Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Watergates (Only americans will find that funny)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Watergates (+2)  
I want some form of gate.

When I strike an orb, like every yellow door ever, it drops.

Into /water/.

Why?

Because it's meaningful to briars, waterskippers, wraithwings, platforms.

Puzzle potential pretty much involves being able to play games involving opening gates to pass platforms or other things like this through, and more briar manipulation. Anything that allows more intricate briar manipulation is kind of awesome in my book. Seriously. My book specifically mentions it.
05-24-2007 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Watergates (0)  
I found that funny, so grant me US citizenship on the spot, you 51th State inhabitant.
05-24-2007 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Banjooie wrote:
Because it's meaningful to briars, waterskippers, wraithwings, platforms.
Do briars and wraithwings act any differently to water than they do to dropped yellow gates? I thought for both of them the basic action was "pass right over it". Fegundos, on the other hand, now there's another one where it would make a serious difference as to whether, once you've dropped the yellow gate to let it pass, it was passing over water or (the equivalent of) land.

I agree with Banjooie; I think there's a lot of potential to be had from gates that drop into, or rise out of, water as opposed to floor.
05-24-2007 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
It is meaningful to wraithwings in that they can stand on it when it's down, and you can't.

..it is meaningful to briars in that shut up D:

[Last edited by Banjooie at 05-24-2007 11:16 AM]
05-24-2007 at 11:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I have to admit, currently the only door you can use with waterskippers is force arrows and force arrow rotators. Not that you can't do awesome awesome things with those, but it's sort of inelegant.

05-24-2007 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 157
I like the idea. Maybe it's just me, but I imagine a closed gate to act as a wall, not as a floor, but I still like the idea :) .

Also, maybe this could be used over pits as well. You could use a yellow gate over a pit to form a closable path, but this is different. Flying monsters would pass over it either way, not only when it's open, and mosters, and objects (bombs, mirrors) on it would fall in to the pit/water, instead of just being unable to move.
05-24-2007 at 01:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What if platforms could pass under the gates when they're up? Beethro would have to get off then get on the other side.

Also, I would be surprised if most of the Western world wasn't aware of Watergate.

05-24-2007 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Tahnan wrote:
Do briars and wraithwings act any differently to water than they do to dropped yellow gates? I thought for both of them the basic action was "pass right over it". Fegundos, on the other hand, now there's another one where it would make a serious difference as to whether, once you've dropped the yellow gate to let it pass, it was passing over water or (the equivalent of) land.

Actually, briars do. If a down yellow gate that is under them goes up it kills the briar on top. However, it would not be killed with the lifting/rising of these gates (I assume)

Of course, with pit it would also have a lot of puzzle potential.
05-24-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Someone Else wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Do briars and wraithwings act any differently to water than they do to dropped yellow gates? I thought for both of them the basic action was "pass right over it".
Actually, briars do. If a down yellow gate that is under them goes up it kills the briar on top. However, it would not be killed with the lifting/rising of these gates (I assume)
Technically, yes. But the point is that briars would behave no differently over a dropped-gate-turned-floor than they would over a dropped-gate-turned-water. (As opposed to waterskippers, fegundos, platforms, &c. &c.)
05-25-2007 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Right. But it doesn't really matter, does it? I mean, it has more puzzle potential than a persistent movement token, and that's in there.
05-25-2007 at 04:23 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Erm, Fegundos don't act differently.

Unless you refer to ashes falling, but that's uncommon.

I don't think there is any commonly seen difference.

05-26-2007 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Watergates (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
Erm, Fegundos don't act differently. Unless you refer to ashes falling, but that's uncommon.
:huh
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 03:10 PM]
05-26-2007 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Watergates (-1)  
NiroZ wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
Erm, Fegundos don't act differently. Unless you refer to ashes falling, but that's uncommon.

EDIT: Oh, thanks for the mod down.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 05-28-2007 09:54 PM]
05-26-2007 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Kwakstur wrote:
Erm, Fegundos don't act differently.

Unless you refer to ashes falling, but that's uncommon.
Uh, that's entirely common, when there's a puzzle based around it. I've already played enough rooms with fegundos over water that the difference between water and land-via-dropped-gate strikes me as enormous.
05-26-2007 at 06:22 AM
RuAdam
Rank Points: 157
Hmm, I wonder what would be the order of these gates.
Let us say that one tile of land is surrounded with these watergates and they are in the state in witch they act as water. On that piece of land there is an orb, witch toggels the state of the gate around it. What would happen if a fegundo crashed into the orb? Would the gate toggle first, so that the ash lands on what acts as regular floor tile, or would it toggle too late, when the ashes have already fallen in the water?
05-26-2007 at 07:55 AM
Banjooie
Well--I'm leaning towards it being more like a porticullis sort of deal, so yeah, the fegundo ashes can just splash right through it.
05-26-2007 at 11:14 AM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
That gives me a random idea, grates. Which has already been suggested, actually. But now there are interactions possible with them. Not only would tarstuff not grow on it and tar babies would fall to their doom, it would also let through fegundo ashes and rock piles. And briars on top of them would get red every turn, to symbolize growing downwards.
05-27-2007 at 10:00 AM
Jothki
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
A water gate couldn't exist on the same level as floor and water tiles and such, since platforms would need to be able to exist on the same tiles when the gate is open. The gate would need to be an object that exists on another type of tile, in which case it might as well just be generic and able to be placed anywhere, like in pits.
06-08-2007 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
icon comment (0)  
I like it.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-08-2007 10:24 PM]
06-08-2007 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Watergates (Only americans will find that funny)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com