Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Goblin Talk! (Our official contest for January)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Goblin Talk! (+2)  
After the November Illumination, a little voice popped inside my head, as often happens to people when telling stories. This one is slightly unusual, as it said “Me thinks zit thisum idea good, usezit”.

Following the generally held advice on how to deal with voices, I ignored it. Hearing voices is not a very popular habit. But, this was a persistent voice “Usum ignoring me, I don’t shut jaw until you listen”

This had me worried, and so I retorted “But what does it matter if I am not listening to you”. This was a very large tactical mistake, as soon as I said that, the voice responded saying “AH, but I thinks you trickering me, you hears me good. Me sez you do contest, NOW, I sezzit!”.

Being left with no alternative unless I wished to live with this imbecile of a creature, I promptly went along and designed this contest, Goblin Talk.

Rules
Your entry must be between 90-1000 words, all of it written in Goblinspeak. What is goblinspeak? It’s the strange dialect of English which goblins in the world of the Eighth(where DROD takes place) use to speak. If you’ve played DROD for a while, I’m sure you’ve come across some examples. Erik wrote a little guide to writing Goblinspeak at the link below:

Top 10 Ways To Improve Your Goblin Dialogue

For this contest, you can write about anything you want. It can be a short story, a speech, a news article, excerpts from a chat log, a witty text advertisement, an essay about how you spend a day talking goblin. The sky is the limit.

You may submit up to 2 entries.

Keep it within the rules of this forum. If you’re unsure, feel free to talk to me about it.

Participating
The link below goes to a submission topic where you can post replies that will only be seen by yourself and me—not that other players. This is where you should post the text of your contest entry. You can submit your entry in the message body or attach the document itself, and you may edit your entry/entries as many times as you wish, right up until the deadline.

Submit it here!

Timing
The deadline for you to post your contest entry is…

Local Time:01-21-2006 at 12:00 PM

After that, I will no longer accept submissions, and it will be time for people to vote on entries. Voters will be asked to consider entertainment value of the entry and skill in capturing the Goblinspeak style.

After voting starts, we could also have some fun making recordings of the dialogue if anyone is interested, but this would not be part of the contest.

Prizes
First place shall receive 100 rank points, and 1 item from the prize pile.
Second place shall receive 50 rank points, and the knowledge that they almost came first.
Third place shall receive 25 rank points, and the satisfaction of coming third.
Anyone who has not tried a contest before gets 10 rank points, no questions asked.
All contestants will receive the thrill of participating in this contest.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-21-2007 05:16 AM]
01-02-2007 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Goblin Talk! (+1)  
Neat! I like it a lot! Will be starting on this as soon as possible!
01-02-2007 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Goblin Talk! (0)  
Wowz! Me likes! Me is thinks this good idea! I sezzit!
01-02-2007 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
One entry per person? Because I have two ideas.

01-02-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
I think I will allow people to submit 2 entries if they so wish. But because I am worried that that could greatly increase the number of entries that are submitted, given the large number of mediums people could use, I would advise that you or anyone else wishing to submit more than one entry should favour one entry over the other, as should there turn out to be a huge amount of entries, I may decide to cut down the number of entries by removing the second entry that people have submitted.

Rest assured that in that scenario, I would of course give you Adequate warning and a choice between the two of your entries.

EDIT: you may now submit 2 entries unconditionally.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-21-2007 04:55 AM]
01-02-2007 at 07:41 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Azzi! Ezzi! Izzi! Ozzi! Wait. What's the other vowel? :P

01-02-2007 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jason wrote:
Azzi! Ezzi! Izzi! Ozzi! Wait. What's the other vowel? :P
Uzi. :spamlaser

01-02-2007 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
"Egzellent idea!"

:trumpet
01-02-2007 at 11:12 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Hey, I totally would have said that was going to happen or something, except I was out of town for New Year's.

It's a good idea, and I've already begun practicing. Erik, look what you've started now...

01-02-2007 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Mattcrampy wrote:
You could tag the two ideas together into one by having, say, two goblins each telling their own tale or version of events. Just an idea.

I think multiple entries may confuse things.

[EDIT]

Grammar

[Last edited by Syntax at 01-02-2007 10:43 PM]
01-02-2007 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Syntax wrote:
You could tag the two ideas together into one by having, say, two goblins each telling their own tale or version of events. Just an idea.

Sadly, there's no way to join the two together in one story.

01-03-2007 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Clarified the submission process a bit.

Edited into the article, under participation:
You can submit your entry in the message body or attach the document itself, and you may edit your entry/entries as many times as you wish, right up until the deadline.

Hope that helps.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-09-2007 03:22 AM]
01-09-2007 at 03:21 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Writing something in Goblin talk is harder than it looks! Since I'm leaving on a vacation soon and I really just can't get started I think I'm going to bow out of this one. I can't wait to see the other entries though when I get back.
01-09-2007 at 03:45 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I needed to work on my goblin speak...

Got minzit inzit.....

Amazing Contest Discription: The Challenge!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 07:54 AM]
01-09-2007 at 08:42 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
6--------------------------------------9
|                                      |
| To whom it may concern:              |
|    We have spoken with a certain     |
| goblin. He says he has seen a delver |
| in restricted Empire space recently. |
| The contents of his report have been |
| archived in the appropriate thread.  |
|                   - Chaco            |
|                   - 6013th Linguist  |
6--------------------------------------9

01-17-2007 at 12:59 AM
NiroZ
Just a friendly reminder from your contest host that now you only have negative 896 weeks, 4 days left until the contest closes and the epic pieces of goblin speech will go on display, and you don't want to miss out do you?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-21-2007 11:46 AM]
01-18-2007 at 12:00 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I just want to encourage everyone to stay focused we must break the goblin code sooner rather than later....

Get your entries in so we can all see the work that has been done...

"I meens zit"

01-19-2007 at 08:09 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh, techant, I so wish you hadn't said that. I didn't have an entry until now, but...
01-19-2007 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Removed
, but bear in mind that I may change this rule to 1 entry, should this prove problematic.
So now you can submit that second entry, safe in the knowledge it will remain in the contest.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-20-2007 02:29 AM]
01-19-2007 at 10:57 PM
NiroZ
You now have 1 day and 2 hours left until the closure of submissions. Be sure to use it wisely.
01-20-2007 at 08:28 AM
NiroZ
you now have less than 7 hours to go, If your planning on making an entry (or reading through and correcting an entry), you'd better hurry up.
01-21-2007 at 04:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Goblin Talk! (Our official contest for January)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com