Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Beethro's First Job (May's contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (0)  
techant wrote:
I am guessing that it is 5AM EST, on 05/20/2005. If that is wrong please let me know.
Well, technically, it's tomorrow at noon where I am, which is the eastern timezone. In reality, it'll probably be later in the afternoon, since I won't get out of class until 1 or 2. As soon as I'm able to, though, I'll make a poll with the entries and everyone will be able to vote.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-20-2005 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+1)  
Canon "question"/thoughts:

despite the use of the word "Delver" in the title of the 3 canonical Beethro stories (collectively titled "Beethro the Delver") my impression was that this was an Imperial term for what the surface dwellers thought of as en exterminator, smiter, or dunger (or Smitemaster once in the guild), and not something which would be uttered by a surface dweller unless they had contact with the Empire.

I thought it a sort of perjorative, anyway. "These are the nasty people delving into our domain". Whereas from a surface point of view the profession is a little more respectable "these are the people cleaning out our dungeons."

Also "hold" is definitely an Empire term for what the surface people know as "dungeons." I know this because Beethro wouldn't need correction from the Negotiator otherwise ("Actually, we call them holds" she said).

05-20-2005 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, if we're talking excruciatingly minor details like that, if they were to become canon, you'd just change a couple words, I figure.
05-21-2005 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
I imagine that Erik should be allowed to go over the story that wins with a fine-tooth comb and make suggestions so that it'll fit snugly with what we know of the Eighth. As you said, in most stories only a word or a sentance here or there would need to be changed. That would all be between the author and Erik, though.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-21-2005 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Everyone do not miss voting go there now :w00t

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6377

[Edited by techant at Local Time:05-21-2005 at 06:20 AM]

Amazing Contest Discription: Contest Ends!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 09:57 AM]
05-21-2005 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Malarame wrote:
I imagine that Erik should be allowed to go over the story that wins with a fine-tooth comb and make suggestions so that it'll fit snugly with what we know of the Eighth. As you said, in most stories only a word or a sentance here or there would need to be changed. That would all be between the author and Erik, though.

agreed, except I don't think the winner is any more guaranteed of becomming the canonical story of Beethro's first job than the winner of the Map of the Eighth contest was guaranteed of becoming the canonical map of the Eighth (the ultimate "true" map comprised elements from the various entries as well as a lot of Erik's own ideas)

05-21-2005 at 11:41 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I'm only beginning to read through the entries now, and find downloading 15-17 entries separately and reading them in order a bit confusing. Might it be possible to put them all in a zip file of some sort to make it easier to read through them?

05-26-2005 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
agaricus5 wrote:
I'm only beginning to read through the entries now, and find downloading 15-17 entries separately and reading them in order a bit confusing. Might it be possible to put them all in a zip file of some sort to make it easier to read through them?
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6377&page=0#64071

05-26-2005 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
go here. Look for silver's post, it's number eight or so. He has what you're looking for.

05-26-2005 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oops!

I guess I wasn't following this contest closely enough to notice.

Sorry about that.

05-26-2005 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I really wish I'd been on the forums over the past month, I would have loved to have entered this contest. My creative writing time has been lessening as of late.

05-30-2005 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61

File: when_beethro_was_a_lad.txt (9.9 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Other
I never got my submission in before the contest deadline, but perhaps my story will entertain one or two people.
06-18-2005 at 10:03 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Beethro's First Job (May's contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com