Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: The City Beneath not released as planned (Not a joke)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon DROD: The City Beneath not released as planned (+2)  
The crack Caravel dev team has been working round the clock from all parts of the world to bring The City Beneath to you. We had bar excitement leading up to JtRH, and Matt helped take that to the next level with TCB's DeadlyBarOfDeath, then bar goodies, which led to Mr. Bar, poser bars, all variety of bar secrets, and the Riddle of the Bar.

People have been reading in all kinds of secret meaning into the periodic, fractional bar progress updates. Some people think there's some subtle or blatant trickery going on, and obviously you're expecting some kind of joke.

Well, the truth of the matter is that we couldn't come up with an April Fool's joke to top the one from two years ago. We could do something like release a big message saying, "TCB IS OUT!", and then, you know, it's not really out. So everyone gets confused and looks around for it, but they don't find anything, cause, well, it's not out, after all. But we're not going to do something like that this year.

I've been long shooting for a March release, and lately have gained the extra incentive of eagerly expecting BeefontheBone to eat his words, along with his hat. I was envisioning that he would have someone film him doing it and then he could upload it somewhere for us to see. (That was the plan, right?)

But we don't have things in place, and I'm disappointed it won't come to pass as expected. We're not dropping the project -- we've just got more things to take care of, you know, before it's really available.

There are lots of crazy people to meet and wild puzzles in TCB, and we hope you'll be surprised and amazed when you see it. For inspiration in story design, I turned to Godel, Escher, Bach. I recall reading a chapter in that book where Achilles and the Tortoise are chatting, as usual, about surprise story endings, and then the police break into their place and haul one of them off or something like that. As they had (coincidentally) been discussing, bizarre events like that, which didn't make any sense, carrying no cohesion or precedent with the earlier story, were supposed to be a sign that at some earlier point in the text, the story had actually ended.

It was written that way just to make sure that people weren't expecting the ending to occur right where the words ended. So they added some "word padding" to the end of the text and only people who had really been paying attention would have noticed where the "real" story ended and the padding began. So that's a bit like how things will be with TCB. So I'm going to get back to playing WoW now, and once I get my druid to level 70, then I'll finish coding up the unicycle track and building those last few puzzle rooms.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2007 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: DROD: The City Beneath not released as planned (0)  
They're not lying this time :(

04-01-2007 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
So many comments to make....so little enthusiasm to do so.

04-01-2007 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
04-01-2007 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: DROD: The City Beneath not released as planned (+1)  
I'm completely ignoring this thread. We know that theres going to be an April 1st Illumination, which no doubt is going to contain precisely what we need to know. Theres no need for them to announce anything twice, so I'll take the official illumination one as the truth, and this as a joke :)
04-01-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
If there really is inspiration from Godel, Escher, Bach I await with baited breath! And not just cause I've been eating garlic fries or anything.
And I might just have to finally try to read the couple chapters of that book that I never really wrapped my head around.

BbJ

04-01-2007 at 02:18 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
mrimer,

you're either an extremely mean person, or...

wait, no, I can't think of an or.

We shall see.

04-01-2007 at 02:21 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Wait, wait.

Mrimer plays a druid?

Feral or Balance?
04-01-2007 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Banjooie wrote:
Wait, wait.

Mrimer plays a druid?

Feral or Balance?
I'm resto, all the way, baby.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2007 at 03:10 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Oh well. It would have been too good to be true had it been released tomorrow.

Or maybe it's too good to be true that it can't be released now. Who knows which is false.
04-01-2007 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
mrimer wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Wait, wait.

Mrimer plays a druid?

Feral or Balance?

Feral/resto here. Druids are great fun.

04-01-2007 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ

I'm certain that this choice of date is no coincidence. I mean, yesterday would have been a much better date.

I wonder, is the 'ask questions about TCB' thread for real? The weather effects have to be a joke.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-01-2007 06:45 AM]
04-01-2007 at 03:30 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
mrimer wrote:
Wh?!

Then again, noone would have expected me to be resto between 35 and 60 anyway. Healbots come in the strangest of places.
04-01-2007 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Here's something those of us that might have forgotten: An unhide tag in the Watch the Bar thread from gamer_extreme_101.

04-01-2007 at 04:36 AM
TripleM
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Here's something those of us that might have forgotten: An unhide tag in the Watch the Bar thread from gamer_extreme_101.
Ssh.. he may have forgotten, but now he may go and change it to a later date :(
04-01-2007 at 04:43 AM
NiroZ
And here's a rather juicy one from rowrow linky
04-01-2007 at 04:57 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
As a side note, at the time of this post, it's still three hours from midnight in Erik's time zone of residence.

04-01-2007 at 05:01 AM
TripleM
Hey, I just had an idea. The whole thing with BeefOnTheBone eating his hat was if the game was released *before* April 1st. So now we have an announcement that that isn't going to happen. Yet we know there will be an announcement tomorrow in the illumination. Hmm.. so I don't think this message rules out an April 1st release ;)
04-01-2007 at 05:14 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
TripleM wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Ssh.. he may have forgotten, but now he may go and change it to a later date :(

Aww, you had to go and give him that idea, didn't you? Does anybody have any cached versions of that page? Would that even work to see the message?

04-01-2007 at 05:53 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Aww, you had to go and give him that idea, didn't you? Does anybody have any cached versions of that page? Would that even work to see the message?
I don't know, not me, yes.
04-01-2007 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Actually, one person has seen the message behind it, so that'll be enough to prove that I had at least some kind of super-knowledge.

And just to let you all know - I had that page bookmarked and was changing it constantly. I always have to try and stat ahead of you guys.

04-01-2007 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
mrimer wrote:
I've been long shooting for a March release, and lately have gained the extra incentive of eagerly expecting BeefontheBone to eat his words, along with his hat. I was envisioning that he would have someone film him doing it and then he could upload it somewhere for us to see. (That was the plan, right?)

We already know it wasn't released in March, so has Mike told us anything new? I'm still expecting a release any time now.

However, if it's tomorrow that will be fine for me as I'll be in Dublin all day today. ;)

Steve.
04-01-2007 at 08:21 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Stephen4Louise wrote:
However, if it's tomorrow that will be fine for me as I'll be in Dublin all day today. ;)

Oh lucky man!!! :bounce what a way to get over the disappointment (:console ) of not having TCB - a day in Dublin. I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!! :sick (this is the only green smilie I could find) :cheers:

04-01-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Oh well. At least, TCB isn't a prank, right?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-01-2007 at 01:53 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Oh well. At least, TCB isn't a prank, right?

emmm . . . are you sure about that? having whipped almost everybody here up to some kind of frenzy of expectation, the Dev Team could be sitting somewhere comfortable, beer in hand, chortling merrily at our expense. :w00t

04-01-2007 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
I think they can still play April Fools joke on us if they release DROD:TCB today at 23:59.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-01-2007 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Ack! I'm so confused at the best of times! Gah!
*Adds more distressed noises*
ONOS! Bah! Nooo!
04-01-2007 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
I like the part where you posted copyrighted pictures again.
04-01-2007 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Really? I didn't. :)
04-01-2007 at 02:51 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Ezlo wrote:
Really? I didn't. :)
I was really intrigued at the supreme awesomness of the usage of the secret bars.
04-01-2007 at 03:20 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: The City Beneath not released as planned (Not a joke)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com