Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Spider Well (Spiders)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (21 votes)
σ 1.17
Author Name:Henri
Submitted By:Doom
Hold Name:Spider Well
Theme:Spiders
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:21
Number of Monsters:496
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Spider Well.hold (37.3 KB)
Downloaded 1625 times.
License: Other
icon Spider Well  
A small, fairly easy, hopefully fun hold containining some unusual scripting and tricks. There are also some slightly more challenging rooms that don't need to be cleared in order to make it through the hold. And yeah, this wasn't a very serious project compared to some earlier/later creations of mine.

Thanks to jbluestein, Banjooie, wallu and Ezlo for testing!
09-22-2006 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Spider Well (0)  
I'll get playing straight away.

P.S. YES! First post!

09-22-2006 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Cool. A new Doom hold! And its easy? I'll have to check this one out. And I just turned on the computer!

Keep posting,

09-22-2006 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
An easy Doom hold? Bwah?!? :-O

Shall have to play this one.

09-22-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
An anyone-edit hold by Doom? Must be good.

And no, I can't do the first secret room yet :(

09-22-2006 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
First secret room - you mean the one with the roaches and the seeps in boxes?

It's not that hard, in my opinion - there's one tactic you're not trying.

09-22-2006 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Spider Well (+1)  
Lots of fun. My favorite room is Well Bottom: 2S (also possibly the hardest of the non-secret rooms in the hold).

I give this hold an 8 with 5 brains of difficulty.

09-22-2006 at 09:59 PM
Chaco
Mastered. I liked that room too, but I think 2S2E stood out as my favorite. All the rooms were really high quality, but I think that one was just the best.

Nice story, and the "side passages" were well implemented too. Very nice use of spiders, Doom. I gave this a 9 with 4.5 brains of difficulty (I think the queen rooms in the Ice Caverns were pretty tough)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-22-2006 10:27 PM]
09-22-2006 at 10:26 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There're some truly stunning abuses-in-a-good-way of scripting. And both 2S and 2S2E are very clever (scripting-free) challenges.

Currently, I'm not convinced that 1S1E is completable, and yes, that's knowing that Chaco has already done so....

[Edit: and, yes, thirty seconds later I've conquered it. Good to know that post-and-solve works outside the H&S board.]

[Last edited by Tahnan at 09-22-2006 11:12 PM]
09-22-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
Mastered it! :)

Great little hold, 2s2e had me stumped for a while but apart from that I didn't find any of the rooms particularly difficult.

The only slight gripe that I have is that the only way of finding out the scripting of the guards on the first level was trial and error.

09-22-2006 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Andy101 wrote:
The only slight gripe that I have is that the only way of finding out the scripting of the guards on the first level was trial and error.

If you read the level description, you would find instructions as to what you can and cannot do.

09-22-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Andy101 wrote:

If you read the level description, you would find instructions as to what you can and cannot do.
Oh right. :blush

I'm not sure that I've ever stopped to read a DROD level description, why waste time reading when you could be smiting monsters? :)

[Last edited by Andy101 at 09-22-2006 11:53 PM]
09-22-2006 at 11:52 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Andy101 wrote:
Why waste time reading when you could be smiting monsters? :)

That's why.

09-23-2006 at 04:22 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I could argue how I don't like spiders (they're just hard-to-see roaches) and how I don't like the scripting in Well Bottom:1S (which was an easy room anyway), but the fact is Doom has created a very fun hold here which actually plays on the invisiblity aspect of those nasty little spiders.

Great job!
09-27-2006 at 10:18 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
larrymurk wrote:
I could argue how I don't like spiders (they're just hard-to-see roaches) and how I don't like the scripting in Well Bottom:1S (which was an easy room anyway), but the fact is Doom has created a very fun hold here which actually plays on the invisiblity aspect of those nasty little spiders.
I don't know. You could design interesting rooms that play on the invivibility of spiders, but in these rooms they could really just as well be roaches. They are just annoying. Well Bottom:2S2E relies on movement order in an annoying way, and you have to do it with spiders?

The first level has an awesome, highly original, fun idea an entire hold could have been built around, but it's disappointingly short. The rest is very ordinary. Nothing like BT or Simon's Dungeon. The two rooms in Ice Cavern are too much like a room in Lone Soldier, without the puzzle element of the original. The force arrow in the entrance of the final room irritated me. It served no purpose other than forcing me to upload a trivial score if I want the hold to register as conquered. I actually find Doom's change of heart about trivial rooms surprising, after BT and the recent discussion, and the little statement he made with this hold just detracts further from what is not such a great hold to begin with.

[Last edited by michthro at 09-27-2006 11:24 PM]
09-27-2006 at 11:22 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
michthro wrote:
larrymurk wrote:
I don't know. You could design interesting rooms that play on the invivibility of spiders, but in these rooms they could really just as well be roaches. They are just annoying. Well Bottom:2S2E relies on movement order in an annoying way, and you have to do it with spiders?
Hardly. This is probably the room where spiders instead of roaches has the smallest difference. Still, movement order is not an important part of the puzzle, and the main point of spiders instead of roaches isn't to make it more annoying to arrange the blast, but make it harder to spot the small trick.
The first level has an awesome, highly original, fun idea an entire hold could have been built around, but it's disappointingly short. The rest is very ordinary. Nothing like BT or Simon's Dungeon.
This is more or less the case. The first level is just something small and silly. (And can't really be made into anything hard or very interesting) The last level is also very simple, short, and does something I've not seen in any other hold. I agree that the level is short, but I couldn't see too many ideas that would've made it longer without giving you even more reasons to complain.
The two rooms in Ice Cavern are too much like a room in Lone Soldier, without the puzzle element of the original.
Lone Soldier, did, indeed have a similar room. Neither of those is a direct copy: One has a decoy, which changes the strategy, and the other one doesn't contain a brain, which makes the whole thing less about horde management skills.
The force arrow in the entrance of the final room irritated me. It served no purpose other than forcing me to upload a trivial score if I want the hold to register as conquered.
I had just forgotten to mark this one unscorable. No need for such a serious tone.
I actually find Doom's change of heart about trivial rooms surprising, after BT and the recent discussion, and the little statement he made with this hold just detracts further from what is not such a great hold to begin with.
I'm not sure I get the point. Change of heart about trivial rooms?
09-28-2006 at 05:31 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Well I thought this hold was short and sweet. Exactly what I've been looking for lately.

Anybody else crack the code?

09-28-2006 at 06:46 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Doom wrote:
I'm not sure I get the point. Change of heart about trivial rooms?
Ok, I shouldn't say "trivial". I mean you do seem to have changed your views on what rooms should be marked uninteresting. In BT you marked some rooms that weren't just monsterless entrances. You even marked a room that was posted about in H&S. (With which I agreed. In fact, I reminded you about that room, despite being the one who happened to have the #1 for it.) In this hold you're leaving 2- and 6-move rooms. I don't know who has the #1s, and I don't care. That's not what it's about. I'm only saying that you do seem to have changed your views, for the worse. (Yes, yes, in my opinion.)

[Last edited by michthro at 09-28-2006 10:54 AM]
09-28-2006 at 10:53 AM
Doom
Ah, I see what you mean now. I'm marking rooms just as I used to. That is, when I actually remember to mark them.

Which wasn't the case this time. I've now gone through all rooms and set the unscorable ones properly.
09-28-2006 at 11:03 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
RoboBob3000 wrote:Anybody else crack the code?

Shhh. :-)
09-28-2006 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
I seriously dig the descent level -- I've wanted a DROD-like game with similar gameplay (even before the side-scrolling compilation hold) and all new puzzle elements fitting for the angle -- and you've inspired new images of it in my head!

Two good medium-stumper rooms in the spider level as well... perfect difficulty for me. I appreciate the false leads in one of them too :)
09-28-2006 at 11:45 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Doom wrote:
The two rooms in Ice Cavern are too much like a room in Lone Soldier, without the puzzle element of the original.
Lone Soldier, did, indeed have a similar room. Neither of those is a direct copy: One has a decoy, which changes the strategy, and the other one doesn't contain a brain, which makes the whole thing less about horde management skills.
Yeah, both those rooms have me stumped, but I can't post on the Hints & Solutions forum about them. :crazy

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-30-2006 12:04 AM : removed michthro from quote tags]
09-29-2006 at 01:16 AM
Doom
Oh, of course. That's because secret rooms are automatically hidden from the room image database.

Since the hold is anyone-edit, it should be fairly safe to reveal a few more on the image list. . ...done!
09-29-2006 at 05:20 AM
Puttan
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
What is the deal with the room in Well Bottom : South 3 ?
Just seems like an empty room.
12-06-2006 at 02:28 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Examine the floor. Can you decipher a message from it?
12-06-2006 at 03:12 AM
Puttan
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Ah yes. :)
12-07-2006 at 12:50 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
deftriver wrote:
I cant get 2S! Man, I know it's not required but I would love to solve it. That's in Well Bottom.

I can't figure it out, how to get both the roach in the snake pit and the roach second down on the right.

Look here.

02-21-2008 at 01:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Spider Well (Spiders) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com