest of December!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com