Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Request a Feature! (Make a daddy long legs.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Request a Feature! (+1)  
I’m sure all of you have wanted to request a feature for DROD at one time or another. Yes? I thought so. Some of you may have gone on to post that feature idea in the Feature request forum, and a select few would have suggested an idea that has been labelled a Very Good Idea™.

Well, for this competition, I will be trying to see how many of you can think up a Very Good Idea™ . Your objective for this unoffical contest is to think up a feature, based apon the Daddy Long Legs Spider

Rules:
1. There is no restrictions on being a copycat(within reason). Anything you say can be used in a feature request.

2. This monster(it doesn’t have to be called a daddy long legs) must cover at least 4 squares at any one time(I would make it more, but I don’t want to cramp someone’s idea.)

3. You may only make one submission(which can be modified and changed as many times as you want, as long as its done before 18th). You may, however, list variations.

4. No mocking other peoples idea. Their idea may suck, and in that case you can vote it down, no need to insult them.

Voting.
I would like the voter to judge which request that you think would be the most enjoyable to have in DROD, and thus the most puzzle potential. Please don’t mark according to the complexity or how hard it would be to implement. Bonus points should be given for those who use the daddy long legs concept in an interesting way.

How to request.
The feature requests should be in the following format.

Name: (What you wish this Monster to be called)

Description: (what does it look like? What does it do, and any interesting trivia)

Movement: (how big/small is it, how does it move. Illustrations are allowed, but not required.)

Interaction: (how does it interact with Beethro? And what about brains and other monsters?)

Puzzle potential: (Be as discriptive or vague as you wish)

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

MISC: (anything you want to say, but can’t fit it into the above catagories.)

Variations: (you may leave this blank if you want)

Winning:
First place will recive 30 rank points
Second place will recive 20 rank points
Third place will recive 10 rank points

Everyone else will be given the satisfaction of knowing that they have added to the list of ideas that can be used in the future.
(Big thank you to Erik, who was was kind enough to offer these prizes)

Anonymity
In order to make sure that no one sub-consciously or consciously votes with who the person is that made up the Feature request in mind, I will do my best to keep all contestants completely anonymous, until the end of the contest.

Dates
In negative 912 weeks, I will create a submission topic, and you can submit your feature there. Then, one week later, innegative 910 weeks, 1 day, I will create a poll, for which you can all vote for which feature request you like the best.

Which means that this contest will close to submission's on Local Time:10-18-2006 at 08:00 AM
Unless you give me a very good reason.

This contest will then end in negative 908 weeks, 2 days and I will then award 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

NOTE THAT THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS FEATURE WILL ACTUALLY BE IMPLEMENTED!

My feature request.
As most of you have should probably figured, this contest idea sprung from a feature request that I couldn’t quite iron out. I have hid it untill the end of the contest, so afterwards, you can see why I didn't suggest it.

Name: Daddy Long Legs Of Death (DLLOD)

Description: This is a fairly large spider. It’s whole aim in life is to kill the wielder of the ‘great shiny thing™’

Movement: , covering 8 squares at any one time (like a 3x3 grid, with a hole in front of the head)it moves by stretching out 4 of its legs every turn, in the direction of beethro. It can also bunch up into a space of 6 squares if required.(by putting 4 of its legs on the wall). But in that case, it cannot turn around

Interaction: The Daddy long legs will never step on Beethro’s sword, however, Beethro can stab the daddy long legs anywhere but the belly and nothing will happen. If the daddy long legs head(or legs) should reach Beethro, he dies. If Beethro’s sword should reach the spiders belly, it dies. If there is a brain present, the Daddy Long legs will never allow itself to go down a 2 way passage. It can walk over other monsters.

Puzzle potential: Having a room containing a 2 way passage leading onto a 1 way passage, with a brain and a Daddy long legs, thus making a struggle to kill the brain to destroy the Daddy long legs

Advantages: A monster that cannot be blocked by other monsters(other than monsters of the same type it is), but can block other monsters.

Disadvantages:Large, cumbersome, not very useful.

MISC: none

Variations: none

So, what are you waiting for? Start thinking!

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-31-2006 12:26 PM]
10-04-2006 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Request a Feature! (+1)  
"GUARANTEE". Just a friendly note from your local spelling enthusiast.

Anyway, this seems like fun. Not going to enter an idea, but I'd like to see the ones that are made.

10-04-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Request a Feature! (0)  
Chaco wrote:
"GUARANTEE". Just a friendly note from your local spelling enthusiast.

Anyway, this seems like fun. Not going to enter an idea, but I'd like to see the ones that are made.

Fixed, thanks. Odd that microsoft word missed that one.

Anyway, I hope that everyone doesn't think like you. :lol
10-04-2006 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bunches
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 192
NiroZ wrote:

This message will be revealed in negative 804 weeks, 5 days.

We arn't going to see that untill the 25th of October 2008. :?
10-04-2006 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NiroZ wrote:
Winning:
First place will recive 30 mod points
Second place will recive 20 mod points
Third place will recive 10 mod points
I think you mean rank points; mod points aren't even awarded for official contests (unless one counts Erik's "Don't Ask and Ye Shall Receive").

10-04-2006 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Ok, I fixed those two things.

So, does anyone have any questions/corrections/comments on the actual contest as opposed to errors in my post?

If not, I might as well get the submission topic up and running.
10-05-2006 at 01:22 AM
NiroZ
As you can see, I have now started the Submission topic, post your entries there.
10-05-2006 at 07:29 AM
NiroZ
Ok guys, I'm gonna triple post in my own contest topic to tell you guys that there is now less than 1 week left to enter.

May I remind you guys and girls that anyone who enters at the moment has a very good chance of winning some rank points. Considering that you can't get more than 5-10 rank points for a normal feature request, thats a pretty good deal.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that what I have seen thus far has been quite impressive. You deserve a pat on the back :) .
10-12-2006 at 04:09 AM
NiroZ
Just a reminder to every one that this contest is almost closed to submission. I would really appreicate just one more entry so that I can award a 3rd place.
10-18-2006 at 04:19 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'll try.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-18-2006 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
NiroZ wrote:
Just a reminder to every one that this contest is almost closed to submission. I would really appreicate just one more entry so that I can award a 3rd place.

Whew! I just made it last night! I had totally forgotten to enter the contest, then at the last minute and typed something up. :)

edit: Only 6 days till we learn what your request is! ;)

[Last edited by tokyokid at 10-18-2006 11:09 PM]
10-18-2006 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Is there anything more I could have done to help remind you/others?
10-19-2006 at 07:37 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Request a Feature! (Make a daddy long legs.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com