Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+1)  
I think you are doing a great job with this contest, don't give up! Am I understanding this right that we have more time? I can still tweak mine some more Oh the fun of it..... :thumbsup

I know I was concerned using all kinds of other elements in my hold would confuse players but then I realized that you had to use other elements, or you really couldn't highlight your focus element. The sub-elements (gel vs gel mothers) aspect gave me some grief but I can work around it. I didn't think it was relevant to what I chose until way late in the game. I PM'd NiroZ and got some clarification and all is well. What fun we will have.

I had some trouble with some elements because I have only done the demo and have not seen them all in action. I really had trouble with the builder idea it took forever to find out that it was a two part system and that I needed a relay station. I look through out the in game helps and didn't find out what i needed to use builders. If I had seen them in action I would have known I guess. It was the forum that came through for me, thanks to Sergenth who laid it all out step by step.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15409&page=0

It would be nice if more could be added to the in game helps about this topic or to the caravel site under info maybe, or something like that. Maybe we will have to wait for someone to add it to the Architecture section of the forum.

05-22-2007 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, I don't know what NiroZ would say to that, but I always found that rule to be ridiculous.
Which rule are you referring to? And how exactly do you intend to vote?

This rule:
NiroZ wrote:
*Elements that come hand in hand, like Gel Mothers, Gel and Gel babies, are all considered separate elements. Same applies for the 3 different types of Pressure plates. Again, builders are an exception to this rule, and all of the components that make a builder should be considered one element.

05-22-2007 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Dex,
If you have an issue with that rule, could you please explain why? If your worried about saying it in public, feel free to PM me.
05-22-2007 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
I don't have an issue with it, don't worry 'bout me :). I just think it would have been an easier job for you, had you done it my way.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 05-22-2007 04:01 PM]
05-22-2007 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
NiroZ wrote:
Tim wrote:
Note that I am not even considering to enter this contest, so I think I am allowed to ask this question.
What? You can ask questions even if you are concerned over people nabbing your idea's, PM me.
Just for the record, the reason why I'm not going to enter this contest is that I don't have time to check the forum every time a rule has been changed. Especially not after bedtime, 6 hours before the deadline.

Besides, I really need to finish Monkey Island (the first one). Never played it until now :?.

Oh, and I think you're handling the contest really well. :)

05-22-2007 at 08:45 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Tim wrote:
Oh, and I think you're handling the contest really well. :)

I have to agree, you've done a wonderful job. It's always hard when you have rules that can bent in every which way. One decision always annoys someone else. Remember Death to Death and all the arguments about if Beethro not killing things meant that mimcs/slayers/guards/bombs/etc couldn't kill either? That was torture! :)
05-22-2007 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It just occurred to me that the forum's e-mail is down, so no one will be getting information about this contest via Illumination unless they actually visit the forum.
05-29-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Or read TCB's or JtRH's in-game marquee :)

05-29-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Right, but that's already there. The point is that waiting for the Illumination to clos entries is fruitless, simply because no one new will learn of it when the Illumination is posted.
05-29-2007 at 12:34 AM
Dex Stewart
I also agree that you should finally bring it to an end.

However I believe you should bring it to an end 3 days after an announcement you will make, as some of us (e.g. me) might still be working and not hurry up, because they know they have at least three days remaining.
05-29-2007 at 05:38 PM
Chaco
Sheesh, people, there are only two days left in May. Since the May Illumination hasn't been released yet, it seems reasonable that it's just another one of those months where Erik is busy and is just deliberately waiting until the last of the month to inspire us.

Or something like that.

Anyway, if June 1st comes and the Illumination isn't out, then you should probably just call the three days left deadline then.

05-29-2007 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
While it is sad we miss out on some new folks joining us, only three days for a new person to put a hold together is really alot to ask. So I agree with the rest in encouraging the close of this contest with a 3 day notice.

May be you could get Erik to announce next months contest in the May newsletter. That would put us ahead of the game in June. :D

But why is the email down?

Amazing Contest Discription: The Rules for Hold Building!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 09:44 AM]
05-29-2007 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
What ever happened to wrapping up contests in a month?

But, I really don't mind submissions going on longer. The more the merrier! :D
05-29-2007 at 11:08 PM
NiroZ
Yeah, you guys are right. In negative 877 weeks, 5 days, the submission topic will close.
05-30-2007 at 12:54 AM
techant
You changed your avatar to a blowing up smilie I hope that is not how you feel....

05-30-2007 at 07:25 AM
NiroZ
techant wrote:
You changed your avatar to a blowing up smilie I hope that is not how you feel....
Nothing to do with the contest, I assure you.
05-30-2007 at 07:44 AM
NiroZ
Contest ending very soon! For real this time!

As for the inevitable poll, it's going to be a tad late as I don't think its wise to post such a thing on so little sleep.
06-02-2007 at 02:10 PM
techant
Thanks for posting the poll -- so many hold glad they are small. :thumbsup

Amazing Contest Discription: DEAD END!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 09:33 AM]
06-03-2007 at 03:51 AM
NiroZ
Contestant Winners
1st Place : Voyager with PoPS
2nd Place : Doom with Steam Vents and Ravon with Artful escape
3rd place : Chaco with An Unexpected Vacation

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-27-2007 08:15 AM : How on earth did I mix that up]
06-27-2007 at 07:21 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Elemental Showcase (+2)  
NiroZ wrote:
Contestant Winners
2nd Place : Doom with Steam Vents and Jason with Artful escape

Uh... I got forth place, not 2nd. And my hold wasn't Artful Escape.

06-27-2007 at 07:29 AM
Chaco
Uh, wow. To be honest, I was going to be perfectly fine with fourth place and the recognition of a job well done that comes with it, but then the tie came along and the necessary moving up one place of everyone beneath it.

Anyway, I look forward to the less-than-inevitable compilation.

06-27-2007 at 02:29 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
NiroZ wrote:
Contestant Winners
2nd Place : Doom with Steam Vents and Ravon with Artful escape

I was actually going to rate my hold a nine in comparison to PoPS, which I fully think deserved it's first place position, but then my competitive nature got in the way :? . Great job, everyone.
06-28-2007 at 05:22 PM
coppro
Ravon wrote:
I was actually going to rate my hold a nine in comparison to PoPS, which I fully think deserved it's first place position, but then my competitive nature got in the way :? . Great job, everyone.
Rating yourself a 10 is mandatory. Don't feel bad. For instance, my underperforming, written-in-one-minute entry to B.A.C.K.R.O.N.Y.M. has 1 ten vote - my own. I don't think I deserved it, but that's the fair play rules.
06-29-2007 at 08:34 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know, I still don't understand why rating yourself a 10 is mandatory, rather than, say, suggested. In the interests of full disclosure: I've rated my own entry less than 10 before, in other contests, when I thought that other people's entries were genuinely better than mine. I don't believe I was hurting anyone other than myself by doing so, but if I was breaking a rule of contests and should therefore be ostracized, well, now it's out in the open.
06-30-2007 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Well the problem is that it's very hard for someone to judge their entry accurately. Then again, the only one your affecting is yourself, so I'm not exactly concerned about such behaviour.
07-01-2007 at 01:29 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tahnan wrote:
You know, I still don't understand why rating yourself a 10 is mandatory, rather than, say, suggested. In the interests of full disclosure: I've rated my own entry less than 10 before, in other contests, when I thought that other people's entries were genuinely better than mine. I don't believe I was hurting anyone other than myself by doing so, but if I was breaking a rule of contests and should therefore be ostracized, well, now it's out in the open.

There's two factors to it:

1 - Eliminate any stigma for voting 10 to yourself. That's why it started - people were complaining about other people voting 10 for themselves. The more optional it is, the more likelihood there is people will start insisting people don't do it.

2 - You can't judge your own work by the same criteria as you judge other people if you are in any way emotionally involved. All the other work is judged on relatively equal ground - they're all equally competition. Your work is something else. What really should be done is to prevent people from voting on their own work at all. That's impossible without major changes to the forum, so the next best option is to eliminate decision making from the process, thereby leveling the field.

Obviously, this law isn't really enforceable - but it was designed so that people violating it hurt their own chances of winning, not other people's chances. Making it a recommendation just introduces a layer of complexity and possible trouble.

07-01-2007 at 03:54 PM
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Elemental Showcase (Our Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com