Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Re: Message from the King (0)  
masonjason wrote:

I'm shocked by the number of people who don't simply trust that what he's pre-announcing is in some significant way worth pre-announcing.

Nothing but TCB is worth pre-announcing. Nothing at all is worth double pre-announcing. That's my stand. (OT-Are you in good hands?)

michthro wrote:

If you're complaining about being kept in suspense, then, really...

I don't want to come across as complaining about being kept in suspense. I do enjoy TCB preannouncements (a la here) However, I AM complaining about being put in unnecessary suspense. Everybody who plays DROD is in eager anticipation for TCB. Thus the TCB preannouncements are cool little ways of easing this suspense, giving us all little tidbits before we actually get the game, so we're not all pestering "What's going to be in there?!" This, on the other hand, seems totally unrelated, and adds unnecessary suspense/tension. Especially when Larry postponed it further. Not cool.

11-15-2006 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I suppose you could split this issue into two related parts:

1) Why does something (and someone) deserve hyping on the General board? What criteria set it above everyone else who doesn't get a hype? Should everyone have (or nor have) the right to preannounce? (The social problem)

2) What makes an advert such that it deserves equal (or more) amounts of time devoted to it as any other post? Is the General Board appropriate for preannouncements? (The cluttering problem)

I believe the cluttering problem (number 2) has been covered by other people, so I'm mostly going to be talking about the implicit social problem (number 1) I mentioned above in this post.

masonjason wrote:
Agaricus is taking it as axiomatic that the forum ought to be democratic. But why shouldn't Larrymurk be able to get away with posting things that a new poster wouldn't? My answer is that he should, because he's repeatedly proven that he won't abuse that leeway, and I'm shocked by the number of people who don't simply trust that what he's pre-announcing is in some significant way worth pre-announcing.
Okay, so what's the definition of "he should, because he's repeatedly proven that he won't abuse that leeway", then? At what point do we say that the statement above is or is not applicable to person "x"? Rank points? Holds? Personality?

For example, I've never preannounced anything. Therefore, should I be allowed to preannounce? More importantly, if I did, would you appreciate and respond to it in the same way as has been done to other preannouncements, since that would be why I did it? What if an architect working on a first hold in private that is of very high quality wants to preannounce?

The social issue here is not just a matter of whether we trust if the announcement is "in some significant way worth pre-announcing". It's also about how significant that announcement is compared to whatever anyone else wants to say on this board. Each thread on this board is created reasonably equal; everyone can read them, everyone can post opinions, all of them are also readable, and the thread is contained as a unit. By posting what is essentially an advert, you are elevating yourself and your message above this level, and essentially saying that your post and object is in some way deserving of hype that other threads do not have.

I personally don't like the whole shout-out in advance business, but I'm willing to go along with it as long as we resolve it in a defined way, as I described above. As I've said before, I think it's dangerous to have social bending of rules for people to do things that most others cannot. One of the good things about this forum is the fact that we are all accountable to each other for what we do, which helps us all to post well, repect other people's opinions, and generate this nice atmosphere. Even as a content editor, I am as responsible for my posts and actions as any of you; if you don't like what I've done, then you've a right to say so. Similarly, I do not have a monopoly over what goes onto the site. In fact, what goes on is pretty much determined by what the community has done and currently wants; I'm only compiling it.

And do you really care if there are a few pre-announcements per month on the general board? If you don't like them, that's at most five seconds of your time wasted. If you do, it adds to the whole "eager anticipation of new info" atmosphere that I think is the very essence of this forum, and that's got to be a good thing.
The major difference is that DROD is something that applies to and is important to all of us DROD players. A preannouncement of something else by someone is more applicable to that said person and object, because it increases the importance of the thing relative to all other related things present (DROD can't be elevated above itself; it's DROD!). A measure of how much an announcement is "cluttering" or "enhancing" the board could be how relevant it is to the community in terms of DROD "the game".

On the social aspect of the problem, if we allow some people to preannounce and not others based on some highly subjective or arbitrary criteria, we get elitism. Such a person could preannounce in a way that would get attention and acclaim, while if someone else mimicked this, the result could be ignoring and stigmatism. We've already had problems where people have perceived they were targets for negative behaviour, even though this wasn't true, so it wouldn't be wise to encourage it to happen for real.

Our community is growing like never before; we could well be entering a new phase in the Forum's social development (the previous one was the moderation system), so this might possibly be one of the unfortunate side-effects.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm kind of going in a circle with this point, so I'm not going to push it any further. Anything I've said regarding the issue is probably now fully covered.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-15-2006 02:12 PM]
11-15-2006 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I have no idea what Larry is thinking about all this and I hope he's not too upset. But before other people become upset later, there are two things I think it's important to clarify:

A - Whatever it is Larry is pre-announcing, it has nothing to do with TCB. Part of the reason I'm against this sort of pre-announcement is that it builds people's hopes up. If some people end up disappointed because they were really hoping for a TCB spoiler, no-one benefits.

B - I agree with the sentiment that some people expressed above that Larry, by virtue of his great achievements, can get away with stuff that other people cannot. I just don't agree with how this sentiment is supposed to be implemented. If you decide to make a pre-announcement within a few days of a lot of other people on the forum requesting that people stop pre-announcing things, you'll get people complaining. People are complaining politely, without flames or insults, but complaining nonetheless. And note that it seems to me that dowmods are a pretty polite form of complaint. At least that's what they were created to be.

What's special about Larry that's not special about any random Joe Forumuser is that regardless of all this commotion, Larry is still going to be respected and admired by everyone here. No-one will ever remember Larry as "the guy who started the big pre-announcement fight of '06", but always as "one of the most brilliant architects in the DROD community". He may have a couple mod points less, but honestly, who would ever care about that?

But partially this reasoning works the other way, too. Whatever it is Larry is announcing, it's sure to be interesting. It's sure to grab the attention of nearly everyone in the forum. Larry doesn't *need* pre-announcements to generate interest, because anything that Larry announces is automatically exciting. If he skipped the pre-announcement, he'd have had just as much interest, but without confusing and disappointing people about TCB, without annoying all the people who already expressed their irritation with pre-announcment, and without starting a huge argument. I'm sure he never meant to do any of those things, and I'm sure he's pretty surprised that he did, but hey, that's life. You can't always predict the results of your actions, even if you are one of the top hold architects.

edit: Just for clarification, when I started writing this post the two posts (Zex and Wesley) above it haven't been posted yet. It's not a response to them, it's a response to the discussion on the last page.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-15-2006 02:03 PM]
11-15-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Message from the King (+1)  
I know this has been said before, but I guess I just don't understand why we need to formalize pre-anouncement etiquette at all. It seems to me that the mod system is designed to handle things like this already. Just vote with your mod points. If you like it, mod up, if you don't, mod down. If you don't like people modding preannouncements down, then undo the down-modding and mod the modders down. I think at this point that any mod up or down on a preannouncement is a referendem of the people's will. The inherent problem with a formalized system is that The People's will changes frequently and with out warning (consider this a pre-announcement of the fickleness of the general population's feelings about pre-announcements). If we decide today, we may regret it tomorrow when something we didn't think of comes up (and it usually does). For example, we may decide today that all pre-announcements are bad and should be modded down. But then somebody comes out with the most knee-slappingingly hillarious pre-pre-pre-announcement. That shouldn't be punished, but it will be as a matter of course. The mod system handles all of these eventualities elegantly on a case-by-case basis. I think we just need to realize that your current rank score isn't a (absolute/direct) measure of how much We The People like or dislike you.

11-15-2006 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Actually, I don't even know what the message is. In order to hear the message you'll have to meet with the King's official messenger in the hold:

Don't Kill the Messenger

Coming soon to a DROD forum near you.
11-15-2006 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
So it's a hold called Don't Kill The Messenger. :|

Couldn't you have stated that in the first place?
11-15-2006 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
...Okay, that was unexpected. Well played LM. Well played.

11-15-2006 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Don't Kill the Messenger

Buahahaha... totally appropriate considering the thread! Two points for finally making the announcement and 2 more for being meta-relavent.

[Last edited by stigant at 11-15-2006 02:50 PM]
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
larrymurk wrote:

Don't Kill the Messenger

I think that quote has special meaning today and specially in this thread!
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
zex20913 wrote:
...Okay, that was unexpected. Well played LM. Well played.

Why? I mean, he was pre-announcing a pre-announcement. It seems to me that you called it right.

11-15-2006 at 02:59 PM
zex20913
But the way he did it meant he was expecting this sort of thread to develop. I fell right into the trap.

I guess I'm being kind of hypocritical...but even though this one turned me 180 degrees, I'm still against double pres.

11-15-2006 at 03:02 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
You weren't kidding about coming soon! :smile
11-15-2006 at 03:06 PM
eytanz
That's my fault :blush

I accidentally hit the promote button in the hold admin - we're supposed to wait 24 hours from hold posting but I forgot about that for a second.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-15-2006 03:09 PM]
11-15-2006 at 03:08 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
I wouldn't worry too much, judging by the first room it might be a while before anyone actually hears the kings message!

Steve
11-15-2006 at 03:09 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It's cool that message works, but it's also very uncool that Larry acted intentionally provokatively (as proved by the message).

+X-X, net worth = 0. And -1 for the whole preannouncement stuff which I'm finding less and less cool day after another. (Scale is imaginary and not related to rank points)

And into less serious stuff:

Technically, we can 'kill' the messenger, since Larry is the person who sent the him in the first place! Now, had this been someone else's hold... :)
11-15-2006 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
icon Re: Message from the King (+5)  
Just a couple things.

1. I have never down- modded anyone.
2. I think it is fun to hear about upcoming holds. I actually intended to have three posts all along since DKtM has three levels and.." Anyhow, I just changed my second post to the thing about waiting another day for down-modding for the fun of it. I'm not insulted, I didn't feel sorry for myself getting down-modded, and I wasn't trying to exact revenge on anyone.

Happy DRODDING all!
11-15-2006 at 03:18 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Message from the King (+2)  
Now I'm really confused. In the end it was just another pre-announcement he was pre-announcing. Fine, so the pre-pre-announcement is appropriate in the context of the thread, but how does that affect general feelings about pre-announcements, which is the point at which we have only now finally arrived? Some of those who are *so* strongly against pre-announcements made complete 180 degree turns. Come on. Make a little sense, please. I hope you at least learned that you should have waited to see what it's about.

And provoking a fight just to work off a joke? :thumbsdown
11-15-2006 at 03:32 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
How is it possible that this hold already have two votes of five? Feels like some kind of mistake.

11-15-2006 at 04:37 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It's the same old needs to be voted for downloading in-game thing. Done by two people at the same time. Those'll change after they complete the hold.
11-15-2006 at 04:38 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Doom wrote:
It's the same old needs to be voted for downloading in-game thing. Done by two people at the same time. Those'll change after they complete the hold.
Ummm... is that still neccessary now that holds need to be approved anyway? (Assuming this is implemented server-side by not sending unrated holds to the client...)

11-15-2006 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Firstly, I know this could be considered as reviving the semi-flame-war. Please don't take it as that. I just feel I have to respond to this post, on page 1:
NiroZ wrote:This isn't some new person who we have never met before, this is Larrymurk, so maybe we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt?
This logic disturbs me. We should give people who have known the rules for a long time benefit of the doubt, but those who are new we shouldn't? How does that make sense?
11-15-2006 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I saw NiroZ's comment as meaning "someone newly registered". If this had been the case, the first post could have been considered spam and possibly inappropriate.
11-15-2006 at 08:12 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I agree. It's just a matter of reputation. It's a strong thing this reputation. Its definition: the general opinion of the public towards a person. Sometimes when I make a post that is risky or do something risky I say to myself: "My fate is sealed." ;) I haven't been here for long compared to some people. But say some old good member was being stupid, probably, I say probably, people would just say they were being funny or some excuse like that. Now say a new member did that, he would be modded down into oblivion and be disabled. Okay, maybe not disabled but there still is a huge difference. Just my opinion. :)

11-15-2006 at 08:18 PM
Syntax
I agree with Jason on this one. It's human nature.

I have a lot of respect for a lot of people on these forums. That *does* mean it influences what I think, how I reply, and generally how I behave.

This is what makes us human. Imagine if democracy was fair! What a boring place it would be...
11-15-2006 at 08:22 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Syntax: Point taken. I read it as "New people should be scolded for making pre-announcement, etc topics, but well-known people shouldn't".

Jason, I realise that's likely the case. It's just that IMHO, it should almost be the other way around, as new people shouldn't be hit over the head with a rock for making a mistake. Sure, they should read the rules, but longer-existing members should know them too.
11-15-2006 at 08:24 PM
larrymurk
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Syntax: Point taken. I read it as "New people should be scolded for making pre-announcement, etc topics, but well-known people shouldn't".

Jason, I realise that's likely the case. It's just that IMHO, it should almost be the other way around, as new people shouldn't be hit over the head with a rock for making a mistake. Sure, they should read the rules, but longer-existing members should know them too.

Am I missing something?

Is there a rule on the forum that says one should not announce/preannounce an upcoming hold?

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-15-2006 08:35 PM]
11-15-2006 at 08:28 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Sheesh. The whole idea of announcements and pre-announcements is just for fun anyway.
I for one am always happy to hear that Larrymurk is bringing out a new hold. He's doing so faster than I'm managing to play them!

11-15-2006 at 08:34 PM
Syntax
AtkinsSJ wrote:
It's just that IMHO, it should almost be the other way around, as new people shouldn't be hit over the head with a rock for making a mistake. Sure, they should read the rules, but longer-existing members should know them too.
You're absolutely right... and it probably would happen that way.

Announcing something seems to be the order of the day however since this thread. I guess the fact it was larrymurk who announced next caused this thread to be as heated as it was. Making an example of anyone as respected as larrymurk will do this sort of thing, but I also believe the anti-announcement afficiando wanted to lay in to the next announcer.

As it turns out, everyone is now happy and enjoying the next hold... grateful someone is producing such great quality for so little in return.

[EDIT]

Post collision... The rules do not state anything against announcements in the General thread. In fact, it only says "Be good to each other".

Thanks larrymurk... I'm really enjoying your hold after my 10 hour day at work. Helps me unwind :)

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-15-2006 08:39 PM]
11-15-2006 at 08:36 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
larrymurk wrote:
AtkinsSJ wrote:

Am I missing something?

Is there a rule on the forum that says one should no announce/preannounce an upcoming hold?
There is no rule on this, but this is the issue that I was trying to bring up in discussion several times, but they got pretty much ignored each time, it seems. I don't know, maybe my posts are too long for people to read, they are confusing in some way, or maybe people just don't like reading my posts.

Nevertheless, I'm going to link them here and here again.

11-15-2006 at 08:37 PM
eytanz
larrymurk wrote:
Am I missing something?

Is there a rule on the forum that says one should not announce/preannounce an upcoming hold?

No rule except courtesy to your fellow forum posters who expressed irritation at the growing amount of pre-announcements.

Just to clarify my specific position here since the above can be interpreted in several ways. I feel that starting this thread was a fully legitimate action by Larry, which he was entitled to do and in full accordance with the rules of the forum.

I also feel that, due to the timing and manner in which it was done, it was in pretty poor taste.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-15-2006 09:04 PM]
11-15-2006 at 08:58 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com