Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Question about language and the DROD world
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Azsedcf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Question about language and the DROD world (0)  
Ok, I know about gob and gobing. Are there any other curse words used in the DROD world that are not curse words in ours?

Also, what are the rules concerning if a hold is based off of the idea of 'Bethro finding a hold off to the side on the way to the City Beneath'?
10-03-2006 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Question about language and the DROD world (+1)  
First Question: As far as I know, Gob, Jeebus, and Flaming Fegundo are the only ones that the canonical holds have used.

Second Question: I don't know if there are any rules for creating an on canon hold. You would have to ask Erik.
10-03-2006 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Question about language and the DROD world (0)  
Ezlo wrote:
First Question: As far as I know, Gob, Jeebus, and Flaming Fegundo are the only ones that the canonical holds have used.
There're definitely more. "Fracking", for example.

10-04-2006 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Here's another one.

Beethro: "Scarbations! That wubba's charging me!"
10-08-2006 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
"Holy Hoobuffins" is another.

You guys got any more that sound good and aren't too close to real swearwords? I sometimes want some more to use, but too lazy to think of more.

-Erik

10-09-2006 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Greb.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-09-2006 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
To be amusingly recursive, 'drod'. It's a sort of icky drop of goop that's not exactly nasty, but you don't want to eat anyway. Like slime or something.

10-09-2006 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
"Sweet Mother of a Spoostlefish?" -_-
10-09-2006 at 02:41 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
I've got a few:

Glubb! - In our language, dangit.
In the name of Gunthro Budkin! - Self-explanatory.
Holy roach! - Uhh. Man, that was lame!

:blush

Keep posting,

10-09-2006 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
ErikH2000 wrote:
You guys got any more that sound good and aren't too close to real swearwords? I sometimes want some more to use, but too lazy to think of more.
Gob, jeebus, & fracking aren't too close to real 'profanity'? They sound like God, Jesus, and [self-censored for knee-jerk reactors] to me.

10-09-2006 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
It actually sounds like "goblin" to me, as in "I'm not trusting another gobbing goblin". But, we're different people.

10-09-2006 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Jatopian wrote:
Gob, jeebus, & fracking aren't too close to real 'profanity'? They sound like God, Jesus, and [self-censored for knee-jerk reactors] to me.
Consider that 'Gosh' is not too close to profanity, neither is 'Dang'.

Also, 'frick'.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 10-10-2006 08:16 AM]
10-10-2006 at 08:16 AM
mrimer
Eighth exclamations add character to the world, but they aren't meant to carry any shade of religious association, connotation, or derivation.
Banjooie wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Consider that 'Gosh' is not too close to profanity, neither is 'Dang'.

Also, 'frick'.
I personally consider these close to profanity, though I'm sure I'm the exception here. And I'm not even amish. Speaking of which...what would an amish think if you told them that electricity is one of the things that makes their bodies go. But, anyway, I'm really old fashioned and always only say exclamations like, "Oh, boy" and "For crying out loud." Must be the beard.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-11-2006 05:02 AM]
10-11-2006 at 05:01 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Question about language and the DROD world (+2)  
You maniacs! You blew it up! Darn you! Gosh darn you all to heck!
10-11-2006 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Rabscuttle wrote:
You maniacs! You blew it up! Darn you! Gosh darn you all to heck!
Rabscuttle can talk?
10-11-2006 at 07:18 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ErikH2000 wrote:
"Holy Hoobuffins" is another.

-Erik

Some suggestions:

fruistnickle: (n) a type of small burrowing creature; somewhere between our mole and rabbit, with characteristics of both; it has an elongated body, 6 legs - the front pair being extremely powerful relative to the size of the creature - and a voracious (vegetarian) appetite. They are particularly fond of the fruits of the cyanozamia tree, but, fortunately, have never developed the skill of tree climbing; rather they appear at night in the cyanozamia orchards and devour windfalls, carrying any they can’t eat back to their burrows for future consumption. They breed rapidly - a healthy female can produce 8-10 offspring every month - and live in large, unruly, often incestuous, family groups. A family of fruitsnickles can devastate a field of crops in a short time (akin to locusts) and are therefore hated and hunted by the farmers of the Eighth. They have no value, the pelt being too small and rough to use and the flesh being bitter to the point of being inedible.
(n) a greedy or selfish person; one who contributes nothing useful, (pejorative).
(v) to grasp in a selfish way, to hoard, to display overpowering greed.

bartenpook: (n) (slang) derogatory term, derived from the faeces left by the species ‘bartenofoetidodinopod’, a large, wild, lizard-like creature noted for its evil smelling excrement.

brodguckster: (n) (slang, taboo) extremely objectionable, revolting person or thing; offensive, derogatory term. (derived from brod - an ugly, swamp dwelling, short limbed creature which lives by consuming the blood of it’s prey; and guck - term used to describe the unpleasant mating practices of the species 'limipellamplusostium'.)

Elfstone.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 10-11-2006 06:25 PM]
10-11-2006 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
(v) to grasp in a selfish way, to horde, to display overpowering greed.
You have *definitely* been playing too much DROD. :P
10-11-2006 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
bandit1200 wrote:
(v) to grasp in a selfish way, to horde, to display overpowering greed.
You have *definitely* been playing too much DROD. :P

Oooooops!! :rolleyes changed :blush

Elf

10-11-2006 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I wish I had found this earlier...'tis a shame I never check out the Architecture board more often. Wesley has an article on Beethro Budkin that has a list of some of his curses, so I feel that I can spread the wealth to you guys.
"Good gob!", "Gobations!", "Grebbing", "Gobbing" - It has been noted in Smitemaster circles that if Beethro were to earn a greckle every time he said one of these, he would by now be able to buy King Dugan's Castle and at least half its occupants.
"Jeebus!" - A possible reference to Jeebus the Enforcer, one of the leaders of a famous rebel Eighther clan living in Glorthorred.
"Flaming Fegundo!" - It is widely believed that Beethro says this when he is faced with a problem he considers as difficult to deal with as a Fegundo.
"Tar!" - This expletive was probably coined when Beethro suddenly met a mass of it that he wasn't expecting. It has, however, been known to have caused an entire committee of Dungeon Debaters to panic when he shouted it at someone who mentioned "seeding" during a meeting.
"Holy Hoobuffins!" - According to reports of survivors, Hoobuffins are incredibly irritating while they are attacking you (for some reason), which has led some to suggest Beethro says this when he is reasonably agitated about something.
"Scarbations!" - Apparently, Beethro uses this strange word in much the same way as "tarnations", although there has been much debate about what "tarnations" actually are.
This educational minute was sponsored by your local library. Reading is fun!

10-16-2006 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I used some of the new words brought up here in TCB dialogue. Thanks, people!

-Erik

11-03-2006 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
I'm replaying KDD (technically, I'm playing KDD 2.0), and just noticed in the level 12 entrance:
slitherbags = snakes

It also uses gawdawful, but from what I've heard about religion and DROD, I'm guessing that it shouldn't be seen as canonical language even though this is a canon source.

EDIT: slitherbags though, I like. Maybe it will be ressurected for TCB too. It really has a very Eighth feel to it, and I don't remember hearing it anywhere else.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 01-20-2007 08:19 PM]
01-20-2007 at 08:15 PM
mrimer
I just noticed in the KDD:L17 entrance text, Beethro says, "By Munbo!"

L9: Hot griddled roaches!
L12: Great galloping goblins!

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-29-2007 06:06 PM]
01-29-2007 at 05:35 PM
Ezlo
In Beethro and the Secret Society, Beethro says: "Creeping Crokus!" Sorry for the semi-necro, but I had to bring it up.
03-11-2007 at 04:06 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
"Flaming Fegundo!" - It is widely believed that Beethro says this when he is faced with a problem he considers as difficult to deal with as a Fegundo.

according to this, a fegundo is a actually a bird, one of the known animals of the Eighth, at the end of a fegundo's life, it takes a last flight with its partner and flies right into the sun, both die, and their ashes are spread across tyhe whole north part of the Eighth, the young Fegundos are born from the ashes. it is believed that the Fegundo is the only animal that can "survive" from burning in the sun.

03-30-2007 at 08:28 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Timo006 wrote:
at the end of a fegundo's life, it takes a last flight with its partner and flies right into the sun, both die, and their ashes are spread across tyhe whole north south part of the Eighth, the young Fegundos are born from the ashes.
Fixed. Apparently fegundos fly north to die and breed, but the ashes are sucked through the point and land in the south. The Eighth has a weird topology.
03-31-2007 at 12:02 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
It is an angry flaming bird. It might be just a little bit difficult to deal with, Timo006.

I mean, it's not like you can cut flame with a sword, no?

03-31-2007 at 12:05 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Question about language and the DROD world
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com