Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An invitation of interest
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon An invitation of interest (+3)  
I've been getting a lot of mail recently that isn't actually addressed to me. Sometimes it's just some generic junk mail that is intended for "occupant", but I seem to get more than the normal share of mail addressed to someone who doesn't actually live here. You'd think the post office would understand after the 20th time I write "No longer at this address--return to sender!" on an envelope. I've even got the same letter back a second time, with my writing still on it!

However, the following piece of mail was different. It wasn't addressed to anyone at all, and the paper was unlike any I had ever seen before. My curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to open it and see what was inside. And, well...I'm glad I opened it. The text of what was inside reproduced below:

The Order of Engineers
Cordially Invites You
to Attend the Order's Annual
Banquet of Honor
for Lifetime Achievement
on Onsuary the 3rd, 147 BD
in the Banquet Hall

Please join us in recognizing the work of Fifth Engineer and her impact on Empire society and construction technology. Fifth Engineer has had many achievements after she graduated the Imperial Engineering College with an outstanding thesis on the topic of "Placing Obstacles on Walls". She has since advanced our understanding of such diverse fields as diagonal gate installation, the amount of heating that floors can withstand before becoming structurally unsound, and calculating the optimal level of crumbliness that should be exhibited by crumbly walls. But she is naturally best known for her influential work on "sister gates", which she will discuss tonight. (Please see the accompanying abstract for more information.)

Reception to Follow.
Please Announce Your
Intention to Attend with
Twenty-Fourth Administrative Assistant.

(The following sheet of paper was also included in the envelope.)

Sister Gates by Fifth Engineer

In this talk I will discuss the history, development, and subsequent implementation of sister gates. The research began as a natural offshoot of the ubiquitous yellow gate technology, which are well known to be controlled by orbs or, more recently, plates installed in the floor. The red, green, blue, and black gates were long considered inferior and not worthy of the time or money necessary to rebuild once they had been opened. After our stunning breakthroughs, we unveiled the "sister gates" for these other devices, putting them on a nearly equal footing with the yellow gates. At long last, architects could design around the functionality of gates that began open and then closed when their condition was met. The impact on the security systems of the Empire will also be discussed.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-12-2006 08:39 PM]
11-12-2006 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: An invitation of interest (0)  
So, in other words, this is the same as the 350 image?
11-12-2006 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yay! Happiness! I've been planning lots of puzzles around these for weeks since I thought they would be in! Thanks so much!
11-12-2006 at 01:46 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Oneiromancer wrote:
However, the following piece of mail was different. It wasn't addressed to anyone at all, and the paper was unlike any I had ever seen before. My curiosity got the best of me, and I just had to open it and see what was inside. And, well...I think you'll all agree that it was worth it.
Really?
Click here to view the secret text

Keep posting,

11-12-2006 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
A^wesome. I'm sensing a lot of challenges and great holds coming from this.

Oh, and there's a spoiler here, if anybody hasn't guessed.

11-12-2006 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yeah, that's what I thought! Game on indeed. :)

To confirm: anti-green, blue, red, black, and any other anti-door type implemented in TCB have been implemented.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-12-2006 03:15 AM]
11-12-2006 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Aah... this is good. Iīll get to work adding those to my style, now. Black will be the hardest, most likely.

Actually, the puzzle potential is astounding. A room where the puzzle is to get out before a serpent dies. Oneiromancer, is that the complete content of the message, or did it mention blue gates at all?

EDIT: Blue sister gates seem player-punishing. There must be SOME way around this, but I guess thereīs nothing that canīt be done with a fuse, a 1-narrow corridor, some blue gates and some bombs.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-12-2006 03:28 AM]
11-12-2006 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oneiromancer wrote:
The red, green, blue, and black gates were long considered inferior and not worthy of the time or money necessary to rebuild once they had been opened. After our stunning breakthroughs, we unveiled the "sister gates" for these other devices, putting them on a nearly equal footing with the yellow gates.

Why are blue sister-gates worse than green sister-gates?

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-12-2006 03:31 AM]
11-12-2006 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
There are heaps of uses for blue gates.

just have rooms that can't be solved unless you have walls in between.
11-12-2006 at 03:34 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182

Well, for one thing, they could go up in rooms without your knowing it. For another, they could block completion of the level if you clear a required room between the sister gate and the non-sister gate before completing the rest of the required rooms on the level. This would be especially painful since you likely cleared not just one but several rooms in the interim. All of that progress will be lost when you restore.

11-12-2006 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
stigant wrote:
Well, for one thing, they could go up in rooms without your knowing it. For another, they could block completion of the level if you clear a required room between the sister gate and the non-sister gate before completing the rest of the required rooms on the level. This would be especially painful since you likely cleared not just one but several rooms in the interim. All of that progress will be lost when you restore.
Normal blue gates can also be used to make non-required rooms impossible to solve (consider one of the more famous user-made DROD holds). It's one of those game elements that needs to be used carefully, and probably not too often in any case. (The blue ones, not the rest.)

I'd like to go into more detail on a lot of things, but we can't just yet. I will say that there is indeed a lot of potential and I'm sure people can imagine many rooms that were impossible to create before.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-12-2006 at 04:11 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Blue sister gates would have been really handy in Level 8 of JtRH. It was, however, not to be.

You'd think the post office would understand after the 20th time I write "No longer at this address--return to sender!" on an envelope. I've even got the same letter back a second time, with my writing still on it!

Totally does not work like that, dude. It's addressed to the house, it gets delivered to the house. If you're getting someone else's mail, it's their responsibility to make sure their address is correct.

Basically what I'm saying is that people are sending you free mulch for your garden.

11-12-2006 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: An invitation of interest (+1)  
stigant wrote:

Well, for one thing, they could go up in rooms without your knowing it.

This is actually not possible.

11-12-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
eytanz wrote:
[anti-blue gates] could go up in rooms without your knowing it.
This is actually not possible.
Well, sure, you always know when blue gates move, but it's still possible you hadn't been to some non-required room and hence didn't know there were any anti-blue gates to go up.

But (to echo others' comments) if this is ever a problem, it's a case of badly designed hold, not a flaw with the game element.

11-12-2006 at 04:47 AM
coppro
icon Re: An invitation of interest (+2)  
Also, how have we managed to get the thingsī name incorrect multiple times within 6 hours? Itīs called a sister gate, not an anti-gate or a sister-gate. Or an anti-door. Or a hole.
11-12-2006 at 05:04 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
/Me likes. New ways to do things without really adding a new object to learn.

Mimics/Bombs + Tar/Mud + Black Sister gate -interaction, and the like sound tempting.

I've added this one as well to the Confirmed TCB Features. [link]
11-12-2006 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
This could be really, really, really nifty... Argh! When will TCB come?! :D

11-12-2006 at 04:57 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I can't wait for TCB now! Come on Mr.Bar!!! ;)
11-12-2006 at 05:08 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
tokyokid wrote:
Come on Mr.Bar!!! ;)
I think you mean Deadly Bar of Death. The other is a poser.

11-12-2006 at 05:34 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Yeah... thats what I meant... O:-
11-12-2006 at 05:59 PM
coppro

File: Sister Gate Concept.png (10.7 KB)
Downloaded 648 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: An invitation of interest (+2)  
Well, you know, I thought I might try and get in, but they kicked me out as soon as I did. I did, however, hear a presentation from an architect currently developing a radical new style, and I did manage to catch this concept drawing about sister gates:

[Last edited by coppro at 11-15-2006 04:50 AM : typos ftl]
11-13-2006 at 09:51 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I actually think we might have seen sister gates on this forum before. *Realization*.

11-16-2006 at 03:34 AM
eytanz
You know, it occurs to me that one thing that both this month's spoiler and last month's share in common is that most of the people on the thread are focusing on the obvious, and perhaps not paying enough attention to all the details.

Just a thought, really.

11-16-2006 at 03:36 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well I like the fact that there's a college in the Empire. Not as rigid and bee-hiveish as JTRH told us.
11-16-2006 at 03:54 AM
Mattcrampy
What I find interesting is that apparently the dev team has access to the Empire, and is on their mailing list. Presumably, they get the Empire's spam.

11-16-2006 at 04:26 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:
...most of the people on the thread are focusing on the obvious, and perhaps not paying enough attention to all the details...

Fair enough.

The Order of Engineers wrote:
...and her impact on Empire society and construction technology.

So the Empire has, er, a society. And technology. (Also, Engineers and Administrative Assistants.)

"Placing Obstacles on Walls"

In TCB, we'll be able to place obstacles on...er...walls.

...diagonal gate installation...

I admit I have no idea what that means. Diagonal gates?

...the amount of heating that floors can withstand before becoming structurally unsound...

Hmmm. So TCB will include some sort of heating element (flamethrowers?) and floors that melt (i.e. disappear) after a certain number of turns.

calculating the optimal level of crumbliness that should be exhibited by crumbly walls

Aha! And walls will have various levels of crumbliness.

...ubiquitous yellow gate technology, which are well known to be controlled by orbs or, more recently, plates installed in the floor.

So: floor plates. Check.

The impact on the security systems of the Empire will also be discussed.

And: the Empire has...ah...security. And systems for it.

That's all the details I could find--OK, there's also, let's see, "The Empire uses paper"; "The post office where Oneiromancer lives is worse than most"; "They have banquets"...

11-16-2006 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
eytanz wrote:
You know, it occurs to me that one thing that both this month's spoiler and last month's share in common is that most of the people on the thread are focusing on the obvious, and perhaps not paying enough attention to all the details.

Just a thought, really.
Hmm, at the expense of making a fool of myself, I would say that some of the connections between this one and last one are that they both have to do with doors and their various triggers. I wonder if there are any new doors in TCB.
Other things of interest are the fact that both spoilers are under the pretext of "look what I found in the mail!". Anyone want to guess in what form the next spoiler will come?

I also notice that both of them mention crumbly walls.
11-16-2006 at 06:38 AM
Mattcrampy
The Empire's security system, if I recall my canon correctly, are the doors and gates. They're sold by the DAA as a security feature against dungeon infestation, but no-one's ever wondered why the doors in a room shut before a room gets infected, not after. (The rather cold way the Empire treats its citizens suggests that they perhaps refer to the Poppies and other army divisions as their 'security system', or perhaps the various monsters are considered the security system - but I thought most of the monsters weren't considered useful as defense by the Empire.)

They may have another security system that was added during TCB development, but if they expect us to infer that from this, clearly they think we're not just puzzle fans but paranoids.

11-16-2006 at 07:41 AM
geomatrx
Rank Points: 339
It will be interesting to see how fuses set on blue sister gates will work. Another interesting puzzle element.

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
11-16-2006 at 12:37 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Tahnan wrote:
I admit I have no idea what that means. Diagonal gates?

Remember how, in AE, if you placed a gate diagonal to another gate they acted as the same gate? In JtRH they act as seperate gates. I think that's what is being talked about here.

11-16-2006 at 08:58 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An invitation of interest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com