Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Aumtlich's Quest (Ever so slightly bizarre)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged
icon An Aumtlich's Quest (+1)  
Edit: I have removed the attachment from here as it can now be found on the Holds board. Please feel free to read through the comments, however.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 11-27-2007 08:12 PM]
10-31-2007 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: An Aumtlich's Quest (0)  
I want to say that I hope this hold is never published, for reasons unrelated to its merit.
You see, I keep hoping that in one of these patches, mrimer will make all the player roles act like what they seem to be - e.g., an aumtlich would have a freakin' laser beam on its head. The current holds can undergo very minimal modifications to accommodate this, but this hold would surely consign that noble dream forever to the dustbin and the Realm of Ideal Forms. *sniff* :~(

11-01-2007 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
If that change were ever implemented, it would be easy to simply change the name, plot, rooms, etc. to use a roach instead of an aumtlich. Surely the staple roach should have no super-special laser powers of doom?

Plus, a roach and an aumtlich act the same in 3.1, so roach behavior could be substituted for your laser-aumtlich behavior.

11-01-2007 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I just played through this. It has a fun story. :) I'd have to agree with Jatopian in that I don't care for playing as an aumtlich if I can't have its special gaze. I think the story would be just as cute with a goblin. Maybe even cuter, because goblins talk when they've completed rooms. But I also don't think the existence of this hold will stop the dev folks from changing "Player role Aumtlich" if they feel like it. Both recent patches (3.1.0.54 and 2.0.16) have broken rooms in published holds.

The presentation of the puzzles is a little bit contradictory. Some of it sounds like a tutorial, where I'm told all about what to expect in the player role. This part seems aimed at new players. But then I'm in a room with a slayer, and it's assumed that I'm already familiar with some slayer manipulation tricks (how to make him turn his hook, different ways to make him stop and start moving, different ways to guide the wisp). And this seems like it's meant for players who are already familiar with the game, who, then probably wouldn't need to be told how player roles work.

Here are some specific comments on the puzzles:

Slayer's Chambers
Entrance - Very easy tutorial style room. I learned something here... wasn't aware that some player roles can't use mimic and decoy potions. There's also a mistake. After stepping on the power token, the aumtlich can light fuses by stepping on them, not with his beam.
1E - Also very easy.
1S2E - Here, I have to already know how to stop the slayer and a little about remote snake manipulation. A nice slightly tricky puzzle, definitely not a tutorial. And nonsworded player roles seem to have a very unfair advantage over slayers. I killed all the slayers in the hold, just because...
2S1E - Easy fun puzzle where you have to know about black gates and tarstuff, as well as conquer tokens.
2S - This is the trickiest puzzle on the level. It took me a couple minutes to get the golem in the right spot when the slayer turned his hook.

Seep Spaces (the deep spaces style is very appropriate here ;))
Entrance - A very easy tutorial-style room that teaches how to kill seep. Again, someone who can manipulate a slayer will probably already know this.
1S - Another very easy puzzle that introduces the floating platform.
secret - I liked how this secret room was hidden, with the bridge as a clue. I also liked the puzzle very much. :) Moving the pressure plate and adding a slayer made it much more interesting.
2S - Definitely not a tutorial. You have to already know about tarstuff growth, how to manipulate a mimic from a small spot and how to cut gel. I liked how there is a right time for killing the roach and a right time for using the power token.
3S - I might have dome this wrong. I killed the guard right away, and I didn't need the hot tile for anything. Also, this room is not back-trackable, if I wanted to walk back to the secret room rather than restoring.

All in all, this was a fun little break. Nice job, Hartleyhair! :) I am a bit curious about your intended audience. Is it beginners or slayer manipulation pros?
11-01-2007 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
I would love the beam change to be implemented, because that's really what I wanted this Hold to involve, and I had to make do without it.

Unfortunately, I was goung to pass off his beamlessness as he hasn't been 'fully developed' yet.

Perhaps, if (when?) the change is implemented I'll change the Aumtlich to another monster type, alhough it wouldn't fit in with the story as well...

The presentation of the puzzles is a little bit contradictory. Some of it sounds like a tutorial, where I'm told all about what to expect in the player role. This part seems aimed at new players. But then I'm in a room with a slayer, and it's assumed that I'm already familiar with some slayer manipulation tricks (how to make him turn his hook, different ways to make him stop and start moving, different ways to guide the wisp). And this seems like it's meant for players who are already familiar with the game, who, then probably wouldn't need to be told how player roles work.

I intended this Hold to be for fairly experienced players; I included the tutorial rooms to familiarize them with the Player Role, just in case. Maybe I'll make the tutorial rooms optional at some point.

3S - I might have dome this wrong. I killed the guard right away, and I didn't need the hot tile for anything. Also, this room is not back-trackable, if I wanted to walk back to the secret room rather than restoring.

Hmm... how? I thought that if you let the briar grow over the tar, a baby would be left on the Hot Tile... but then I'm playing in 3.0, and I seem to recall that briars were changed in 3.1.

11-01-2007 at 07:41 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
hartleyhair wrote:
Hmm... how? I thought that if you let the briar grow over the tar, a baby would be left on the Hot Tile... but then I'm playing in 3.0, and I seem to recall that briars were changed in 3.1.

That happens sometimes, but if you maneuver the tar babies correctly, you can make the briar eat them all.

11-01-2007 at 07:46 AM
hartleyhair
Update:

-Have fixed aforementioned issues with the Seep Spaces briar room

-Added a new level, Imitation Grounds.

EDIT:

Fixed backtracking return bug and added a secret to Imitation Grounds

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 11-01-2007 05:32 PM]
11-01-2007 at 04:35 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
hartleyhair wrote:
I would love the beam change to be implemented, because that's really what I wanted this Hold to involve, and I had to make do without it.

Unfortunately, I was goung to pass off his beamlessness as he hasn't been 'fully developed' yet.

Perhaps, if (when?) the change is implemented I'll change the Aumtlich to another monster type, alhough it wouldn't fit in with the story as well...
You could probably get permission from Caravel to have a player role with another base type and aumtlich tiles.

11-01-2007 at 10:57 PM
hartleyhair
That would be super - I could even let the player play as a beamed Aumtlich when he's developed!

Anyways, an update:

-Added mini-level, Outpost 12.

11-02-2007 at 10:03 AM
hartleyhair
icon Re: An Aumtlich's Quest (+1)  
Update.

-Added Rooted Hold level (obviously a very small portion of the entire city)

-Added Tarstuff Laboratories level (note that a couple of rooms there are harder versions of Seep Spaces rooms)

11-03-2007 at 07:41 PM
hartleyhair
And... finished! Please comment...

EDIT: Re-updated (entrance to Hourglass Stronghold was buggy)

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 11-08-2007 06:13 PM]
11-07-2007 at 08:19 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Imitation Grounds: 1N1W seems impossible. Mud does grow under the mother, keeping the black door from dropping...

11-09-2007 at 08:03 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
So, don't let mud grow under the mother then :)

Open the black door and kill the mother before the first spawn.

11-09-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Progressive hints:

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: Post collision, Chaco beat me to it.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 11-09-2007 08:46 PM]
11-09-2007 at 08:45 PM
Sillyman
And how, precisely? Even with stepping on the power token at the very beginning of the cycle, I just can't control the mimic well enough. Oh well.

11-10-2007 at 03:12 AM
hartleyhair

File: AAQ Imitation Grounds 1N1W Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
License: Public Domain
Demo.

11-10-2007 at 07:41 AM
Sillyman
Thanks. Modup... Done.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 11-11-2007 05:52 AM]
11-11-2007 at 05:51 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Aumtlich's Quest (Ever so slightly bizarre)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com